To code or not to code?

The rise of Open Source software adoption has brought with it increased
awareness of non-proprietary programming technologies.
http://www.itnews.com.au/Feature/4593,to-code-or-not-to-code.aspx

--
"Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly"

0
paradoX

To code or not to code.... What is the norm?
Hello All...  I am pretty much new to asp.net.  I am a vb6 / vba / vbs windows developer who also knows coldfusion.  I did dabble a little bit into asp.net 1.1.  Anyways -- My question:  When building an application, do most people use the WYSIWYG interface in VS or do you write the code.  I have read a few books on asp.net yet I still struggle with this.  I understand the whole configuring a datasource and binding it thorugh the tasks menu of a control.  I also feel comfortable with the tutorials I have done where I do all of this in code.  I ...

reusable code
 I have a page of code that instead of putting it in each pags code behind, I would like to be able to jsut include it in the code behind of each page so that it gets executed each time. This way I could jsut edit the one file and th changes woudl be site wide in thepages that have this as an include in the code behind file.What is the bet way to do that? Any examples?Thanks Hi, You could create a base class for the code-behind classes (put every code-behind class to derive from this common base class), when changes to the base class would apply to the derived classes.Thanks,Teemu Ke...

Code-Behind versus Code-Inside and Code-Beside
Can someone explain to me how the code gets compiled when you do code-inside (like in webmatrix) as oposed to code-behind? WHen you do the code-behind I know all the code gets compiled at compile-time into a dll assembly. And I think that code-inside gets compiled at run-time. But what if you have a mixture of the two and you have a dll assembly with code-beside modules, how do they get compiled into the assembly? Maybe I'm wrong or confused, can someone clarify? I'm also aware of the Visual Studio 2005 code-beside also, will that change anything? thanks, Frank For a general...

Seperating Admin code in code-behind from general code
Hi guys, I just want to know if it would improve the functioning of my site to create two seperate dlls: One of the dll's would contain all the code for the general functioning of the site, and the other dll would contain all of the code for the administration elements of the site. Thanks GP...

java style inline coding or mix inline code with code behind

Code generation in Microsoft.net ( code that writes code ) Whats its future
Hello, I was just reading a book about Code Generation in .NET. Its damn hard book to read. What do u think is the future of Code GenerationHighOnCodingWanna get high! It's being used now quite a bit. Not necessarily out the box click a button, and you get an application, but applications will generate specific code to function dynamically.Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. the refactoring tools already available (and those that are destined for the new IDE) use the same techniques. we will pr...

Using App_Code shared code in page code-behind AND code-front
Hi all, I've only just come across what seems to be the 'correct' way of making use of shared code in my .Net sites: I code some classes in a .cs (in my case - i'm using c#) file. I then put them inside namespaces. To make use of the classes in the code-behind of my web pages, I simply add a "using MyNamespace;" line at the top, and then I can make use of a class' contents like so: "MyClass1.MyString1(SomeVariablesToSend)". Now that works fine when working in the codebehind, but what happens when I want to call the class/string from my code-fron...

How do I dynamically populate an ASP treeview through c# code (object code, not embedded code)
I have an object that will eventually drive many web pages, and I do not want the maintenance overhead of duplicating the code across a bunch of web pages.  I also want to keep all of the code centralized in one object.The problem as it exists now is that when I populate the nodes the first time then everything is well initially, but as soon as I need to re-populate them the code runs fine but the tree doesn't re-render.  I can add watches to see that the nodes are dynamically changing, but the visual object on the web page is still showing all the original nodes, complete with...

How to convert VB code (windows code) to asp.net(C#) webform code ?
How to convert VB code (windows code)  to asp.net(C#) webform code You rewrite it. Winforms and Webforms have very few things in common. If you're in luck the business and data access logic can be reused when they were written in separate class libraries. Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons. Yes, As Kris states there's no direct conversion you can do as the presentation layer is a completely different technology. If the application has been designed well, the other layers should be able to be use...

inline code and code-behind
I have a retail website which uses the Storefront Shopping Cart system. I want to use an existing web form (just a simple trivia form) which uses inline asp.net code within a template containing my Storefront Cart control and Search box which use code-behind pages. So my question is: how do I combine the code-behind elements with the single page elements? Is this possible? And if not, how else could I get this to work?Steve Piotrow, All Things Arctic [from one newbie to another :) ] I am thinking you can combine the two, as you can insert script tags or put the code in <...

Source Code From P Code
Is there a tool to help generate powerscript source code from p-code compiled form of the source in PowerBuilder PBDs ? No. At best, you can add the PBD to your library list and see the objects and exposed properties/methods on it, but you cannot get the actual code back. <Abha_Thakur> wrote in message news:4C47B9C90D4E85FC0065D3D685256B19.0065D3EB85256B19@webforums... > Is there a tool to help generate powerscript source code from p-code > compiled form of the source in PowerBuilder PBDs ? > > Thanks. I actually read your replies to similar issues bac...

Reformatting code/coding standards
Just my 2 cents. This is my only nitpick with the coding standards. I never cared for the style of putting return type on a separate line above the function declaration header. I like it just as the prototype. I vote for non-enforcement of this one. -Melvin Melvin Smith <mrjoltcola@mindspring.com> wrote: > This is my only nitpick with the coding standards. > > I never cared for the style of putting return type on a > separate line above the function declaration header. > > I like it just as the prototype. > > I vote for non-enforceme...

Changing (?p{code}) to (??{code})
Larry, in reply to my note asking opinions about what for the 5.6 release should be done with the various 5.5 constructs currently marked experiment, wrote this regarding the the (?p{ code }) construct: I'd C[anonize] the idea, but B[anish] the syntax, since letters are kind of reserved for /x modifiers. Maybe this should be (??{ code }) or some such. That was the only thing that he unequivocably marked "B". It doesn't look that hard to fix. --tom On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:13:10 MST, Tom Christiansen wrote: >Larry, in reply to my note asking op...

Object Code to Source Code
Is there a way to reverse engineer object code and turn it into source code? I've tried renaming the pbd to a pbl extension, but that just shows me the objects in the file within PB. I can't find a way to actually open and use the code. It can't find the source file. Thanks! There is no mechanism to reverse engineer a PBD. /ck "Tad Campbell" <tcampbell@aztecsystems.com> wrote in message news:G#1pqWJdCHA.256@forums.sybase.com... > Is there a way to reverse engineer object code and turn it into source code? > I've tried renaming the p...

Web resources about - To code or not to code? - grc.techtalk

Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Decoded" redirects here. For the television show, see Brad Meltzer's Decoded . For the Jay-Z memoir, see Decoded (book) . A code is a rule for ...

Herding Code
While at NDC 2012 in Oslo, Jon and K. Scott talked to Shay Friedman about Roslyn, IronRuby, and the DLR. Download / Listen: 146 – Shay Friedman ...

iPhone, iPad and Mac OS X Cocoa Usability and Development Services - Instinctive Code
iPad, iPhone / iPod Touch and Mac OS X Cocoa development services and UI design.

Re/code
No Bible Available? NY Swears in Politician With iPad Bible App. By Jordan Kahn, Writer, 9to5Mac

... e-magazine for software developers, testers and project managers – has published its Winter 2015 issue that discusses the social side of code, ...

Juniper drops NSA-developed code following new backdoor revelations
... Juniper) Juniper Networks, which last month made the startling announcement its NetScreen line of firewalls contained unauthorized code that ...

Sharing ransomware code for educational purposes is asking for trouble
... a serious vulnerability in its Password Manager tool, but today the security company warns of the dangers of sharing ransomware source code. ...

PS Plus extension codes to make up for PSN outage going out this week, report says
Sony is making good on its promise to extend memberships after the PSN outage earlier this month.

Solving Campaign Finance Problems Through The Tax Code
Solving Campaign Finance Problems Through The Tax Code