Multiple IP Addresses

Windows XP SP2:
How do I assign more than one IP address to a single NIC?

Torrance
0
Torrance

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:20:51 -0600, Torrance Bell
<starlite528@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Windows XP SP2:
>How do I assign more than one IP address to a single NIC?

Same as in Windows 2000.  Set 1 static IP.  After that, add as many
more as you like in the ADVANCED section.

AFAIK, you cannot add a second IP (at least not as easily) if the
first one is auto (DHCP).

HTH,
Bill
--
Expert Opinions $5   I Shut-Up $10
0
In grc.techtalk, on Wed, 6 Feb 2008 19:20:51, Torrance Bell wrote:

>Windows XP SP2:
>How do I assign more than one IP address to a single NIC?

You can easily add Alternate ones.  Properties/TCP-IP/Advanced.  Plus
different Gateway/DNS etc, but I always use trusty Treewalk for DNS (but
waiting for IPv6 capability).

The easiest way is to leave "Obtain an IP address automatically" ticked,
and add stuff into the alternative bits which kick in when DHCP isn't
offered by the router (none of mine do!).  I do something a bit more
complicated, and I'm not sure I could explain it or reproduce it, it
evolved...

Wireless is often easier (read more usable), as you should be able to
offer a different alternative IP for each potential connection.

Others must know WAY more than me on this, I may be pissing in the wind,
but in the land of the blind...

--
Jim Crowther
0
> In grc.techtalk, on Wed, 6 Feb 2008 19:20:51, Torrance Bell wrote:
>
>>Windows XP SP2:
>>How do I assign more than one IP address to a single NIC?
>
> You can easily add Alternate ones.  Properties/TCP-IP/Advanced.
> Plus different Gateway/DNS etc, but I always use trusty Treewalk for
> DNS (but waiting for IPv6 capability).
>
> The easiest way is to leave "Obtain an IP address automatically"
> ticked, and add stuff into the alternative bits which kick in when
> DHCP isn't offered by the router (none of mine do!).  I do something
> a bit more complicated, and I'm not sure I could explain it or
> reproduce it, it evolved...
>
> Wireless is often easier (read more usable), as you should be able
> to offer a different alternative IP for each potential connection.
>
> Others must know WAY more than me on this, I may be pissing in the
> wind, but in the land of the blind...
>
> --
> Jim Crowther

Just an aside really, but reading your post I had a look in TCP/IP
properties for the first time in ages and I spotted the following
(WinXP Pro SP2):

Advanced TCP/IP Settings - Options - TCP/IP Filtering - Properties

Looks like a basic (very basic!) firewall that might have been in
there since the days of Win95 for all I know!

Alab.

My unmunged email is:  1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com (valid for 30 days
min).  The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
Alan
2/7/2008 2:32:40 AM

> You can easily add Alternate ones.  Properties/TCP-IP/Advanced.  Plus
> different Gateway/DNS etc, but I always use trusty Treewalk for DNS (but
> waiting for IPv6 capability).
>
> The easiest way is to leave "Obtain an IP address automatically" ticked,
> and add stuff into the alternative bits which kick in when DHCP isn't
> offered by the router (none of mine do!).  I do something a bit more
> complicated, and I'm not sure I could explain it or reproduce it, it
> evolved...

I want to add another IP address to use *simultaneously* .

Torrance
0
Torrance
2/7/2008 6:55:45 AM
In Steve Gibson's grc.techtalk - Torrance Bell wrote:

>> You can easily add Alternate ones.  Properties/TCP-IP/Advanced.
>> Plus different Gateway/DNS etc, but I always use trusty Treewalk
>> for DNS (but waiting for IPv6 capability).
>>
>> The easiest way is to leave "Obtain an IP address automatically"
>> ticked, and add stuff into the alternative bits which kick in
>> when DHCP isn't offered by the router (none of mine do!).  I do
>> something a bit more complicated, and I'm not sure I could
>> explain it or reproduce it, it evolved...
>>

> I want to add another IP address to use *simultaneously* .

Set the General tab to a static IP address.
Then in the Advanced > IP Settings Add more IPs.
Addtional IPs need to be on the same subnet, blah, blah, etc...

$ ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localhost.localdomain
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

$ ping -n 1 10.0.0.30

Pinging 10.0.0.30 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.0.30: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.30:

$ ping -n 1 172.16.2.30

Pinging 172.16.2.30 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 172.16.2.30: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 172.16.2.30:

$
--
            url=http://guysalias.fateback.com/pgpkeys.txt
0
"Alan" <alan@alan.alan> wrote in message news:fodqkc$g0c$1@news.grc.com...

> Just an aside really, but reading your post I had a look in TCP/IP
> properties for the first time in ages and I spotted the following
> (WinXP Pro SP2):
>
> Advanced TCP/IP Settings - Options - TCP/IP Filtering - Properties

Some readers here brought this up early on (2002?) as a replacement for a
software firewall.  (It was not available in Win9x.)

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~mchugha/w2kfirewall.htm

--
Robert

0
Robert
2/7/2008 3:00:13 PM
I guess it won't work when one of the addresses is DHCP?

Torrance
0
Torrance

Bind EAServer to a given IP address on server with multiple IPs
Hello, The systems guy at my client has set up a new W2K3 server. He has assigned multiple IP addresses to this machine. He wants Jaguar to listen on port 80 on a single specific IP address, but not the others. Can/How do I accomplish this with EAS 5.3 ? Is it as simple as setting the listener.hostname to be the IP rather than ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME} ? Thanks, D yep. -- Dean Jones CEO PowerObjects http://www.powerobjects.com (612) 339-3355 Ext. 112 TeamSybase * * Think Sybase * * "Daniel Coppersmith" <coppersmith2002_A_T_hotmail_D_O_T_N0SPA...

Problem the IP address showing is NOT my IP address I am at.
host217-35-99-250.in-addr.btopenworld.com or 217.35.99.250 is someone else's IP address, not my IP address (12.98.80.XXX a Dynamic IP address range) when I test my ports with the NanoProbe system. In message <b6i8f8$tp1$1@news.grc.com>, abcministoragellc <abcministoragellc@netzero.net> kicked in with > >host217-35-99-250.in-addr.btopenworld.com >or 217.35.99.250 >is someone else's IP address, not my IP address (12.98.80.XXX a Dynamic >IP address range) >when I test my ports with the NanoProbe system. Had the same here, a couple of minute...

multiple IP addresses
Newbie question: I ran Steve's port check yesterday and it found two IP addresses on my machine, one in with all ports in stealth and one with all closed. Today there are three addresses: two in stealth and the same one closed. Any comments? (running WIN98+; Zone Alarm freeware; Finjan Surfinguard; Norton Systemworks; Limeware uninstalled) Tritone Exactly what IPs are you seeing? -Andy (CEO, Dynamic Bits) http://dynamicbits.com "tritone" <tritone@hushmail.com> wrote in message news:a43v3d$u8q$1@news.grc.com... > Newbie question...

multiple ip addresses
netware 6.5 sp3 cluster 2 nodes i need to add a secondary ip address for clients accessing via what we will call a strange route multi homing the server is ok but is it possible to add a secondary ip address to the virtual server that represents the volume Terry, Yes, just add the extra commands to the volume resource load/unload scripts. Add secondary ipaddres= Del secondary ipaddress= Keep in mind though that all sec ip addresses must be in the same subnet. -- Peter vd Woude --------- Novell Support Forums SysOp --------- > netware 6.5 sp3 cluster 2 nodes &...

Multiple IP addresses
Question: I have a server with two NICs -> 2 IP addresses. Now when I log on to the network as user1, and I ping the server, I always get response from IP address 1. When I log on as user2, I always get a reply from IP address 2. Can anyone tell me if this is a (strange) coincidence, or is this normal behaviour?!? BTW: user1 and user2 are in different contexts. user1 has admin rights, user2 has normal user rights. I tested this on several PCs on my network, but always get the same results as described above. (user1 -> IP address 1, user2 -> IP address 2) If it is norm...

What is Ip address if network card has more than one ip address assigned
Okay, I have a machine running sqlanywhere server, I have several ip addresses bound to the network card. if I am going to use a client on another computer, what ip address is sqlanywhere server bound to? Regards, Andy Pick one! Then when you configure the db server us it: -x TCPIP{MYIP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx} -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com Houston, TX *********************************************************** Enterprise Applications in Your Future? JumpStart '99 Ent...

Multiple DHCP IP addresses?
W2K+SP4 Is it possible to have multiple DHCP supplied IP addresses on the same NIC? Regards, Dave. In grc.techtalk David Brown wrote: > W2K+SP4 > > Is it possible to have multiple DHCP supplied IP addresses on the > same NIC? Not at the same time. On 2004-07-09, Mark V <notvalid@nul.invalid> wrote: > In grc.techtalk David Brown wrote: > >> W2K+SP4 >> >> Is it possible to have multiple DHCP supplied IP addresses on the >> same NIC? > > Not at the same time. Unless you control the DHCP server ... then you ca...

Multiple IP addresses on Server
We are in the process of switching all of our client PC's over to a different subnet mask for IP addresses. I would like our Sybase server to be able to communicate with client PC's with either of our subnet masks since this process will take up to a week to complete. However, after adding an additional IP address to our NT server, the only PC's that can communicate are those with the same subnet mask as the primary IP address on the server. The other clients can ping the NT server, but not the Sybase server (sybping). Can't Sybase handle this or am I doing somethin...

Pinging Multiple IP Addresses
Our vido surveillance system encoders and software are installed as a pilot on a large Novell network. The encoders have fixed IPs and transmit video to our applications running on client PCs on the network. The client PCs can recieve video streams from multiple encoders simultaneously. The network server is running Novell Netware 6.5 SP2, the clients are running 5.1 SP2 on the Win2000 machines and 4.9 SP1A on the XP machines. The clients within the network are only able to access one encoder at a time. We know that multicasting is working over the network, because our laptop PC...

POA shows old ip address for client/server ip address
i just upgraded groupwise from 5.5 to 6.5 Clients cannot access via tcp/ip even though its setup with the correct ip address in console one. when looking at the poa log file at the server, it gives the old server ip address instead of the current ip address. I cannot find that old ip address in any settings, or is there another problem that is keeping me from accessing via the client using tcp/ip. Hi, Have you checked the POA startup file? Settings in there for the ipaddress and port override anything put into consoleone. Cheers, Steve <bfish@emily.ne...

Changing to NAT using Private IP address What to do with OLd IP addresses
I have a client that is setting up NAT and using private addresses for the internal network. If we add new IP addresses to DCHP, do we delete the old addresses or is there a way to specify which set of Ip addresses for DHCP to hand out? Also, is there a way to just edit the present addresses? We looked and we are not able to see a way to edit the addreses. Thanks in advance for your help and advice. PLW In article <KVn8c.8445$jb5.1118@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, wrote: > If we add new IP addresses to DCHP, do we delete the > old addresses or is there a wa...

multiple domains under same dns ip address
Is there a way in Netware 6 DNS that will allow 2 separate domains to be linked to 1 ip address? i.e. www.abc.com and www.xyz.com would have the same ip address and the web user would be shown the exact same page for both domains. Thanks John --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable sure. DNS doesn't care you will have to have the 2 zones, then just create an A record for both = zones with the host of www, IP address of x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the IP = address holding the web...

Users listing multiple IP addresses
I'll start here and if this is the wrong place, someone please redirect me. Thanks! Running Netware 6.5 sp8 with eDirectory 8.7.3.10 I am testing the Sophos Web Appliance. It is a proxy filtering device which makes LDAP queries to find out which user is assigned to which IP address so it can log web traffic. Most of my users are showing up correctly in the logs, but some of them only show up as IP addresses. I look in ConsoleOne at a user who does not show up in the web appliance. On the General, Environment tab, under Network address, these users will have two IP addresse...

Multiple IP Address Range Assignments
Hello; I want to be able to give out IP addresses via DHCP for 2 different IP subnets on 1 server. Ex. 192.168.10.100 - 192.168.10.200 Gateway 192.168.10.1 192.168.18.100 - 192.168.18.200 Gateway 192.168.18.1 Is this possible? If so, where do you configure Client32 to tell the PC which subnet address range to grab? Thanks. "R. Manske" wrote: > I want to be able to give out IP addresses via DHCP for 2 different IP > subnets on 1 server. > > Ex. 192.168.10.100 - 192.168.10.200 Gateway 192.168.10.1 &...

Web resources about - Multiple IP Addresses - grc.techtalk

Postal addresses in the Republic of Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ireland is one of the few countries in the world, and the only EU country, that does not have a Postal code system. As of 2012, the Irish Government ...

How To: (Possibly) Restore Your Contacts After The Switch To Facebook.com Email Addresses
Still having issues with lost contacts following Facebook’s recent controversial move to make Facebook.com email addresses the default emails ...

Facebook Users Can Now Opt Into Letting Friends Export Their Email Addresses via Download Your Information ...
Previously, Facebook's Download Your Information tool let users export an archive of their status updates, photos, as well as a list of friends' ...

IPCC Chair Addresses Summit on Climate Change - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rajendra Pachauri, Chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), addresses the opening plenary session of the Summit on Climate ...

Steve Jobs addresses Cupertino City Council - YouTube
Steve Jobs addresses Cupertino City Council

Fusion Boss Addresses Rumors That Disney/ABC Wants Out
CNBC reported last week that ABC parent company Disney is looking to exit its joint-venture with Univision over their ownership of Fusion. The ...

Facing #WhitePeopleProblems Head On, FDA Addresses Tanning Salons And Children
I was just informed that white people let their kids sit in tanning beds? That can’t be true, can it? Why would you let your 15-year-old eat ...

Ted Cruz Addresses Cisco
Big Country Homepage Ted Cruz Addresses Cisco Big Country Homepage Copyright 2015 Cable News Network/Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All ...

Sami Zayn Addresses NXT London Crowd Following Return - Bleacher Report
Sami Zayn made his official return to NXT following Wednesday's NXT TakeOver: London show at Wembley Arena, and the popular Superstar had plenty ...