Will Windows 7 install over Windows 7 Trial Edition

A couple new systems were shipped with Windows 7 Trial Edition, timebombed to stop
working after so many months

Can a retail version of Windows 7 be installed over the Trial Edition ?

0
mgwmp

"mgwmp" <p.zie@cnn.com> wrote in message news:ha4jid$2lmg$1@news.grc.com...
>A couple new systems were shipped with Windows 7 Trial Edition, timebombed
>to stop working after so many months
>
> Can a retail version of Windows 7 be installed over the Trial Edition ?

It depends on which "trial edition."  If it was the RTM, then this is
identical to the retail version.  All you will have to do is enter a new key
and activate the windows installation.

It is possible to upgrade the RC1, but it includes several "hacks" to do.

For the beta you would first have to performs the "hacks" to upgrade it to
the RC and then repeat to the RTM.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading from either the beta or the RC.

- Brad

0
Brad
10/2/2009 3:07:04 PM
"mgwmp" <p.zie@cnn.com> wrote in message =
> A couple new systems were shipped with Windows 7 Trial Edition, =
timebombed=20
> to stop working after so many months
>
> Can a retail version of Windows 7 be installed over the Trial Edition =
?

<Quote>
I wouldn't recommend upgrading from either the beta or the RC.

- Brad </Quote>

I agree with Brad but I am in no rush as it won't time out until March =
2010=20
I believe.

I am running Evaluation copy. build 7100 and will backup my data to a =
USB=20
external hard drive I have then when I have Windows 7 Home Premium =
shortly=20
after October 22nd I'll FORMAT the hard drive then install it fresh then =

restore my backed up data:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare-editions/home-premium.=
aspx

--=20
YoKenny
Windows 7 is great

=20

0
YoKenny
10/3/2009 9:31:43 AM
"YoKenny" <YoKenny@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
"mgwmp" <p.zie@cnn.com> wrote in message news:ha4jid$2lmg$1@news.grc.com...

I am running Evaluation copy. build 7100 and will backup my data to a USB
external hard drive I have then when I have Windows 7 Home Premium shortly
after October 22nd I'll FORMAT the hard drive then install it fresh then
restore my backed up data:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare-editions/home-premium.aspx

You can also do a clean (full) install and the Windows install should copy
all your old files to c:\windows.old\

- Brad

0
Brad
10/3/2009 3:36:03 PM
Brad wrote:
> It depends on which "trial edition."  If it was the RTM, then this is
> identical to the retail version.  All you will have to do is enter a new key
> and activate the windows installation.

My MSDN Sub just gave me this one

en_windows_7_ultimate_x64_dvd_x15-65922.iso

....now, which version is this? It is the *only* 64bit version available on my Volume
License and is not a beta or RCanything

how is the "..... all you will have to do is to enter a new key ... " part done?

yes, I do have my own volume license key

The Evaluation version state on the right side bottom of desktop "Build 7100"

0
mgwmp
10/3/2009 4:58:09 PM
"mgwmp" <p.zie@cnn.com> wrote in message news:ha7vrb$28g8$1@news.grc.com...
> Brad wrote:
>> It depends on which "trial edition."  If it was the RTM, then this is
>> identical to the retail version.  All you will have to do is enter a new
>> key
>> and activate the windows installation.
>
> My MSDN Sub just gave me this one
>
> en_windows_7_ultimate_x64_dvd_x15-65922.iso

On my MSDN I have en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_....iso

That is the 32 bit version

- Brad

0
Brad
10/3/2009 6:54:05 PM
I have a 64 bit system, thus I install 64 and not 32 bit

Windows 7 sees and uses all of my 12 gb RAM

Now, how do I use my Retail Key in the Evaluation version to activate it ?

There is nothing in my MSDN or TechNET Plus Subscriber page to advise on next steps

Clearly, I can reinstall over but if not necessary..... ?

0
mgwmp
10/3/2009 7:59:01 PM
Control Panel, System, Change Product Key

ok, done
0
mgwmp
10/3/2009 8:41:56 PM
> I wouldn't recommend upgrading from either the beta or the RC.

another machine has just been shipped to us from a component builder and this one
refuses to accept the retail/volume license key despite the system itself reporting
"Evaluation version Build 7100"

so, if this system (fully configured!!) is over-installed with my MSDN Volume version,
do all the installed apps stop working or will it behave like XP overinstall where it
warns but once system comes back from final reboot, all the apps are still there ?

0
mgwmp

Dual Booting Open SUSE 11.2 and Windows 7, Windows 7 not loading (Windows 7 installed first)
Hi everybody i know there may be many threads on this topic but I have researched and still cant seem to get Windows 7 working when the GRUB menu appears but Open SUSE 11.2 works fine.. This is the first time installing Open SUSE 11.2. I created two partitions (swap and Suse 11.2) in Windows 7 before installing Open SUSE 11.2. Open SUSE 11.2 automatically created an extra two partitions (one was swap and the other i guess is where SUSE was installed?), i should have gone into expert mode and left my original partitions but i decided to let SUSE do it and i deleted the partitions i...

Delphi 7 won't start up anymore on Windows 7 (except in Windows safe mode) [Edit]
I'm using Delphi 7 PE under Windows 7 Home Edition. Since four days Delphi will not start anymore. When I start, I see an entry "delph32.exe" in the Windows Task Manager (process tab, not application tab) but this will disappear sillently after some seconds. No error or warning message is given. I tried several things already, after searching the internet for a solution: - start delphi in comptability mode - start delphi as administrator - give full right on the installation directory of delphi - disable UAC - restore windows to the previous restore point None of ...

Importants ralentissements de FireFox 3.5.7 sous Windows 7 *** Major slowdowns in Firefox 3.5.7 on Windows 7
Name: Bernard Le Lann Email: bernarddotlelannatlapostedotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Importants ralentissements de FireFox 3.5.7 sous Windows 7 *** Major slowdowns in Firefox 3.5.7 on Windows 7 Comments: Depuis que j'utilise Windows 7 FireFox 3.5.7 est extrêmement lent, pour afficher une nouvelle page ou pour passer d'un onglet à un autre. ======================================= Since I use Windows 7 FireFox 3.5.7 is extremely slow to display a new page or move from one tab to another Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; fr; rv:1.9.1...

Trial Delphi XE4 will not install under Windows 7 64 bit
Hello, i just loaded the trial version and wanted to install it. When the dialog for serial no appears and i try to type it, the application crashes. The message ist "BDS funktioniert nicht mehr". In the details i see APPCRASH in Module ntdll.dll. The computer ist brand new and there is nothing installed on it. I tried serveral times and also with administration rights. Thanks Theo Theo Lang wrote: > Hello, > i just loaded the trial version and wanted to install it. > > When the dialog for serial no appears and i try to type it, the application cra...

Windows 7 isn't Windows 7?
Looks like Windows 7 is actually Windows version 6.1? What the heck? -- Joe With great power comes great responsibility. jmarton;1939109 Wrote: > Looks like Windows 7 is actually Windows version 6.1? What the heck? > > > > -- > Joe > With great power comes great responsibility. Yup, someone could probably sue MS for false marketing :) Thomas -- http://thsundel.blogspot.com/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ thsundel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=128 View this threa...

Windows 7 #7
Name: Albert Offerein Email: adotoffereinatupcmaildotnl Product: Shiretoko Alpha 1 Summary: Windows 7 Comments: This browser works perfect in Windows 7 RTM build 7600 . The 3.5 was crashing from time to time, and i do not wanted to go back to IE8, so i am happy with this namoroka Each morning i install the update ( nightly build ) Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2a2pre) Gecko/20090901 Namoroka/3.6a2pre (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/namoroka/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a ...

windows 7 #7
Name: kieran Email: kieranian2001atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: windows 7 Comments: works on windows 7 but needs to be run from download rather than downloaded separately and then run Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Delphi 7 TFontDialog and Windows 7 [Edit]
When using the TFontDialog on a Windows 7 box, it will not list the device fonts (printer fonts). If I launch M$ Word on that same machine, Word will list them fine. This works fine on an XP box. Any ideas? Edited by: Tim Muenstermann on Apr 29, 2010 9:05 AM > {quote:title=Tim Muenstermann wrote:}{quote} > When using the TFontDialog on a Windows 7 box, it will not list the device fonts (printer fonts). If I launch M$ Word on that same machine, Word will list them fine. > What Word does (BTW, M$ went out about a decade ago) makes absolutely no difference. Office ...

Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7
The Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) is a set of tools and documentation that support the configuration and the deployment of Microsoft Windows operating systems. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-automated-installation-kit-for-windows-7#more-4784 -- "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

Windows 7 drivers can only be uploaded from a Windows 7 operating system
And I AM trying to upload Win 7 drivers to the Broker from Win 7 x64 Enterprise using IE8 Anybody has a solution? Seb IPPSRVR.NLM Loaded from [SYS:SYSTEM\] on 14 Feb 2011 2:42:56 pm (Address Space = OS) Novell iPrint Server Version 4.02.01 24 June 2009 Copyright (c) 1989-2008 Novell Inc. All rights reserved. iPrint Client 5.56.00 Seb "Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message news:TlQ6p.18364$325.3079@kovat.provo.novell.com... > And I AM trying to upload Win 7 drivers to the Broker from Win 7 x64 >...

Windows 7 And Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows 7 (IR4)
Good afternoon, I'm currently employed at *Private* in IT, and since July we've been moving every PC over to Windows 7 (Upgrading Macs as well). So far so good, but we've run into a few walls with things we want to do. I've searched quite a while on it, and managed to make Novell the default login screen like it was in XP. However, we want to try and take it one step further and make the specific user's name as the default username. (Once again as it was in XP). We've had some issues, well, widespread issues, with people losing network drives and the li...

Lock Time Out
A D7 BDE/Paradox application that has been problem free on a W2k platform has started throwing "Lock time out" errors having been moved to a Windows 7 platform. Multiple instances of a front end application run on workstations in a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain, with the database hosted on a shared folder on the server. The applications run OK interactively and only appear to raise the "Lock time out" error if left unattended overnight when all instances apepar to hit the same problem at some point. "Lock time out" is clearly a prevalent problem judging ...

after windows 7 sp1 installation, all prior windows updates
After I install sp1 for windows 7 64 all prior windows updates disappear. If i uninstall sp1 for windows 7 then they re appear. I have not been able to find any leads on this issue. Has anyone experienced this issue? -- fishoil ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Fishoil, can you explain what you mean by "disappear"? Do you mean no longer show in the list of unpatched vulnerabilities? If so, that's what I would expect to happen, since SP1 contains the prior updates. -- Shaun Pond when I view th...

The Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7
The Windows� Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) is a set of tools and documentation that support the configuration and deployment of Windows� operating systems. By using Windows AIK, you can automate Windows installations, capture Windows images with ImageX, configure and modify images using Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management (DISM), create Windows PE images, and migrate user profiles and data with the User State Migration Tool (USMT). Windows AIK also includes the Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT), which enables IT professionals to automate and centrally ...

Web resources about - Will Windows 7 install over Windows 7 Trial Edition - grc.techtalk

The Windows Blog

Teenager saw someone watching through her bathroom window
Detectives are investigating a report of a peeping Tom in Melbourne's north-east after a teenage girl saw someone outside her bathroom window. ...

Cammeray death: Man dies after allegedly being ‘pushed’ from window - DailyTelegraph Search Search
POLICE have launched a murder investigation into the death of a 44-year-old man who fell to his death from a eighth-floor unit in Sydney’s north ...

Cammeray death: Man dies after allegedly being ‘pushed’ from window
POLICE have launched a murder investigation into the death of a 44-year-old man who fell to his death from a eighth-floor unit in Sydney’s north ...

Cortana comes to the enterprise with Power BI preview will it push Windows 10 adoption?
... Once the solution comes to a stable release, however, it could take off in the enterprise. Since Cortana is only integrated with Windows 10, ...

Latest update reenables Windows 10’s spying features – here’s how to stop it
Microsoft released the first major Windows 10 update a few weeks ago, but the operating system’s spying capabilities are still intact – though ...

Street View gives you a window into climate change
... our changing climate, we want to take this opportunity to show you how to explore its impact yourself. With Street View, you can get a window ...

Windows 10 continues to crawl its way onto desktop PCs
The latest version of Microsoft's operating system is making baby steps in its effort to win over users, according to Web tracker NetMarket Share. ...