Word Processors

I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking at the
Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or are a yearly
subscription.

What is the best of the free offerings?  I would like to keep compatible
with non ribbon microsoft.

0
Gerry

Gerry was heard to say :

> I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking at the
> Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or are a yearly
> subscription.
>
> What is the best of the free offerings?  I would like to keep compatible
> with non ribbon microsoft.

Download, install and use (free) LibreOffice:
    http://www.libreoffice.org

--
Mark Cross @ 02/19/2014 3:47 a.m.
Don't let making a living prevent you from making a life. — John Wooden

0
Mark
2/19/2014 7:48:59 AM
On 19/02/2014 07:12, Gerry wrote:
> I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking at the
> Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or are a yearly
> subscription.
>
> What is the best of the free offerings?  I would like to keep compatible
> with non ribbon microsoft.

Are you looking at suites or just word processors?

Possibles:
Kingsoft (http://www.kingsoftstore.com/)
Atlantis (http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/)

I use Kingsoft Word Processor (free version).  I also have libreoffice,
which I use for envelopes and labels, as KS free doesn't do these.  It
also doesn't do macros.

--

Jeff
0
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 23:12:41 -0800, Gerry <Gerry-13@Juno.com> wrote:

>I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking at the
>Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or are a yearly
>subscription.
>
>What is the best of the free offerings?  I would like to keep compatible
>with non ribbon microsoft.

OpenOffice, or LibreOffice.

To reply by email, lose the Ks...

---

The
2/19/2014 8:57:03 AM
On 19/02/14 08:57, The Other Guy wrote:
> ...<snip>
>
> OpenOffice, or LibreOffice.

+1 to both

LibreOffice seems the marginal winner of these 2 at the moment but I
think IBM poured �1m into OpenOffice a short while ago so I'd keep my
eye on that also.

See
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/ibm-to-close-down-symphony-its-openoffice-fork/10231

--
Russell
0
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 23:12:41 -0800, Gerry <Gerry-13@Juno.com> wrote:

>I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking at the
>Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or are a yearly
>subscription.

For a word processor only you could look at

- Abi Word
http://www.abisource.com/

the real free alternative to MsOffice is LibreOffice
- Libre Office
http://www.libreoffice.org/default/

I tried Kingsoft Office once out of curiosity,
It was a high jacked (Chinese) version of an older MsOffice,
but maybe it has improved
http://www.technize.net/kingsoft-office-suite-2012-free-replacemen-microsoft-office/
http://www.kingsoftstore.com/software/kingsoft-office-freeware

and SSuite has a separate word processor
http://www.ssuitesoft.com/wordgraph.htm

(and of course you know the your very old 'new' Windows XP is obsolete
and should be replaced by something really new.)

--
Fred W. (NL)
You can only call it a peace conference
On 19.02.2014 11:12, Gerry wrote:
> I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking at the
> Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or are a yearly
> subscription.
>
> What is the best of the free offerings?  I would like to keep compatible
> with non ribbon microsoft.

Check out Focus Writer if you want a bare minimum interface.

http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/

0
Mili
2/19/2014 12:58:05 PM
On 2/19/2014 3:14 AM, FredW wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 23:12:41 -0800, Gerry <Gerry-13@Juno.com> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking at the
>> Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or are a yearly
>> subscription.
>
> For a word processor only you could look at
>
> - Abi Word
> http://www.abisource.com/

Abi Word looks interesting to me has anybody any experience with it?
Open Office is a contender as well.

> the real free alternative to MsOffice is LibreOffice
> - Libre Office
> http://www.libreoffice.org/default/
>
> I tried Kingsoft Office once out of curiosity,
> It was a high jacked (Chinese) version of an older MsOffice,
> but maybe it has improved
> http://www.technize.net/kingsoft-office-suite-2012-free-replacemen-microsoft-office/
> http://www.kingsoftstore.com/software/kingsoft-office-freeware
>
> and SSuite has a separate word processor
> http://www.ssuitesoft.com/wordgraph.htm
>

> (and of course you know the your very old 'new' Windows XP is obsolete
> and should be replaced by something really new.)

0
Gerry
2/19/2014 4:54:25 PM
On 2/19/2014 10:54 AM, Gerry wrote:
> On 2/19/2014 3:14 AM, FredW wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 23:12:41 -0800, Gerry <Gerry-13@Juno.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking at the
>>> Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or are a yearly
>>> subscription.
>>
>> For a word processor only you could look at
>>
>> - Abi Word
>> http://www.abisource.com/
>
> Abi Word looks interesting to me has anybody any experience with it?
> Open Office is a contender as well.

I've used Abiword in a Linux environment and it is pretty good as long
as you stick to either its native format or .doc.  As I recall, .docx is
problematic.  And its native format is best as long as you don't require
interoperability with users of Word.

It is worlds lighter than Open/Libre Office, but Libre is probably the
most feature-complete option available, if you don't mind the heavier
footprint.  I believe you *can* just install the Word processor out of
the Libre Office suite, if you don't need the spreadsheet and
presentation modules.

0
Tim
2/19/2014 6:11:09 PM
Gerry wrote:

> I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking at
> the Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or are a
> yearly subscription.
>
> What is the best of the free offerings?  I would like to keep
> compatible with non ribbon microsoft.

Libre Office will work with all the Microsoft Office file formats.
0
John
2/19/2014 6:47:16 PM
John Weiss wrote:
> Gerry wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking at
>> the Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or are a
>> yearly subscription.
>>
>> What is the best of the free offerings?  I would like to keep
>> compatible with non ribbon microsoft.
>
> Libre Office will work with all the Microsoft Office file formats.

It does, but there are limitations.

Libre's Writer (as does OpenOffice Writer) work in ODF, as the internal
operating format.  Thus, if you open a .DOC or .DOCX file in Writer, the
content is translated to .ODF.  Then, if you save results in .DOC or
..DOCX, then an additional translation has to happen.

If you don't have a lot of interoperability needs with others who use
Word, then that's probably not an issue.  However, if you do have such
needs, then that's cause for consideration.

In my experience, I've seen this most often be an issue is for documents
where the content is much more than simple text and commonly-used fonts.
  If you do a lot of internal formatting, graphics, tables, etc., then
those can be disrupted in the translation.  And even then, translation
often needs to be a one-time thing (i.e., .DOC to .ODF), and not
translated back and forth repeatedly.  As with multiple generations of
analog copies, you lose some fidelity in each format change.

One particular thing that translations disrupt is the capacity for doing
comparison and merging of documents, when you're doing collaborative
development.  To me, this is one of the strongest features of Word.
Writer has a similar capacity, but it's far less developed in Writer,
and it's not really compatible with the way that Microsoft does it in
Word.  Thus, if you have a document created in Word, then edit in
Writer, then save back to .DOC or .DOCX, there is enough disruption of
the underlying HTML that it's pretty much impossible to merge with other
copies of the document edited in Word.

For shared document creation, it's pretty much essential that all the
participants are working in Word, or all working in Writer, and it
doesn't really work if everybody isn't using the same platform.

I have a co-worker that constantly advocates for using non-Microsoft
stuff, as a way of defending against problems from monoculture.  It's
not necessarily a bad idea, but the reality is that, for better or
worse, Microsoft's formats are a de facto standard, and that
non-Microsoft products lack fidelity to that standard, in varying degrees.

The other noteworthy limitation to Writer is that its reviewing options
(spell-checker, grammar checker, hyphenator) are somewhat limited, by
comparison to Microsoft.

Also, as is typical for many open-source projects, the graphical quality
of Libre's user interface has a somewhat rough feel to it.  On the other
hand, if you don't like the Microsoft ribbon, it's one way to avoid that.

If you don't need to do a lot of interoperability with others who use
Word, or if you don't do a lot of elaborately formatted documents, then
Libre Office, OpenOffice or other implementations of ODF (such as Lotus
Symphony) are probably fine.  It's just that the two products aren't
totally interchangeable.

I should note that for my own use, if I'm doing a quick project, without
a lot of formatting work, or if I don't have to share with others, I
tend to use Libre Writer.  But if I'm working on stuff with others who
use Office, then I generally use Word.

Smith
0
NFN
2/19/2014 7:34:28 PM
On 2/19/2014 11:34 AM, NFN Smith wrote:

Thanks for the extensive comments.  This is the sort of information I need.

Thanks
Gerry

0
Gerry
2/19/2014 8:12:31 PM
On 2/19/2014 10:11 AM, Tim wrote:

Thanks for the critique Tim.
0
Gerry
2/19/2014 8:15:43 PM
Gerry <Gerry-13@Juno.com> wrote:

> On 2/19/2014 11:34 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
>
> Thanks for the extensive comments.  This is the sort of
> information I need.

Be aware that NO office suite or word processor offers 100%
compatibility with MS Office or MS Word so it depends on your needs.

Complex Word, Excel or Access documents will lose formatting in OO or
Libre Office or any other software.  For most use, any of those
mentioned will work but if you're in a work from home situation where
you need to import MS Office documents and then return them to your
work they may arrive totally FUBAR!

If you need 100% compatibility earlier versions of MS Office are
available for reasonable prices and, if you get MS Office 2003 or
later, will be compatible although you may need to download some of the
free converters from MS.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
XS11E
2/19/2014 9:02:27 PM
NFN Smith wrote:

>>> I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking
>>> at the Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or
>>> are a yearly subscription.
>>>
>>> What is the best of the free offerings?  I would like to keep
>>> compatible with non ribbon microsoft.
>>
>> Libre Office will work with all the Microsoft Office file formats.
>
> It does, but there are limitations.
>
> Libre's Writer (as does OpenOffice Writer) work in ODF, as the
> internal operating format.  Thus, if you open a .DOC or .DOCX file in
> Writer, the content is translated to .ODF.  Then, if you save results
> in .DOC or .DOCX, then an additional translation has to happen.
>
> If you don't have a lot of interoperability needs with others who use
> Word, then that's probably not an issue.  However, if you do have
> such needs, then that's cause for consideration.

In context, though, any limitations are likely to be moot.  Note the OP
is specifically looking for a FREE solution on an XP rig.  If he is a
serious home-business person doing a lot of collaboration, he would be
at Win7 and Office 2003 as a minimum already...
0
John
2/19/2014 9:55:45 PM
On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 03:48:59 -0400, Mark Cross <none@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Gerry was heard to say :
>
>> I am looking for a new word processor for my new Win XP.  Looking at the
>> Microsoft Office Suites offerings they are too pricy or are a yearly
>> subscription.
>>
>> What is the best of the free offerings?  I would like to keep compatible
>> with non ribbon microsoft.
>
>Download, install and use (free) LibreOffice:
>    http://www.libreoffice.org

+1
0
oldbob
2/20/2014 3:47:52 AM
The Other Guy <KnewsKgnus@gmail.com> wrote in

> OpenOffice, or LibreOffice.

Have not used LibreOffice, but, FWIW, I have found OO to be a great
alternative to Word.  For one thing it uses a lot of the same 'keyboard
shortcuts' as MS Word.  I have been using it instead of word for a while
now and have never regretted it <g>

0
Mike
2/23/2014 1:42:06 AM
On 2014/02/23 10:42, Mike D wrote:
> The Other Guy <KnewsKgnus@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> OpenOffice, or LibreOffice.
>
> Have not used LibreOffice, but, FWIW, I have found OO to be a great
> alternative to Word.  For one thing it uses a lot of the same 'keyboard
> shortcuts' as MS Word.  I have been using it instead of word for a while
> now and have never regretted it <g>

I moved on from Office 97 to LibreOfice. The only drawback I ever found
was that the macros I had no longer worked. I think that's true of Open
Office as well.
0
Chris
2/23/2014 2:38:42 AM
On 2/22/2014 6:38 PM, Chris (Hunt) wrote:
> On 2014/02/23 10:42, Mike D wrote:
>> The Other Guy <KnewsKgnus@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> OpenOffice, or LibreOffice.
>>
>> Have not used LibreOffice, but, FWIW, I have found OO to be a great
>> alternative to Word.  For one thing it uses a lot of the same 'keyboard
>> shortcuts' as MS Word.  I have been using it instead of word for a while
>> now and have never regretted it <g>
>>

> I moved on from Office 97 to LibreOfice. The only drawback I ever found
> was that the macros I had no longer worked. I think that's true of Open
> Office as well.

The last two posts by Mike and Chris have made up my mind to go to Open
Office.

Thank you all that have participated in this thread.

0
Gerry
2/23/2014 4:32:38 PM
Gerry wrote:

> The last two posts by Mike and Chris have made up my mind to go to
> Open Office.
>
> Thank you all that have participated in this thread.

I don't know if Open Office is being developed any more.  The open
source follow-on that is still being developed is Libre Office.
Current version is 4.1.0, AFAIK.
0
John
2/23/2014 6:40:22 PM
On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:40:22 +0000 (UTC), "John Weiss"
<jrweiss98020@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know if Open Office is being developed any more.  The open
>source follow-on that is still being developed is Libre Office.
>Current version is 4.1.0, AFAIK.

And we have version 4.2.1
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable

--
Fred W. (NL)
You can only call it a peace conference
if you solve a war.
Loesje
0
FredW
2/23/2014 9:12:03 PM
On 2/23/2014 12:40 PM, John Weiss wrote:
> Gerry wrote:
>
>> The last two posts by Mike and Chris have made up my mind to go to
>> Open Office.
>>
>> Thank you all that have participated in this thread.
>
> I don't know if Open Office is being developed any more.  The open
> source follow-on that is still being developed is Libre Office.
> Current version is 4.1.0, AFAIK.

Agreed.  If you're going to use OpenOffice, you might as well use
LibreOffice.  They are functionally very similar, but LibreOffice is
more actively maintained.
0
Tim
2/24/2014 2:38:50 PM
Tim wrote:
>> >I don't know if Open Office is being developed any more.  The open
>> >source follow-on that is still being developed is Libre Office.
>> >Current version is 4.1.0, AFAIK.
>> >
> Agreed.  If you're going to use OpenOffice, you might as well use
> LibreOffice.  They are functionally very similar, but LibreOffice is
> more actively maintained.

Both are being maintained, although Libre has more active development.

Since the time of the fork, Oracle has removed itself from the picture,
transferring responsibility for the OpenOffice code to the Apache
Foundation.  Apache may be best known for their web server, but they
host an impressive number of open-source projects:
https://projects.apache.org/indexes/category.html

As for OpenOffice, it's noteworthy that when IBM halted development of
Symphony (based on OpenOffice, with a different user interface) in 2012,
they donated their code (and an impressive sum of cash) to Apache.

For practical purposes, most people won't find significant differences
between the two, although new features will generally turn up in
LibreOffice before you see them in OpenOffice.  But both are viable options.

Smith

0
NFN

word processor
Name: Andrew Email: pay113pal_at_hotmail.com Product: Bon Echo Summary: word processor Comments: Everything looks great so far, but there needs to be a way to open a word processor in a tab. I would prefer word, but if not then ODF format would be great too. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1a2) Gecko/20060512 BonEcho/2.0a2 ...

Word Processor
Hi all, I've been browsing round the web and came accross this website: http://www.rssol.com/en/ Atlantis Word Processor. It comes in 2 versions the Atlantis Mind Ocean which is $30 shareware and also a light edition called Atlantis Nova (freeware). It seems one can download an older free full version as well (v0.7). What amazed me was reading the forums. There are people who actually dropped Word and Wordperfect for this app. I'm downloading it now and will try it out and let you all know. (I have PC602 Pro currently, but it installs other stuff that I don't want a...

word processor
Hello All, Plase tell me Solution : I am working with PowerBuilder 7.0 and MS Sqlserver 2000, for hint i want to make llike given in ACT or othere software. I am tring to make preformated latters, so that i will take address and personal information from database and can do mailmearge and the can make there own template. that is user can change the position of field and it will save all the changes to that template, next time it will come with that new position with changed format. yes, powerbuilder have richtext control and i have one data representation window with richtex...

word processor
Is it possible to assign a word processor of my choice(MS WORD) into SeaMonkey? On 5/28/2006 8:33 AM herbzee created this reply > Is it possible to assign a word processor of my choice(MS WORD) into > SeaMonkey? How do you mean assign a word processor to SeaMonkey? If you receive a MS Word document as an attachment SM should allow you to open the attached file in MS Word. Be very cautious of opening .doc files as attachments it seems the Hackers have discovered new security holes in the Word 2003 Macro functions and are embedding trojans into their attached files. If...

word processor #2
Name: chris magnelli Email: themasterofrealityatgmaildotcom Product: Other (please state) Summary: word processor Comments: you guys should start developing a word processor. microsoft word keeps getting harder to use with each release. the 2007 version has more glitches than ever. you should make your word processor compatible with microsoft though. it would be really nice to see mozilla make a word processing program. just a suggestion Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 ...

Any
Is there any free ware that simulate a word processor? eg. There are undo, redo, bold, underline, ...etc buttons at the top, and the text editor area at the bottom of the screen? "Alan Tse" <alan_NO_SPAM_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:158435@forums.codegear.com... > Is there any free ware that simulate a word processor? > eg. > There are undo, redo, bold, underline, ...etc buttons at the top, and the > text editor area at the bottom of the screen? Try richeditdemo that comes with Delphi E C wrote: > "Alan Tse" <alan_NO...

When not to use a word processor
When not to use a word processor http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/12/21/1713256 *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** Word processors are too often made to do much more than they were originally designed for. If a word processing program is all you've ever had or used for your projects, you may have a tendency to use it for every writing job that you have, even if it is more difficult or inconvenient to do so. For specialized jobs there are specialized tools, so what is ...

Word for word compare
I am looking for tools/SDK/components that can do a word for word compare between 2 stringlist and show the differences like missing and added text in some way. Any help or recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Andrew ...

Search for a word in between words
To give you even more information, in my datafile, the word that I am searching for is 'marked' by the word in the line before it. For example, the lines in my datafile look like.. line 1 line 2 line 2 Installation example Installation line 4 line 5 line 6 and all I want is the word in between the words Installation. Because I don't know what the word in between the words Installation will be, I'm not actually searching for the word Installation but for the word in the next line after Installation. Does that make sense? Any ideas? while(<IN>...

Displaying word by word
Hi All,I have a small seemingly trivial task which i just can not get working. I have a text box on a form, which fills text stored in a string and written to via the .Text() property. It displays this all in one go, which is fine, but i need for it to display it word by word and for there to be a delay of x milliseconds between words. The requirement for the application im writing is geared towards accessibility for impaired users. I've split the string into words using space and '.' as delimiters, and cant seem to go further. I can probably manage it through javascript, but d...

The free 602 Word Processor
Hi , I've been using the 602Text WP for some months now. I am very satisfied and find it easier to play with than Word. The MS Office stuff seems clumsy in comparison and I am pissed off that I paid money for it only to have many years of niggling problems especially lately with Office XP. I am considering using the 602 Office Suite...........has anybody any experience with the Excel and Access analogues ?? I would be interested to hear. Regards................................Caligula ""Oderint dum metuant "" Caligula <mxv714@bigpondREMOVE.com> ...

PB & Word Processor
Hi, Does anyone knows if exists a word processor that I can use with PB to implement a Legal Document Database ?? What I want to do is that every user can Create a New Document in a Word Processor and store it in a Data Base, not in your local drive (C,D, ...). This word processor must be disable the following commands: Save, Send To and any other command that permit to share the documents other than Documents Database. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, Pablo A. Escobar ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com...

Finding words between words...
Hey all, Does any one know how I would go about finding everything between the words of... In: <AND> Your? So if I have a sentance with the following... Hello all this In: America (New York) Your So is there some perl code that will extract America (New York). Keep in mind tha t everything between In: <AND> Your will change. Thx, Dan I think this will do what you're asking, but I can't test it. $line =~ s/In:(.*)Your/In:($newstring)Your/; # substitute In: followed by any number of anything followed by Your # with In: followed by $newstring...

Version control friendly word processor
Hi, Currently I use Microsoft Word 2003 to create project related documentation (such as proposal, project requirement, tech-spec, job distribution, etc) and frequently this documents need to be shared and reviewed by the few/all members in the team, realizing that word document is in binary format it would be pain if more than one person review and submit their review into version control since it would conflict and merging it would finally tends to corrupt the document. Does OpenOffice document (.odf), for example, is version control friendly? Regards, -Jaimy. > C...

Web resources about - Word Processors - grc.techtalk

Processor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Microsoft To Only Support New Processors On Windows 10
Microsoft has long been the bastion of long term support for older platforms, so today’s support news out of Redmond is particularly surprising. ...

ARM unveils 4K capable Mali-DP650 mobile display processor
Displays have been one of the fastest moving pieces of mobile technology in the past few years, quickly leaping up from HD to QHDs resolution ...

AMD’s datacenter ARM processors finally hit the market
Is this chip going to be the one to make ARM a serious force in the datacenter? (credit: AMD) AMD has started volume shipments of its "Seattle" ...

Xiaomi's new Redmi Note 3 with Qualcomm Snapdragon processor will launch in India
Xiaomi announced Redmi Note 3 last year, in late-November, alongside the Mi Pad 2 slate. The affordable phablet, which sports a metal body and ...

Intel’s newest processor is arriving in PCs – and it has a weird math bug
If you bought a PC over the holidays chances are it came with Intel’s newest processor. That chip also comes with an obscure bug – that, fortunately, ...

Processor company Nvidia's new car-mounted supercomputer is as powerful as 150 MacBook Pros
Graphics processor company Nvidia used this week's CES 2016 mega-event to introduce its Nvidia Drive PX 2, billed by CEO Jen-Hsun Huang the “world’s ...

Intel gives Xiaomi special deal on notebook processors
To strengthen its partnership with China-based Xiaomi in the mobile device market, Intel has provided special deals to the China-based vendor. ...

Microsoft won't support old Windows versions on new processors
Were you hoping to get a new Windows PC in the office this year without having to move to Windows 10 in the process? You might not have much ...

AMD’s first ARM-based processor, the Opteron A1100, is finally here
The new Opteron A1100 packs eight Cortex-A57 CPU cores, with each pair of cores sharing a 1MB L2 (512K effectively allocated to each chip). An ...