Windows XP To Windows 7 A Risky Path, Microsoft Warns

Businesses that skip Windows Vista and upgrade their computers directly from
the XP operating system to Windows 7 could expose themselves to security
risks and other problems, Microsoft says in a new white paper.

Bypassing Vista could have "implications for security, support, and
regulatory compliance and reduce flexibility in the face of changing
business requirements," writes Microsoft VP Mike Nash, in the paper.

Specifically, Nash says that businesses that wait for Windows 7 -- set for
release in late 2009 or early 2010 -- to upgrade from XP could find
themselves using outdated applications that don't employ proper security
safeguards or are no longer supported.

They also won't get the advantage of new security technologies and other
improvements that Microsoft embedded in Vista, Nash says. "By not deploying
Windows Vista, it means missing out on the proven benefits such as better
security, productivity, search, mobility, manageability and infrastructure
optimization," Nash says in the paper, which is titled "The Business Value
Of Windows Vista."
http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208402585&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

--
"Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly"

0
paradoX

paradoX wrote:

> Businesses that skip Windows Vista and upgrade their computers directly
> from the XP operating system to Windows 7 could expose themselves to
> security risks and other problems, Microsoft says in a new white paper.
>
> Bypassing Vista could have "implications for security, support, and
> regulatory compliance and reduce flexibility in the face of changing
> business requirements," writes Microsoft VP Mike Nash, in the paper.
>
> Specifically, Nash says that businesses that wait for Windows 7 -- set
> for release in late 2009 or early 2010 -- to upgrade from XP could find
> themselves using outdated applications that don't employ proper security
> safeguards or are no longer supported.
>
> They also won't get the advantage of new security technologies and other
> improvements that Microsoft embedded in Vista, Nash says. "By not
> deploying Windows Vista, it means missing out on the proven benefits
> such as better security, productivity, search, mobility, manageability
> and infrastructure optimization," Nash says in the paper, which is
> titled "The Business Value Of Windows Vista."
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208402585&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

Are they saying that 'while using XP' they are missing out on all this
wonderfulness, or are they suggesting that when finally upgrading to
Win7 that something about the upgrade path from XP prevents all this
wonderfulness from being applied?  I suspect that they mean the former,
but it sure sounds like they mean the latter.  I can't imagine that this
might be intentional obfuscation.  It must be me...
0
nobody
6/9/2008 4:22:08 PM
paradoX wrote:

> Businesses that skip Windows Vista and upgrade their computers directly
> from the XP operating system to Windows 7 could expose themselves to
> security risks and other problems, Microsoft says in a new white paper.

You would expect them to say anything else???

--
Mark Warner
SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
"paradoX" <paradoX@lupa.cc> wrote in message news:g2jiu7$138n$1@news.grc.com...

> Businesses that skip Windows Vista and upgrade their computers directly from the XP operating system to
> Windows 7 could expose themselves to security risks and other problems, Microsoft says in a new white paper.

Makes no sense. What about a clean install of 7 on a new machine??

--

Steve
95isalive

0
95isalive
6/9/2008 5:25:26 PM
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 12:23:14 -0400, Mark Warner said:

> paradoX wrote:
>>
>> Businesses that skip Windows Vista and upgrade their computers directly
>> from the XP operating system to Windows 7 could expose themselves to
>> security risks and other problems, Microsoft says in a new white paper.
>
> You would expect them to say anything else???

MS would do themselves a favour by saying nothing at all. That sort of
patronising attitude on Microsoft's part tells us quite a lot about how
poor their management are, and how they (mistakenly) assume that other
businesses are as badly run.

By the time Windows 7 comes out, many businesses will be so sick of
reading this guff that they will have arranged to switch to another OS
supplier entirely. So it won't be an issue at all.

--
Kiyomori
0
95isalive wrote:
> "paradoX" <paradoX@lupa.cc> wrote in message news:g2jiu7$138n$1@news.grc.com...
>> Businesses that skip Windows Vista and upgrade their computers directly from the XP operating system to
>> Windows 7 could expose themselves to security risks and other problems, Microsoft says in a new white paper.
>
> Makes no sense. What about a clean install of 7 on a new machine??

As I mention in my post above, I think this is just badly, or cagily
stated.  If it meant what it says, that would be just another reason to
leave the MS platforms, rather than pushing folks to upgrade
(downgrade?) to Vista in the first place.

I'm betting they will change the wording in the white paper.
0
nobody
6/9/2008 6:19:30 PM
"95isalive" <admin@95isalive.com> wrote in message
> Makes no sense. What about a clean install of 7 on a new machine??
>
> --
>
> Steve
> 95isalive

We will wait & see, The Statement is perspective M$ as a sales PR ???

--
"Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly"

0
paradoX
6/9/2008 6:21:07 PM
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:40:39 -0600, "paradoX" <paradoX@lupa.cc> wrote:

>Businesses that skip Windows Vista and upgrade their computers directly from
>the XP operating system to Windows 7 could expose themselves to security
>risks and other problems, Microsoft says in a new white paper.

And the White Paper is here,
<http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/C/D/8CD43224-5A47-436C-A21E-9DF78F1E9AFC/The_Business_Value_of_Windows_Vista.pdf>

------start quote from page 3-----
Table of Contents
Five Reasons to Deploy Windows Vista Now:
    1. Improves the Security of PCs and Confidential Data                  5
    2. Unlocks the Potential of Today?s Mobile PCs                         8
    3. Makes You and Your People More Productive                          10
    4. Speeds ROI with Rapid Deployment and Migration                     12
    5. Reduces Support and Management Costs                               14
Don?t Wait for Windows 7?Realize the Benefits of Windows Vista Now        16
A Conversation with Daniel Heinzmann, OIZ Director for the City of Zurich 18
-----end quote-----

-----start quote from page 1-----
When should I invest in a new desktop operating system? If you?re like most of the IT
leaders I talk to, you?ve been asked that question at least once in the last year. And,
if you are like most, you have also asked yourself, ?Will the benefits outweigh the
costs?? ?Will this still look like a good decision in two or three years?? and ?Given lim-
ited resources, is an OS the best thing to invest in right now??
-----end quote---

While it's not obvious, it looks like Mike Nash is trying to persuade business customers
to upgrade their Windows XP systems to Windows Vista on the same hardware.

And finally . . .

----start quote from page 20-----
The information contained in this document represents the current view of Microsoft Corporation on
the issues discussed as of the date of publication. Because Microsoft
must respond to changing market conditions, it should not be interpreted to be a commitment on the
part of Microsoft, and Microsoft cannot guarantee the accuracy of
any information presented after the date of publication.
-----end quote-----

IMO - just more FUD to pump up the cash flow.
0
vince
6/9/2008 6:51:16 PM
"95isalive" <admin@95isalive.com> wrote:

> "paradoX" <paradoX@lupa.cc> wrote in message
>>
>> Businesses that skip Windows Vista and upgrade their computers
>> directly from the XP operating system to Windows 7 could expose
>> themselves to security risks and other problems, Microsoft says
>> in a new white paper.
>
> Makes no sense. What about a clean install of 7 on a new machine??

The article specifically states "upgrade their computers directly from
the XP operating system to Windows 7".

I'm guessing that MSFT has no intention of having the install of
Windows 7 remove malware, they're relying on Vista's security measures
to prevent it.

To me, it's a giant "who cares", everyone knows (or should know) that
upgrading  is an invitation to potential disaster, I believe you must
either backup and do a clean install or be prepared for problems.

As always, YMMV!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
0
XS11E
6/9/2008 7:58:31 PM
If I was a business and looking at Windows 7 coming out in 2009 I wouldn't
waste my time trying to put together a migration plan for Vista. By the time
the planning all got done and get ready for the roll-out there is a good
chance Windows 7 would be here (or darn close).

0
Nobody

Microsoft: Windows XP to Windows 7 upgrade possible <??? Hardware compatibility ;-
Microsoft has confirmed that customers can purchase upgrade media and an upgrade license at a discounted price to move from Windows XP to Windows 7. However, customers need to do a clean installation of Windows 7. The pricing details of XP upgrade licenses are not yet known. An operating system... http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/02/04/microsoft-windows-xp-to-windows-7-upgrade-possible--"Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly" In article <gmcg68$250l$1@news.grc.com>, paradoX@lupa.cc says... > Microsoft has confirmed that customers can purchase upgrade media ...

How To Replace Windows XP With Windows 7
Many Windows XP users have decided to skip the Windows Vista operating system due to countless problems reported in the early days of its release. Especially performance related issues where the main culprit why many Windows XP users decided to wait for Vista's successor instead. The release of Windows 7 is not that far away anymore. Microsoft did already make announcements regarding the possible upgrade opportunities. In short; Windows XP users will be able to buy an upgrade edition of Windows 7 but will not be able to upgrade the operating system itself to Windows 7. They ...

Problem in Windows XP but not in Windows 7
Hello, I have installed PB 11.5 in a Windows 7. I developed an application that connects to an Oracle database using the O10 controller. I created the executable file and I leave it in a shared folder that other useres in my organization can access. In this folder I copy the content of the c:\program files\sybase\shared\powerbuilder to allow my users run the program. In the program there is a window that has a datawindow which insert files in the database. In clients with windows 7 works fine, but in clients with windows XP when I run the command dw_1.update() I get a...

The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000
The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/?id=890830 *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** Microsoft has released the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool to help remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft W...

Problem with SmtpMail with Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Microsoft Windows XP Professional
have this problem when use the Imports System.Web.Mail  If CStr("Microsoft Windows XP Professional").Equals(Session("SO")) Then                     Dim objectEmail As New MailMessage()                                         objectEmail.From = from.text                  ...

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-D896-482E-A0D6-524E7E844D81&displaylang=en -- Sired, Squired, Hired, RETIRED. Retired wrote: > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-D896-482E-A0D6-524E7E844D81&displaylang=en > From the release notes: Why Version 5.7? The primary reason for changing the version number from 5.6 to 5.7 is to simplify servicing and support by synchronizing the versioning to a consistent scheme based on Vista build number. The minor version increase does not indicate significant new f...

IBM OEM Microsoft Windows XP And Windows XP SP1 Default Administration Account Vulnerability
IBM OEM Microsoft Windows XP And Windows XP SP1 are both reported to contain a default passwordless administrative account. Reportedly, during the installation process of IBMs OEM version of Windows XP and Windows XP SP1, the process automatically creates an administrator account and fails to set a password for it. The user is not made aware of the account during installation. Users installing this version of Microsoft Windows may fail to properly secure this account, allowing for local attackers to gain administrative privileges. Network access to accounts without passwords ...

Microsoft to Release Windows XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N in Europe
REDMOND, Wash. - June 8, 2005 - Microsoft Corp. today announced the timetable for availability of Windows´┐Ż XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N, the two versions of the Windows operating system created as part of the company's compliance with the European Commission's decision of March 2004. Originally released to computer makers in January 2005, the latest versions of the XP operating systems without Windows Media Player follow further clarifications from the European Commission. These products will be made available to computer manufacturers on June 15 in English, ...

Dual Booting Open SUSE 11.2 and Windows 7, Windows 7 not loading (Windows 7 installed first)
Hi everybody i know there may be many threads on this topic but I have researched and still cant seem to get Windows 7 working when the GRUB menu appears but Open SUSE 11.2 works fine.. This is the first time installing Open SUSE 11.2. I created two partitions (swap and Suse 11.2) in Windows 7 before installing Open SUSE 11.2. Open SUSE 11.2 automatically created an extra two partitions (one was swap and the other i guess is where SUSE was installed?), i should have gone into expert mode and left my original partitions but i decided to let SUSE do it and i deleted the partitions i...

URL Handling Vulnerability in Windows XP and Windows Server,2003 with Windows Internet Explorer 7 Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Boy, that's a long subject line - but it's the title of Microsoft's KB article: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/943521.mspx -- Microsoft details (a bit) its changes to URL, more correctly URI, handling in IE 7 on WinXP and Windows 2003. The problem is that IE 7 code "tries to fix up" malformed URIs, then passes the fixed-up URI to the ShellExecute procedure (on XP and Win2003). http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2007/10/10/msrc-blog-additional-details-and-background-on-security-advisory-943521.aspx OR http://tinyurl.com/yoadp8 ...

Microsoft marks Windows' anniversary with Windows 7
More > http://go.theregister.com/news/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/11/wi= ndows_past/ --=20 Randy http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx ...

setting up a network between Windows XP, Windows 7 opensuse
Hi I need some advise about setting up a wireless network, never had to do this before. My partner has just purchased a fancy laptop, which will have windows7. I have a desktop with two hard drives one with Opensuse 11.2 64 bits, the other with Windows XP. At present my box is connect directly via cable to the netgear DG834Gv2 router, that comes with me ISP.. May questions are; - can i have my box cabled to the router at the same time as using the router to connect the laptop by wireless? - Does Suse have a program for setting up such networks? I have the feeling this could be a ...

How to use Microsoft Games from Windows 7 in Windows 8
I was more than a little ticked off when after installing Win8 to find that Solitaire, Chess, Hearts, etc were no longer there. They won't run if copied over either. You can go and DL new versions free but they are ad driven. You can buy versions that won't display ads but to me this was a lotta BS. Here's a fix so the Win7 games will run under Win8. http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/33214-How-to-use-Microsoft-Games-from-Windows-7-in-Windows-8 ...

Security Permissions for Printer on Windows XP and Windows 7
Hello, We are a big company with a lot of Iprint Netware servers at every location. We are at the testing phase where we will be creating the new OES Iprint server for every location running on SUSE LINUX. I am almost done with the Iprint configuration at every location. When I install the driver from IPP page of the server, installation goes great for Win 7 64 bit but when I go to Devices and Printers - Properties of the Printer - Security Tab. I see Everyone, Creator Owner, Administrators and Power users user group can Print, Manage Printer, Manager Documents so in short all of ...

Web resources about - Windows XP To Windows 7 A Risky Path, Microsoft Warns - grc.techtalk

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message