IT People: What do you do when everything is running smoothly?

--wwT4mlxest0m84KbQE65wj14VH4QC3pVL

I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
they should?

Thanks,

On 18/02/2014 19:24, Q-tip wrote:
> I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
> running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
> free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
> they should?
>
> Thanks,

Without warning, remove the PCs of those running XP,  and give them new
PCs with Win8 installed.

Should keep you busy for a while.

--

Jeff
0
On 02/18/2014 02:24 PM, Q-tip wrote:
> I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
> running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
> free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
> they should?

Post to nntp newsgroups.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux

0
Renee
2/18/2014 8:08:54 PM
Q-tip <newton21989@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
>running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
>free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
>they should?

What, no backlog of user requests?!  <grin>

TomT
0
TomT
2/18/2014 8:15:05 PM
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:24:45 -0600, Q-tip wrote:

> What do you other IT people do when things are running as
> they should?

Solitaire's installed for a reason, bucko! <g>

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie@fastmail.fm

"Excuse me.
 I don't mean to impose,
 but I am the Ocean."

      ~ The Salton Sea
0
Yeff
2/18/2014 8:34:21 PM
Q-tip wrote:
> I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
> running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
> free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
> they should?
>
> Thanks,

Try and work out what you have missed.

If that fails, start planning for the future, e.g. the upgrade to Win 9.

AlanD
0
AlanD
2/18/2014 8:51:32 PM
Q-tip wrote:
> I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
> running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
> free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
> they should?

I don't know. I've never had that experience.
--
Crash

I'm going to be a dirty old man when I grow up.
0
Dave
2/18/2014 9:17:06 PM
AlanD wrote:
> Try and work out what you have missed.
>
> If that fails, start planning for the future, e.g. the upgrade to Win 9.

Or make sure that your disaster recovery planning is current (and tested).

Smith
0
NFN
2/18/2014 9:26:11 PM
In article <le0c23$2qnq$1@news.grc.com>, newton21989@gmail.com says...
> I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
> running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
> free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
> they should?
>
> Thanks,

Implementing DNSSEC validation and planning IPv6. :)
0
Dallam
2/18/2014 9:47:16 PM
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:24:45 -0600, Q-tip wrote:

> I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
> running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
> free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
> they should?

Worry.

--
no nym
0
Q-tip <newton21989@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
> running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my
> new-found free time. What do you other IT people do when things
> are running as they should?

Nobody in your organization needs any training?  Consider some classes
for the most clueless newbies, the more they know the fewer headaches
you'll have.

Example: I once asked a supervisor, "Why are you using Excel for
databases when you have Access?"  Answer, "Nobody here knows how to use
Access."  Time for Access basics class!

It's hard to believe that nobody in your organization needs any
training, but you could just do as I do, browse the LOLcats and hope
disaster won't strike. <G>  I'm glad to be out of it.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
XS11E
2/19/2014 6:16:38 AM
[for the unabridged version, see Dallam Oliver-Lee's post above]

> In article <le0c23$2qnq$1@news.grc.com>, newton21989@gmail.com says...
>> I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
>> running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
>> free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
>> they should?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Implementing DNSSEC validation and planning IPv6. :)

+1 ;)
0
DSLR
2/19/2014 12:30:08 PM
On 18.02.2014 23:24, Q-tip wrote:
> I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
> running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
> free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
> they should?
>
> Thanks,

This is a good long list:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-useful-computer-related-technical-skills-I-can-learn-within-a-day

0
Mili
2/19/2014 1:01:53 PM
On 2/18/2014 1:24:48 PM, Q-tip wrote:

> I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
> running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
> free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
> they should?
>
> Thanks,

Wait 5 minutes until the next issue starts.

As a DBA, I will usually check indexes, backups, update my scripts getting ready
for the next big issue to come up. Then I will check out my different servers,
go over event logs to see issues lurking below the surface. If things are really
slow [doesn't happen often], I will work on my own virtual environment, playing
with the latest tools and working on updating my skills.
0
jeff
2/19/2014 2:38:19 PM
On 2/19/2014 8:01 AM, Mili wrote:

> This is a good long list:
>
> https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-useful-computer-related-technical-skills-I-can-learn-within-a-day

Requires signing in through Google or Facebook. Bogus.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/19/2014 3:09:52 PM
> "Mark Warner"  wrote in message news:le2hfs$vqa$1@news.grc.com...
>
> Requires signing in through Google or Facebook. Bogus.

Not so - Select "close & read first answer" this gets you to a long list of
suggestions as stated by Mili

Alan
0
alan
2/19/2014 4:55:09 PM
On 2014-02-19 7:09, Mark Warner wrote:
> On 2/19/2014 8:01 AM, Mili wrote:
>>
>> This is a good long list:
>>
>> https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-useful-computer-related-technical-skills-I-can-learn-within-a-day
>

> Requires signing in through Google or Facebook. Bogus.

You can also click on the "Sign up with Email" link. At least you should
be able to -- the link doesn't work for me in Chrome.

Regards,
Sam

0
Sam
2/19/2014 7:03:30 PM
Any website that requires some sort of login, is not worth my time.  There
are plenty of other sites that contain that information.

"Mili" <mili@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:le2a01$qt8$2@news.grc.com...
> On 18.02.2014 23:24, Q-tip wrote:
>> I'm an IT guy for a small-ish organization. Lately, everything is
>> running well, but I'm looking to still be productive with my new-found
>> free time. What do you other IT people do when things are running as
>> they should?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> This is a good long list:
>
> https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-useful-computer-related-technical-skills-I-can-learn-within-a-day

0
Renee

Running Running Running
Name: John Harris Email: jkharrisatmindspringdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Running Running Running Comments: Why, does Firefox, even when mimimized, still takes up to 20, 30, 40% (or more) of my CPU on my Windows XP Pro computer. It seems to just happily chew up cycles. How do I get it to do nothing while minimized. Especially a problem with virtual machines. Thanks, John Harris Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers...

SR6 is running, and running, and running...
I started it last night at about 1130pm, now its 905 am. It seems to be stuck at 95% on the first partition, with 12 minutes left, and 4 hours 21 minutes elapsed, which I know is bologna. The SMART information has all dissapeared, except for the EEC stuff. Dynastat is not running, but it shows data moving across at a normal speed. I'm not totally sure it's hung up, but it may be taking it's time because it won't move the files in the current area, due to them all being marked as system/hidden. I hope it moves on. Torrance "Torrance Bell" <st...

runs smoothly
Name: joe Email: jteitelman2006atbellsouthdotnet Product: Gran Paradiso Alpha 1 Summary: runs smoothly Comments: although I possess no expertise about computers or about programming, I can say that thus far, this alpha version of Firefox -- i.e. Gran Paradiso -- is running without any problems. I've been using it for over one week, and it has yet to crash. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20061218 Minefield/3.0a1 ...

Why run smooth in PB RUN but got stack dump in .exe?
Hi PB gods, I wrote a window with a 6 tabpages, it ran very good in RUN, but when I did the .exe, I got the following message every time I clicked on rb/cbx or typed on the sle/em in any tabpage. PEHMIS caused an invalid page fault in module PBRTE050.DLL at 0157:10b70201. Registers: EAX=000001d2 CS=0157 EIP=10b70201 EFLGS=00010246 EBX=00000576 SS=015f ESP=0062f4c4 EBP=0062f5d8 ECX=004001d4 DS=015f ESI=00000000 FS=3357 EDX=0043a6c6 ES=015f EDI=00000576 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 00 00 00 53 4d 5f 4a 55 4d 50 54 52 55 45 00 53 Stack dump: 0043a6c6 0062f5d8 0062f4d0 0043a6c6 10b49...

not running smoothly.
Name: bill Email: wm42790atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: not running smoothly. Comments: i have only had the software installed for about an hour, and streeming video has not run well, and it froze up on me. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b3) Gecko/20090305 Firefox/3.1b3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Running smoothly
Name: Florin Cazacu Email: florinc89atyahoodotcom Product: Shiretoko Alpha 1 Summary: Running smoothly Comments: Great work so far, the only bug I've found till now is the scrolling one, when I scroll slow it goes normally but when I scroll the same number of times faster it jumps faster to the end of the page. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2a1) Gecko/20090806 Namoroka/3.6a1 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/namoroka/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback b...

How do people run ASA8?
We've been using SQLAnywhere5.5 on Windows and have been playing with ASA8 on Linux (both RH9 and SuSE 8.2). One of the differences is that the 5.5 server has a GUI-front end of sorts - you can see who's logged-in, what IP address they're on and then kick them off etc. Is there an equivalent management utility with ASA8? Use dbconsole -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 **************************************************************************** * Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edi...

Runs pretty smoothly.
Name: Lee Email: l_ciociaatyahoodotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Alpha 5 Summary: Runs pretty smoothly. Comments: I like Gran Paradiso so far, it has only come up with an error once, which is pretty good for a relatively new browser. The only thing that you guys might need to make sure is that Gran Paradiso soon gets the themes updated. That was one of the main reasons I converted to Firefox. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a5) Gecko/20070606 GranParadiso/3.0a5 ...

Smooth running application
Name: Lauri Gardner Email: lauridotgardneratouludotfi Product: Minefield Summary: Smooth running application Comments: So far, load times are down runs faster and smoother. Unfortunately not all plugins are supported (yet). I look forward to when they are. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b4pre) Gecko/2008022714 Minefield/3.0b4pre ...

Login scripts not running for some people
Cannot understand why some zen4 policies run for some people and not others. Running XP Pro, client 4.9 sp1a. The policy that gives the login script is running for some and not for others? so this is a Group Policy, yes? Is it consistent, i.e. some users always get it, some user never get it, and this problem is not machine specific (so that you've tested it with a user that doesn't work on a different workstation, and a working user on one of the machines used by a broken user)? Is it the whole policy that doesn't work, or just part of it? -- Shaun Pond N...

run, johnny, run
An old country preacher had a teenage son, and it was getting time the boy should give some thought to choosing a profession. Like many young men, the boy didn't really know what he wanted to do, and he didn't seem too concerned about it. One day, while the boy was away at school, his father decided to try an experiment. He went into the boy's room and placed on his study table four objects: a Bible, a silver dollar, a bottle of whisky and a Playboy magazine 'I'll just hide behind the door,' the old preacher said to himself, 'when he comes home fro...

how to make animation running smoothly
Hello all: I build a FMX Mobile 3D project in Delphi Xe6 which has one camera, one Timer and two Layer3Ds which contains stretched image. I want the two 3Dlayers to fade in, rotate and fade out alternately. Here's my code at first: {code} procedure TForm1.Timer1Timer(Sender: TObject); begin Timer1.Enabled:= False; HideLayer(currentLayer); PlayLayer(nextLayer); Self.Tag:= Self.Tag+1; end; procedure TForm1.HideLayer(layer:TLayer3D); begin layer.AnimateFloat('opacity',0,2); end; procedure TForm1.PlayLayer(layer:TLayer3D); begin layer.StopAnimatio...

Run Felton RUN!
Two Catholic Boys There were two Catholic boys, Timothy Murphy and Antonio Secola, whose lives parallel each other in amazing ways. In the same year Timothy was born in Ireland, Antonio was born in Italy. Faithfully they attended parochial school from kindergarten through their senior year in high school. They took their vows to enter the priesthood early in college, and upon graduation, became priests. Their careers had come to amaze the world, but it was generally acknowledged that Antonio Secola was just a cut above Timothy Murphy in all respects. Their rise through the ra...

Wont run, but it is running
Setting up a new machine and tried to install 'Contacts Add BCC button' to TB 2.0.0.21. but it wouldn't install, just displayed a message that it didn't run on versions later that 1.??? But go over to the old machine I'm replacing and there it is running on 2.0.0.21 ferpectly. Could it be that it was running on the old machine when it was upgraded to 2.0.0.21 and hasn't woken up to the fact that the system has changed or alternatively that the old is running XP whereas the new is Vista?? Jim Jim Shooz wrote: > Setting up a new machine and tried to in...

Web resources about - IT People: What do you do when everything is running smoothly? - grc.techtalk

Calls for calm in Cleveland after Tamir Rice decision
CBS News Calls for calm in Cleveland after Tamir Rice decision CBS News CLEVELAND Officials are urging calm as they brace for expected protests ...

Trump is Right about Bill Clinton
WASHINGTON Donald Trump is crude and vulgar. He's every -ist in the book: racist, sexist, narcissist, for starters. His dis about Hillary Clinton ...

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ With Stellar Monday Box Office
Disney’s Star Wars : The Force Awakens is continuing on its phenomenal trajectory as audiences on Monday just added another estimated $31.5M ...

Samsung Pay Will Launch Online Payments In the U.S.
Samsung Pay plans a major expansion in the United States next year. Users will be able to make purchases on websites with Samsung Pay, which ...

2 arrested on suspicion of plotting New Year's Eve attacks in Belgium
Two people were arrested in Belgium on suspicion they were planning attacks in the country's capital city, Brussels, during the holidays. The ...

Man Killed After Blowing Up A Condom Machine
It’s unclear whether it’s just Darwinism at work or a drunken prank gone wrong, but a German man died on Christmas Day while trying to blow up ...

San Francisco's Housing Shortage Threatens African Americans
Space-strapped San Francisco mines historic African American neighborhood for housing, retail

Stop sharing that Facebook post: Mark Zuckerberg is not giving away his fortune to random members
A popular hoax post circulating around Facebook claims its founder is giving $4.

China to 'wait and see' if Japan sincere on 'comfort women' issue
China's Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday it would "wait and see" how sincere Japan was after South Korea and Japan reached a landmark agreement ...

Meadowlark Lemon, beloved Harlem Globetrotters showman, dead at 83
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Meadowlark Lemon, the "clown prince" of basketball's barnstorming Harlem Globetrotters, whose blend of hook shots and humor ...