Need to move a file from Win98 to Redhat 6.2 partition-help

I have just installed the latest build of Mozilla 1.1 on both my WIN98SE 
Partition and My Linux Partition (Gentus 3.0, modified version of Redhat 
6.2). I need to copy my bookmarks.html from my Mozilla WIN98SE location 
to my Mozilla Linux location. I can not remember how to move files 
across different OS, can someone give me some clues and maybe show me a 
man page or such with the info and examples of commands to use from 
terminal window, TIA, Kruppt.
0
Kruppt
8/28/2002 5:38:00 PM
grc.techtalk 27358 articles. 1 followers. Follow

7 Replies
325 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 3

Kruppt <Krupptus@myrealbox.com> wrote in
news:akj1o5$1oc7$1@news.grc.com: 

> I have just installed the latest build of Mozilla 1.1 on both my
> WIN98SE Partition and My Linux Partition (Gentus 3.0, modified version
> of Redhat 6.2). I need to copy my bookmarks.html from my Mozilla
> WIN98SE location to my Mozilla Linux location. I can not remember how
> to move files across different OS, can someone give me some clues and
> maybe show me a man page or such with the info and examples of
> commands to use from terminal window, TIA, Kruppt.
> 
> 

How about an Xwindow such as KDE or Gnome?  Should be able to drag and
drop! 

-- 
Have a Good Day, 'cause it beats having a Bad Day!

Tim
0
Tim
8/28/2002 6:57:00 PM
I guess he could use MC too! :)

Like the good old days when we use to use Norton Commander! :)

If not, well, the cp command will work.

"Tim Daniel" <MEtmdaniel@THERE.nc.rr.com> escribi� en el mensaje >
> How about an Xwindow such as KDE or Gnome?  Should be able to drag and
> drop!
>
> --
> Have a Good Day, 'cause it beats having a Bad Day!
>
> Tim
0
Lord_Zoo
8/28/2002 7:21:00 PM
How about e-mail it as an attachment to yourself from a Win app and receive
it with a Linux app? Any removable media drives accessible to both - floppy,
CDROM or Zip drive? Otherwise see these links...

http://sunsite.dk/linux-newbie/lnag_drives.html#mount_floppy_zipdrive
http://sunsite.dk/linux-newbie/lnag_drives.html#mtools
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/Filesystems/Mounting_NTFS_Filesystems.html
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/Filesystems/Mounting_Your_Zip_Drive.html
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/Filesystems/Filesystems_Directories_and_Devic
es.html

If worst comes to worst, the second best discussion groups (saecond to grc)
are the Linux groups at...

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/forum/index.php

Optiker

"Kruppt" <Krupptus@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:akj1o5$1oc7$1@news.grc.com...
> I have just installed the latest build of Mozilla 1.1 on both my WIN98SE
> Partition and My Linux Partition (Gentus 3.0, modified version of Redhat
> 6.2). I need to copy my bookmarks.html from my Mozilla WIN98SE location
> to my Mozilla Linux location. I can not remember how to move files
> across different OS, can someone give me some clues and maybe show me a
> man page or such with the info and examples of commands to use from
> terminal window, TIA, Kruppt.
>
0
Optiker
8/28/2002 8:53:00 PM
Best solution is to mount the Win98 partition in Linux, then you have access
to all your Windows files.
I don't think it can be done in reverse, unless some Linux guru has written
a utility for Windows to read Linux partitions.

Place following line in /etc/fstab (with <dos partition> appropriately
edited - say hdb0 - without the <>):
/dev/<dos partition> /mnt/windoze msdos defaults 0 0
then:
mount /mnt/windoze or;
mount /dev/<dos partition>

If you leave it in fstab, then it will mount automatically whenever you boot
linux.

Kruppt <Krupptus@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:akj1o5$1oc7$1@news.grc.com...
> I have just installed the latest build of Mozilla 1.1 on both my WIN98SE
> Partition and My Linux Partition (Gentus 3.0, modified version of Redhat
> 6.2). I need to copy my bookmarks.html from my Mozilla WIN98SE location
> to my Mozilla Linux location. I can not remember how to move files
> across different OS, can someone give me some clues and maybe show me a
> man page or such with the info and examples of commands to use from
> terminal window, TIA, Kruppt.
>
0
Kajayr
8/29/2002 1:43:00 AM
My apologies, you also need to:
mkdir /mnt/windoze

Kajayr <jay@kajayr.com.au> wrote in message
news:akjuaa$2r1t$1@news.grc.com...
> Best solution is to mount the Win98 partition in Linux, then you have
access
> to all your Windows files.
> I don't think it can be done in reverse, unless some Linux guru has
written
> a utility for Windows to read Linux partitions.
>
> Place following line in /etc/fstab (with <dos partition> appropriately
> edited - say hdb0 - without the <>):
> /dev/<dos partition> /mnt/windoze msdos defaults 0 0
> then:
> mount /mnt/windoze or;
> mount /dev/<dos partition>
>
> If you leave it in fstab, then it will mount automatically whenever you
boot
> linux.
>
0
Kajayr
8/29/2002 1:49:00 AM
"Optiker" <optiker.crb@pnl.gov> wrote in
news:akjd8r$27f6$1@news.grc.com: 

> How about e-mail it as an attachment to yourself from a Win app and
> receive it with a Linux app? Any removable media drives accessible to
> both - floppy, CDROM or Zip drive? Otherwise see these links...
<SNIPED FOR BREVITY>
> Optiker

Thanks, had to laugh, emailing it from WIN98SE then downloading the file 
via Linux emailer, slick, I should have thought of it myself. Funny how 
sometimes the obvious and simple just escapes the mind :).
Thanks for posting the links also.
Kruppt
0
Kruppt
8/29/2002 4:10:00 AM
"Kajayr" <jay@kajayr.com.au> wrote in news:akjuaa$2r1t$1@news.grc.com:

> Place following line in /etc/fstab (with <dos partition> appropriately
> edited - say hdb0 - without the <>):
> /dev/<dos partition> /mnt/windoze msdos defaults 0 0
> then:
> mount /mnt/windoze or;
> mount /dev/<dos partition>
> 
> If you leave it in fstab, then it will mount automatically whenever
> you boot linux.
> 
> 

Thanks for posting, this was the method I was trying to remember.
Kruppt
0
Kruppt
8/29/2002 4:13:00 AM
Reply: