peer to peer with mynew xp

I got a new notebook, with my first use of xp.  Our small lan is all w98se.
When I plug in the notebook and set up an ip address, I can ping all the
computers both ways but can't do the file share.

from what I read xp doesn't use netbeui, but does install netbios which is
used for the lan file and machine access.  However, a few of the articles I
read on this say xp has to install the netBEUI to work with win98 machines,
yet MS discontinues support or recommendation of using thie proto.   I see
xp does supply the netbeui as an add on but since it is not part of the
standard install, I suspect MS has a better way to set up with win98
machines.

Is there a way to set up a lan, file share, with xp and w98se without
netbeui.
0
Phil

can't remember the exact folder name on you 'doze install cd but search
for nbf.sys then follow the below

Installation instructions for NetBEUI protocol on Windows XP and Windows
2002.

* copy nbf.sys into the %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ directory
* copy netnbf.inf into the %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\ directory
* open network connection properties and use "Install..." button to add
NetBEUI protocol

Phil wrote:
> I got a new notebook, with my first use of xp.  Our small lan is all w98se.
> When I plug in the notebook and set up an ip address, I can ping all the
> computers both ways but can't do the file share.
>
> from what I read xp doesn't use netbeui, but does install netbios which is
> used for the lan file and machine access.  However, a few of the articles I
> read on this say xp has to install the netBEUI to work with win98 machines,
> yet MS discontinues support or recommendation of using thie proto.   I see
> xp does supply the netbeui as an add on but since it is not part of the
> standard install, I suspect MS has a better way to set up with win98
> machines.
>
> Is there a way to set up a lan, file share, with xp and w98se without
> netbeui.

0
Trey
12/26/2004 4:46:00 PM
Phil <me@fake.one> wrote:
> I got a new notebook, with my first use of xp.  Our small lan is all
> w98se. When I plug in the notebook and set up an ip address, I can
> ping all the computers both ways but can't do the file share.
>
> from what I read xp doesn't use netbeui, but does install netbios
> which is used for the lan file and machine access.  However, a few of
> the articles I read on this say xp has to install the netBEUI to work
> with win98 machines, yet MS discontinues support or recommendation of
> using thie proto.   I see xp does supply the netbeui as an add on but
> since it is not part of the standard install, I suspect MS has a
> better way to set up with win98 machines.
>
> Is there a way to set up a lan, file share, with xp and w98se without
> netbeui.

I can do it with W2K and Win98SE and TCP/IP.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

--
Robert
GRC newsgroup tips - http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm

> a few of the articles I read on this say xp has to install the netBEUI
> to work with win98 machines, yet MS discontinues support or
> recommendation of using thie proto.
>
> Is there a way to set up a lan, file share, with xp and w98se without
> netbeui.

I don't use NetBEUI on Win98, I just use NetBIOS over TCP/IP (which should
be what XP is already using).  My Win98SE box interfaces nicely with my
Linux boxes and a friend's XP and Win2000 boxes.  Probably the only issues
to snare someone setting up sharing is to remember to share something on
each machine, and you *might* have to create user accounts with the same
names and passwords on each machine (you certainly should if you want to be
able to operate as the same user on each machine, and share private files
between each of them just to yourself and not to everybody on the LAN).

--
If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
temporary).  But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

This message was sent without a virus, please delete some files yourself.
0
Tim
12/27/2004 3:28:00 PM
I had a 98 / 2000 PRO network that used TCP / IP and NETBEUI, and it worked
well. After acquiring an XP machine, all hell broke loose when trying to add
it to the network. The XP suggested that it would create a floppy disk with
a program (NETSETUP.EXE) that should be run on all machines running any
system other that 2000 PRO (?). That program changed all network settings on
the 98 machine, and the network stopped working. After DAYS of fiddling, the
98 / 2000 network worked again, but all attempts, and all the "wizards" on
the XP machine, failed. Tricks with the HOSTS. file allowed all machines to
"ping" all others, but no Explorer shares could be established with the XP
machine, as "access was denied", and I could not determine what machine
required permission for this machine to use the network.

I may have had a virus. After a "blue screen" start (actually a "stop
screen") on the 2000 machine, the total loss of the hard drive contents, and
a re - install of the OS, the network seems to work fine using only TCP /
IP, though that seems rather slower than NETBEUI with initial share
connections. I did need to add the user names and passwords for the other
machines to the 2000 machine to get connectivity. I did not need to do this
on 98 or XP. Rather odd...

"Phil" <me@fake.one> wrote in message news:cqmp1u$1n1r$1@news.grc.com...
> I got a new notebook, with my first use of xp.  Our small lan is all
w98se.
> When I plug in the notebook and set up an ip address, I can ping all the
> computers both ways but can't do the file share.
>
> from what I read xp doesn't use netbeui, but does install netbios which is
> used for the lan file and machine access.  However, a few of the articles
> read on this say xp has to install the netBEUI to work with win98
machines,
> yet MS discontinues support or recommendation of using thie proto.   I see
> xp does supply the netbeui as an add on but since it is not part of the
> standard install, I suspect MS has a better way to set up with win98
> machines.
>
> Is there a way to set up a lan, file share, with xp and w98se without
> netbeui.
0
Chip
12/28/2004 5:17:10 AM
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:17:10 -0800, "Chip Select" <someone@nowhere.net>
posted:

> I had a 98 / 2000 PRO network that used TCP / IP and NETBEUI, and it
> worked well. After acquiring an XP machine, all hell broke loose when
> trying to add it to the network. The XP suggested that it would create a
> floppy disk with a program (NETSETUP.EXE) that should be run on all
> machines running any system other that 2000 PRO (?). That program
> changed all network settings on the 98 machine, and the network stopped
> working. After DAYS of fiddling, the 98 / 2000 network worked again, but
> all attempts, and all the "wizards" on the XP machine, failed. Tricks
> with the HOSTS. file allowed all machines to "ping" all others, but no
> Explorer shares could be established with the XP machine, as "access was
> denied", and I could not determine what machine required permission for
> this machine to use the network.

Your HOSTS file generally won't help with resource sharing.  It's the
LMHOSTS file that does machine name resolution for LAN manager type of
activities (file and printer sharing).

> the network seems to work fine using only TCP/IP, though that seems
> rather slower than NETBEUI with initial share connections.

NetBEUI is a simpler scheme, though the overhead of TCP/IP shouldn't make
a really significant difference.

> I did need to add the user names and passwords for the other machines to
> the 2000 machine to get connectivity. I did not need to do this on 98 or
> XP. Rather odd...

They each have different ways that they share their resources.  Microsoft
just won't make their mind up about how to do these things, they're
typical inconsistencies.

--
If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
temporary).  But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

This message was sent without a virus, please delete some files yourself.
0
Tim

Peer to peer with XP
I'm back to my never ending network server dilemma... I last left off building a new server computer running W2Kpro and Metadot portal intranet server. It has been working well but not in active use, it's sitting on my bench running everything and backing itself up every night. Problem with Metadot is a) I cannot get direct file access to the HD. b) It's way more than we need. We basically just want to have access to shared MS access, word and excel docs on the server and be able to open them on any local PC. In the Win9x days this is what worked, but since the addi...

PEER-TO-PEER
Howdy Security minded people!!! Iwas wondering , How much Peer -to -peer file sharing can you NOT do with a GOOD firewall like ZONE alarm, TpF , and SYgate.????????? Does not a firewall BLOCK OFF the PORT 139 NETBIOS feature that is SO intrinsic to FILESHARING ?? ,ala GNUTELLA , GROKSTER ,IMESH ,KAZZA ????????????? sstu wrote: > Howdy Security minded people!!! Iwas wondering , How much Peer > -to -peer file sharing can you NOT do with a GOOD firewall like ZONE > alarm, TpF , and SYgate.????????? Does not a firewall BLOCK OFF the > PORT 139 NETBIOS feat...

Peer to Peer
Hi, I am studying a new Peer2Peer project and I have some concerns that speed limit cannot be done. I mean. The software can show the download (or upload) is using n% ( n<30) of your bandwidth but in fact it's using all of it. If I get the project, I will use Delphi + Indy. But first I would like to know from you if you can control your bandwidth through a software? TIA, Clément Hi, You generally cant control the peak bandwidth use (unless you have the intention to hack the network card in use). You can however control the bandwidth use over time. You do th...

peer to peer
Hi guys I don't have to reset my home peer to peer often so I have totally forgotten how to do it. I am running win98se with all the updates, thin Ethernet cable Ethernet cards in each machine. The computer tells me that the ports, irq, and mem address match between hardware and software, the workgroup names are the same. I can see the one computer name in nhood on each machine but not both names on each machine. I uninstalled ZAF and moved the IE6.0 beta INTRANET security to low. This was working yesterday I installed a new copy of Win98se on my wife's machine which hadn...

ShieldsUp and the XP Peer-To-Peer Update
According to Microsoft, the XP Peer-To-Peer Update will include an IPv6 stack. I'm wondering how this will affect XP users, as ShieldsUp won't be able to tell if anything is running :( In other words, services could use IPv6 only, and hide from IPv4 scanners, but still have the same issues as their predecessors. -- Robert Bradley I am not a mindreader, so I don't know everything. "Robert Bradley" <robert.bradley_family@localhost.invalid> wrote in message news:b7efgm$rbt$1@news.grc.com... > According to Microsoft, the XP Peer-To-Peer Update will i...

XP / Win 98 in a Peer-to-Peer LAN
It is my understanding that Win XP has some restrictions on the number of nodes that can be in an XP peer-to-peer LAN. If I have it right the Home version allows 5 nodes and the Pro version 10. I am helping an organization with an approximately 10 node Win 98/Win 98SE peer-to-peer network spec out several new computers. This will mean that there will a mixed XP / Win 98 environment. I need to more fully understand the XP limits. If we put an XP computer in the network with, say, 10 Win 98 machines, what happens? Is it such that an XP Pro machine will only see 9 of the Win 98 n...

Ghost peer to peer
Sometimes we ghost image 1 machine from another (peer to peer). If I do this with ZCM, what must I do to the freshly imaged machine to have registration, etc. work correctly? -- willmw ------------------------------------------------------------------------ willmw, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or che...

Peer to peer connection
Hi, I'm trying to make a program to transfer files between my pc and another that is behind a router. My side will act as master and the other just as a slave, serving what master asks without user interference. I know that the easiest way is to run a idTCPserver at the slave side and a idTCPclient at master's side, but this needs to forward the used port at the router. I want to keep out of this. So I try the reverse way. A idTCPclient at slave side and idTCPserver at my side as master (in my side I can forward ports). Starting the slave it connects to master-server. Af...

Peer 2 Peer
Hi, is there any quick guide about using P2P functionality in 3.8?, i've been using unison between 2 hosts and worked well so far. Now I need to sync 4 machines with the same data and I guess iFolder would do a better job. Regards, -- ciriarte ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ciriarte, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Vis...

Peer to Peer Issues
I have a small network operating behind a NAT router, OSs consist of XP home and Ubuntu Linux. On my NAT router I have tended to block all ports outbound and open up as required. In the UK many TV networks operate a Peer to Peer system to allow viewers to catch up on TV programs after the initial broadcast. What are the main security issues with this, I understand P2P as effectively allowing anyone access to my PC but assume this is Read Only and only a specific directory. To date I have tended to use the streaming service but quality is less than obtaining the entire p...

Peer to Peer Option
--____ADXKZADLVECJQHAJDWKJ____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Tue, 20 Feb 2006 10:29:28 +0000" Hi, Does anyone know how to setup the iFolder 3.2 peer to peer option? on the = iFolder website (www.ifolder.com) it says it is contained in the source = downloads. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance. Steve. --____ADXKZADLVECJQHAJDWKJ____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____SBDTGINQINGHZHNMBGVL____" --____SBDTGINQINGHZHNMBGVL____ ...

peer to peer programming
Hi, Does anyone know where I could find information about creating peer to peer applications in perl? (Like messengers that don't require a base server...) If it is possible to do it in perl, please tell me where I can find more about it if you know. Thank you. Octavian On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 20:45 +0300, Octavian Rasnita wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know where I could find information about creating peer to peer > applications in perl? > (Like messengers that don't require a base server...) > > If it is possible to do it in perl, plea...

Peer to peer applications
Am facing a problem in developing peer to peer appln. first of all a machine has two ips(one private visible in intranet like 192.168.0.121 and second public ip visible in internet 10.2.2.3).now i need to connect to a peer located at remote place with the same criteria(two ips).The problem is i cnt go through the public ip to internal ip.On reading some articles on net i came to know the technique used to connect through public ip to private ip is termed as "HOLE PUNCHING"/"PORT FORWARDING".can some one help me on this issue? r is there any alternative other than this.I have to do it progra...

Hamachi
Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses. Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses. Geoff Lane Geoff Lane wrote: > Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the > understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on > to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses. > > Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses. > > Geoff Lane > I'm not sure...

Web resources about - peer to peer with mynew xp - grc.techtalk

NBC News Vegas Ch. 3 (@VegasMyNews3)

MyNews: Packages appear to be tossed - CTV News
Workers spotted appearing to toss packages into the back on a truck. (Jahna Sangster / MyNews)

Flickr: Joost de Valk (Yoast)'s Photostream

stubReferenceName - CTVNews
... Mobile Contests Olympics CTV.ca Hot Topics Malware Drumming Mountie Lotto Max Search CTV News NEWS VIDEO LOCAL NEWS NEWS PROGRAMS MYNEWS CONNECT ...

CTV Autos - Photo Galleries - Autoshow, Photos, New Cars, Used Cars, Trucks, Vans, Minivans
CTV Autos - Photos - photo galleries, autoshow photos, new and used cars, sports cars and more

Rescue efforts to resume at Elliot Lake mall
CTV Calgary - Canadian television's online home for news about Calgary

CTV British Columbia Weather - Breaking News, BC News, Vancouver, B.C., Sports, Entertainment, Traffic ...
CTV News - BC - Breaking news, local headlines and top stories from BC, Canada and around the world. Sports, Weather, Entertainment, Lottery ...

404 - Requested Page Not Found
CTV News - Edmonton - Breaking news, local headlines and top stories from Edmonton and Alberta, Canada and around the world. Sports, Weather, ...

CTV Kitchener - Home - Breaking News, Kitchener, Cambridge, Waterloo, Guelph, Sports, Entertainment ...
... headlines and top stories from Ontario, Canada and around the world. Sports, Weather, Entertainment, Lottery, ProvinceWide and more. MyNews ...