Systems and Partitions

My wife has a new SSD drive and we have loaded Windows 7 on it. Her old
system is on another physical drive containing two partitions - what was
C:\ and D:\. My wife wants to use the data on what was D:\ If we connect
the physical drive to the new system then presumably windows 7 will
assign new drive letters to the partitions. Are there any possible
gotchas to look out for? We want to keep the old Windows XP system
intact until all the software is installed and customised. The idea
being if we disconnect drive new C:\ and put the old one back then
Windows XP will boot again. We don't want Windows 7 nobbling any system
files for XP. Eventually we will remove XP and join old C\ and D:\
together to make a single partition on the physical drive. Apologies if
this question is basic but we rarely update systems. Thanks in advance.
0
Chris

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 06:22:29 +0900, Chris (Hunt) wrote:

> My wife has a new SSD drive and we have loaded Windows 7 on it. Her old
> system is on another physical drive containing two partitions - what was
> C:\ and D:\. My wife wants to use the data on what was D:\ If we connect
> the physical drive to the new system then presumably windows 7 will
> assign new drive letters to the partitions. Are there any possible
> gotchas to look out for? We want to keep the old Windows XP system
> intact until all the software is installed and customised. The idea
> being if we disconnect drive new C:\ and put the old one back then
> Windows XP will boot again. We don't want Windows 7 nobbling any system
> files for XP. Eventually we will remove XP and join old C\ and D:\
> together to make a single partition on the physical drive. Apologies if
> this question is basic but we rarely update systems. Thanks in advance.

Is the data on D:\ backed up anywhere else ?

When I started out with Win 7 I had titanic struggles with permissions,
when using external hard drives that had been previously created by and
used with XP.

And then there were all the junctions, and libraries, and the virtual
store, which meant that Win 7 programs were storing data in locations which
I did not expect or understand.

So I would worry that you might wind up with data which was mixed up as
regards ownership and location, and maybe unusable by XP *and* Win 7.

But hey, I'm such an optimist (and probably wrong).

--
no nym
0
On 2014/02/13 06:41, no nym wrote:

> Is the data on D:\ backed up anywhere else ?

Thanks for the reply - some of the data is. I think she wants to use D:\
to house profiles from THunderbird and Palemoon and some other programs,
ie move all data off Windows 7 C:\
0
Chris
2/12/2014 11:34:46 PM
Chris (Hunt) wrote:

> My wife has a new SSD drive and we have loaded Windows 7 on it. Her
> old system is on another physical drive containing two partitions -
> what was C:\ and D:\. My wife wants to use the data on what was D:\
> If we connect the physical drive to the new system then presumably
> windows 7 will assign new drive letters to the partitions. Are there
> any possible gotchas to look out for? We want to keep the old Windows
> XP system intact until all the software is installed and customised.
> The idea being if we disconnect drive new C:\ and put the old one
> back then Windows XP will boot again. We don't want Windows 7
> nobbling any system files for XP. Eventually we will remove XP and
> join old C\ and D:\ together to make a single partition on the
> physical drive. Apologies if this question is basic but we rarely
> update systems. Thanks in advance.

A lot depends on the system.  Newer systems allow you to set the boot
priority in BIOS.  After setting the DVD/USB/HDD priority, you can also
set the physical disc priority for all your HDDs and SSDs.  If your
BIOS Setup allows that, simply set the SSD as first priority.

In older systems, you may have to attach the primary boot drive to a
specific port (Port 0 for SATA; IDE 1 Master for IDE).

After you get the system booted into Win7, you can simply set the drive
letters for the other drives in Drive Manager.
0
John

File System Partitioning for a Bugzilla System
Dear All, Hello. Can someone recommend proper partitioning layout for a Linux system to run Bugzilla, MySQL (source install) and Apache (source install)? Looking at an old Bugzilla system, it shows: / 1GB /usr 9.38GB /var 1.87GB /home 1.87 Is this fine? What about NOEXEC, NOSUID or READONLY filesystems in the equation? Thanks in advance mates! Carlos Carlos Sunden wrote: > Dear All, > Hello. Can someone recommend proper partitioning layout for a Linux system > to run Bugzilla, MySQL (source install) and Apache (source in...

Increasing partition size on a boot/system partition.
I decided to expand the C: drive on my computer, so I got a 300 gig hard drive I had laying around and made it the primary drive on my PC. I set out to install WindowsXP/Pro on it but because my OEM install disk was old (pre-service packs), the largest hard drive that Windows could see was 127 gigabytes. Windows is installed (patched to SP3) and is working fine, but the C: drive is only 127 gigs NTFS, with a 170 gig unallocated area on the hard drive. I partitioned and formatted that unallocated area as a second drive, but I really want to expand the C: partition to include all 3...

Increasing partition size on a boot/system partition. #2
I decided to expand the C: drive on my computer, so I got a 300 gig hard drive I had laying around and made it the primary drive on my PC. I set out to install WindowsXP/Pro on it but because my OEM install disk was old (pre-service packs), the largest hard drive that Windows could see was 127 gigabytes. Windows is installed (patched to SP3) and is working fine, but the C: drive is only 127 gigs NTFS, with a 170 gig unallocated area on the hard drive. I partitioned and formatted that unallocated area as a second drive, but I really want to expand the C: partition to include all 300 gigs...

System with Partitions Died!
We had a system with partitions (R/W) die. I would like to just remove all references from the directory because I am have very little luck restoring the system. How can I go about doing this? I believe there are several TIDs on this, but this is I've done in the past. Assuming you will not be able to revive the server: 1. Delete the server and volume objects. 2. On the server with the master replica, run "dsrepair - a" 3. Select Advanced Options Menu 4. Select replica and partitions operations 5. Select the partition that has a replica on the dead server. 6. ...

Compaq System Partition
ML370 G2, used SmartStart 7.40 to update BIOS, erase Array and re-create RAID5 Array, however I can't find the utility to create the Compaq System Partition, I did it successfully the other week for a client using SmartStart 5.50 (as that was the highest version of SmartStart that particular server supported). Any help would be appreciated. NetWare 6.5 will be going on this box. mia@foo.com wrote: > ML370 G2, used SmartStart 7.40 to update BIOS, erase Array and > re-create RAID5 Array, however I can't find the utility to create the > Compaq System Partition, I did ...

Moving partitions on a multiboot system
Hi, I have Windows XP and OpenSuSE 11.1 installed on my laptop. I have recently removed the recovery partition provided by the laptop manufacturer (HP) to free up some space and ideally I would like to be able to add the free space to the existing Windows partition. The current partition set up is as follows: Code: -------------------- Disk size 93Gb, P = Primary, L = Logical, U = Unallocated P Windows XP 36Gb /dev/sda1 /windows P Linux LVM 8Gb /dev/sda2 L Extended 43.25Gb /dev/sda3 containing: Linux Swap 3Gb /dev/sda5 Linux Ext3 8Gb ...

raw partition and system cache
Is there anyone successfully create IQ databse in raw partition for ASIQ 12.4 (NT)? We also found IQ will acquire a lot of system cache from NT. After for some while, the query will cause a lot of paging and got poor response time. Then we close IQ engine, all the system cache release. We run the same query and the beheavior will go back normal. Is there any option we could set? Wen-Tsau Yes, you can use raw devices in NT - in fact you must use them for IQ Multiplex on NT. You address the device as \\.\G: where G is the drive letter. For file systems on NT, you mig...

Move XP system partition
I need advice on moving the system partition on a WinXP Home system. I originally had a dual boot with Win98 on C: and XPH on H: I have long since removed Win98, leaving only some clutter behind on a shrunken C: partition. I would like to move XPH from H: to C: (which I will resize to accomodate it.) I am using Powerquest Partition Magic 7 and Powerquest Drive Image 7. My main question is this: I am pretty sure that XPH is using C: during boot up. I cannot find ntldr or ntdetect or boot.ini anywhere on C: or H: If I delete and recreate C: will I be able to boot into XPH? How wil...

RAW Partitions or File system?
I am getting ready to set up IQ12.4.2 onto a SUN Solaris 8. What is the best way to setup the operating environment, file system or raw partition? Pros? cons? Christina: I would suggest raw devices using as large as device as you can build up to the 128GB max. Be sure you are using the 64 bit version of IQ w/ Solaris 8. Your cache sizes for IQ are essentially unlimited. Depending upon largest table size (in rows), amount of memory and number of concurrent users (running queries) consider if larger IQ Pages Size is appropriate (128K or 256K vs 64K). See the IQ Admin &am...

how to push out a partition from RS system
Hi, I have a partition on file system with a 'block failure' error. It has just one queue on it for 96Mb. After theese 96Mb there are othe 6Gb of transactions for the same queue on raw-device. I do not want to rebuild queue and loose 6Gb of transactions just for 96Mb of a corrupted queue. It is not a problem to loose 96MB of transactions in my system. I think it should be possible updating rs_segments and rs_diskpartitions in RSSD. Do You know exactly how and if it is possible? Does the following describe your situation? - first 96MB of the queue resides on a corrupted par...

What is the difference between System.Single, System.Double, and System.Decimal datatypes?
Hi,Anybody know the differences between these datatypes? what should i use for multiplication and division of decimal numbers?thanks! The difference between Single and Double is how large of a number they can hold.A variable defined as Single can hold a number as large as 3.402823e38.  Such a variable consumes 32 bits of system memory.A variable defined as Double can hold a number as large as 1.79769313486232e308.  Such a variable consumes 64 bits of system memory.A Decimal consumes 96 bits of system memory and is best when you need an unusually large number of decimal places to ...

Possible to partition a USB key and 1 partition be a TrueCrypt partition?
I would like to partition a USB key and have 1 partition be a fully encrypted TC partition and the other one to have a auto-run file that prompts me for a TC password. Is this possible? -Zak- ZakM wrote: > > I would like to partition a USB key and have 1 partition be a fully > encrypted TC partition and the other one to have a auto-run file that > prompts me for a TC password. > > Is this possible? Read the TrueCrypt manual and look up Traveller Mode. http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=truecrypt-portable Bye! ZakM says... > I would like to ...

Trying to add partition with XP partition mgr = no bootable partitions
Hi everyone, first post. I have little experience with Linux, took a course, read bulletproof linux. That was several years ago. My friend convinced me to set up opensuse kde with him, so I did. Set it up a few days ago on my semi-new Hitachi 1TB drive. XP was installed first, cloned from the previous (failing) drive, and took me forever to get it working. It was set up as: Hitachi HD: 1st part: XP (250gb) 2nd Part: opensuse system 3rd Part: opensuse swap 4th Part: opensuse data (2/3 may be swapped) I still had 600GB unpartitioned and went to add a new 250GB partition via ...

File systems vs. Raw partitions
We are debating putting our Production ASE 12.5.0.3 server onto file systems vs. raw partitions. According to stuff I've seen on the Sybase web site Sybase says Adaptive Server does not support asynchronous I/O on operating system files for HP-UX and Digital UNIX and Sybase warns that performance is degraded by using dsync on, but recovery is jeopardized by setting dsync off. Any comments? Is there a way I can use file systems on HP-UX without getting a performance hit by losing async I/O and maintaining recoverability? Allan G. agrimshaw@agricoreunited.com Allan ...

Web resources about - Systems and Partitions - grc.techtalk

Partition and secession in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After the California Constitutional Convention of 1849 applied for statehood in the current boundaries, the South reluctantly acceded to a single, ...

[Ermahgerd] Verizon Apps Spotted On The Nexus 6's System Partition After The Android 5.1 Update, Rustled ...
The Internet is in the midst of having a mini hemorrhage over something that, basically, doesn't matter. Shocking, right? It appears that a few ...

MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 9 simplifies OS migration, adds Storage Spaces support
MiniTool has unveiled a major new update to its partition management software for Windows with the release of MiniTool Partition Wizard Free ...

How to partition your drive before installing Windows 10
Want to test Windows 10 on your PC? Create a hard drive partition for a worry-free install.

Paragon Software Releases Partition Manager 15
Partition Manager 15 software comes with file system converters to adapt the most common file systems including NTFS, HFS+, and FAT.

Kim Kardashian Slams Beyonce After Wedding Feud: 'KUWTK' Season 9 Instagram Star Blames 'Partition' Singer ...
It looks like Kim Kardashian is done trying to make Beyonce her new best friend. After putting in a tremendous amount of effort to get on good ...

Iraq: The 'idea of a soft partition came from the US'
Is Iraq headed towards a partition? The rise of the Islamic State group has highlighted the weakness of the central power.Myriam Benraad is a ...

How to partition your Mac to test OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan may be in Public Beta now, but that doesn't mean it's 100 percent stable. Here's how to put it somewhere it can't cause problems. ...

Watch: The untold story of the Partition of India
http://www.zeenews.com Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ZeeNews Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZeeNews Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Zeenews ...