Microsoft to Release Windows XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N in Europe

REDMOND, Wash. - June 8, 2005 - Microsoft Corp. today announced the
timetable for availability of Windows� XP Home Edition N and Windows XP
Professional N, the two versions of the Windows operating system created as
part of the company's compliance with the European Commission's decision of
March 2004. Originally released to computer makers in January 2005, the
latest versions of the XP operating systems without Windows Media Player
follow further clarifications from the European Commission. These products
will be made available to computer manufacturers on June 15 in English,
French, German, Italian and Spanish, and will be available to other
distribution channels, including the retail and volume licensing channels,
on July 1. The remaining language versions - Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish,
Greek, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese and Swedish - will be
available to computer makers on July 1 and to other distribution channels on
July 15. As is the case with existing versions of Windows, computer makers
and end users can install other media players with the software. Microsoft
provided CDs with both products to the European Commission early last week.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jun05/06-08XPNEuropePR.mspx

-- 
Regard: Joh@nnes �  :-))
"If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle"


0
Johannes
6/9/2005 1:38:22 AM
grc.techtalk 27358 articles. 1 followers. Follow

12 Replies
732 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 21

Johannes Niebach wrote:
 As is the case with existing versions of
> Windows, computer makers and end users can install other media
> players with the software.

So nothing changes here, ome can still install WinAmp or whatever, or even 
Windows Media Player. I also read the pricing wiill be the same for this 
'light' version. The choice in the shops is Windows with or without WMP, for 
the same money. And in both cases you can choose whatever media player you 
like....

In other words: The same, for the same money. What a waste of EU money.....

BRM 


0
Bicycle
6/11/2005 10:59:30 AM
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:59:30 +0200, Bicycle Repair Man wrote:

> So nothing changes here, ome can still install WinAmp or whatever, or even 
> Windows Media Player. I also read the pricing wiill be the same for this 
> 'light' version. The choice in the shops is Windows with or without WMP, for 
> the same money. And in both cases you can choose whatever media player you 
> like....
> 
> In other words: The same, for the same money. What a waste of EU money.....

I understood that the complaints which set this whole thing in motion
came from companies selling rivals to Windows Media Player, ie companies
such as Real. I don't think they will be impressed by this 'solution',
so I doubt the situation is resolved yet.
AFAICT the competition commission has to investigate complaints, and act
if it considers the complaint to be justified. This is not a 'European'
thing, as it seems several US software vendors are using EU regulations
to  challenge Microsoft in EU markets. (As they are entitled to do).
Is everyone certain that this story is entirely accurate ? Microsoft are
really going to call it 'N', and sell it for the same price as the
version with WMP ? It seems very unlikely to me.

-- 
A Bad Tempered Scotsman
0
A
6/11/2005 11:45:56 AM
A Bad Tempered Scotsman wrote:

> Is everyone certain that this story is entirely accurate ? Microsoft
> are really going to call it 'N', and sell it for the same price as the
> version with WMP ? It seems very unlikely to me.

Priicing the same as regular versions: see 
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/legal/eudecision/faq.asp
Naming : see the Dutch Microsoft page on this:
http://www.microsoft.com/netherlands/windowsxp/home/n/default.aspx

cheers,

BRM



0
Bicycle
6/11/2005 12:44:53 PM
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:44:53 +0200, Bicycle Repair Man wrote:

> A Bad Tempered Scotsman wrote:
> 
>> Is everyone certain that this story is entirely accurate ? Microsoft
>> are really going to call it 'N', and sell it for the same price as the
>> version with WMP ? It seems very unlikely to me.
> 
> Priicing the same as regular versions: see 
> http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/legal/eudecision/faq.asp
> Naming : see the Dutch Microsoft page on this:
> http://www.microsoft.com/netherlands/windowsxp/home/n/default.aspx
> 

Thanks for those links. I had missed the point that MS were allowed to
sell at the same price. What a truly weird decision.
So, who will buy XP Home Edition N ? And why ?
-- 
A Bad Tempered Scotsman
'Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most'.
0
A
6/11/2005 12:55:50 PM
Wandering aimlessly about grc.techtalk, I heard A Bad Tempered Scotsman
say:

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:44:53 +0200, Bicycle Repair Man wrote:
> 
>> A Bad Tempered Scotsman wrote:
>> 
>>> Is everyone certain that this story is entirely accurate ? Microsoft
>>> are really going to call it 'N', and sell it for the same price as the
>>> version with WMP ? It seems very unlikely to me.
>> 
>> Priicing the same as regular versions: see 
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/legal/eudecision/faq.asp
>> Naming : see the Dutch Microsoft page on this:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/netherlands/windowsxp/home/n/default.aspx
> 
> Thanks for those links. I had missed the point that MS were allowed to
> sell at the same price. What a truly weird decision.
> So, who will buy XP Home Edition N ? And why ?

How much extra does MS charge to *include* WMP? As MS mentions in their
FAQ, "It is noteworthy that media players are generally made available
for free via Web downloads." 

I suppose, those who see WMP as an intrusive tool of the DRM crowd might
be prospects for the 'N' version...

-- 
Dutch

GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets
http://www.grc.com/groups/techtalk:124863
0
Dutch
6/11/2005 1:26:59 PM
A Bad Tempered Scotsman wrote:

> So, who will buy XP Home Edition N ? And why ?

Presumably everyone within the EU 'orbit', because the original version 
will become unavailable for sale within the EU without risk of penalty 
to Microsoft?
Thats just a guess, and I can't find anything in black and white to back 
it up. But surely that must be the reasoning?

Just my thoughts...........

-- 
Tony.P

0
Tony
6/11/2005 7:24:18 PM
Wandering aimlessly about grc.techtalk, I heard Tony.P say:

> A Bad Tempered Scotsman wrote:
> 
>> So, who will buy XP Home Edition N ? And why ?
> 
> Presumably everyone within the EU 'orbit', because the original version 
> will become unavailable for sale within the EU without risk of penalty 
> to Microsoft?
> Thats just a guess, and I can't find anything in black and white to back 
> it up. But surely that must be the reasoning?
> 
> Just my thoughts...........

Q: What are these new versions of Windows and how are they different
from Windows XP?

A: [...]The regular versions of Windows XP Home Edition and Professional
will continue to include Windows Media Player and will remain available
to European consumers.

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/legal/eudecision/faq.asp

-- 
Dutch

GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets
http://www.grc.com/groups/techtalk:124863
0
Dutch
6/11/2005 7:32:00 PM
Dutch wrote:

(Snip)
> Q: What are these new versions of Windows and how are they different
> from Windows XP?
> 
> A: [...]The regular versions of Windows XP Home Edition and Professional
> will continue to include Windows Media Player and will remain available
> to European consumers.
> 
> http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/legal/eudecision/faq.asp
> 


Oops!.  Thanks Dutch. How on earth did I miss that?
Maybe the Commission is relying on computer manufacturers using it for 
pre-installed versions. Note this clause from the same document:

"Note that computer manufacturers may pre-install third party media 
players on computers running these new versions of Windows XP."

-- 
Tony.P
0
Tony
6/11/2005 7:47:56 PM
Tony.P writes:

> "Note that computer manufacturers may pre-install third party media 
> players on computers running these new versions of Windows XP."

Also from that article: "European consumers may also separately install
media players, either from Microsoft or a third party."

What's going to happen the first time a "WinXP N" computer owner visits
Windows Update? WMP 10 will be shoved in their face and if they accept
it, they'll have gone full-circle right back where it all began. This
whole episode seems like so much sabre-rattling and muscle-flexing on
the part of the EU. They get a huge wad of cash from Microsoft without
really changing much of consequence and many if not most European users
will wind up right where they would have been as if none had happened.

Microsoft wins another one... an expensive win, but a win nonetheless.
0
Dennis
6/11/2005 8:20:19 PM
Wandering aimlessly about grc.techtalk, I heard Dennis Henderson say:

> Tony.P writes:
> 
>> "Note that computer manufacturers may pre-install third party media 
>> players on computers running these new versions of Windows XP."
> 
> Also from that article: "European consumers may also separately install
> media players, either from Microsoft or a third party."
> 
> What's going to happen the first time a "WinXP N" computer owner visits
> Windows Update? WMP 10 will be shoved in their face and if they accept
> it, they'll have gone full-circle right back where it all began. This
> whole episode seems like so much sabre-rattling and muscle-flexing on
> the part of the EU. They get a huge wad of cash from Microsoft without
> really changing much of consequence and many if not most European users
> will wind up right where they would have been as if none had happened.

I have to disagree with the "shoved in their face" characterization,
Dennis. As far as I know, visiting Windows Update is still a voluntary
action on the user's part, and WMP updates aren't normally listed as
"critical", so even more steps are required by the user to download
them. If they still do it after all that, so be it. 
 
> Microsoft wins another one... an expensive win, but a win nonetheless.

"If all it takes to fix it is money, it's not a problem, just an
expense." (Donald Trump, I think...)

-- 
Dutch

GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets
http://www.grc.com/groups/techtalk:124863
0
Dutch
6/11/2005 8:43:56 PM
>I have to disagree with the "shoved in their face" characterization,
>Dennis. As far as I know, visiting Windows Update is still a voluntary
>action on the user's part, and WMP updates aren't normally listed as
>"critical", so even more steps are required by the user to download
>them. If they still do it after all that, so be it.

Right you are. I am still running WMP 6.4, and the only time WMP-later is
"shoved in my face" is when I visit a (non Microsoft) site that requires WMP 7,8
or 9 to run some doodad. WMP 9 is available as an optional update on Windows
Update site, along witha bunch of other stuff that I don't want, but it is fully
optional.

As I see it, it is a matter of principle. The EU is against monopolies. Unless
they are European, of course.
-- 
Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
E-Mail: http://lists.gpick.com/crashsite/email.htm
http://lists.gpick.com


0
Crash
6/12/2005 2:19:43 PM
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:19:43 -0400, "Crash" Dummy wrote:

>>I have to disagree with the "shoved in their face" characterization,
>>Dennis. As far as I know, visiting Windows Update is still a voluntary
>>action on the user's part, and WMP updates aren't normally listed as
>>"critical", so even more steps are required by the user to download
>>them. If they still do it after all that, so be it.
> 
> Right you are. I am still running WMP 6.4, and the only time WMP-later is
> "shoved in my face" is when I visit a (non Microsoft) site that requires WMP 7,8
> or 9 to run some doodad. WMP 9 is available as an optional update on Windows
> Update site, along witha bunch of other stuff that I don't want, but it is fully
> optional.
> 
> As I see it, it is a matter of principle. The EU is against monopolies. Unless
> they are European, of course.

This wasn't the EU, it was the EC. And I don't think there were any
European manufacturers complaining (because there aren't any AFAIK).
This is not a parochial or political issue, it's a competition issue. 
And getting a bit OT so I will stop right here.
-- 
A Bad Tempered Scotsman
0
A
6/12/2005 2:57:07 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

The ASP.net 2.0 web application made by Chinese Windows XP + English Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition can't run under English edition windows XP ?
ASP.net 2.0 web application made by Chinese Windows XP + English Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition can't run under English edition windows XP ? I made a ASP.net 2.0 web application under Chinese edition Windows XP + English edition Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition You can download it at http://www.hothelpdesk.com/Online/Download/HotHelpDeskV1.00Build7.zip A guest me that he met the following error Attempt to access the method failed An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the ori...

Problem with SmtpMail with Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Microsoft Windows XP Professional
have this problem when use the Imports System.Web.Mail  If CStr("Microsoft Windows XP Professional").Equals(Session("SO")) Then                     Dim objectEmail As New MailMessage()                                         objectEmail.From = from.text                  ...

Error message indicates that a file on the Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is required to continue the upgrade to Windows XP Professional SP2
followup to grc.techtalk Error message indicates that a file on the Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is required to continue the upgrade to Windows XP Professional SP2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894726 ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Article ID : 894726 Last Review : March 2, 2005 Revision : 2. SYMPTOMS When you try to upgrade your computer from Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2) to Windows XP Professional SP2, you receive an e...

Windows XP Home Edition and Professional Reviewed.
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp.asp -- Regard: Joh@nnes� 1216771 Ont.Inc. "Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error" ...

IBM OEM Microsoft Windows XP And Windows XP SP1 Default Administration Account Vulnerability
IBM OEM Microsoft Windows XP And Windows XP SP1 are both reported to contain a default passwordless administrative account. Reportedly, during the installation process of IBMs OEM version of Windows XP and Windows XP SP1, the process automatically creates an administrator account and fails to set a password for it. The user is not made aware of the account during installation. Users installing this version of Microsoft Windows may fail to properly secure this account, allowing for local attackers to gain administrative privileges. Network access to accounts without passwords ...

VPN & Windows ME & Windows XP Home edition
I suspect this is an old one but on dial up I was able to log in, not only using LAN VPN but also could complete a second stage and full login using a Novell Client 3.32 sp1 for ME and 4.90 sp 2/3 for XP Home edition. On ADSL I cannot log into the server using these Clients. (If I do succeed it is painfully slow and more often than not fails altogether). I can succesfully log into the system via LAN VPN and collect GroupWise Mail but if I want to download files or otherwise use some of the programs on the server I cannot. (We need to access an accounts program as one of the u...

Microsoft releases bizarre update for N editions of XP
Everyone except the EU suspected that Windows XP Home N and Windows XP Professional N editions were a bad idea from the start. Nevertheless, Microsoft still needs to keep its products updated, even the worthless ones. Last week Redmond released a rather bizarre update for the N (no media player) editions of XP: Different software programs and Web sites rely on some Windows files that are not included in Windows XP Home Edition N or in Windows XP Professional N. This update makes sure that these software programs and Web sites work correctly. http://arstechnica.com/j...

Windows XP Home Edition and Microsoft Express products
Hi, If a PC has Microsoft Windows Home Edition installed on it as the OS, can it : (1) Support dot net framework 3.5. (2) Run all Microsoft express products such as Visual Web Developer, VS 2008 etc... Is there available a free express Blend product? Regards,Sandyhttp://www.thequinn.infohttp://www.sksdataservices.comhttp://www.infobasket.info (1) Yes (2) Yes (Un-numbered) No. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
followup to grc.techtalk Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=21d930dd-8160-4e43-95d2-f5c3a9037e68&displaylang=en ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Quick Info File Name: BookOfX64.doc Download Size: 146 KB Date Published: 2/25/2005 Version: 1.0 Overview You will find the experience of using Windows XP Professional x64 Edition to be nearly the same as using 32-bit Windows, but with improve...

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2c Release
"No this is not some kind of rollup fix pack release, SP2c to Resolve Shortage of Windows XP Product Keys. Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2c has released to manufacturing and will be available to system builders in September 2007. [ ] There are no other features or fixes included in this service pack; it will only allow for the inclusion of additional product keys."... <http://bink.nu/Article10747.bink> -- js http://justheadlines.awardspace.com ...

Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition - English http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=21d930dd-8160-4e43-95d2-f5c3a9037e68&displaylang=en ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Overview This document provides information regarding features that differ in functionality from Windows XP SP2. It is important to note that this document uses the Windows XP SP2 feature set as the baseline for comparison with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. ...

cannot enable to DISABLE CAD (Ctrl+Alt+Del) functionality in Windows XP Home Edition and XP Pro
I cannot make it work by creating a registry key as below in attempt to remove the functionality of the combination keys of Ctrl+Alt+Del in WinXP Home Edition and XP Pro. where HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, add the DWORD DisableCAD and set the value to 0 or 1 I need to remove user's ability to press the 3-combinations key in desktop so that the Windows Security dialog box will not be displayed. Any one can help. Any one can successfully make it work. Regards Wai Chu --____NJBYBFHGTWBHSSBHCTFI____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=...

Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003
followup to grc.security.software Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894269/EN-US/ ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Article ID : 894269 Last Review : February 25, 2005 Revision : 1.0 SYMPTOMS On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft Windo...

Microsoft Announces Extended Support for Windows XP Home & Media Center Edition
*QUOTE* The Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy standardizes Microsoft� product support policies for business and developer products as well as for consumer, hardware, multimedia and Microsoft DynamicsT products. http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/jan07/01-24ExtendedSupportWindowsMA.mspx via http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=37534 *UNQUOTE* Alan ...

Web resources about - Microsoft to Release Windows XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N in Europe - grc.techtalk

Professional - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In narrow usage, not all expertise is considered a profession. Although sometimes referred to as professions, occupations such as skilled construction ...

Professional lawn decorators light homes for the holidays, for a price
A company in Windsor, Ont., is helping some people have a front yard to rival Clark W. Griswold's without any of the work.

Bloomberg Professional updates for iPad Pro with Split View, Picture-in-Picture, Apple Pencil annotation ...
Bloomberg has updated its Bloomberg Professional app for iOS with new iOS 9 optimizations including Split Screen mode and Picture-in-Picture ...

Facebook Best Professional Services: A Stealth Shot at Yelp, Angie’s List?
Facebook is quietly testing a Best Professional Services page that taps reviews and ratings by users of the social network. The potential alternative ...

Turn any iPad Pro into a professional graphics tablet with the updated Astropad
While you might not have heard of Astropad , its premise is simple. Instead of needing an expensive, dedicated graphics tablet, users can simply ...

With Trumpism mainstream where do professional right wing haters have to go?
With Trumpism mainstream where do professional right wing haters have to go? by digby I wrote about the latest wingnut dilemma for Salon today: ...

This Australian anti-weed 'stoner sloth' ad is being criticized by viewers and medical professionals ...
An ad campaign from Australia's NSW government that depicts teenage marijuana users as sloths unable to perform everyday tasks has been criticized ...

Ben Affleck has been 'very professional' with Sienna Miller
Actor Ben Affleck and Sienna Miller have no romantic inclination towards each other. Brushing of the rumours of budding romance between them ...

Facebook Taking On Yelp, Angie’s List To Provide Users With Highly-Rated Professional Services
Finding a reliable service provider can be a test of patience for some consumers, despite sites like Angie’s List and Yelp that aim to connect ...

Speaking As A Professional Hairdresser …
Donald Trump expressed outrage, outrage I tell you, that he could not properly wash his hair in South Carolina. Asked about the Environmental ...

Resources last updated: 12/22/2015 3:13:43 AM