Networking stuff #2

Usual turmoil.

Have just been connected to Australia's broadband network
so yes. this 'could' be just a local thing however, my nice
former ADSL system ran properly. Most hardware = Win 7x64

- 4 PCs were interoperable on LAN (192.168.1.xxx)
- 1 laptop (Lenovo) on WiFi IP address 192.168.1.X and
    when plugged in via cable, it picked up 192.168.1.Y
- 2 WAP units on LAN to service either the Lenovo or
    a Nexus 7 tablet
- 1 TV set getting Youtube and 1 radio/amp for internet.

Now. Ah now. The local provider (Telstra) has provided
a 'Technicolor TG 797n ' modem. It's a fiend and unresponsive
(slow) on its webpage access (a standard 10.0.0.138).

_Two_ of the standard Win 7 boxes started to converse via an
assigned address of 10.0.0.nnn. Thats good !!!

The Lenovo eventually (I must underscore that word) decided to
discover the radio address in the 10.0.0 subnet but it really,
really persisted on thinking it should be the old 192.168 subnet
for a very long time (2 hrs of frustrating investigation).
Lots of rebooting and renewing seems to have overcome the malady
for the radio side of things but plugging a cable into it and it
insists on checking the 192 sub. Silly.
In fact 1 of the done things was a CAT5 directly from TG modem to
lenovo to ping the modem - Nup.
"Dest host unreachable from 192.168.1.nnn".  Oh Thanks

Ditto seems to happen for the Nexus. Login names are correct
but everything insists on a 192 sub.

Any insights anyone? Dump the crappy modem? Interface is woeful.

PS the TV/radio goes ok though
0
Bazza

Bazza wrote:
> Usual turmoil.
>
> Have just been connected to Australia's broadband network
> so yes. this 'could' be just a local thing however, my nice
> former ADSL system ran properly. Most hardware = Win 7x64
>
> - 4 PCs were interoperable on LAN (192.168.1.xxx)
> - 1 laptop (Lenovo) on WiFi IP address 192.168.1.X and
>      when plugged in via cable, it picked up 192.168.1.Y
> - 2 WAP units on LAN to service either the Lenovo or
>      a Nexus 7 tablet
> - 1 TV set getting Youtube and 1 radio/amp for internet.
>

> Now. Ah now. The local provider (Telstra) has provided
> a 'Technicolor TG 797n ' modem. It's a fiend and unresponsive
> (slow) on its webpage access (a standard 10.0.0.138).
>
> _Two_ of the standard Win 7 boxes started to converse via an
> assigned address of 10.0.0.nnn. Thats good !!!
>
> The Lenovo eventually (I must underscore that word) decided to
> discover the radio address in the 10.0.0 subnet but it really,
> really persisted on thinking it should be the old 192.168 subnet
> for a very long time (2 hrs of frustrating investigation).
> Lots of rebooting and renewing seems to have overcome the malady
> for the radio side of things but plugging a cable into it and it
> insists on checking the 192 sub. Silly.
> In fact 1 of the done things was a CAT5 directly from TG modem to
> lenovo to ping the modem - Nup.
> "Dest host unreachable from 192.168.1.nnn".  Oh Thanks
>

> Ditto seems to happen for the Nexus. Login names are correct
> but everything insists on a 192 sub.
>
> Any insights anyone? Dump the crappy modem? Interface is woeful.
>
> PS the TV/radio goes ok though

Check all the machines for static IP addressing. Make them all DHCP. If you
need to put certain machines at certain addresses ( I do for convenience),
let the router handle it by assigning a fixed IP to the MAC address when it
asks for DHCP.

Also, check your WAP points, they tend to have hard coded IP ranges, you may
need to reset them to 10.x.x.x

AlanD
0
AlanD
2/21/2014 2:05:08 PM
Bazza wrote:

> Now. Ah now. The local provider (Telstra) has provided
> a 'Technicolor TG 797n ' modem. It's a fiend and unresponsive
> (slow) on its webpage access (a standard 10.0.0.138).
.. . .

> The Lenovo eventually (I must underscore that word) decided to
> discover the radio address in the 10.0.0 subnet but it really,
> really persisted on thinking it should be the old 192.168 subnet
> for a very long time (2 hrs of frustrating investigation).
> Lots of rebooting and renewing seems to have overcome the malady
> for the radio side of things but plugging a cable into it and it
> insists on checking the 192 sub. Silly.
> In fact 1 of the done things was a CAT5 directly from TG modem to
> lenovo to ping the modem - Nup.
> "Dest host unreachable from 192.168.1.nnn".  Oh Thanks
>
> Ditto seems to happen for the Nexus. Login names are correct
> but everything insists on a 192 sub.
>
> Any insights anyone? Dump the crappy modem? Interface is woeful.

You may want to simply put your own router between the Telstra modem
and your network.  The router can use the TG797-provided address for
its 'WAN' address, and you can configure it to use 192.168.1.xxx for
your LAN.  Bonus is that you don't have to use the TG797 interface at
all (once you ensure it is appropriately password protected).
0
John
2/21/2014 10:37:49 PM
Bazza <Anon@doublyinvalid.com>, Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:25:24 +1100

>Usual turmoil.
>
>Ditto seems to happen for the Nexus. Login names are correct
>but everything insists on a 192 sub.
>
>Any insights anyone? Dump the crappy modem? Interface is woeful.

Update: (Initial problen).
Appears to be solved - 2nd WAP kept issueing 192 addresses.
It was occasionally on-line while trying to isolate the cause.
Everything seems to have settled down to the 10.0.0.range.

Rant time < ON > . Aussies beware.

- As regards another modem - well, OK. I have just been going through
this NBN thing. You _HAVE_ to go through it. They are insisting on
removing a copper service even though it's still serviceable for
years.

- So,you have a plain old telephone etc, what to do? You ring NBN Co.
NBN Co say its a requirement (by law) that a comm service is available
over the installed fibre service. No worries. Voice can be carried
over fibre for the same minimal cost as being paid for the copper set.

- Fine. Go ahead you tell them. They arrange a ISP of your choice
(Telstra in this case) plus an install "team". The technicians install
an outside wall box terminating the main feed. Meanwhile, inside the
house is a second tech terminating a pass-through fibre to what's
called an NTD unit. Naturally all of this needs a mains power supply
feed for the battery backup (we wouldn't want the digital side to
fail in a power outage and especially an interruption to the voice
telephone circuit now would we?).

- So instead of using 1 of the four digital (Uni-D) outlets and 1 of
the two voice ccts (Uni-V), along comes a second telco man with this
execrable TG797 unit. It connects via UTP, and only by UTP, to the
original NTD wall mounting. User digital feeds are from the TG797
along with the voice circuit. However, and this is where it all falls
in a heap, \/ THE TG797 IS NOT backed up \/. A power interruption
and the kingdom is lost. Worse. If the user turns OFF the TG797 modem
it takes about 90-100 seconds before connections are restored. That,
of course, includes voice so turning it off removes all incoming calls
as well.

- Excellent planning and follow through. And then there's their call
service support. Douglas Adams had it right about the lemon scented
napkins.

Rant time < OFF >
0
Bazza

2 Network Cards #2
Hi, I am trying to use 2 network cards with Sybase V 12 under Windows NT. I have 2 separate network cards / IP addresses and am able to dos ping. Furthermore I can Sybping the backup server from a client PC on both ip addresses using port 5001. However when I configure ASE (under port 5000) using both IP addresses, one will fail. Any ideas. Cheers David The two network cards u have to specify in the sql.ini file. U copy the master and below entries as it is and copy in the same file and change the second entryn with the new network card address. Try Regard...

Viewing 2 Networks on 1 PC #2
Hi, I need to get this box up & running. Can anybody please help. This is how our network is presently configured Net Server -------------------------------------- | PC with 2 Network cards | -------------------------------------- | | Card 1 Card 2 10.0.0.x 192.168.x.x | | HUB to external network | | Internal Network In the Card 2 the deafult gateway has been set to IP of card 1. An evaluatio copy of WinRouter Pro 4.2 is also running. NAT has been enable...

two nics, 2 networks, 2 Default gateways
Hi, New to OpenSuse, but i'm trying to configure my 2 nics to see 2 different networks, and route both those networks. I can't seem to use the GUI to do anything good and it doesn't even seem to take the route command right, or editing any network scripts. anyone have any advice on this? Thanks -- mrose11 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You can't have 2 default gateways. Default means the last choice and there can only be one last choice for routing, by definition. If you know which IP addresses you want t...

2 nic cards - Novell Client
Does anyone know how to configure a workstation, with two network adapters, Windows 2000, to connect to the right tree? One nic has a static IP and no Novell network. The second nic has dhcp on the Novell network. Problem is, on boot up you get the Novell login prompt, but it doesnt see the right network. How do you configure the workstation to use the correct nic, to find the correct tree? If we disable the second nic it works. Unbind the Novell Client from the unwanted NIC by going into Network and Dialup Connections - [Advanced] menu | Advanced Settings | Bindings. ...

Zen Hotpatch 2 fixes some stuff...missing some other stuff
Well, at least the new kernel supports SATA. The AWK command is missing from the �bin� directory of the ROOT imaging file. You can copy it from the old ROOT file, but c�mon what�s the deal? The GREP command doesn�t work properly. For example, you cannot use the options �i� and �o� in the same line, whereas the older kernel�s version didn�t have this defect. I don�t understand the INITRD file. On the 7SP1a, you could crack open the file easily and add drivers. On the Hotpatch 2 version, you must specify a filesystem type. I got it to mount with usbfs, but did not recog...

General network error. Check your network documentation #2
Hi We have a written a error log in Global.asax. which capture below mentioned error in the prodcution server. Same applications is working fine in some locations and some loactions we are getting the error.Any body knows why this error is occurs.Any body knows why this error is occurs. Error Message:General network error. Check your network documentation.Stack Trace: at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OpenAndLogin() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection..ctor(SqlConnection connection, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() a...

SeaMonkey 2.2 #2
I have just re-installed 2.0.14 and it works a treat. Don't mess with wot ain't broke. D. ...

4.2.2.2
Occasionally I will get an alert from ZAF announcing "The firewall has blocked local network access to 4.2.2.2 (DNS) from your computer." The explanation says that ZA has blocked access to Port 53 on a DNS server. Why would ZA block this? As far as I know, it has never requested permission to access this server and I have never denied such permission. I use a Netgear router, and in order to make it work with my system, I was instructed to configure the DNS Configuration of the TCP/IP Properties of my network card and add 4.2.2.2 as one of my DNS Servers. Thanks for you...

Network #2
Hey after suse updated my computer it worked alot better but for some reason my only ethernet network card stopped working. uhm it says theres no network card but yast still shows a configured network card that isn't working. Yast also shows a non configured network card that I can't edit or delete. and ifconfig /all says theres no networks but ifconfig alone shows lo and works fine. ifup says theres no network card I didn't try route or ifdown yet. again yast says theres a configured network card there just as it was. but another one showed up unconfigured and i...

Networking #2
I have had my laptop up and running on the works network for a long time and had no problems then one day all i can access is the internet. The server could not recognise my computer and my computer could not even get in to the workgroup. I took it home and tried it on my home network using a small 10 base hub. I tried both Windows ME and W2K on the same machine (dual boot) and neither of them will connect... it doesnt seem to be a hardware problem as i have tested the network card (3com 10 base T100 PCMCIA card) on another computer and it seems to work perfectly. What could i be doing ...

Any networking here? #2

2 #2
Name: woooooooooolf Product: Firefox Summary: 2 Comments: ПЕЗДАТЫЙ БРАУЗЕР , СУККА! И ПОЧТОВОЙ КЛИЕНТ ПЕЗДАТЫЙ! В томже духе ебаште и мы парабатим ээтот мир , када все будут юзать , мы пашлём им тройан ЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫ Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ru; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080201 Firefox/2.0.0.12 ...

stuff #2
Huynh juju ...

Networking stuff
Strangest thing (perhaps) My local LAN has 4 boxes (one experimental) 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.20 192.168.1.30 **** 192.168.1.40 While having a play with the .30 as admin, I renamed the current account hidden folder "NetHood" to NNethood to see if it could clear up some bad cross-polluted resources. Seems to have been a very bad idea. Pings between machines are OK for IP and machine names. It does recognize that the local workgroup is accessible but refuses to enter it "Message: Not accessible. Contact ...yada ..." Renaming the folder to its original h...

Web resources about - Networking stuff #2 - grc.techtalk

Upstream (networking) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer networking , upstream refers to the direction in which data can be transferred from the client to the server ( uploading ). This ...

Networking - Casting begins for Paul Hogan project
New stars sought, old series renewed, here's the latest in television news and gossip.

Networking Stocks Break Out While Cisco Struggles
Barron's Networking Stocks Break Out While Cisco Struggles Barron's The charts show that smaller players such as Juniper, Infinera and Arris ...

Marvell Slips as FYQ3 Misses on Hard Drive, Enterprise Networking Weakness
Shares of chip maker Marvell Technology Group ( MRVL ) are down 3 cents at $9.21, after the company this morning warned Q3 revenue for the three ...

Jamie Foxx explains the networking tricks he used to launch his Grammy-winning music career
... and a desire to make the most of his two passions. In the latest episode of author and investor Tim Ferriss' podcast , Foxx explains the networking ...

Brocade, Cisco, Juniper leading networking and communication hardware market
Channelnomics Brocade, Cisco, Juniper leading networking and communication hardware market Channelnomics Brocade, Cisco, HP, Huawei, Avaya ...

Brocade, Cisco, HP Named Among Enterprise Networking Leaders
Brocade, Cisco, HP Named Among Enterprise Networking Leaders Channel Partners IHS is out with its 2015 report which breaks down how the top ...

Sources: Presidio To Buy $350M Cisco Networking Powerhouse Netech *
Presidio is expected to make its second acquisition in less than a month by purchasing Netech Corp., a fast-growing networking VAR with SMB and ...

NFL Player's Networking Skills Get Him A Job
Shiloh Keo played for the Texans from 2011 to 2014, which overlapped with Wade Phillips’s time as the team’s defensive coordinator. Phillips ...

Edimax lands networking device orders for production automation
Networking/communication device maker Edimax Technology has obtained orders from US-based clients for about 25,000 wireless networking devices ...