Install win 7 over XP

I still have one computer running XP.  I also have a copy of Win 7. Is
it possibe to install 7 over XP?  Not a regulay windos user, 99% Linux
so not up on the details of Windows.  TIA

0
Bob

Bob Bloggs wrote:
> I still have one computer running XP.  I also have a copy of Win 7. Is
> it possibe to install 7 over XP?  Not a regulay windos user, 99% Linux
> so not up on the details of Windows.  TIA

No. you cannot 'upgrade to Win7 from WinXP.  It demands a new install.
So. split the partition and install Win7, and have best of both worlds
until March 2014...

--
LWB
Retired & Retarded   or   Retarded & Retired
On 11/02/2013 06:18 PM, LWBone wrote:
> Bob Bloggs wrote:
>> I still have one computer running XP.  I also have a copy of Win 7. Is
>> it possibe to install 7 over XP?  Not a regulay windos user, 99% Linux
>> so not up on the details of Windows.  TIA
>>
> No. you cannot 'upgrade to Win7 from WinXP.  It demands a new install.
> So. split the partition and install Win7, and have best of both worlds
> until March 2014...

It's not like XP is going to self destruct or anything. It just won't
receive any further security updates. No reason not to keep using it as
long as you keep the common infection vectors updated (Flash, Java,
etc.) and use some sense.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
<mhwarner.inhibitions@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 11/02/2013 06:18 PM, LWBone wrote:
>> Bob Bloggs wrote:
>>> I still have one computer running XP.  I also have a copy of Win 7. Is
>>> it possibe to install 7 over XP?  Not a regulay windos user, 99% Linux
>>> so not up on the details of Windows.  TIA
>>>
>> No. you cannot 'upgrade to Win7 from WinXP.  It demands a new install.
>> So. split the partition and install Win7, and have best of both worlds
>> until March 2014...
>
>It's not like XP is going to self destruct or anything. It just won't
>receive any further security updates. No reason not to keep using it as
>long as you keep the common infection vectors updated (Flash, Java,
>etc.) and use some sense.

Thanks Mark. After furthur thought I think I will keep it as it is. It
is mainly used with a werther station as part of (CWOP) Citizen
Weather Observer Program.  It communicates wireless with the station
which is mounted in the back yard.  Every five minuts is sends out the
collocted data to three location where is is combined with the other
reporting stations.  I have no fear of infections from those
connections.
0
Bob
11/3/2013 1:31:42 AM
On 03/11/13 01:31, Bob Bloggs wrote:

> ... After furthur thought I think I will keep it as it is. It
> is mainly used with a werther station as part of (CWOP) Citizen
> Weather Observer Program.  It communicates wireless with the station
> which is mounted in the back yard.  Every five minuts is sends out the
> collocted data to three location where is is combined with the other
> reporting stations.  I have no fear of infections from those
> connections.

Just for your information, dare I say it, you can upgrade to Win 8 Pro
from XP. It's actually a cheap way of obtaining Win 8. If you keep to
working from the desktop instead of the "metro" tablet interface it's
not too difficult to use, although you'll probably gasp at what they've
done to us desktop users.

There are certain processor requirements but you can check compatibility
by running their upgrade assistant. However if XP still fits the job and
you're not surfing the internet it makes sense to stick with XP.

--
Russell
0
Russell Gadd wrote:

> On 03/11/13 01:31, Bob Bloggs wrote:
> >
> > ... After furthur thought I think I will keep it as it is. It
> > -- snipped --
> >
> Just for your information, dare I say it, you can upgrade to Win 8
> Pro from XP. It's actually a cheap way of obtaining Win 8. If you
> -- snipped --

I would note one additional kink in the upgrade route.  I run WinXP
Pro, 32-bit.  I am switching to Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.  My research
concluded that there is no direct upgrade available from WinXP 32-bit
to Windows 8 (or 8.1) 64-bit O/S.  There is (or was) a direct upgrade
from 32-bit to 32-bit and presumably 64-bit to 64-bit.  Just in case it
makes a difference in your decision.

John
0
John
11/3/2013 2:05:42 PM
On 03/11/13 14:05, John wrote:

> I would note one additional kink in the upgrade route.  I run WinXP
> Pro, 32-bit.  I am switching to Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.  My research
> concluded that there is no direct upgrade available from WinXP 32-bit
> to Windows 8 (or 8.1) 64-bit O/S.  There is (or was) a direct upgrade
> from 32-bit to 32-bit and presumably 64-bit to 64-bit.  Just in case it
> makes a difference in your decision.
>
> John

Well I've done just that. I had an upgrade DVD (Win 8 not 8.1) bought
from Amazon (both 32 and 64 bit DVDs supplied) with one key. Installed
it a clean partition with 32 bit XP in another partition so the
installation can recognise it is doing a genuine upgrade. If your PC is
capable of 64 bit I don't see how MS would be concerned if you went from
32 to 64.

Later on I downloaded the 8.1 iso and did another clean install since
the upgrade 8 to 8.1 in situ failed - seems there's lots of reports of
such failed upgrades. There's info on the web re adding a small text
file ei.cfg (I used a USB to install the iso) which allows you to skip
entry of the key when installing - otherwise a win8 key rather than 8.1
key is not accepted (Ask MS why not - I don't know as it's a free
upgrade). Then you just activate later after installation which accepts
the win8 key.

Seems like MS is making life difficult for odd reasons. One thing I read
is that if you've got XP 32 bit they'd rather you buy a new tablet PC -
presumably trying to keep the vendors happy? But if so sounds a risky
strategy as a new purchase is a clean slate and maybe we'd go Apple or
Chromebook, etc.

--
Russell
0
Russell Gadd wrote:

> On 03/11/13 14:05, John wrote:
> >
> > I would note one additional kink in the upgrade route.  I run WinXP
> > Pro, 32-bit.  I am switching to Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.  My research
> > concluded that there is no direct upgrade available from WinXP
> > 32-bit to Windows 8 (or 8.1) 64-bit O/S.  There is (or was) a
> > direct upgrade from 32-bit to 32-bit and presumably 64-bit to
> > 64-bit.  Just in case it makes a difference in your decision.
> >
> > John
> >
> Well I've done just that. I had an upgrade DVD (Win 8 not 8.1) bought
> from Amazon (both 32 and 64 bit DVDs supplied) with one key.
> Installed it a clean partition with 32 bit XP in another partition so
> the installation can recognise it is doing a genuine upgrade. If your
> --snipped--
>

> Seems like MS is making life difficult for odd reasons. One thing I
> --snipped--

I must disagree in part - not about Microsoft making things hard
because it does.  I said no DIRECT upgrade route from 32-bit to 64-bit.
Microsoft would not allow a direct UPGRADE from WinXP 32-bit to Win 8
64-bit.  I specifically checked that possibility when MS released
Windows 8 last year, and it was not possible.  One could always make a
clean, fresh install of Win 8.  Microsoft does not interfere with that
AFAIK.

And when I say direct upgrade, I mean specifically installing Windows 8
to replace Windows XP with no intermediate steps be it dual boot or
WinXP -> Windows 7 -> Windows 8.  I possibly could have upgraded WinXP
to Windows 7 and then upgraded that Windows 7, but that is not a direct
upgrade IMO, and I was not and am still not interested in that path
though I may change my mind about dual booting depending if I get cold
feet about Windows 8.1

Thus, in my case anyway, I will perform a clean install of Windows 8.1.
I bought the retail edition because I want the option to move the O/S
to a new computer or upgrade/add new hardware in my pc without MS
licensing creating problems for me.
0
John
11/5/2013 2:18:56 PM
On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 15:18:52 -0700, LWBone <LWB@blackholespam.net>
wrote:

>Bob Bloggs wrote:
>> I still have one computer running XP.  I also have a copy of Win 7. Is
>> it possibe to install 7 over XP?  Not a regulay windos user, 99% Linux
>> so not up on the details of Windows.  TIA
>>
>No. you cannot 'upgrade to Win7 from WinXP.  It demands a new install.
>So. split the partition and install Win7, and have best of both worlds
>until March 2014...

Thanks for the reply.  I thought that would be the answer.  So I will
install Linux in a dual boot configuration and hang on to the XP till
I can replace the XP apps with Linux apps.
0
Bob

Migrating Eudora 7 from Win XP to Win 7 64
I run Eudora 7 on my current Win XP machine. I'm getting a new Win Pro 64bit computer and want to install Eudora 7 on my new computer and move all of the old Eudora data from the Win XP to the Win 7 computer. I've searched and read, but I haven't found anything that lays out a step-by-step procedure for doing this. I've read that Win 7 won't let you store programs and writable data in the Program Files folder and found several (none of them crystal clear to me) workarounds. I read one fix that said if Eudora is installed in another file - for example C:\My Ut...

Help needed: Can Not get 7.1 to work after new Win XP install!!
Hi, had to reinstall XP due to motherboard failure. Had NS 7.1 working perfectly before crash, did not have Mozilla (1.x) installed. I re-installed XP into the same xp dir, it created new user dirs. and app data directory for administrator (me). Was not (smart enough) to save the old 'app data' mozilla/7.1 profile/dirs before re-installing 7.1 on top of original pre-crash dir (not in XP partition), so it overwrote my hard work in organizing bookmarks!. Now it appears that 7.1 installs, but it does not execute (no portion - profile, nav, mail,...). I then moved/ren...

iFolder 2.7.1 win 7 Install
When I install iFolder on Windows 7 the following error appears: Failed to access NifFltr.sys Re-install application Does anyone have a solution to this error? -- mhardrick ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mhardrick;1939958 Wrote: > When I install iFolder on Windows 7 the following error appears: > > Failed to access NifFltr.sys > Re-install application > > Does anyone have a solution to this error? Not sure but you can use the 3.8 client and it should work. 3.8 is the only client that really integr...

Tmaskedit acts differently on win xp and win 7
Using tmaskedit for socsec input. On win xp clicking in component highlights entire 9 char, in win7 enviornment only 1st 3 light up. Usiing delphi 2010 with advantage 11.1 db. ...

Tabs on top saves screen space on Win 7 but not Win XP
I upgraded to FireFox 4 on both my home laptop (Windows 7 64-bit Home "premium") and my work computer (Windows XP 32-bit "professional"). The new feature "tabs on top" allows the tabs to use the same vertical space as the new Firefox menu button on the Win7 machine, but on WinXP, the tabs go below that button so I don't recover any vertical space. Is this an OS limitation of XP? Or can I somehow get the space back. By the way I really like the new look which seems to do a good job of getting more screen space for browsing. The new widescreen m...

Win 7 and XP
I did a clean install of Win7 64 on a seerate partition and it activated fine. When I start up machine it only boots into XP, it gives no other otptions. Using a recovery boot disk for xp shows the other os and lets me boot into it. Both bootini files only show its own OS. Can someone recomend a boot manager that will show both OS's at startup. Do you think MS did not put a boot loader option on the WIN7 as it was supposed to be an upgrade, as it did with the RC and Beta versions. I cant see my earlier post? "Steve" <Me@excite.com> wrote in message news:Xns9C...

Installation on Win Xp
I am a complete novice here. I need to install ASP.net on a win xp, home edition, service pack 2 system. Do i need any additional downloads apart from the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 & Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition? Any help is appreciated. :) That's all you need.  XP Home won't run IIS, but you can use the internal server in VWD just fine. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

XP or Win 7?
How many of you have upgraded to Win 7 from XP? I decided it was time and bought me a 3 user home upgrade of Win7 since I was reloading by good ole trusty Dell desktop, my notebook came with Vista but downgraded to XP so I might put it on there. Is it me but for work related stuff for those who HAVE to stay with a MS Win workstation solution, I'm not seeing the reason to upgrade at work other than the fact that MS is ending support for XP? Support for XP is not being discontinued. Only for SP2 not SP3. SP3 Support is continuing for a while yet. Win7 should be a l...

installation on win xp home
just wondering if the express version is support to be installed on windows xp home edition(sp2), tried several times, always had errors.   thanks  yes you can install any version of .net on XP prof edition with sp2...what are the errors tht you get??Amit Malhotrahttp://www.learnlinq.blogspot.com/ Thanks but what i've got is xp home edition Install Framework then tried.With Regards,Kaushik ChoudhurySoftware Engineer"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." Hi, I guess you want to insert Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition or V...

Installing openSUSE with win 7
Hi everybody i don't know wheather i am posting in right place or not?please forgive me after downloading th 4.3 Gb .iso openSUSE 11.4 i found that i cant install it beside my window lol! ,i have trouble with greating a suitable partition for openSUSE . my problem is that i have three primary partitions and also three partitions ,and softwares don't allow me to create a ext4 and a swap partition for this guy ,i wanna know can any body give me a solution????????????:) -- hadi0x7c7 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Al...

Installing Sunbird on Win/XP ?
I must be missing an installation step... I download the latest Sunbird for Windows, receive a .zip file. I unpack it and then [what should I do ?]. The collection of files includes sunbird.exe but just clicking on it doe nothing. Is there another step ? Setup ? I need to do first ? There ins't much documentation with it ... Regards Gershon ...

Install on Win XP Pro.
Installing the latest 2.18 version seemed to go OK especially using Byron Jones' guide (excellent) however when I go to http://localhost/ IIS 5.1 pops up saying my web service is now running. I did change the listen variable from 80 but not sure how to fix. Any ideas? > Installing the latest 2.18 version seemed to go OK especially using > Byron Jones' guide (excellent) however when I go to http://localhost/ > IIS 5.1 pops up saying my web service is now running. I did change the > listen variable from 80 but not sure how to fix. you'll need to specify th...

Installation on 64bit Win 7
Name: Ranjan Email: silkmazeatt-onlinedotde Product: Firefox Summary: Installation on 64bit Win 7 Comments: I use Windows 7 64 bit that came with my new Toshiba laptop. My only browser for the last few years has been FF, that includes running it on my main work horse - OpenSuse linux PC. I downloaded and installed FF (32bit) without any problems. On the very last screen of the installation process there is a box that can be checked if Ff should be started immediately. I checked that and finished the installation. Withing a few seconds, I got a popup informing me that FF ...

Installing DNN in Win XP
Hi, I just want to learn DNN. Can I install it under Win XP SP2 and SQL 2005? Is IIS6 a must? I have IIS5.1 only.   Regards, Pavanaja Yes you can install it under your current configuration. Make sure you download and read the documentation first.Do you know the truth when you hear it? I Think You should be just fine. The worst is you can uninstall DNN or upgrade you IIS. I installed it on two kinds of machines this week:Win XP Professional SP2 / IIS 5.1Windows 2000 Server / IIS 5.0...

Web resources about - Install win 7 over XP - grc.techtalk

Facebook Asks Users To Install Messenger For Windows
Just days after officially rolling out Messenger for Windows , Facebook has begun prompting people to install the application. Some Facebook ...

New ways to reach the right people with mobile app install ads
Since we launched mobile app install ads six months ago, we have added several new features to improve the product for users and developers. ...

Facebook Director of Product Management Doug Purdy discusses Parse, Mobile App Install Ads
... discussed about mobile app discovery difficulties faced by developers. He discussed how developers can use the platform to drive app installations ...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Drives Installs of Star Wars Apps
... Wars: The Force Awakens in theaters on downloads of Star Wars-themed apps on iOS and Android. AppsFlyer analyzed over one million app installs ...

Vermont utility says it will be the first to install Tesla powerwalls in the US
... Power) Customers of Green Mountain Power (GMP) in Vermont will be the first in the US to have Tesla Powerwall stationary batteries installed ...

How to install iOS 9.3 and get Night Shift on your iPhone without a developer account
... as earth-shattering either, but there's little question that they have users excited. And as has been the case in the past, you can install ...

11 3D Touch apps to install today
Appleā€™s 3D Touch is an important step forward in mobile user interfaces. If you use an iPhone 6S you see it in action when you press a name in ...

Install these battery-killing, storage-hogging apps at your own risk
[/caption] The latest quarterly report from antivirus company AVG has outed the battery-killingest, storage-hoggingest apps currently available. ...