Peer to peer with XP

I'm back to my never ending network server dilemma...
I last left off building a new server computer running W2Kpro and
Metadot portal intranet server. It has been working well but not in
active use, it's sitting on my bench running everything and backing
itself up every night. Problem with Metadot is a) I cannot get direct
file access to the HD. b) It's way more than we need.

We basically just want to have access to shared MS access, word and
excel docs on the server and be able to open them on any local PC. In
the Win9x days this is what worked, but since the addition of new and,
ahem, improved Win XP PC's joining our little LAN this peer to peer
sharing has been a mess.

New development: Our last Win9x PC is getting replaced next week, after
that we will have only WinXPh and 2kpro on the lan. What are the chances
that I could setup, and have consistently working, a NT peer to peer
LAN? And what protocol would be best to use?
I could probably even spend a little money if need be, the boss wants
this done right for a refreshing change, since we've been cobbling
together patches and work-arounds to this problem for several years now.

Specs: SBC DSL, befsr81 8 port router, 4 XPh boxes, 2 W2k boxes
including the server, all wired router to box via cat5e.

--
-Scott

Endless Loop: n.,see Loop, Endless. Loop Endless: n.,see Endless Loop.
-Anonymous
0
Lab1

Lab1 wrote:
[snip]
> New development: Our last Win9x PC is getting replaced next week, after
> that we will have only WinXPh and 2kpro on the lan. What are the chances
> that I could setup, and have consistently working, a NT peer to peer
> LAN? And what protocol would be best to use?

If you couldn't make it work yourself on the existing computer mix, you
won't make it work on the future mix, unless you get help from an expert.

> I could probably even spend a little money if need be, the boss wants
> this done right for a refreshing change, since we've been cobbling
> together patches and work-arounds to this problem for several years now.

There you go... get someone to come in, sort out the network issues,
explain thoroughly what needed to be fixed and you're off to a flying
start with the new setup.

--
Le Flake
 From deepest, darkest Ontario
Le Flake wrote:

> There you go... get someone to come in, sort out the network issues,
> explain thoroughly what needed to be fixed and you're off to a flying
> start with the new setup.

But that would be admitting defeat!
(Which, coincidentally, I did once before when I first started here and
the 9x peer to peer lan was flaking out. All the guy did was load 95b on
the server PC.)
You are sadly, probably correct however.

--
-Scott

Endless Loop: n.,see Loop, Endless. Loop Endless: n.,see Endless Loop.
-Anonymous
0
Lab1
3/7/2006 7:26:08 PM
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:55:28 -0500, Lab1 wrote:

> Specs: SBC DSL

They are still around? Last I heard, they went the way of Ameritech. Well,
sort of... Since Jan. 1, 2006 I've been connecting to the Internet with
at&t Yahoo! HSI.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

Dusting off Netbeui and loading it on the XP boxes, would a wins server
be the best way to handle routing? If so, is there a way run a wins
server on w2kpro? Or does that require w2kserver?

--
-Scott

Endless Loop: n.,see Loop, Endless. Loop Endless: n.,see Endless Loop.
-Anonymous
0
Lab1
3/7/2006 10:28:31 PM
Lab1 <Lab1@dot.com> wrote in news:dukl26$1eg0$1@news.grc.com:

> Specs: SBC DSL, befsr81 8 port router, 4 XPh boxes, 2 W2k boxes
> including the server, all wired router to box via cat5e.

Blow away the "server" and turn it into something like this:
http://www.contribs.org
There are lots of linux distros that have all the features of SME Server,
renamed to contribs.org.

One that comes to mind is Clark Connect Home Edition.  If you pay them
money and it is not expensive, they support you, but really, you could fix
it yourself most likely.
http://www.clarkconnect.com/

XP has a connection limit (10 concurrent?), so if you share a printer and
some folders and have a few users, boom, you have a flakey network!
Servers are the answer, the ones I mentioned are fairly simple and well
documented.

--
Ciao, Dave
0
Dave Taylor wrote:

[snip]

> XP has a connection limit (10 concurrent?), so if you share a printer and
> some folders and have a few users, boom, you have a flakey network!
> Servers are the answer, the ones I mentioned are fairly simple and well
> documented.

Ummmm.... XP limited to 10 concurrent TCP users? I don't think so.
Here's a screenshot of my XP Pro and TCPView. You'll see 20
_established_ connections in this example... IIRC you can have a maximum
of 50...

XP Pro SP2 fully patched.

<http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/6464/xpconnections3nx.png>

Scroll your browser to the right to see the TCPView panel... the image
is 1400x1050.

--
Le Flake
 From deepest, darkest Ontario

PEER-TO-PEER
Howdy Security minded people!!! Iwas wondering , How much Peer -to -peer file sharing can you NOT do with a GOOD firewall like ZONE alarm, TpF , and SYgate.????????? Does not a firewall BLOCK OFF the PORT 139 NETBIOS feature that is SO intrinsic to FILESHARING ?? ,ala GNUTELLA , GROKSTER ,IMESH ,KAZZA ????????????? sstu wrote: > Howdy Security minded people!!! Iwas wondering , How much Peer > -to -peer file sharing can you NOT do with a GOOD firewall like ZONE > alarm, TpF , and SYgate.????????? Does not a firewall BLOCK OFF the > PORT 139 NETBIOS feat...

Peer to Peer
Hi, I am studying a new Peer2Peer project and I have some concerns that speed limit cannot be done. I mean. The software can show the download (or upload) is using n% ( n<30) of your bandwidth but in fact it's using all of it. If I get the project, I will use Delphi + Indy. But first I would like to know from you if you can control your bandwidth through a software? TIA, Clément Hi, You generally cant control the peak bandwidth use (unless you have the intention to hack the network card in use). You can however control the bandwidth use over time. You do th...

peer to peer
Hi guys I don't have to reset my home peer to peer often so I have totally forgotten how to do it. I am running win98se with all the updates, thin Ethernet cable Ethernet cards in each machine. The computer tells me that the ports, irq, and mem address match between hardware and software, the workgroup names are the same. I can see the one computer name in nhood on each machine but not both names on each machine. I uninstalled ZAF and moved the IE6.0 beta INTRANET security to low. This was working yesterday I installed a new copy of Win98se on my wife's machine which hadn...

peer to peer with mynew xp
I got a new notebook, with my first use of xp. Our small lan is all w98se. When I plug in the notebook and set up an ip address, I can ping all the computers both ways but can't do the file share. from what I read xp doesn't use netbeui, but does install netbios which is used for the lan file and machine access. However, a few of the articles I read on this say xp has to install the netBEUI to work with win98 machines, yet MS discontinues support or recommendation of using thie proto. I see xp does supply the netbeui as an add on but since it is not part of the sta...

ShieldsUp and the XP Peer-To-Peer Update
According to Microsoft, the XP Peer-To-Peer Update will include an IPv6 stack. I'm wondering how this will affect XP users, as ShieldsUp won't be able to tell if anything is running :( In other words, services could use IPv6 only, and hide from IPv4 scanners, but still have the same issues as their predecessors. -- Robert Bradley I am not a mindreader, so I don't know everything. "Robert Bradley" <robert.bradley_family@localhost.invalid> wrote in message news:b7efgm$rbt$1@news.grc.com... > According to Microsoft, the XP Peer-To-Peer Update will i...

XP / Win 98 in a Peer-to-Peer LAN
It is my understanding that Win XP has some restrictions on the number of nodes that can be in an XP peer-to-peer LAN. If I have it right the Home version allows 5 nodes and the Pro version 10. I am helping an organization with an approximately 10 node Win 98/Win 98SE peer-to-peer network spec out several new computers. This will mean that there will a mixed XP / Win 98 environment. I need to more fully understand the XP limits. If we put an XP computer in the network with, say, 10 Win 98 machines, what happens? Is it such that an XP Pro machine will only see 9 of the Win 98 n...

Ghost peer to peer
Sometimes we ghost image 1 machine from another (peer to peer). If I do this with ZCM, what must I do to the freshly imaged machine to have registration, etc. work correctly? -- willmw ------------------------------------------------------------------------ willmw, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or che...

Peer to peer connection
Hi, I'm trying to make a program to transfer files between my pc and another that is behind a router. My side will act as master and the other just as a slave, serving what master asks without user interference. I know that the easiest way is to run a idTCPserver at the slave side and a idTCPclient at master's side, but this needs to forward the used port at the router. I want to keep out of this. So I try the reverse way. A idTCPclient at slave side and idTCPserver at my side as master (in my side I can forward ports). Starting the slave it connects to master-server. Af...

Peer 2 Peer
Hi, is there any quick guide about using P2P functionality in 3.8?, i've been using unison between 2 hosts and worked well so far. Now I need to sync 4 machines with the same data and I guess iFolder would do a better job. Regards, -- ciriarte ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ciriarte, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Vis...

Peer to Peer Issues
I have a small network operating behind a NAT router, OSs consist of XP home and Ubuntu Linux. On my NAT router I have tended to block all ports outbound and open up as required. In the UK many TV networks operate a Peer to Peer system to allow viewers to catch up on TV programs after the initial broadcast. What are the main security issues with this, I understand P2P as effectively allowing anyone access to my PC but assume this is Read Only and only a specific directory. To date I have tended to use the streaming service but quality is less than obtaining the entire p...

Peer to Peer Option
--____ADXKZADLVECJQHAJDWKJ____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Tue, 20 Feb 2006 10:29:28 +0000" Hi, Does anyone know how to setup the iFolder 3.2 peer to peer option? on the = iFolder website (www.ifolder.com) it says it is contained in the source = downloads. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance. Steve. --____ADXKZADLVECJQHAJDWKJ____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____SBDTGINQINGHZHNMBGVL____" --____SBDTGINQINGHZHNMBGVL____ ...

peer to peer programming
Hi, Does anyone know where I could find information about creating peer to peer applications in perl? (Like messengers that don't require a base server...) If it is possible to do it in perl, please tell me where I can find more about it if you know. Thank you. Octavian On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 20:45 +0300, Octavian Rasnita wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know where I could find information about creating peer to peer > applications in perl? > (Like messengers that don't require a base server...) > > If it is possible to do it in perl, plea...

Peer to peer applications
Am facing a problem in developing peer to peer appln. first of all a machine has two ips(one private visible in intranet like 192.168.0.121 and second public ip visible in internet 10.2.2.3).now i need to connect to a peer located at remote place with the same criteria(two ips).The problem is i cnt go through the public ip to internal ip.On reading some articles on net i came to know the technique used to connect through public ip to private ip is termed as "HOLE PUNCHING"/"PORT FORWARDING".can some one help me on this issue? r is there any alternative other than this.I have to do it progra...

Hamachi
Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses. Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses. Geoff Lane Geoff Lane wrote: > Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the > understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on > to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses. > > Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses. > > Geoff Lane > I'm not sure...

Web resources about - Peer to peer with XP - grc.techtalk

Life peer (United Kingdom) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the United Kingdom , life peers are appointed members of the peerage , whose titles cannot be inherited, in contrast to hereditary peers . ...

Yandere Simulator: Video game lets Japanese schoolgirl stalk, murder peers
A JAPANESE schoolgirl stands still for a moment contemplating her next move. Her white shirt is covered in blood and a steely determination ...

Martin Peers Promoted at The Information
The Information, the tech subscription site that was founded in 2013, has named Martin Peers managing editor. Peers most recently served as ...

AT&T Inc Follows Its Peers, Drops Two-Year Mobile Contract
In a move to walk away from subsidies, AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is set to stop offering a two-year contract to its customers by January 2016.

Glenn Frey Tributes Pour In From Peers and Admirers
... tributes from those in the worlds of music, entertainment, media and politics are quickly pouring in for The Eagles co-founder. Friends, peers ...

Lupita Nyong'o 'Disappointed' With Oscars' Lack of Diversity: 'I Stand With My Peers'
The Academy Award winner chimed in on the controversy surrounding this year's nominees.

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection Combats 'Peer Phishing'
New updates make it tougher for phishers to pull off scams that rely on impersonating bosses, co-workers and other personnel.

How Does Unilever's EBITDA Margins Compare With Its Peers?
How Does Unilever's EBITDA Margins Compare With Its Peers? Despite being the second largest CPG company in the world, Unilever’s EBITDA margin ...

Peers urge GM insects trial to curb pests
Government ‘has moral duty’ to test life-saving potential, says science committee

Peer Up Inside This Rocket Launch Tower
It’s a long way up inside this tower, but not as far as its contents can reach. This is the Esrange launch tower in Sweden, and it’s used to ...