U-Verse DNS settings confusion

After my recent move I had to switch to AT&T U-Verse for net and voip --
only provider currently available. The modem/router is a Motorola NVG510
(branded ATT992) and I ran through most configurations I am familiar with
and need to manage.

The modem/router config lists the primary and secondary DNS servers as those
of AT&T (99.99.99.53 / 99.99.99.153) and these do not appear to be
changeable. My Windows Network options are set to use OpenDNS
(208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220) and when I load OpenDNS' welcome page it
says I am indeed using their servers.

So my confusion is: which DNS servers am I actually using? Which takes
precedence, Windows or the modem/router? Do I need to try to change both if
possible?

I am probably leaving out info and/or asking the wrong questions, but this
won't surprise anyone. All help appreciated as ever. THX JLJ

0
JLJ

JLJ wrote:

> After my recent move I had to switch to AT&T U-Verse for net and voip
> --  only provider currently available. The modem/router is a Motorola
> NVG510 (branded ATT992) and I ran through most configurations I am
> familiar with and need to manage.
>
> The modem/router config lists the primary and secondary DNS servers
> as those of AT&T (99.99.99.53 / 99.99.99.153) and these do not appear
> to be changeable. My Windows Network options are set to use OpenDNS
> (208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220) and when I load OpenDNS' welcome
> page it says I am indeed using their servers.
>
> So my confusion is: which DNS servers am I actually using? Which
> takes precedence, Windows or the modem/router? Do I need to try to
> change both if possible?
>
> I am probably leaving out info and/or asking the wrong questions, but
> this won't surprise anyone. All help appreciated as ever. THX JLJ

Check out DNS Benchmark at https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

That will give you the best options for DNS servers from your place.

I believe the Windows DNS settings will override the router settings.
You can confirm by opening a command window and looking for the "DNS
Servers" listing for your active network card.  To use the DNS servers
set in the modem/router, you would set Windows to use the modem/router
(192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 or similar) as the DNS server, or leave it on
Auto.
0
John
2/19/2014 11:16:22 PM
"John Weiss" <jrweiss98020@gmail.com> wrote in message
> JLJ wrote:

[]
>> The modem/router config lists the primary and secondary DNS servers
>> as those of AT&T (99.99.99.53 / 99.99.99.153) and these do not appear
>> to be changeable. My Windows Network options are set to use OpenDNS
>> (208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220) and when I load OpenDNS' welcome
>> page it says I am indeed using their servers.
>>
>> So my confusion is: which DNS servers am I actually using? Which
>> takes precedence, Windows or the modem/router? Do I need to try to
>> change both if possible?
[]

> I believe the Windows DNS settings will override the router settings.
> You can confirm by opening a command window and looking for the "DNS
> Servers" listing for your active network card.  To use the DNS servers
> set in the modem/router, you would set Windows to use the modem/router
> (192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 or similar) as the DNS server, or leave it on
> Auto.

Thanks - ipconfig from the command line shows OpenDNS as primary and
secondary, no indication of AT&T servers. So I'll assume all is as it
was/should be. THX JLJ

0
JLJ