Two WiFi Routers adjacent performance

I run a LAN from a router with WiFi switched on that connects to the 
Cable modem by ethernet 1Gb/s which also has WiFi but is switched off.

If the two routers are adjacent to each other - one on, one off
will there be any decrease in WiFi signal strength for the devices I use 
to connect via WiFi?

My background knowledge of VHF wireless suggests there might be 
interaction. Does this also apply at the 2.4 GHz frequencies?

-- 
Alan Cameron
0
Alan
2/20/2014 3:59:52 PM
grc.techtalk 27358 articles. 1 followers. Follow

8 Replies
1209 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 28

Alan Cameron wrote:
>
> I run a LAN from a router with WiFi switched on that connects to the
> Cable modem by ethernet 1Gb/s which also has WiFi but is switched off.
>
> If the two routers are adjacent to each other - one on, one off
> will there be any decrease in WiFi signal strength for the devices I use
> to connect via WiFi?
>
> My background knowledge of VHF wireless suggests there might be
> interaction. Does this also apply at the 2.4 GHz frequencies?
>

I would suggest that you put them on different channels, preferably at 
opposite ends of the choices. ( 1 and 11, 1 and 13, depending on your country).

AlanD
0
AlanD
2/20/2014 4:54:57 PM
On 2/20/2014 10:59 AM, Alan Cameron wrote:
> 
> I run a LAN from a router with WiFi switched on that connects to the 
> Cable modem by ethernet 1Gb/s which also has WiFi but is switched off.
> 
> If the two routers are adjacent to each other - one on, one off
> will there be any decrease in WiFi signal strength for the devices I use 
> to connect via WiFi?
> 
> My background knowledge of VHF wireless suggests there might be 
> interaction. Does this also apply at the 2.4 GHz frequencies?
> 

Just make sure the one that is supposed to be turned off actually isn't
broadcasting anything.

I use an app called "Wifi Analyzer" all the time for that type of thing.
 It will show you anything broadcasting a wifi signal, along with the
power level.  Great free tool for checking into this stuff.
0
Travis
2/20/2014 5:16:30 PM
On 2014-02-20 7:59, Alan Cameron wrote:
>
> I run a LAN from a router with WiFi switched on that connects to the
> Cable modem by ethernet 1Gb/s which also has WiFi but is switched off.
>
> If the two routers are adjacent to each other - one on, one off
> will there be any decrease in WiFi signal strength for the devices I use
> to connect via WiFi?
>
> My background knowledge of VHF wireless suggests there might be
> interaction. Does this also apply at the 2.4 GHz frequencies?

If you remove the antennas from the device that is off that should 
reduce any theoretical interference (if there was any in the first place).

Regards,
Sam
0
Sam
2/20/2014 10:35:59 PM
Alan Cameron was heard to say :

> 
> I run a LAN from a router with WiFi switched on that connects to the
> Cable modem by ethernet 1Gb/s which also has WiFi but is switched off.
> 
> If the two routers are adjacent to each other - one on, one off
> will there be any decrease in WiFi signal strength for the devices I use
> to connect via WiFi?
> 
> My background knowledge of VHF wireless suggests there might be
> interaction. Does this also apply at the 2.4 GHz frequencies?

Well, yes, some kind of interaction will exist, sure. Like the reflector 
wire in a Yagi antenna, if an element (antenna, wire) is at a resonant 
frequency it will modify the pattern of the emitted wave. However, 
estimating if it will reduce or increase the received signal at an specific 
spot inside your house is almost impossible. There will be interactions with 
pipes, wires, or any metal around. That's why the new wifi devices use 
several antennas to produce a mimo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO

As there is very little that could be done about such interaction, just 
forget about it. If in real problems and want to try if this is the reason 
for low signal, just pull the cable modem away (a couple of feet) and see if 
signal changes at the trouble spot. If there is no change, forget about the 
idea.

An additional protection is to enclose the cable modem in metal wire and put 
it below the wifi router (or at a direction in which you do not need 
signal).

-- 
Mark Cross @ 02/21/2014 12:37 a.m.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a 
garage makes you a car.

0
Mark
2/21/2014 4:43:58 AM
In article <le5dbq$2jol$1@news.grc.com>, travis@precisionherbs.com 
says...
> 
> On 2/20/2014 10:59 AM, Alan Cameron wrote:
> > 
> > I run a LAN from a router with WiFi switched on that connects to the 
> > Cable modem by ethernet 1Gb/s which also has WiFi but is switched off.
> > 
> > If the two routers are adjacent to each other - one on, one off
> > will there be any decrease in WiFi signal strength for the devices I use 
> > to connect via WiFi?
> > 
> > My background knowledge of VHF wireless suggests there might be 
> > interaction. Does this also apply at the 2.4 GHz frequencies?
> > 
> 
> Just make sure the one that is supposed to be turned off actually isn't
> broadcasting anything.

Confirmed using two software monitors on third party device.

> I use an app called "Wifi Analyzer" all the time for that type of thing.
>  It will show you anything broadcasting a wifi signal, along with the
> power level.  Great free tool for checking into this stuff.

I think that is one of them but without getting the third party device 
out of the cupboard I can't remember.

Thanks for the thought.



-- 
Alan Cameron
0
Alan
2/21/2014 11:38:31 AM
In article <le600e$2vvt$3@news.grc.com>, sschinke@gmail.com says...
> 
> On 2014-02-20 7:59, Alan Cameron wrote:
> >
> > I run a LAN from a router with WiFi switched on that connects to the
> > Cable modem by ethernet 1Gb/s which also has WiFi but is switched off.
> >
> > If the two routers are adjacent to each other - one on, one off
> > will there be any decrease in WiFi signal strength for the devices I use
> > to connect via WiFi?
> >
> > My background knowledge of VHF wireless suggests there might be
> > interaction. Does this also apply at the 2.4 GHz frequencies?
> 
> If you remove the antennas from the device that is off that should 
> reduce any theoretical interference (if there was any in the first place).
> 
> Regards,
> Sam

Good point. Unfortunately the antennas are internal to the routers in 
question. 
Your point suggests that a router with an external antenna/s might be a 
better choice for marginal reception conditions.
Fortunately my WiFi devices never get more than 20 feet from the 
routers.

-- 
Alan Cameron
0
Alan
2/21/2014 11:41:23 AM
In article <1575766.1vOfk6CRcI@rnqqfki.new.org.invalid>, none@127.0.0.1 
says...
> 
> Alan Cameron was heard to say :
> 
> > 
> > I run a LAN from a router with WiFi switched on that connects to the
> > Cable modem by ethernet 1Gb/s which also has WiFi but is switched off.
> > 
> > If the two routers are adjacent to each other - one on, one off
> > will there be any decrease in WiFi signal strength for the devices I use
> > to connect via WiFi?
 
> > My background knowledge of VHF wireless suggests there might be
> > interaction. Does this also apply at the 2.4 GHz frequencies?
 
> Well, yes, some kind of interaction will exist, sure. Like the reflector 
> wire in a Yagi antenna, if an element (antenna, wire) is at a resonant 
> frequency it will modify the pattern of the emitted wave. However, 
> estimating if it will reduce or increase the received signal at an specific 
> spot inside your house is almost impossible. There will be interactions with 
> pipes, wires, or any metal around. That's why the new wifi devices use 
> several antennas to produce a mimo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO
 
> As there is very little that could be done about such interaction, just 
> forget about it. If in real problems and want to try if this is the reason 
> for low signal, just pull the cable modem away (a couple of feet) and see if 
> signal changes at the trouble spot. If there is no change, forget about the 
> idea.
 
> An additional protection is to enclose the cable modem in metal wire and put 
> it below the wifi router (or at a direction in which you do not need 
> signal).

Thanks for the thoughts Mark.


-- 
Alan Cameron
0
Alan
2/21/2014 11:43:46 AM
In article <le5c1m$2ikp$1@news.grc.com>, nospam@danburyonline.net 
says...
> 
> Alan Cameron wrote:
> >
> > I run a LAN from a router with WiFi switched on that connects to the
> > Cable modem by ethernet 1Gb/s which also has WiFi but is switched off.
> >
> > If the two routers are adjacent to each other - one on, one off
> > will there be any decrease in WiFi signal strength for the devices I use
> > to connect via WiFi?
> >
> > My background knowledge of VHF wireless suggests there might be
> > interaction. Does this also apply at the 2.4 GHz frequencies?
> >
> 
> I would suggest that you put them on different channels, preferably at 
> opposite ends of the choices. ( 1 and 11, 1 and 13, depending on your country).
> 
> AlanD

This does not answer the question.
If one is OFF and the other ON how will the channel they are set to 
interfere?

-- 
Alan Cameron
0
Alan
2/21/2014 10:49:23 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Router to router
Can I connect a router to an outbound port of another router? Here's why. I have a client who owns the building where his offices are located. He has a tenant, a travel agency, who recently struck a deal with an independent communications supplier to upgrade and combine all his telecom needs (local, LD, and DSL) into one T3 service. (The building is located such that, distance-wise, no major telecoms want to offer anything but local/LD service). Apparently there is sufficient capacity in this setup that the tenant has offered to allow connectivity for my client's inte...

Two Routers
I have eventually been promised broadband connection - due in about 2 weeks. I have presently got two computers connected through an SMC router on 192.168.2.x using DHCP. The ISP will supply a Netopia 3347 wireless router/modem. It would be my intention if possible to connect the SMC router into the Netopia and the Netopia to the Internet line. So would the following work without issues: Internet -> Netopia issueing addresses in range 192.168.1.xx -> SMC issueing addresses in range 192.168.2.xx Should the SMC get its address from the Netopia or use a fixed one? I would ...

To router or not to router?
Fry's electronics had a router on sale too cheap to pass up so I got it, set it up and gave it a try with Shields Up and a couple of other test sites *after* removing Sygate. Results: All ports are stealthed, everything is fine, it's working well. BUTT! I got exactly the same results with Sygate. I only have one computer, I don't need or want to share an internet connection so.... is there any reason NOT to take the router back to Fry's and use the refund for something else I need? Wandering aimlessly around grc.security, I heard XS11E mention: > ...

Router to router
This is probably a simple oversight on my part but I'm not finding it. I have a cable modem going to a befsr41 router going to 2 PC's with everything set to DHCP. All is working good. Now I've added a befsr81 router to one of the open ports on the 41 router so I can network a new server and some POS stations that I'm working on. The networking part is going ok, I have the server and one POS station talking happily through the 81, but I haven't been able to get any internet at all. The 81 router setup page says that it got an IP, subnet and DNS from the 41 rout...

testing two three two three two two
Test ...

DNS1 poising? or bad WiFi A.P (linksys) Gateway setup for WiFi Router (fritz) DSL LAN connection
hi, very wise sayings to my ears... but I need some good help today if anyone knows how to give it. I recently discovered that the person-technician who installed the OEM version of XP Prof. SP2 along with my IE7 & Media Player 11 actually installed a Roaming Version of XP to my pc that was part of a Peer to Peer network via automatic Internet Logon server (NTLM) [0] Logon session 00000000:000003e7: User name: WORKGROUP\TYAN$ Auth package: NTLM Logon type: (none) Session: 0 Sid: S-1-5-18 Logon time: 5/11/2007 5:25:39 Log...

Two ??? NAT routers ?
Sure! Since December 2001 I've had a Nexland SOHO ISB Nat Router on a cable modem. This allowed my two sons (1 Windows 98 and 1 portable Mac OS 9) and me (1 Windows 98 and 1 portable Windows 98) to share a single IP address, connect simultaneously and, in my experience, without noticeable loss of speed. On top of that I only had to pay 1 monthly "single user access fee" because my ISP could only see 1 connected computer, i.e. the router's MAC address. Then in August 2004 I bought a new portable (Windows XP). To put an end to a kinky CAT5 cable crossing the...

A tale of two routers
I fix customers' PC issues over the phone for a living. I'm good at it. But this issue has me absolutely stumped. At least it happens on my home network so nobody at work will find out and laugh at the professor being at a loss for an explanation. Here's the issue: My computer sits on a LAN managed by Router 2, IP Address 192.168.2.1. It in turn sits on another LAN managed by Router 1, IP Address 192.168.1.1 Router 1 connects to the modem. Everything used to work. Then Router 2 died. It was a DLink. I got another el cheapo router, a Belkin Wireless G Router and used ...

Two routers #2
http://www.grc.com/nat/nats.htm The above useful article explains how to use two routers to protect a LAN from a server machine. I have been wondering about setting up an FTP server - and would appreciate some advice about the practical details of setting up two routers. At the moment I have one router - a Netgear DG834 - which is a combined ADSL modem, router and switch. What would I need to buy? Would another Netgear DG834 be OK, or does it have to be a router WITHOUT an ADSL modem? And what would plug into what socket? I can see the principle; it's the details I...

Two Router Set Up
I recently posted a question within a thread with the subject line ' One Computer Open to WAN ', as this was an older thread my question may have been missed. One suggestion within the original thread was to have the open computer behind a router and the other network behind a second router. Would these need to be seperate private network addresses or would they be within the same subnet? Geoff Lane Geoff Lane had this to say: > I recently posted a question within a thread with the subject line ' > One Computer Open to WAN ', as this was an older thread...

Tale of two routers!
Firstly thanks to all you people who help us folk who don't know as much and thanks to Steve for a great service. Used shieldup for some years as a dialup user with free ZA and always been fine (told quite a few others about the site as well). Couple of months ago at work we went broadband and the router installed was a linksys wag54g. Testing shieldup the common ports were all stealthed and up to around 900 too (closed after that). Deciding I had to have broadband at home I went for "better the devil you know" approach and got the same. The home one has a ...

Tale of two routers!
Firstly thanks to all you people who help us folk who don't know as much and thanks to Steve for a great service. Used shieldup for some years as a dialup user with free ZA and always been fine (told quite a few others about the site as well). Couple of months ago at work we went broadband and the router installed was a linksys wag54g. Testing shieldup the common ports were all stealthed and up to around 900 too (closed after that). Deciding I had to have broadband at home I went for "better the devil you know" approach and got the same. The home one has a ...

Two questions about new router
I'm THIS close to buying the Linksys WRT54G2 router [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124284] because (a) it appears my 8 yr old DLink really lost it this time; (b) it has garnered consistently good reviews, appearing based on the older/preferred WRT platform; (c) price is right. NB: I would be using it in a wired config. Two questions: 1. cursory research indicates that this router's built-in SPI firewall cannot be disabled -- if so, would this interfere with and/or negate the need for Comodo Pro (or any other soft) firewall? 2. further cur...

Two routers to secure UPNP?
I am thinking of starting to use "broadband telephony" since it is much cheaper. The extra hardware box that is needed requires a UPNP-compatible router it says. My router supports UPNP but I have it disabled since I prefer to manually do the port forwarding that is required to my LAN. If I don't want to open up my LAN I suppose a solution would be to buy one more router and that way routing my LAN through two routers with UPNP enabled only on one of them? And my IP-telephony box will go only through the first router that has UPNP enabled. Shouldn't that be a good ...

Web resources about - Two WiFi Routers adjacent performance - grc.techtalk

Performance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A performance , in performing arts , generally comprises an event in which a performer or group of performers behave in a particular way for ...

George Pell: the Catholic Church's performance at the royal commission is farcical
The Catholic Church continues to harm sex abuse victims by its failure to acknowledge the extent to which it covered-up sex crimes against children. ...

New DaaS platform aims to boost B2B marketing performance
Marketers are always keen to understand customer purchase intentions. But whilst there are many tools aimed at building consumer intelligence ...

WATCH: Cuban jazz musicians break into dance during first U.S. performance - Videos - CBS News
... began restoring relations with Cuba, a group of young jazz musicians fulfilled a lifelong dream of performing on American soil. During a performance ...

Chinese Performance Artist Shows Creative Potential Of Air Pollutants
Chinese performance artist Brother Nut has all of Beijing talking about his repurposing of air pollutants into bricks for building Chinese Performance ...

Rossignol and PIQ team up to track your skiing performance
PIQ has teamed up with Rossignol to give you all the skiing metrics you probably never thought you needed. The 13-axis ski sensor, which is identical ...

Aleksandar Mitrovic - Anger fueled performance against Spurs - ESPN FC
Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has revealed anger at not being selected in the team's starting XI fueled his decisive performance vs. ...

Justin Bieber Steals the Show With Flawless Performance of 'Sorry' on 'The Voice' Finale
In a finale filled with huge stars and massive hit songs, it was the 21-year-old singer who stole the spotlight.

Crytek’s stunning The Climb showcases VR performance on the Oculus Rift
Crytek has announced that its new VR title "The Climb" will showcase what the Oculus Rift can do. We step through the new game, and discuss just ...

You Can Now Customize the Performance of Milwaukee Power Tools Through an App
Milwaukee isn’t the first power tool maker to connect its hardware to a smartphone app for automatic inventory tracking. But the company’s One-Key ...

Resources last updated: 12/17/2015 7:37:07 AM