Microsoft Releases Windows XP SP2 Release Candidate 1

 Microsoft made good on a promise earlier this week to broaden its Windows
XP SP2 beta testing and put security features into more hands with the
release of Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate.

The release candidate of Windows XP SP2 offers several new features not
offered in the first beta that shipped in December, including the Windows
Security Center accessible from the Windows Control Panel, the Pop-up
Blocker on by default and for consumers, the Windows Update V5 Release
Candidate 1.

The Security Center, one of several Windows XP RC1 features demonstrated by
Microsoft Security Chief Mike Nash during his webcast Tuesday, monitors data
on firewalls, Automatic Update and third-party anti-virus software,
Microsoft said.
 http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/breakingnews.asp?ArticleID=48717

--
Regard: Joh@nnes �  :-))
"If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle"

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:34:16 -0500, "Johannes Niebach"
<sniebach@sprint.ca> wrote:

> Microsoft made good on a promise earlier this week to broaden its Windows
>XP SP2 beta testing and put security features into more hands with the
>release of Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate.
>
>The release candidate of Windows XP SP2 offers several new features not
>offered in the first beta that shipped in December, including the Windows
>Security Center accessible from the Windows Control Panel, the Pop-up
>Blocker on by default and for consumers, the Windows Update V5 Release
>Candidate 1.
>
>The Security Center, one of several Windows XP RC1 features demonstrated by
>Microsoft Security Chief Mike Nash during his webcast Tuesday, monitors data
>on firewalls, Automatic Update and third-party anti-virus software,
>Microsoft said.
> http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/breakingnews.asp?ArticleID=48717

Someone enlighten me on why exactly I should get this service pack?
I have a quality firewall, good antivirus, and I use Firefox+Agent to
cover e-mail, web, and newsgroup posting.
0
Steven
3/18/2004 7:39:00 PM
In article <1muj501h4hb8rjvgst4fbejtorovdg2025@4ax.com>,
spzakulec@mail.widener.edu says...
<>
> Someone enlighten me on why exactly I should get this service pack?
> I have a quality firewall, good antivirus, and I use Firefox+Agent to
> cover e-mail, web, and newsgroup posting.

Because it will fix a lot of vulnerabilities ? Probably even quite a few
not publicly released ? Is your system invulnerable due to your quality
firewall and good antivirus ?
If so, then I guess you don't need it.

--
Bloated Elvis
0

> Someone enlighten me on why exactly I should get this service pack?
> I have a quality firewall, good antivirus, and I use Firefox+Agent to
> cover e-mail, web, and newsgroup posting.

While the most touted features on SP2 are on the security part, a Service
Pack has many others fixes, and may improve compatibility with new hardware
and some software.
0
Christian

Microsoft has released Windows XP Release Candidate 2 (Build 2526) to the beta testers.
"Microsoft is finishing the development of Windows XP: the new build 2526 (Release Candidate 2) is the main build until the final version (RTM - Release to Manufacturing) on Aug 20th " http://www.ntcompatible.com/ There is a quick review of WinXP RC2 at Baboo. Source: www.baboo.com.br ___ Ted ...

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Release Candidate 1
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Release Candidate 1 We have posted twenty screenshots from Microsoft's Windows XP SP2 RC1. We hope you guys enjoy! http://www.activewin.com/screenshots/winxpsp2rc1/index.shtml -- Regard: Joh@nnes � :-)) "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" "Johannes Niebach" wrote in message news:c4abh6$d43$1@news.grc.com... > We have posted twenty screenshots from Microsoft's Windows XP SP2 RC1. We > hope you guys enjoy! Disabling the "DCOM Server" (new) in the services menu c...

Microsoft Releases Windows XP SP2 To OEMs
Windows XP Service Pack 2 released to manufacturing today after an unexpected two-day-long delay due to some unspecified issues. Microsoft is simultaneously releasing the final code and a Preinstall Kit to OEMs. The Redmond, Washington software giant will also be refreshing the Windows XP retail package gradually, so by the end of October, consumers will be able to buy a boxed version of Windows XP SP2. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1632918,00.asp -- Don Track or post software updates in http://cou.dozleng.com ...

Firefox 1.5 Release Candidate 1 released
Announcement: http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=7631 Download: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ It can also be updated via Firefox's software update if you're running one of the v1.5 betas. ...

Microsoft to Release Windows XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N in Europe
REDMOND, Wash. - June 8, 2005 - Microsoft Corp. today announced the timetable for availability of Windows� XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N, the two versions of the Windows operating system created as part of the company's compliance with the European Commission's decision of March 2004. Originally released to computer makers in January 2005, the latest versions of the XP operating systems without Windows Media Player follow further clarifications from the European Commission. These products will be made available to computer manufacturers on June 15 in English, ...

A review of Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2(Release Candidate 2)
A review of Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2(Release Candidate 2) http://www.explosivelabs.com/reviews/windows_xp_sp2_rc2/ -- Kayode Okeyode http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/ http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/webdesign.htm ...

List of HotFixes Released after the Release of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com/support/ServicePacks/Windows/XP/Pre-SP1_Hotfixes.asp -- Kayode My Windows XP Resource Page: http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/kbasewinxp.htm ...

Inline::Java Release Candidate 1 released!
Hi all, Finally I've managed to finish most of the work for 0.40 and I have a release candidate ready. You can get it from SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/inline-java/ For those of you who had heard of 0.34 it has been replaced by 0.40 and will not be released. Many things have changed, most have to do with the installation and the actual loading of the code. NOTE: Your existing Java code may not compile if you used callbacks. See docs for what needs to be ajusted (minor stuff really). Here are the changes: Inline::Java version 0.40 is a major up...

Sunbird 0.2 Release Candidate 1 released
I've not seen this being mentioned here in the newsgroup, so I wanted to inform you, that we released the first release candidate of Sunbird 0.2 on the 17th of December. Please head over to the Sunbird website <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird.html> or directly to the ftp server <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/sunbird/nightly/latest/> and get it while it's hot. Simon -- Default QA Contact Firefox - Menus/Toolbars/Installer My Mozilla blog: http://www.babylonsounds.com/blog.html Join us on Bugday: Every Tuesday from 10 AM - 6...

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2 via Windows Update
Brief Description Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2 is available to the public. Specific registry settings will allow you to be offered SP3 via Windows Update. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=114f3599-12af-42b2-aab1-b969a62c68a7&DisplayLang=en -- {Einstein}-"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." ...

libapreq-1.1 Release Candidate 1
The apreq developers are planning a maintenance release of libapreq-1.1. This version does not include support for modperl-2, but it does address some outstanding problems in 1.0: * OS X support * perl 5.8 segfaults related to file uploads. Please give the tarball at http://www.apache.org/~joes/libapreq-1.1_rc1.tar.gz a try and report comments/problems/etc. to the apreq-dev list at apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org. There are special build instructions for OS X, so be sure to have a look at http://www.apache.org/~joes/ for details on OS X support. We'll be ...

Firefox Release Candidate and Release Candidate 2
Name: William E. Ward III Email: willward999atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Release Candidate and Release Candidate 2 Comments: Browser is stable using 12 Tabs, no degrading of speed noticed. Browser is noticeably faster than IE 7, Safari, and Firefox the older, as Wall Street Journal's Walter Mossberg's 06/05/08 article reported. Like the larger round "Go Back" key upper left corner. Thank you for your excellent work. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://h...

Microsoft to release Windows Vista SP1 release on February 15th?
Digitimes.com runs a story about DRAM supplies getting short this year. He mentions Vista SP1 might be a trigger for more DRAM demand: "Nanya's Pai said that in 2007 major PC OEMs had limited amounts to spend on DRAM because of rising panel and battery prices. He expects the PC market to have a drop in sales in the first quarter, which will be deeper than the ones in previous years because of strong shipments by PC OEMs to retail channels in the fourth quarter. But the PC market will rebound in the second quarter, he said. The launch of an updated version of Microso...

MPL Release Candidate 1 released
Hi, all- I'm happy to announce the release of MPL 2 Release Candidate 1 - the text that we hope will become MPL 2.0 and serve the open source community well for the next decade (or three). The plain text of the license is here: http://mpl.mozilla.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/MPL-RC1.txt (other formats available through http://mpl.mozilla.org/participate/rc ) Changes ======= We received excellent and useful feedback on Beta 2, which led us to make a lot of smaller changes (definition cleanups, readability changes, etc.) and one larger change - a reorganization of the l...

Web resources about - Microsoft Releases Windows XP SP2 Release Candidate 1 - grc.techtalk

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message