ISOs for Windows 8

Does anyone know of a legit/legal source for W8 ISOs for mere mortals
like me? MSFT made them available for Win 7 through Digital River, and
I've used them successfully on several occasions.

I now have a coworker with a W8 laptop that's totally fried, no restore
disk was created (of course) and he says that both the Repair and
Refresh (or whatever they're called) options fail.

He's got a good license, just need the install media.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying

Mark Warner <mhwarner.inhibitions@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a legit/legal source for W8 ISOs for mere
> mortals like me? MSFT made them available for Win 7 through
> Digital River, and I've used them successfully on several
> occasions.
>
> I now have a coworker with a W8 laptop that's totally fried, no
> restore disk was created (of course) and he says that both the
> Repair and Refresh (or whatever they're called) options fail.
>
> He's got a good license, just need the install media.

Many laptop manufacturers make their install CDs available, I know HP
does, he should check their website.

NOTE: They're usually not free but fairly reasonable (at least HP is.)

The Usenet Improvement Project:
XS11E
2/13/2014 3:42:56 PM
On 2/13/2014 10:42 AM, XS11E wrote:
> Mark Warner <mhwarner.inhibitions@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a legit/legal source for W8 ISOs for mere
>> mortals like me? MSFT made them available for Win 7 through
>> Digital River, and I've used them successfully on several
>> occasions.
>>
>> I now have a coworker with a W8 laptop that's totally fried, no
>> restore disk was created (of course) and he says that both the
>> Repair and Refresh (or whatever they're called) options fail.
>>
>> He's got a good license, just need the install media.
>
> Many laptop manufacturers make their install CDs available, I know HP
> does, he should check their website.
>
> NOTE: They're usually not free but fairly reasonable (at least HP is.)

Yes, I've advised the owner to do that (Acer), but was hoping to be able
to find the generic ISOs for this and future similar situations. The
availability of the W7 ISOs has been a Godsend.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/13/2014 4:00:18 PM
Mark Warner <mhwarner.inhibitions@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/13/2014 10:42 AM, XS11E wrote:
>> Mark Warner <mhwarner.inhibitions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Does anyone know of a legit/legal source for W8 ISOs for mere
>>> mortals like me? MSFT made them available for Win 7 through
>>> Digital River, and I've used them successfully on several
>>> occasions.
>>>
>>> I now have a coworker with a W8 laptop that's totally fried, no
>>> restore disk was created (of course) and he says that both the
>>> Repair and Refresh (or whatever they're called) options fail.
>>>
>>> He's got a good license, just need the install media.
>>
>> Many laptop manufacturers make their install CDs available, I
>> know HP does, he should check their website.
>>
>> NOTE: They're usually not free but fairly reasonable (at least HP
>> is.)
>
> Yes, I've advised the owner to do that (Acer), but was hoping to
> be able to find the generic ISOs for this and future similar
> situations. The availability of the W7 ISOs has been a Godsend.

See if this helps:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

The Usenet Improvement Project:
XS11E
2/13/2014 4:27:53 PM
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:00:18 -0500, Mark Warner wrote:

> On 2/13/2014 10:42 AM, XS11E wrote:
>> Mark Warner <mhwarner.inhibitions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Does anyone know of a legit/legal source for W8 ISOs for mere mortals
>>> like me? MSFT made them available for Win 7 through Digital River, and
>>> I've used them successfully on several occasions.
>>>
>>> I now have a coworker with a W8 laptop that's totally fried, no
>>> restore disk was created (of course) and he says that both the Repair
>>> and Refresh (or whatever they're called) options fail.
>>>
>>> He's got a good license, just need the install media.
>>
>> Many laptop manufacturers make their install CDs available, I know HP
>> does, he should check their website.
>>
>> NOTE: They're usually not free but fairly reasonable (at least HP is.)
>
> Yes, I've advised the owner to do that (Acer), but was hoping to be able
> to find the generic ISOs for this and future similar situations. The
> availability of the W7 ISOs has been a Godsend.

Haven't tried this myself,but apparently you can create install media
using the upgrade tool and valid license key.
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-a-windows-8-installation-dvd-or-usb-
drive-505769939
http://tinyurl.com/brfpxwh

Dave

--
Fedora 20 KDE 4.11.5
0
On 2/13/2014 11:34 AM, Dave wrote:

> Haven't tried this myself,but apparently you can create install media
> using the upgrade tool and valid license key.
> http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-a-windows-8-installation-dvd-or-usb-drive-505769939
> http://tinyurl.com/brfpxwh

Hmmm... based on the comments, it looks like this doesn't work with OEM
installs. Looks to me like it's only good for updates.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/13/2014 6:14:37 PM
On 2/13/2014 11:27 AM, XS11E wrote:

> See if this helps:
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Might be worth a shot, but since all he's got is an OEM license (not an
Upgrade license) I have my doubts.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/13/2014 6:17:25 PM
On 2014-02-13 10:34 AM, Mark Warner wrote:

> Does anyone know of a legit/legal source for W8 ISOs for mere mortals
> like me? MSFT made them available for Win 7 through Digital River, and
> I've used them successfully on several occasions.

> I now have a coworker with a W8 laptop that's totally fried, no restore
> disk was created (of course) and he says that both the Repair and
> Refresh (or whatever they're called) options fail.

> He's got a good license, just need the install media.

Which Version? I may have an OEM Win 8 Pro 64 bit kicking around.
--
Fishbate = brucef when replying
0
On 2/13/2014 1:14 PM, Mark Warner wrote:
> On 2/13/2014 11:34 AM, Dave wrote:
>

>> Haven't tried this myself,but apparently you can create install media
>> using the upgrade tool and valid license key.
>> http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-a-windows-8-installation-dvd-or-usb-drive-505769939
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/brfpxwh
>
> Hmmm... based on the comments, it looks like this doesn't work with OEM
> installs. Looks to me like it's only good for updates.

Any chance there's a hidden manufacturer's partition with Win 8 and
drivers? Lenovo does that on Thinkpads.
0
John
2/13/2014 7:44:57 PM
Dave wrote:

> Haven't tried this myself,but apparently you can create install media
> using the upgrade tool and valid license key.
> http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-a-windows-8-installation-dvd-or-usb-
> drive-505769939
> http://tinyurl.com/brfpxwh
>
> Dave

I found what appeared to be a source of Win8 ISO's from Microsoft. In order
to get the download you have to input your Product key so they can check
that you have a genuine one. However, it appears that they will only let you
download the ISO if you have a Retail key. When I tried with my genuine OEM
key, I was told "Not valid for download".

AlanD
0
AlanD
2/13/2014 8:13:04 PM
On 2014-02-13 2:44 PM, John wrote:
> On 2/13/2014 1:14 PM, Mark Warner wrote:
>> On 2/13/2014 11:34 AM, Dave wrote:
>>

>>> Haven't tried this myself,but apparently you can create install media
>>> using the upgrade tool and valid license key.
>>> http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-a-windows-8-installation-dvd-or-usb-drive-505769939
>>>

>>> http://tinyurl.com/brfpxwh
>>
>> Hmmm... based on the comments, it looks like this doesn't work with OEM
>> installs. Looks to me like it's only good for updates.
>>

> Any chance there's a hidden manufacturer's partition with Win 8 and
> drivers? Lenovo does that on Thinkpads.

Acer is ALT + F10 on boot

--
Fishbate = brucef when replying
0
Fishbate
2/13/2014 8:14:25 PM
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:13:04 +0000, AlanD wrote:

> I found what appeared to be a source of Win8 ISO's from Microsoft. In order
> to get the download you have to input your Product key so they can check
> that you have a genuine one. However, it appears that they will only let you
> download the ISO if you have a Retail key. When I tried with my genuine OEM
> key, I was told "Not valid for download".

So go to your local computer store, note down the key from the sticker on a
display item, and off you go ?

--
no nym
0
no nym wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:13:04 +0000, AlanD wrote:
>
>> I found what appeared to be a source of Win8 ISO's from Microsoft. In order
>> to get the download you have to input your Product key so they can check
>> that you have a genuine one. However, it appears that they will only let you
>> download the ISO if you have a Retail key. When I tried with my genuine OEM
>> key, I was told "Not valid for download".
>
> So go to your local computer store, note down the key from the sticker on a
> display item, and off you go ?

No, most of the kit on display in a local computer store is OEM kit and will
have an OEM licence. The download only works with a real Microsoft retail
version, (not the ones supplied by Dell, HP, Acer, etc). On the MS DVD's the
key is hidden inside the sealed packaging.

AlanD
0
AlanD
2/13/2014 8:29:58 PM
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 10:34:54 -0500, Mark Warner wrote:

> Does anyone know of a legit/legal source for W8 ISOs for mere mortals
> like me? MSFT made them available for Win 7 through Digital River, and
> I've used them successfully on several occasions.

> I now have a coworker with a W8 laptop that's totally fried, no restore
> disk was created (of course) and he says that both the Repair and
> Refresh (or whatever they're called) options fail.

> He's got a good license, just need the install media.

Anything useful here ?

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-iso/

--
no nym
0
On 2/13/2014 2:07 PM, Fishbate wrote:
> On 2014-02-13 10:34 AM, Mark Warner wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a legit/legal source for W8 ISOs for mere mortals
>> like me? MSFT made them available for Win 7 through Digital River, and
>> I've used them successfully on several occasions.
>
>> I now have a coworker with a W8 laptop that's totally fried, no restore
>> disk was created (of course) and he says that both the Repair and
>> Refresh (or whatever they're called) options fail.
>
>> He's got a good license, just need the install media.
>
> Which Version? I may have an OEM Win 8 Pro 64 bit kicking around.

I'm pretty sure it's Home Premium 64 bit from Acer.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/13/2014 8:58:10 PM
On 2014-02-13 7:34, Mark Warner wrote:

> Does anyone know of a legit/legal source for W8 ISOs for mere mortals
> like me? MSFT made them available for Win 7 through Digital River, and
> I've used them successfully on several occasions.
>
> I now have a coworker with a W8 laptop that's totally fried, no restore
> disk was created (of course) and he says that both the Repair and
> Refresh (or whatever they're called) options fail.
>
> He's got a good license, just need the install media.

Go here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Click on the blue link for the product which the co-worker has a key for
(8, 8.1).

Run the downloaded executable. It will request the product key, and one
of the options immediately following will be to create an .iso.

Regards,
Sam

0
Sam
2/13/2014 11:57:26 PM
On 02/13/2014 06:57 PM, Sam Schinke wrote:

>> He's got a good license, just need the install media.
>
> Go here:
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
>
> Click on the blue link for the product which the co-worker has a key for
> (8, 8.1).
>
> Run the downloaded executable. It will request the product key, and one
> of the options immediately following will be to create an .iso.

Thanks Sam. XS11E pointed me at the same link. I'm getting the machine
tomorrow and will see what happens. I hope I'm wrong, but I have my
doubts that it will accept an OEM key. Can't hurt to try.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/14/2014 12:10:31 AM
On 2014-02-13 16:10, Mark Warner wrote:
> On 02/13/2014 06:57 PM, Sam Schinke wrote:
>>>
>>> He's got a good license, just need the install media.
>>
>> Go here:
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
>>
>> Click on the blue link for the product which the co-worker has a key
>> for (8, 8.1).
>>
>> Run the downloaded executable. It will request the product key, and
>> one of the options immediately following will be to create an .iso.
>
> Thanks Sam. XS11E pointed me at the same link. I'm getting the machine
> tomorrow and will see what happens. I hope I'm wrong, but I have my
> doubts that it will accept an OEM key. Can't hurt to try.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right that it won't work. And even if it
did, there is a very good chance that the .iso would not permit an
install using an OEM product key.

Acer seems to sell recovery media if the hard drive has been
changed/died or the recovery partition removed:

http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

I'm especially fond of their note mentioning that XP recovery media is
no longer available due to "Microsoft".

Regards,
Sam
0
Sam
2/14/2014 2:04:40 AM
On 13/02/14 15:34, Mark Warner wrote:

> Does anyone know of a legit/legal source for W8 ISOs for mere mortals
> like me? MSFT made them available for Win 7 through Digital River, and
> I've used them successfully on several occasions.
>
> I now have a coworker with a W8 laptop that's totally fried, no restore
> disk was created (of course) and he says that both the Repair and
> Refresh (or whatever they're called) options fail.
>
> He's got a good license, just need the install media.

I presume you'll want the 8.1 iso. The problem is that Microsoft doesn't
allow you to download the 8.1 iso with an 8 key, even though 8.1 is a
free upgrade. Maybe Microsoft relented since I did this, but if not
there's a trick to download the 8.1 iso even if you've only got a key to 8:
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57608376-285/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8.1-iso/

Also when you install it refuses to activate initially with the 8 key.
Another trick gets by this, can't find the web article I got this from
but here are my notes:
(I put my iso on a stick with Rufus)

     Won't accept Win 8 key - so need to add this text file "ei.cfg" in
sources directory on stick
       (specifies Professional edition expecting retail key)
       [EditionID]
       Professional
       [Channel]
       Retail
       [VL]
       0

     When asks to activate - skip then activate later (within 30 days)

Hope this is useful.
--
Russell
0
AlanD wrote:

> I found what appeared to be a source of Win8 ISO's from Microsoft. In
> order to get the download you have to input your Product key so they
> can check that you have a genuine one. However, it appears that they
> will only let you download the ISO if you have a Retail key. When I
> tried with my genuine OEM key, I was told "Not valid for download".
>
> AlanD

Could you provide the link?  As I read this thread, it seems like it'd
be prudent to have an ISO available as an "in case".  I do have a
retail version and if need be can work from it, but an ISO sounds
useful.

Thanks,

John
0
John
2/14/2014 2:57:46 PM
"Mark Warner" <mhwarner.inhibitions@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 2/13/2014 2:07 PM, Fishbate wrote:

>> Which Version? I may have an OEM Win 8 Pro 64 bit kicking around.

> I'm pretty sure it's Home Premium 64 bit from Acer.

If you know the SHA1 of the particular product you want, then just search
Google for that same SHA1 and you will come up will plenty of hits.

As long as the SHA1 is there, no worries.

Rick

> --
> Mark Warner
> ...lose .inhibitions when replying

0
RickC
2/14/2014 3:22:26 PM
John wrote:
> AlanD wrote:
>

>> I found what appeared to be a source of Win8 ISO's from Microsoft. In
>> order to get the download you have to input your Product key so they
>> can check that you have a genuine one. However, it appears that they
>> will only let you download the ISO if you have a Retail key. When I
>> tried with my genuine OEM key, I was told "Not valid for download".
>>
>> AlanD
>
> Could you provide the link?  As I read this thread, it seems like it'd
> be prudent to have an ISO available as an "in case".  I do have a
> retail version and if need be can work from it, but an ISO sounds
> useful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

It was the link mentioned earlier in thsi thread
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

AlanD
0
AlanD
2/14/2014 3:59:38 PM
"John" <Invalid@invalid.com> wrote in news:ldlat9$2qid$1@news.grc.com:

>AlanD wrote:
>

>> I found what appeared to be a source of Win8 ISO's from Microsoft. In
>> order to get the download you have to input your Product key so they
>> can check that you have a genuine one. However, it appears that they
>> will only let you download the ISO if you have a Retail key. When I
>> tried with my genuine OEM key, I was told "Not valid for download".
>>
>> AlanD
>
>Could you provide the link?  As I read this thread, it seems like it'd
>be prudent to have an ISO available as an "in case".  I do have a
>retail version and if need be can work from it, but an ISO sounds
>useful.
>
>Thanks,
>
>John

If you have a retail version, you can make your own iso.
0
Danny
2/14/2014 5:39:45 PM
On 2/13/2014 7:10 PM, Mark Warner wrote:
> On 02/13/2014 06:57 PM, Sam Schinke wrote:
>>>
>>> He's got a good license, just need the install media.
>>
>> Go here:
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
>>
>> Click on the blue link for the product which the co-worker has a key
>> for (8, 8.1).
>>
>> Run the downloaded executable. It will request the product key, and
>> one of the options immediately following will be to create an .iso.
>
> Thanks Sam. XS11E pointed me at the same link. I'm getting the machine
> tomorrow and will see what happens. I hope I'm wrong, but I have my
> doubts that it will accept an OEM key. Can't hurt to try.

The plot thickens. I haven't seen it, but the owner tells me that there
is no 25 key code on the MSFT sticker on the underside of the laptop.
Which now rings bells -- I think I ran into that once before a year or
so ago with my niece's W8 laptop that she had totally trashed beyond all
recovery, just like this one is reported to be. (She got a load of Linux
and is happy as a clam with it.)

I've told him to get the recovery media from Acer and see what he can
accomplish with that.

It's beyond belief to me how MSFT gets away with abusing its users the
way they do.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/14/2014 8:34:04 PM
Snip>
>I've told him to get the recovery media from Acer and see what he can
>accomplish with that.
>
>It's beyond belief to me how MSFT gets away with abusing its users the
>way they do.
My new Asus laptop doesn't have key sticker either.

Does that mean the laptop will last forever ????????

KenW
0
Ken1943
2/14/2014 9:17:13 PM
Mark Warner was heard to say :

> The plot thickens. I haven't seen it, but the owner tells me that there
> is no 25 key code on the MSFT sticker on the underside of the laptop.

As is now usual, Mark. Try:
http://www.intowindows.com/windows-8-product-key-viewer/

--
Mark Cross @ 02/14/2014 5:18 p.m.
It's like deja vu all over again.

0
Mark
2/14/2014 9:19:31 PM
Mark Cross was heard to say :

> Mark Warner was heard to say :
>
>> The plot thickens. I haven't seen it, but the owner tells me that there
>> is no 25 key code on the MSFT sticker on the underside of the laptop.
>
> As is now usual, Mark. Try:
> http://www.intowindows.com/windows-8-product-key-viewer/

Or better still, try belarc (I have NOT done this):
    http://www.7tutorials.com/how-recover-your-lost-windows-7-or-windows-8-product-key

--
Mark Cross @ 02/14/2014 5:22 p.m.
There is no time like the pleasant.

0
Mark
2/14/2014 9:23:13 PM
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 17:23:13 -0400, Mark Cross wrote:

> Mark Cross was heard to say :

>> Mark Warner was heard to say :

>>> The plot thickens. I haven't seen it, but the owner tells me that there
>>> is no 25 key code on the MSFT sticker on the underside of the laptop.

>> As is now usual, Mark. Try:
>> http://www.intowindows.com/windows-8-product-key-viewer/

> Or better still, try belarc (I have NOT done this):
>     http://www.7tutorials.com/how-recover-your-lost-windows-7-or-windows-8-product-key

Both those solutions will work on machines which can be booted
successfully. If it won't boot, those tools will not be able to track down
the product key.

--
no nym
0
On 2014-02-14 13:19, Mark Cross wrote:
> Mark Warner was heard to say :
>
>> The plot thickens. I haven't seen it, but the owner tells me that there
>> is no 25 key code on the MSFT sticker on the underside of the laptop.
>
> As is now usual, Mark. Try:
> http://www.intowindows.com/windows-8-product-key-viewer/

Probably not much use without a running install, however. :(

Regards,
Sam

0
Sam
2/14/2014 9:43:50 PM
On 2014-02-14 12:34, Mark Warner wrote:
[...]
> The plot thickens. I haven't seen it, but the owner tells me that there
> is no 25 key code on the MSFT sticker on the underside of the laptop.
> Which now rings bells -- I think I ran into that once before a year or
> so ago with my niece's W8 laptop that she had totally trashed beyond all
> recovery, just like this one is reported to be. (She got a load of Linux
> and is happy as a clam with it.)

I *think* I remember something about Windows 8 systems storing the
product key in the BIOS. Yeah, here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57554240-292/windows-8-moves-to-bios-based-product-keys/

No doubt recovering an OEM product key for use on an OEM machine would
require said OEM's recovery/re-installation media.

Given that the product key is all locked away like that, though, I find
it really strange that the retail .iso wouldn't just work. I guess MS
doesn't really want to be supporting all kinds of random OEM drivers and
such.

Regards,
Sam
0
Sam
2/14/2014 9:49:46 PM
On 2/14/2014 4:43 PM, Sam Schinke wrote:
> On 2014-02-14 13:19, Mark Cross wrote:
>> Mark Warner was heard to say :
>>>
>>> The plot thickens. I haven't seen it, but the owner tells me that there
>>> is no 25 key code on the MSFT sticker on the underside of the laptop.
>>
>> As is now usual, Mark. Try:
>> http://www.intowindows.com/windows-8-product-key-viewer/
>
> Probably not much use without a running install, however. :(

No kidding.

We're talking about home users (teenagers -- gotta have Windows for
school they say) who never made a recovery disk, never saved any of the
documentation, nothin' -- just fired it up and went straight to
Facebook. It's not like they could be expected to record the key.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/14/2014 9:57:00 PM
On 02/14/2014 04:49 PM, Sam Schinke wrote:

> No doubt recovering an OEM product key for use on an OEM machine would
> require said OEM's recovery/re-installation media.

"It's also important to note that Microsoft does not currently offer a
full retail edition of Windows 8 in the same way that prior versions of
Windows were available as full retail packages. The only standalone
(non-upgrade) edition of Windows 8 available is the System Builder edition."

My God, what a clusterfsck. Bottom line seems to be that without the OEM
specific recovery media, you're shit outta luck.

No more ability to use generic OS media (as was previously made freely
available by MSFT through Digital River) means you're at the mercy of
the OEMs in that regard. I wonder how long they will make said media
available? One year? Two? Five? Until W9 is released?

MSFT doesn't want to sell to the end user or support him. They want to
sell to the OEMs and have them support the user. The OEMs will support
their products for a year, and then you're on your own -- except you
aren't *able* to be on your own, since the only way you can provide your
own support (reinstalling the OS) is totally dependent on the OEMs.

Of course, all they need to do is claim the user should have made the
recovery disks during the initial setup, and if they're not available
then you're on your own... and round and round and round we go.

I'm sure glad I got off the carousel when I did.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/14/2014 10:56:19 PM
On 2014-02-14 14:56, Mark Warner wrote:
> On 02/14/2014 04:49 PM, Sam Schinke wrote:
>>
>> No doubt recovering an OEM product key for use on an OEM machine would
>> require said OEM's recovery/re-installation media.
>
> "It's also important to note that Microsoft does not currently offer a
> full retail edition of Windows 8 in the same way that prior versions of
> Windows were available as full retail packages. The only standalone
> (non-upgrade) edition of Windows 8 available is the System Builder
> edition."

I'm pretty sure that passage is out of date. You can buy regular retail
versions at most electronics stores these days.

> My God, what a clusterfsck. Bottom line seems to be that without the OEM
> specific recovery media, you're shit outta luck.

I had thought this was always the case on OEM machines. If you wanted to
reinstall from regular retail media, you needed a retail product key.

Hmm, actually, it looks like W7 didn't have this restriction. So it is
strange that they would bring it back for W8. Maybe they didn't, but
still make the .iso hard to obtain for some silly reason.

> No more ability to use generic OS media (as was previously made freely
> available by MSFT through Digital River) means you're at the mercy of
> the OEMs in that regard. I wonder how long they will make said media
> available? One year? Two? Five? Until W9 is released?

Well, you *can* obtain the .iso's, you just need a retail product key to
download them (I've done so a couple times, and keep a W8 ISO bootable
on a USB drive), and it is unclear whether they can be used to
install/activate with an OEM product key.

I can see if I have an unmodified .iso sitting around and provide you
the hashes for it to see if you can find the same file via bit-torrent
or something.

> MSFT doesn't want to sell to the end user or support him. They want to
> sell to the OEMs and have them support the user. The OEMs will support
> their products for a year, and then you're on your own -- except you
> aren't *able* to be on your own, since the only way you can provide your
> own support (reinstalling the OS) is totally dependent on the OEMs.

There are still retail versions available.

> Of course, all they need to do is claim the user should have made the
> recovery disks during the initial setup, and if they're not available
> then you're on your own... and round and round and round we go.

Creating recovery disks rather strongly implies a system that has a
burner of some kind. Many ultra-light laptops have no such creature, and
I am doubtful that OEMs are going to the lengths needed to create decent
USB media.

Regards,
Sam

0
Sam
2/14/2014 11:09:18 PM
Mark Warner wrote:

> Of course, all they need to do is claim the user should have made the
> recovery disks during the initial setup, and if they're not available then
> you're on your own... and round and round and round we go.

I bought a new Compaq laptop from Currys/PC World (UK) last year. That did
not come with any disks, and the shop offered to sell me a set for �20. I
declined, knowing that there would be a "Create Recovery disk" option.
However when I got the machine home and checked it, I found that the shop
had already created a set of disks for this machine, and it is
(theoretically) a one chance option.

A bit of Googling led me to how to reset the counter, so I was able to
create my own set of disks. However, with all their stuff on as well, it was
4 DVD's, not one.

AlanD

0
AlanD
2/14/2014 11:19:21 PM
Sam Schinke wrote:

> Creating recovery disks rather strongly implies a system that has a
> burner of some kind. Many ultra-light laptops have no such creature, and
> I am doubtful that OEMs are going to the lengths needed to create decent
> USB media.

For several years, the trend with OEMs has been emphasis on recovery
partitions on the hard disk.  That goes in parallel with both making the
end user burn their own recovery media (yes, I know, yet another
cost-cutting measure), as well as machines that don't ship with optical
drives.

The expectation seems to be that if you have an unbootable drive, press
whatever key combination to get it to start from the recovery partition,
and then go about rebuilding/restoring from there.

Unfortunately, that doesn't account for a HD that's hosed badly enough
that you can't get to the recovery partition, whether corrupt data
(especially Master Boot Record), or hardware failure of the drive hardware.

Smith

0
NFN
2/14/2014 11:23:15 PM
On 02/14/2014 06:09 PM, Sam Schinke wrote:
> On 2014-02-14 14:56, Mark Warner wrote:
>>
>> My God, what a clusterfsck. Bottom line seems to be that without the OEM
>> specific recovery media, you're shit outta luck.
>
> I had thought this was always the case on OEM machines. If you wanted to
> reinstall from regular retail media, you needed a retail product key.
>
> Hmm, actually, it looks like W7 didn't have this restriction. So it is
> strange that they would bring it back for W8. Maybe they didn't, but
> still make the .iso hard to obtain for some silly reason.

The W7 ISOs from Digital River have worked for me on numerous occasions
with OEM keys from the sticker.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/14/2014 11:58:02 PM
On 02/14/2014 06:23 PM, NFN Smith wrote:

> The expectation seems to be that if you have an unbootable drive, press
> whatever key combination to get it to start from the recovery partition,
> and then go about rebuilding/restoring from there.

Nice in theory...

> Unfortunately, that doesn't account for a HD that's hosed badly enough
> that you can't get to the recovery partition, whether corrupt data
> (especially Master Boot Record), or hardware failure of the drive hardware.

That was the situation with my niece's machine -- the file system was
completely corrupted, and the built in recovery wouldn't even launch.
Apparently with my coworker's machine, the recovery will launch, but
doesn't complete either the refresh or repair options.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/15/2014 12:08:02 AM
On 2014-02-14 4:43 PM, no nym wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 17:23:13 -0400, Mark Cross wrote:
>

> Both those solutions will work on machines which can be booted
> successfully. If it won't boot, those tools will not be able to track down
> the product key.

When ever I have recovered a machine from the recovery partition, the
product key was installed with the recovery. No activation necessary
when the recovery was complete.
--
Fishbate = brucef when replying
0
Fishbate
2/15/2014 12:11:54 AM
On 2014-02-14 4:57 PM, Mark Warner wrote:
> On 2/14/2014 4:43 PM, Sam Schinke wrote:
>> On 2014-02-14 13:19, Mark Cross wrote:
>>> Mark Warner was heard to say :

>>> As is now usual, Mark. Try:
>>> http://www.intowindows.com/windows-8-product-key-viewer/
>>
>> Probably not much use without a running install, however. :(

> No kidding.
>
> We're talking about home users (teenagers -- gotta have Windows for
> school they say) who never made a recovery disk, never saved any of the
> documentation, nothin' -- just fired it up and went straight to
> Facebook. It's not like they could be expected to record the key.

The key is not required when recovering form the recovery partition.
--
Fishbate = brucef when replying
0
Fishbate
2/15/2014 12:12:55 AM
On 02/14/2014 07:12 PM, Fishbate wrote:
> On 2014-02-14 4:57 PM, Mark Warner wrote:
>>
>> We're talking about home users (teenagers -- gotta have Windows for
>> school they say) who never made a recovery disk, never saved any of the
>> documentation, nothin' -- just fired it up and went straight to
>> Facebook. It's not like they could be expected to record the key.
>
> The key is not required when recovering form the recovery partition.

 From what I can gather, the built in recovery mechanism is failing as well.

No matter, I've told him I can't help him beyond having him get the OEM
recovery disks and hope they work.

As should be obvious from the tenor of my posts today, my frustration
and disgust have been rising as more has been revealed. I'm the
neighborhood hack that people come to when their computers are hosed. I
fix them for half what they would be charged elsewhere, usually in 24
hours. At a minimum, it looks like those who need a reinstall are going
to have to shell out for the recovery media and wait several days, in
addition to paying my modest fees. Throw Secure Boot into the mix --
which puts up obstacles of its own when trying to use bootable disks for
data recovery and the like -- and the prospect of continuing to be able
to provide quick, economical service looks grim.

When my 17 year old niece dumped her W8 laptop on me a year ago with the
exact same type of problems, she couldn't be bothered with ordering the
recovery media as I directed or buying a W7 OEM disk from TigerDirect as
I suggested. I got tired of tripping over it waiting on her to do
something, so it ended up being returned to her with a load of Linux
Mint. Mean ol' Uncle Mark could get away with that, but I don't know
that I could do it on a regular basis. My coworker actually has an old
beater desktop that I gave with with a load of MEPIS 11, and he loves
it. But he says the wife and kids absolutely must have their Windows.
Otherwise he'd have had me load it up with Linux a long time ago.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
2/15/2014 12:57:51 AM
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 19:57:51 -0500, Mark Warner wrote:

(SNIP)

> But he says the wife and kids absolutely must have their Windows.
> Otherwise he'd have had me load it up with Linux a long time ago.

Install XP. It's a nice, stable OS, and soon there will be no more
system-trashing updates to worry about.

--
no nym
0
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 23:19:21 +0000, AlanD wrote:

> Mark Warner wrote:

>> Of course, all they need to do is claim the user should have made the
>> recovery disks during the initial setup, and if they're not available then
>> you're on your own... and round and round and round we go.

> I bought a new Compaq laptop from Currys/PC World (UK) last year. That did
> not come with any disks, and the shop offered to sell me a set for �20. I
> declined, knowing that there would be a "Create Recovery disk" option.
> However when I got the machine home and checked it, I found that the shop
> had already created a set of disks for this machine, and it is
> (theoretically) a one chance option.

So it was actually a secondhand machine. Contact your local trading
standards people, cause those creeks some nuisance.

--
no nym
0
Danny wrote:

> "John" <Invalid@invalid.com> wrote in news:ldlat9$2qid$1@news.grc.com:
>
> > AlanD wrote:
> >

> If you have a retail version, you can make your own iso.

That sounds good.  I've never done anything like that though, so is
there a clearly written article somewhere that gives directions?

Would the ISO be equivalent to a slipstream version, or does that
option even apply to using Windows 8.1?

Sorry, this is an area that I don't have any experience in because I've
been fortunate to not run into the type of problem the OP had.  With
8.1 I chose the retail version in large part for the ability to
re-install the O/S without hassle and avoid licensing issues whenever I
upgraded my pc.  The ISO idea was something I've only looked into a bit
when thinking about Linux or with VMs.
0
John
2/15/2014 1:51:00 PM
no nym was heard to say :

> If it won't boot, those tools will not be able to track down
> the product key.

Then maybe this will work:
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-recover-windows-78-product-key-from-unbootable-drive/

Of course, that process is based on reading the product key from the
hard disk UEFI boot partition. If the disk is clean or erased, this
procedure will not work as there is no information to read.

The notion that the key is stored in BIOS is incorrect, it is stored
in the disk UEFI.

--
Mark Cross @ 02/15/2014 2:31 p.m.
I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours.

0
Mark
2/15/2014 6:38:59 PM
On 2014-02-14 7:57 PM, Mark Warner wrote:

These are the reasons that I work on very few home computers any more.
When I do, I charge a modest fee for a reload, but data recovery or
repairing their botched OS is going to cost them. I charge according to
the frustration level of the fix, not the time spent on it.

--
Fishbate = brucef when replying
0
Fishbate
2/19/2014 9:38:24 PM
On 02/19/2014 04:38 PM, Fishbate wrote:
> On 2014-02-14 7:57 PM, Mark Warner wrote:
>=20
> These are the reasons that I work on very few home computers any more. =

> When I do, I charge a modest fee for a reload, but data recovery or=20
> repairing their botched OS is going to cost them. I charge according to=
=20
> the frustration level of the fix, not the time spent on it.

Kinda my approach as well. I don't charge $XX/hr -- I charge what I=20
think the job is worth, based on how badly fscked up it was (and how=20
long they had let it go in that state before contacting me), how deep I=20
had to get into my toolbox, and how much of a PITA they are about saving =

all their precious stuff -- that wasn't precious enough to back up.

That said, I charge a fair price, one that satisfies me and is still=20
less than what they would pay anywhere else. They also get a fully=20
serviced machine. When I'm done with it, everything is fully updated,=20
all the included apps are made current, the old unused trialware and=20
crapware from printer install disks and all that kind of junk is=20
removed, unneeded browser addons are removed, the disk is optimized with =

MyDefrag, etc. When I'm done, there's really nothing else that *could*=20
be done.

Here's an example of a job I did just yesterday night for a lady in my=20
neighborhood. From my work order/invoice:

HP G56 laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Computer presented as =93slow=94, running poorly, won't defrag, etc.
Initial inspection found no indication of severe malware infection,
    PUP infection and browser hijacking in evidence.

Installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, ran Quick Scan =96 17 PUP objects=20
removed.
Ran MBAM Full Scan =96 no further objects detected.
Updated Java as prompted.
Updated Adobe Reader as prompted.
Ran AdwCleaner =96 numerous files and registry entries detected and remov=
ed.
Ran JRT (JunkwareRemovalTool) =96 several remaining objects detected and =

removed.
Installed CCleaner cleanup utility =96 2077MB junk removed, 896 registry =

issues fixed.
Installed Microsoft Security Essential anti-virus application. No=20
objects detected on initial scan.
Removed Comcast Desktop Software.
Removed Yahoo BrowserPlus.
Removed Yahoo Software Update.
Removed Yahoo Toolbar.
Removed FestiveBar.
Removed SmileyCentral.
Removed Spybot Search & Destroy Tea Timer.
Re-ran CCleaner =96 30MB junk removed, 69 additional registry issues fixe=
d.
Installed MyDefrag disk optimizer application =96 ran Monthly script.

Machine now boots to Desktop in 40 seconds, tray fully populated at 55=20
seconds.

--=20
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318
=2E..lose .inhibitions when replying

0
Mark

Buying a new Windows 8.1 laptop with Windows 8.1 installed
When buying a new laptop from one of the major manufacturers, like Dell or Lenovo, with Windows 8.1 installed, is it possible to set it up with just a Local Account and not a Microsoft Account? -- Chris On 11/2/2013 11:28 AM, Chris wrote: > When buying a new laptop from one of the major > manufacturers, like Dell or Lenovo, with Windows 8.1 > installed, is it possible to set it up with just a Local > Account and not a Microsoft Account? Yes, look here; http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-change-to-a-local-account-in-windows-81/ On 11/2/201...

Errors using hotmail after latest major update: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061025 Firefox/1.5.0.8
Name: William Green Email: wjgreen_at_hotmail.com Product: Firefox Summary: Errors using hotmail after latest major update: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061025 Firefox/1.5.0.8 Comments: After I installed the latest update and rebooted, every time I go to open an email in hotmail.com (this does NOT occur in other email sites I use), I get the following three Alert messages that I have to click through to get to my email: [object XPCNativeWrapper [object HTMLBodyElement]] [object XPCNativeWrapper [object HTMLScriptElement]] TypeError: d...

Windows 7 v. Windows 8
Confused about these two and need advice. Is Windows 8 primarily a "tablet" system? If it is then when I do a new system build shouldn't I use Windows 7 for my "desktop"? Thank you, Jay On 1/20/2013 11:07 AM, Jay wrote: > Confused about these two and need advice. > Is Windows 8 primarily a "tablet" system? > If it is then when I do a new system build shouldn't I use > Windows 7 for my "desktop"? After working with Win8 for a while I can confirm that it isn't as bad as some who haven't learned it think it is...

Bug with gmail in version Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; fr; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
Name: IVORRA Philippe Email: adminatornoxdotfr Product: Firefox Summary: Bug with gmail in version Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; fr; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 Comments: window.jstiming is undefined using google maps. Detected error is: Erreur : window.jstiming is undefined Fichier Source : http://maps.google.com/intl/fr_ALL/mapfiles/152d/maps2.api/main.js Ligne : 1115 Maps can't be displayed, it's run with others version of firefox and all othres browsers. Best regards Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windo...

User migration from Windows eDir 8.7.1 to SLES 10 eDir 8.8.2
Hi I am migrating users from our old eDirectory tree with iChain to a new tree with NAM 3.0. Is there any way I can migrate the users from my old tree with the passwords to the new tree (I am willing to use other tools)? If I use ice to export the users, the passwords are not exported into the LDIF file. Thanks in advance. -- asl123 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hi, There are two options I can think of: 1, You are not building a new tree, but adding the new server into the existing tree and then remove the old...

Windows service and PBT_APMSUSPEND message in Windows 8
Greetings, We have a big problem in windows 8 on a tablet. There is a new state named connected standby. Some features of our windows service don't work properly in this state and we need to know when the system goes to this state. In older windows it worked with the Forms::Application->HookMainWindow function and we got the suspend message (resume message works). In desktop applications there is the RegisterSuspendResumeNotification function to enable the application to receive the PBT_APMSUSPEND message. But this doesn't work in a windows service. Could anybody help us to sol...

eDir 8.8 or 8.8.1
--____PFHXATGSAXOEYDMZASIM____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Fri, 2 Nov 2006 04:58:20 -0600" Hello all, I always seem to not get this right. I am always confused about what = means what. I think it changes too much. Is eDir 8.8.1 really eDir 8.8 sp1 or is there an 8.8.1? I have 8.8 sp1 and am wondering if I need to upgrade to 8.8.1? Tom --____PFHXATGSAXOEYDMZASIM____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____IHFBHLEKCBLIDCAIXTDG____" ...

Windows 8 Already Cooking, Beyond Windows 7
Windows 7 Release Candidate is at most a couple of months away, with April 2009 as deadline, while the RTM could be reached within half a year, as early as August, but Microsoft is looking beyond the next iteration of the Windows platform. That's right, Windows 8 is already cooking over in Redmond, with the software giant having kicked off the development process of Windows 7's successor even last year, in 2008. Of course, Microsoft will only admit to the fact that it is in the planning stages of Windows 8, and with the Windows 7 work in full swing as the operating system...

XE2 in Windows 8 works better than Windows 7 ?
I upgraded my machine to Windows 8 over the weekened, and my Delphi XE2 started behaving properly for the first time in ages. Yes - I've reinstalled Windows 7 4 times on each of 2 computers over the last couple of years, XE2 installed fresh - and I am always having issues with the JIT compilers in the editor. Upgraded to Windows 8 - and suddenly 99% of the JIT issues I have had just vanished. Any ideas why this might be the case ? > {quote:title=Christopher Burke wrote:}{quote} > Upgraded to Windows 8 - and suddenly 99% of the JIT issues I have had just > van...

How to use Microsoft Games from Windows 7 in Windows 8
I was more than a little ticked off when after installing Win8 to find that Solitaire, Chess, Hearts, etc were no longer there. They won't run if copied over either. You can go and DL new versions free but they are ad driven. You can buy versions that won't display ads but to me this was a lotta BS. Here's a fix so the Win7 games will run under Win8. http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/33214-How-to-use-Microsoft-Games-from-Windows-7-in-Windows-8 ...

Windows 7 --> Windows 8: Cannot use profile
I just installed Windows 8 on a separate partition on my laptop and copied my profile over and get an error. Do I have to do something else to transfer the profile over? Once I have it working in Windows 8 and delete the profile from my Windows 7 partition (need free space) can I have Windows 7 use the profile stored in the Windows 8 partition (or could I have it stored on my Data/Files partition)? miked@tecknoquest.com wrote: > I just installed Windows 8 on a separate partition on my laptop and copied > my profile over and get an error. > > Do I have to do somethin...

Windows 8 metropolis application shows 2 windows
After creating my first Windows 8 metropolis application I have just succeded in creating a live tile for the Start-screen. But I come across two problems when I run it from the Start-window: 1) Somehow there are two windows: One window with what it looks like a native Windows application containing my forms and another application containing the blank maximized live tile info. The second window responds to the close mouse gesture (grab the top of screen and down), my application window does not. 2) I'm having trouble closing the application even though I use the Terminate-command. ...

windows 8 + windows 7 + opensuse 11.4 multiboot
Hi Is it possible to add Windows 8 to grub menu options?? thanks -- nuno_oliveira ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nuno_oliveira;2385439 Wrote: > Hi > > Is it possible to add Windows 8 to grub menu options?? > > thanks Have not tried it, but it seem most likely. All we need to know is where it's installed Or you could use this 'updategrub for openSUSE Legacy Grub (not update-grub!)' (http://tinyurl.com/3zrjq5g) -- Box: 11.4 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM L...

unable to reinstall bugzilla on windows with perl 5.8.8
Hi all, I 've installed the Perl Activestate 5.10 and had to deisnstall after , bec= ause some Perl add-on=C2=A0 for Bugzilla are not present for this Perl vers= ion So, I de-install 5.10 and install 5.8 , but=C2=A0 if I try to launch perl checksetu.pl=20 I had this error This application failed to start because Perl510.dll was not found Have some one any idea ? thanks in advance babata =0A=0A=0A ____________________________________________________________= _________________ =0AEnvoyez avec Yahoo! Mail. Une boite mail plus intellig= ente http://mail.yahoo....

Web resources about - ISOs for Windows 8 - grc.techtalk

The Windows Blog

Windows 10 November update was pulled for forgetting privacy settings; it’s now back
The mystery behind the removal of the Windows 10 November Update , version 1511, has been revealed. Last week Microsoft received reports that, ...

Microsoft confirms the Windows 10 November Update WAS pulled and this is why
Over the weekend we spotted that the Windows 10 November Update (aka Threshold 2) had been removed from the Media Creation Tool (MCT), and had ...

Microsoft Black Friday deals that Windows 10 fans will love
Microsoft’s Black Friday offer includes discounts on several devices and also a special sale on digital products available from its content store. ...

Windows at 30: Microsoft’s biggest blunders
Windows at 30: Microsoft’s biggest OS goofs Image by Johnathan Nightingale via Flickr In the high-stakes, high-paced world of tech, surviving ...

Xiaomi’s latest iPad mini clone runs Android or Windows 10
... it has a neat trick up its sleeve. The 7.9-inch Mi Pad 2, which would look right at home in the Apple Store, can run either Android or Windows ...

Turkish Consulate in Moscow Was Stoned and Had Bottles Thown Through It’ Windows
Over five hundred people gathered at Turkish embassy in Moscow to protest and throw stones, bottles, paint cans and even eggs into the building ...

Media Creation Tool Succumbs to Windows 10 Update
In the November update, an alternate Windows 10 installation method is pulled while some users complain about disappearing software.