peer to peer

Hi guys

I don't have to reset my home peer to peer often so I have totally forgotten
how to do it.
I am running win98se with all the updates, thin Ethernet cable Ethernet
cards in each machine.  The computer tells me that the ports, irq, and mem
address match between hardware and software, the workgroup names are the
same. I can see the one computer name in nhood  on each machine but not both
names on each machine. I uninstalled ZAF and moved the IE6.0 beta INTRANET
security to low.  This was working yesterday I installed a new copy of
Win98se on my wife's machine which hadn't been cleaned out for three years.
So lets cut the IE and 98SE slams and please help me get this working.  Also
how can I find a copy of Network Bondage that Steve wrote.  Thanks.

--
        ******Just Driftin' Ken******
0

Is this what you are looking for:  http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm
0
Ben
8/28/2001 11:39:00 PM
"Kenneth" <kenneth@gnt.net> wrote in message
: Hi guys
:
[...]

Check your TCP/IP settings on the machine that DIDN'T have any changes
first, for reference, then check the same settings on the reinstalled
machine, particularly the DHCP settings, IP address, and network mask
(aka subnet mask). If you don't use DHCP and the IP addresses are
compatible, install NetBEUI and see if that helps. If you do use DHCP,
use Winipcfg to check your IP address. If it reads 0.0.0.0, then the PC
is not communicating with the DHCP server for some reason. Check the
physical connection, then if you find and fix a problem, click the Renew
All button, then check the network connection again.

HTH

---
Kris aka the Ogden Computer Guy
When in doubt, do as the Doubtans do ;-)
I'm not a black hat. I'm not a white hat. I'm a Red Hat ;-)

Ogden
8/29/2001 4:04:00 AM
Another simple test id this:

Install Netbeui on both systems.
Disconnect the hub from the cable / dsl.
set tcp/ip addresses to non routable addresses (eg 192.168.0.1 and
192.168.0.2)
Make sure you have the same workgroup assigned to both machines. Have file
and print sharing set on both.

Reboot.

If that works then work backwards assigning DHCP to both systems, reconnect
the cable / dsl to the hub and use a firewall to protect your sharing.

N.
0
Lunch
8/29/2001 6:01:00 AM
Ken here,
Thanks for the support.  I found the answer.  For some unknown reason I wet
the IRQ DIP to 10.  I Seem to recall that being a cascaded IRQ and it would
return what ever free IRQ it could when a request was routed to it.  Ergo,
many request would fool the windows software by reporting some number that
was not 10 forcing the software and hardware to appear to agree.  Very
strange.  If this is correct, the system works now, it is even stranger that
the human mind can develop such answers while one sleeps.  Thanks Ken
0
Kenneth
8/29/2001 2:44:00 PM
: Ken here,
: Thanks for the support.  I found the answer.  For some unknown reason
I wet
: the IRQ DIP to 10.  I Seem to recall that being a cascaded IRQ and it
would
: return what ever free IRQ it could when a request was routed to it.
Ergo,
: many request would fool the windows software by reporting some number
that
: was not 10 forcing the software and hardware to appear to agree.  Very
: strange.  If this is correct, the system works now, it is even
stranger that
: the human mind can develop such answers while one sleeps.  Thanks Ken

IIRC, the cascaded IRQ is 2 -> 9, meaning that if you put something on 2
it is really on 9. Unless you have a third PIC* (not likely, I've never
heard of it and I imagine you'd need a special extension to the ISA BUS
to use it, though how that would affect PCI, if PCI is what is being
discussed here, presents new issues).

I guess the real issue here is, did the change you made to the card
work? If so, then you fixed it, NQA** :-)

*Programmable Interrupt Controller
**No questions asked

---