To pipeline Firefox or not to pipeline Firefox?

That is the question. Still says it's not supported by everything etc etc,
so: do you do it, and does it help?  THX JLJ

0
JLJ

On 16-Jul-09 15:38, JLJ wrote:
> That is the question. Still says it's not supported by everything etc
> etc, so: do you do it, and does it help?  THX JLJ

If you're talking about HTTP pipelining in HTTP/1.1, it should be fine
to use it. I've always had it turned on, but never noticed anything
detrimental for it.

To turn it on, use about:config (there used to be GUI options for it,
but I don't see them anymore).

network.http.keep-alive must be set to true and network.http.version
must be set to 1.1 (which are the default values).

Set networking.http.pipelining to true to turn it on.

You can also enable it on HTTPS and proxy connections but turning on
network.http.pipelining.ssl and network.http.proxy.pipelining, but I
don't recommend it for security reasons.

More information can be found at:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/netlib/http/pipelining-faq.html
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.pipelining
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_pipelining
0
Tom
7/16/2009 11:49:12 PM
On 16-Jul-09 19:49, Tom Ditmars wrote:
> Set networking.http.pipelining to true to turn it on.

Correction: The preference is "network.http.pipelining".
0
Tom
7/16/2009 11:50:41 PM
Tom Ditmars writes:

> Set networking.http.pipelining to true to turn it on.
>
> You can also enable it on HTTPS and proxy connections but turning on
> network.http.pipelining.ssl and network.http.proxy.pipelining, but I
> don't recommend it for security reasons.

Just for the record, setting network.http.pipelining to true overrides
the network.http.pipelining.ssl setting of false so pipelining will be
used for secure websites as well as unsecured sites:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.pipelining.ssl

--
When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
-Dennis
Dennis Henderson wrote:

>> You can also enable it on HTTPS and proxy connections but turning on
>> network.http.pipelining.ssl and network.http.proxy.pipelining, but I
>> don't recommend it for security reasons.
>
> Just for the record, setting network.http.pipelining to true overrides
> the network.http.pipelining.ssl setting of false so pipelining will be
> used for secure websites as well as unsecured sites:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.pipelining.ssl

Would http pipelining a secure website be any less secure than not?

--
-Scott
0
Lab1 writes:

> Dennis Henderson wrote:
>> Just for the record, setting network.http.pipelining to true overrides
>> the network.http.pipelining.ssl setting of false so pipelining will be
>> used for secure websites as well as unsecured sites:
>>
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.pipelining.ssl
>
> Would http pipelining a secure website be any less secure than not?

No. All pipelining does is send multiple http requests in one packet
instead of sending one request per packet and waiting for a response
from the server before sending the next request in another packet. A
high-latency connection (like my satellite connection) will see more
benefit from pipelining than will a low-latency wired connection.

--
When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
-Dennis
0
Dennis
7/17/2009 4:58:27 PM
Dennis Henderson wrote:
> Lab1 writes:
>
>> Dennis Henderson wrote:
>>> Just for the record, setting network.http.pipelining to true overrides
>>> the network.http.pipelining.ssl setting of false so pipelining will be
>>> used for secure websites as well as unsecured sites:
>>>
>>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.pipelining.ssl
>> Would http pipelining [to] a secure website be any less secure than not?
>
> No. All pipelining does is send multiple http requests in one packet
> instead of sending one request per packet and waiting for a response
> from the server before sending the next request in another packet. A
> high-latency connection (like my satellite connection) will see more
> benefit from pipelining than will a low-latency wired connection.

Thanks Dennis.

BTW, nice to see you around again. :)
0
Lab1
7/18/2009 12:55:25 AM
Lab1 wrote:

> Thanks Dennis.
>
> BTW, nice to see you around again. :)

He's just slummin...
0
nobody
7/18/2009 1:09:00 AM
Lab1 writes:

> Dennis Henderson wrote:
>> Lab1 writes:

>>> Would http pipelining [to] a secure website be any less secure than not?
>> No. All pipelining does is send multiple http requests in one packet
>> instead of sending one request per packet and waiting for a response
>> from the server before sending the next request in another packet. A
>> high-latency connection (like my satellite connection) will see more
>> benefit from pipelining than will a low-latency wired connection.
>
> Thanks Dennis.

My pleasure...

> BTW, nice to see you around again. :)

Looks like y'all will be stuck with me for a while again. Sis-in-law is
having a series of operations--one per week for the next few weeks--and
Wife will play nursemaid to her for the duration, so I'll be home alone
with nothing better to do a good deal of that time...

--
When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
-Dennis
0
Dennis
7/18/2009 11:48:28 AM
nobody writes:

> Lab1 wrote:
>> Thanks Dennis.
>>
>> BTW, nice to see you around again. :)
>
> He's just slummin...

It keeps me humble...

--
When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
-Dennis
0
Dennis

Firefox or not Firefox

Firefox,Mozilla Firefox,Firefox download,Mozilla Firefox download
Download Firefox Firefox,Mozilla Firefox,Firefox download,Mozilla Firefox download http://soft.topcities.com/Firefox.htm On 2006-11-28 20:04 (-0700 UTC), idownweb.com wrote: > Download Firefox > > Firefox,Mozilla Firefox,Firefox download,Mozilla Firefox download > > http://soft.topcities.com/Firefox.htm Mebbe it's just me, but isn't this kind of a silly place to spam with something like this? /b. -- 'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter Wow, now thats totally random. On 28 Nov 2006 19:04:38 -0800, ...

Firefox within Firefox
For a short time now (likely since upgrading to FF 1.5.02) I've noticed that when running a Firefox session, ZA will popup a notice that Firefox -- verified the same exe as the running one -- is "trying to access the internet." This is confusing because it's already accessing the internet, thanks much. However, the destination IP is always along the lines of 206.141.192.60:DNS, which translates to dns1.chcgil.sbcglobal.net, part of my ISP. So I've been saying yes. But I'm wondering why of a sudden this access is taking place, or being questioned, or what...

Firefox, and Firefox Portable
Name: Brian Email: silverdragona1ataol Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, and Firefox Portable Comments: Feedback. After several hefty fallouts with AOL, and the complete dogs dinner we are presented with that they claim is worthy of using, be it the AOL9 browser, I decided to try Firefox.... I am very annoyed. Why?... because stupidly, I had not tried Firefox EARLIER.... I have now replaced AOL9 completely on all the family computers with Firefox... I am also TOTALLY bewildered as to how you can get a fully functioning Firefox to run on a USB Flash Drive......... I...

Firefox, meet the Firefox
Name: brooks Email: brooksonleyatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, meet the Firefox Comments: I don't know if this will go anywhere, but as both a die-hard Firefox user and an advocate for wildlife, I think it should be said.... As you may or may not know, "firefox" is the literal translation of the Chinese name for the Red Panda. Yes, the OTHER panda -- the cute, orange, raccoon-like one, not the big, black-and-white, bear-like one. Here is a link to an article at the National Wildlife Foundation [http://poprl.com/EIb], "Fighting for the Fi...

Firefox uses Firefox.

firefox companion for firefox
Name: william faulks Email: wf010a4342atblueyonderdotcodotuk Product: eBay Companion Summary: firefox companion for firefox Comments: great program, been looking for something like this for ages Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

Firefox 3
Here's some interesting reading for what is in the pipeline in FF3... from: http://blog.pavlov.net/2008/03/11/firefox-3-memory-usage/ "While Firefox 2 used less memory than it�s predecessor, Firefox 1.5, we intentionally restricted the number of changes to the Gecko platform (Gecko 1.8.1 was only slightly different than Gecko 1.8) on which Firefox was built. However, while the majority of people were working on Firefox 2 / Gecko 1.8.1, others of us were already ripping into the platform that Firefox 3 was to be built on: Gecko 1.9." On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:36:3...

Firefox add-on not compatible with Firefox
Name: M Easton Email: mdedotebayatgooglemaildotcom Product: eBay Companion Summary: Firefox add-on not compatible with Firefox Comments: Upon attempting to install the eBay add-on for Firefox I received the following error: "Firefox Companion for eBay 1.6.6 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 3.5.7." Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 From URL: http://www.mozilla.com/en-GB/add-ons/ebay/feedback/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this...

Firefox rules, Rock Your Firefox!
Hello everybody, I wanted to share with you an amazing article written on Wired.t by Giovanni Francesco Solone aka Gioxx, one of the Mozilla Italia Team member: http://www.wired.it/news/archivio/2010-04/05/firefox-rules,-rock-your-firefox!.aspx Cheers, Giuliano -- Mozilla Italia Web Site http://www.mozillaitalia.org/ Mozilla Italia Forums http://forum.mozillaitalia.org/ Wow - cool! Thanks for sharing! Barbara On Apr 6, 2010, at 6:59 PM, Giuliano Masseroni wrote: > Hello everybody, >=20 > I wanted to share with you an amazing article written on Wired...

Firefox add on crashing firefox
Name: joshua lafrance Email: joshdotlafranceatgmaildotcom Product: eBay Companion Summary: Firefox add on crashing firefox Comments: The add on / plug in is freezing up firefox when an alert box pops up. It does this with the new firefox version 3.0.3. This is happening to me on 2 different computers. It requires opening the task manager to close out firefox. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://en-gb.www.mozilla.com/en-GB/add-ons/ebay/feedback/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no exp...

plantage firefox firefox crashed
Bonjour, Voila mon probleme depuis la mise a jour de Kaspersky Antivirus 2009 , mon probl=E8me est le plantage syst=E9matique de Thunderbird 2.014 et de Firefox 3.0 sur une plateforme Hewlett Packard equipe en AMD Turion 64 bits avec windows XPSP2 (je ne peux dailleurs pas installer le patche dhp pour les processeurs amd necessaire =E0 l'installation de windows xp sp3 faute =E0 Kaspersky (dixit la hotline de HP) ) Ensuite jai remarqu=E9 quelque soit le navigateur hormis safari un plantage syst=E9matique lors de consultation de site de mise a jour microsoft update, office up...

I am unhappy with Firefox.. :| Did not expected that from Firefox.
Name: pavel lazarov Email: paveldotlazarovatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I am unhappy with Firefox.. :| Did not expected that from Firefox. Comments: I am using firefox for really long time now. After updating to the latest version 2.0.0.4 I have lost my visited pages... and I use that really often as I do not remember the whole domain names. Why an update would delete the visited pages ? Pavel Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4 ...

Web resources about - To pipeline Firefox or not to pipeline Firefox? - grc.techtalk

Trans-Alaska Pipeline System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Trans-Alaska Pipeline System ( TAPS ) includes the trans-Alaska crude-oil pipeline, 11 pump stations, several hundred miles of feeder pipelines, ...

Winners and losers from NT gas pipeline deal
China-controlled pipeline developer Jemena has been prepared to sacrifice initial returns to win the contract to build the $800 million North ...

Jemena to build NT gas pipeline to supply Incitec Pivot
The Northern Territory government has decided on a lower-cost northern route to link its gas pipelines with the national grid.

Keystone XL: Why one pipeline answered for them all
Keystone XL was to be just one of many pipelines, among other modes of transportation, shipping crude oil across North America. But environmental ...

NEB Changes Stance, May Consider GHGs In Pipeline Proposals 6
... energy regulator has made it abundantly clear that it doesn't want to get involved in climate change discussions when evaluating major pipeline ...

President of Alaska gas pipeline corporation resigns - Alaska Dispatch News
Dan Fauske led the state-owned company charged with guiding construction of the proposed $55 billion natural gas pipeline from the North Slope. ...

America has built the equivalent of 10 Keystone pipelines since 2010, by @Gaius_Publius
America has built the equivalent of 10 Keystone pipelines since 2010 by Gaius Publius The blue lines show expansion since 2005. Note the expansions ...

America Has Built the Equivalent of 10 Keystone Pipelines Since 2010
... and Corpus Christi, Texas. by Gaius Publius As you may know, TransCanada Corporation, the owner and builder of the Keystone (KXL) Pipeline, ...

CIA director warns ISIS could have more attacks "in the pipeline"
John Brennan said it's not a surprise that ISIS carried out the Paris attacks because the U.S.

CIA director anticipates more ISIS attacks 'in the pipeline'
ISIS probably has plans for more attacks "in the pipeline," according to the head of the CIA, although President Barack Obama's national security ...