How to use net use?

Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly?

I have read the help but can't seem to get it to work.  Keep getting sytax
error message.

Thanks in advance.
0
Beowulf

"Beowulf" <who-knows@no-one.com> wrote in message
> Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly?
>
> I have read the help but can't seem to get it to work.  Keep getting sytax
> error message.

what are you trying to do?  There are about 50 options to "net use" that do
a ton of different things.

ws
0
maus743
8/8/2001 6:04:00 PM
"Beowulf" <who-knows@no-one.com> wrote in message
> Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly?
>
> I have read the help but can't seem to get it to work.  Keep getting sytax
> error message.

What's the syntax of the command that is giving you problems?
0
Philip
8/8/2001 6:10:00 PM
i am trying to conect to another ip useing net use and map there c dive to
my x drive, where x is a currently unsed drive.
0
Beowulf
8/8/2001 6:11:00 PM
> i am trying to conect to another ip useing net use and map there c dive to
> my x drive, where x is a currently unsed drive.

What does the machine share that C drive as?  The IP you're talking about is
running some variant of Windows or Samba, right?

One example would be the machine is an NT/2000 machine, so you could hook up
to the administrative share.  For the C drive, the share name would be "c$"
without the quotes, so the command would be:

net use X: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address you're talking about.  If that
works, then you will most likely be presented with a login dialog in which
you will need to supply a user name and password that has administrative
rights.
0
Philip
8/8/2001 6:27:00 PM
You can also use the GUI form via explorer. Depeneding on your OS it is
usually available under Tools/Map Network Drive. Or you can use the Network
Neighbourhood approach.

If you need to know the cmd line, use windows help from the Start menu. Look
for 'Command Reference' in the index or look for net use.

"Beowulf" <who-knows@no-one.com> wrote in message
> i am trying to conect to another ip useing net use and map there c dive to
> my x drive, where x is a currently unsed drive.

0
Ron
8/8/2001 7:19:00 PM
I am useing win 98 the help file does not say anything about a c$

?
0
Beowulf
8/8/2001 7:26:00 PM
net use does not show up in the index under help unfortunatly.

Thanks for the the explore tip.

for \\computername\foldername  will the ip for the computer name?
0
Beowulf
8/8/2001 7:34:00 PM
Here is the help text.

Net use
Connects a computer to or disconnects a computer from a shared resource, or
displays information about computer connections. The command also controls
persistent net connections.

net use [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume]] [password | *]]
[/user:[domainname\]username] [[/delete] | [/persistent:{yes | no}]]

net use devicename [/home[password | *]] [/delete:{yes | no}]

net use [/persistent:{yes | no}]

Parameters

none

Used without parameters, net use retrieves a list of network connections.

devicename

Assigns a name to connect to the resource or specifies the device to be
disconnected. There are two kinds of device names: disk drives (D: through
Z:) and printers (LPT1: through LPT3:). Type an asterisk instead of a
specific device name to assign the next available device name.

\\computername\sharename

Specifies the name of the server and the shared resource. If computername
contains blank characters, enclose the entire computer name from the double
backslash (\\) to the end of the computer name in quotation marks (" "). The
computer name may be from 1 to 15 characters long.

\volume

Specifies a NetWare volume on the server. You must have Client Service for
NetWare (Windows 2000 Professional) or Gateway Service for NetWare (Windows
2000 Server) installed and running to connect to NetWare servers,

password

Specifies the password needed to access the shared resource.

*

Produces a prompt for the password. The password is not displayed when you
type it at the password prompt.

/user

Specifies a different user name with which the connection is made.

domainname

Specifies another domain. For example, net use d:\\server\share
/user:admin\mariel connects the user identifier mariel as if the connection
were made from the admin domain. If domainname is omitted, the current
logged on domain is used.

username

Specifies the user name with which to log on.

/delete

Cancels the specified network connection. If the user specifies the
connection with an asterisk, all network connections are canceled.

/home

Connects a user to the home directory.

/persistent

Controls the use of persistent network connections. The default is the
setting used last. Deviceless connections are not persistent.

yes

Saves all connections as they are made, and restores them at next logon.

no

Does not save the connection being made or subsequent connections. Existing
connections are restored at the next logon. Use the /delete switch to remove
persistent connections.

> net use does not show up in the index under help unfortunatly.
>
> Thanks for the the explore tip.
>
> for \\computername\foldername  will the ip for the computer name?

0
Ron
8/8/2001 8:24:00 PM
oh dear this all looks really complxed *sobs*

do i have to use all thoses parmiters then before it will work?
0
Beowulf
8/8/2001 9:25:00 PM
> oh dear this all looks really complxed *sobs*
>
> do i have to use all thoses parmiters then before it will work?

Nope.  As posted before, the most generic way to map drives is

net use driveletter: \\servername\sharename

As in:
net use x: \\ntserver\myfiles

ws
0
maus743
8/8/2001 9:46:00 PM
> I am useing win 98 the help file does not say anything about a c$

What's the name of the share on the IP address you are trying to connect to?
0
Philip
8/8/2001 9:59:00 PM
Haven't been watching but why not type it into a text editor (edit.com) save
it as a bat and call it something easy like h.bat for drive h: or
whatever.......

"Philip Sloss" <stuff@lupwa.org> wrote in message
> "Beowulf" <who-knows@no-one.com> wrote in message
> > I am useing win 98 the help file does not say anything about a c$
> >
> What's the name of the share on the IP address you are trying to connect
to?

0
Charlie
8/8/2001 10:04:00 PM
"Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
> Haven't been watching but why not type it into a text editor (edit.com)
save
> it as a bat and call it something easy like h.bat for drive h: or
> whatever.......

Well, what's increasingly odd about this thread is that it started out as
"net use" syntax -- but I'm not sure if that was the real objective.  If the
objective is just to create a connection to a shared drive on a given IP
address, there are easier ways to do that.  Windows will remember the
connections and reconnect them for you on login, too...
0
Philip
8/8/2001 10:15:00 PM
"Beowulf" <who-knows@no-one.com> wrote in message
> Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly?

To save yourself  a lot of bother do a search on the net for a tool called
Legion it does all that you want to do within your GUI. Only prob Is you'll
need to enable Netbios and Install Winsock 2 if you dont already have it.
0
William
8/8/2001 10:16:00 PM
"William UK" <William@will.co.uk> wrote in me
> To save yourself  a lot of bother do a search on the net for a tool called
> Legion it does all that you want to do within your GUI. Only prob Is
you'll
> need to enable Netbios and Install Winsock 2 if you dont already have it.

Or just enable Netbios and click
Start\Find\Computer
Type in
\\IPaddress
And hit the Find now button.
I hope you are'nt up to something dodgy?
0
William
8/8/2001 10:28:00 PM
That's ok, as soon as he enables netbios, the bad guys can find him.

Note: The volume of netbios scans is way up since code-red hit. They are
using it as a smokescreen.

If you do change anything, go to http://grc.com and do a shield check as
well as a full port check.

"William UK" <William@will.co.uk> wrote in message

> "William UK" <William@will.co.uk> wrote in me
> > To save yourself  a lot of bother do a search on the net for a tool
called
> > Legion it does all that you want to do within your GUI. Only prob Is
> you'll
> > need to enable Netbios and Install Winsock 2 if you dont already have
it.

> Or just enable Netbios and click
> Start\Find\Computer
> Type in
> \\IPaddress
> And hit the Find now button.
> I hope you are'nt up to something dodgy?

0
Ron
8/8/2001 11:43:00 PM
"Ron Alexander" <rcalex@home.com> wrote in message
> That's ok, as soon as he enables netbios, the bad guys can find him.

That's very true but he could disable shares on his side or password the lot
while doing what he has to do. Then disable it totally afterwards.
0
William
8/9/2001 12:21:00 AM
That is true, but given the type of questions being asked, I doubt if he
would know to do that.

> "Ron Alexander" <rcalex@home.com> wrote in message
> > That's ok, as soon as he enables netbios, the bad guys can find him.
>
> That's very true but he could disable shares on his side or password the
lot
> while doing what he has to do. Then disable it totally afterwards.

0
Ron
8/9/2001 3:28:00 AM
>I hope you are'nt up to something dodgy?

Well i don't plan on being into anything doggy.  I am just trying to figure
out how things work so i know more about computers and how they work.
0
Beowulf
8/9/2001 10:59:00 AM
>That is true, but given the type of questions being asked, I doubt if he
>would know to do that.

Being Newbie Suxs :)

I really don't have anything spefic in mind other than learning how it
(NetBios) works.
0
Beowulf
8/9/2001 11:04:00 AM
If you really want to learn, go to www.samba.org

Also, you should be aware that netbios and the internet are a major security
issue.

If you want to play, set up a local net.

Good luck (netbios is one of the most complex pieces of software there is)

> >That is true, but given the type of questions being asked, I doubt if he
> >would know to do that.
>
> Being Newbie Suxs :)
>
> I really don't have anything spefic in mind other than learning how it
> (NetBios) works.

0
Ron

Using Using
I have just completed reading a chapter in my book on performance. The books says to speed up performance on your web site you should use the using statement when opening connections. My question is how do you catch errors if you are using this as apposed to a try catch block.thanksBryan  Why would you use it as an alternative to a try/catch statement. Couldn't you just do something like  public void UsingSomeMethod() { try { SomeMethod(); } catch(SomeException e) { /// do something useful }}public void SomeMethod() { using (Something) { ...

When to use ( and when to use ((?
I'm just not getting it. When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is the space after either or both mandatory? For example, I coded this statement: if (( $_ eq $bad_guys_ip )) { more_stuff_here }; Why the two (( in an if? And why does it seem to not work when I miss the space after the ((? Thanx! Mark me as... /Corn-fused|Dense/ > I'm just not getting it. >=20 > When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is > the space after either or both mandatory? >=20 > For example, I coded this sta...

To use or not to use ASP.net
Hi, I'm new to developing of dynamic web pages. Currently doing a website providing data retrieval and updating. I am wondering if ASP.net is suitable for this task If ASP.net is advisable, other than IIS, what else can be used as the host? (Oracle?) Also, if I am currently having an Oracle server, would it be better to use the PL/SQL instead? (Maybe wrong forum to ask, but no harm asking rite?) Hope I am not confusing anyone!  Any help is greatly appreciated! Hi, and welcome to the ASP.NET forums. First of all, yes ASP.NET is a great technology, amongst others, to create dyna...

How to use the arguments to use() in the package being used
Howdy,=20 The subject says it all believe it or not :) What I'm trying to figure out is how to pass an argument=20 (pragma I believe is the proper term) to use() and do=20 sonethign in the package based on it. I've looked at CGI.pm source but can't seem to track it down.=20 (Similar idea as to CGIs -oldstyle_urls -newstyel_urls) http://search.cpan.org/~lds/CGI.pm-3.04/CGI.pm#PRAGMAS What I'd like to do is something like this: # for old time's sake we'll just use our favorite module use Foo::Monkey qw(:Foo :Bar -doamazingthings); #then in Foo::Monkey...

Creating word document using asp.net using vb.net
Hello friends,  I want to create word document dynamically through asp.net using vb.net.Plz send me code for the same. Regrads , Harshala Lad.   To create Word document, you should use binary stream that contains correct format for Word. Then the key point is how do you get the source binary stream with proper format? I know there is a way to store Word documents in SQL as BLOB (binary Large object) and then read the binary stream from database, then write the stream into a Word document. You can take a look at this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1257206.aspxWe...

How to use winsock control in ASP.Net using VB.Net 2003?
I have to use winsock control in my ASP.net application. And don't have any idea to use it in ASP.net, but I have used it previously in VB.Net project. What I did in ASP.net  is-----I added its reference and also added it in toolbox. But it got added in Windows Forms section of toolbox. I dragged winsock control from tool box to a webform and named it as win1, then in code behind(i.e. aspx.vb) I tried to use it by typing win1 then one dot( . ) but it has not given any intellisence.So how could use winsock control in ASP.net.Can any send me link to a dummy project in which wins...

Accessing file twisely using asp.net using VB.Net
Hello Friends, I am new on this group. I have a problem in my functionality. i am using asp.net using vb.net. The pocess is as  a way that I have to send a mail with attachment.I am using Input file type tag control to get Attachment file from directory.After it i am saving attachment file on server folder.After it i am sending file path to attachment function as string.After it attachment is working fine. But after it i want to delete that file from server and when i wrote code  for delete fileas following: File.delete(Path of file) but when runtime start execute this code ...

Using jQuery
What are the advantages of using ScriptReference to include a jQuery source in my .NET pages as opposed to using the regular <script src='jquery.js'></script> method? Thanks.Ryan One advantage of the ScriptManager is that you can use application relative paths (e.g. ~/scripts/jquery.js).On a related note, if you're writing something that will be public facing, you might consider using Google's free CDN hosted version of jQuery. Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.Latest article: How I handle JSON dates returned by ASP.NET AJAX  Thanks for the reply. I act...

what is the use of using our own webservice in asp.net
 hi all, what is the use of using our own web service in asp.net in our site...... Thnk UAshok Ashok Using a webservice would generally be slower than directly accessing the data.  Turning data into xml and back into data again, plus the extra webservice overhead, will slow things down.That said, if you are concerned that the database that you are grabbing data from will change a lot, and that embedding direct data calls into your code could cause you serious maintenance problems, then putting a webservice in the middle might make sense.  Particularly if you w...

How to Send email using System.Net.Mail ,in ASP.NET using c#
Hi dis is suresh,   can any 1 plz tell me, how to send a email using system.net.mail in ASP.Net using c# waiting for ur reply.............. sureshkumar_246: Hi dis is suresh,   can any 1 plz tell me, how to send a email using system.net.mail in ASP.Net using c#  waiting for ur reply.............. you can refer my article http://www.aspsnippets.com/post/Send-Email-using-CSharp.aspxMAKMark as Answer if this reply helps youMVP ASP/ASP.NetASP.Net Hosting : Host DepotMy Site : ASPSnippets Hi Dear, also finds these links for sending email . http://fo...

Using Dot Net Nuke to maintain a site developed in VS.NET using C#
Hi,Does anyone know if there is a way to create a site using C# and Visual Studio.NET 2003, but then use Dot Net Nuke to allow non-technical users to add content to the site.  The current state of the site must be accessible in both VS.NET and DNN regardless of which application saved it last.  Also preferably I would like the language used to remain C# even when edited by the marketing staff, so that I can still maintain it myself using VS.NET.  Hope you understand what I mean. If this is not possible, I wonder if anyone knows what solution I am after.   Thanks in adv...

Large image in a small size with clarity using ASP.NET using C#.net
Hi,  How Can I show Large image in a small size with clarity using ASP.NET using C#.net We should not use two images.   Check this out: http://www.csharp-station.com/Articles/Thumbnails.aspxHanan Schwartzberg--------------------http://www.lionsden.co.il you can create thumbnail og the large image using the following codeprivate Boolean ThumbNailCallBack() {return false; } private void CreateThumbnail(Path) { System.Drawing.Image MyImage = System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(Path)System.Drawing.Image.GetThumbnailImageAbort CallBack = new System.Drawing.Image.GetT...

Receive mails from server use pop3 like Inbox using ASP.net and c#.net
Hi, I want to receive mails from directly from server using pop3 using ASP.net and C#.net , please any one help. Thanks Rajan Friend, check this article how to implement the mail system using the POP3 http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/QMailClient.aspx Good luck!Please Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  We've used a commercial product from Lesnikowski which works really well:http://www.lesnikowski.com/mail/ -- Please Mark Posts that helped you as Answe...

Web resources about - How to use net use? - grc.techtalk

During Planned Parenthood Shooting, a Scene of Fear and Chaos at Nearby ...
New York Times During Planned Parenthood Shooting, a Scene of Fear and Chaos at Nearby ... New York Times COLORADO SPRINGS — The injured man ...

‘Fantastic Beasts’ Stars Afraid To Give Away Spoilers: Here’s What’s Been Revealed So Far
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is currently being filmed in the UK, but they have run into a bit of a snag. It seems that while they ...

It Is Time To Rethink Donald Trump’s Candidacy
From the very beginning of his campaign (and perhaps before), Donald Trump has gathered a following of supporters using his blunt, no-holds-barred ...

Russia should nuke enemy number one Turkey as tensions continue to escalate - Latest News - Breaking ...
RUSSIA is ready to "use nuclear weapons on enemy number one" Turkey, one of the country's leading politicians has announced.

Carson visiting Syrian refugees in Jordan
WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson is in the Middle East this weekend to meet with Syrian refugees.

Pope Francis visits Ugandan shrine amid gay rights debate
Reuters Pope Francis visits Ugandan shrine amid gay rights debate Reuters NAMUGONGO, Uganda Pope Francis traveled to Uganda's holiest shrine ...

Pro tip: Access all your cloud accounts from one location on Android
Tired of navigating between various cloud apps on your Android device? If so, Jack Wallen shows how to centralize all your cloud accounts with ...

White House Christmas Tree Arrives, No One Really Sure When First Presidential Tree Appeared
First lady Michelle Obama received the 2015 Christmas tree at the White House on Friday, according to USA Today . The Fraser fir is said to be ...

Toymaker VTech says data was stolen from its kiddie app store
VTech, the brand best known for its electronic kid's toys and cordless phones, said Friday that hackers had stolen some of its customer data. ...

‘NFL On CBS’ Snags Record Thanksgiving Day Ratings
CBS Sports' Thanksgiving Day matchup of Carolina vs. Dallas (4:31-7:49 PM, ET), was the most-watched Thanksgiving Day game in 20 years for the ...