how to find ip address from mac address?

It happened more than once.
At a customer's office, there is a device with an unknown ip address.
We know its mac address.
The ip address might be different from the network.
For example, the customer's network might be 10.1.0.0/16, whereas that
device might have the ip address 192.168.200.123/24.
For example, it might be a managed switch that has kept its default ip
address. So, it works as a switch, but I cannot manage it.
Apart from a sniffer, is there a (free?) software that can scan the network
and find ip addresses of all hosts, and/or only of those whose mac address
is known and/or specified?
I googled for this, but all software that I found can find ip addresses only
if they are coherent with the network.

Thank You very much and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

0
Rodolfo

On 11/9/2012 6:04 AM, Rodolfo Giovanninetti wrote:
> It happened more than once.
> At a customer's office, there is a device with an unknown ip address.
> We know its mac address.
snip...
> Rodolfo Giovanninetti

How about this for timing? Today (20 more hours as I post this) the site
Giveaway of the Day is offering a free program which, at least at first
glance, should do what you want.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ip-mac-scanner/

I should add that these free programs are sometimes quite good and are
being offered as a publicity gimmick but other times the programs are
simply rubbish that nobody will buy. But for free there is little to lose
beyond a bit of time.

0
John
11/9/2012 12:05:15 PM
"John McGaw" <nobody@nowh.ere> wrote in message
> How about this for timing? Today (20 more hours as I post this) the site
> Giveaway of the Day is offering a free program which, at least at first
> glance, should do what you want.
It is not a matter of timing, it is that seeing that software offering I
remembered that I had to write my message to this forum!
Thank You, but it asks the ip range to scan, so it does not do what I
looking for.
I would like to know if there is a software that broadcasts a message such
as "where is the host with xyz mac address? what's the ip address?".
I am not even sure that it is technically possible to query a machine for
its ip address working at the ethernet level.

Thank You again and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

0
Rodolfo
11/9/2012 1:21:16 PM
You can usually identify the IP by looking at the ARP cache.  Go to a
workstation that connected to the device in question, drop to a command
prompt and type the following
ARP -a

"Rodolfo Giovanninetti" <rodolfo.giovanninetti@numero10.it> wrote in message
> It happened more than once.
> At a customer's office, there is a device with an unknown ip address.
> We know its mac address.
> The ip address might be different from the network.
> For example, the customer's network might be 10.1.0.0/16, whereas that
> device might have the ip address 192.168.200.123/24.
> For example, it might be a managed switch that has kept its default ip
> address. So, it works as a switch, but I cannot manage it.
> Apart from a sniffer, is there a (free?) software that can scan the
> network
> and find ip addresses of all hosts, and/or only of those whose mac address
> is known and/or specified?
> I googled for this, but all software that I found can find ip addresses
> only
> if they are coherent with the network.
>
> Thank You very much and regards
>
> Rodolfo Giovanninetti

0
Renee
11/9/2012 1:53:00 PM
On 09/11/2012 3:04 AM, Rodolfo Giovanninetti wrote:
> It happened more than once.
> At a customer's office, there is a device with an unknown ip address.
> We know its mac address.
> The ip address might be different from the network.
> For example, the customer's network might be 10.1.0.0/16, whereas that
> device might have the ip address 192.168.200.123/24.
> For example, it might be a managed switch that has kept its default ip
> address. So, it works as a switch, but I cannot manage it.
> Apart from a sniffer, is there a (free?) software that can scan the network
> and find ip addresses of all hosts, and/or only of those whose mac address
> is known and/or specified?
> I googled for this, but all software that I found can find ip addresses only
> if they are coherent with the network.

One of the arping implementations available for Linux claims it can do this:
http://www.habets.pp.se/synscan/programs.php?prog=arping

It might not be the default version on your distro, though, as there is
a version of arping that cannot resolve MAC addresses.

There is also something called "rarp", but it seems to be obsolete.

Regards,
Sam
0
Sam
11/9/2012 2:40:40 PM
"Renee Keller" <kellerr13@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You can usually identify the IP by looking at the ARP cache.  Go to a
> workstation that connected to the device in question, drop to a command
> prompt and type the following
> ARP -a
Thank You, but I need to find the ip address for a machine of which I know
only the mac address, Your solution is the opposite.

Thank You anyway and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

0
Rodolfo
11/9/2012 3:49:04 PM
"Sam Schinke" <sschinke@gmail.com> wrote in message

> One of the arping implementations available for Linux claims it can do
> this:
> http://www.habets.pp.se/synscan/programs.php?prog=arping

Thank You very much, it might be what I am looking for!

regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

0
Rodolfo
11/9/2012 3:50:21 PM
How do you know the MAC address?
How do you know that some device has a static IP address that differs from
the subnet to which it is attached?

Presumably this device can not communicate with any other device.
Is this host sending packets to some other host in an attempt to communicate
for some reason?
Are you using a network monitor to record this network traffic?

What are you actually seeing?

0
RichardB
11/9/2012 4:21:52 PM
"RichardB" <rsbroad@noway.com> wrote in message
> How do you know the MAC address?
> How do you know that some device has a static IP address that differs from
> the subnet to which it is attached?
>
> Presumably this device can not communicate with any other device.
> Is this host sending packets to some other host in an attempt to
> communicate
> for some reason?
> Are you using a network monitor to record this network traffic?
>
> What are you actually seeing?

Mine was a generic question.
For example, a customer has a managed switch, so a switch that has its own
network card and its own mac address and its own ip address.
Now, I need to configure it.
The customer does not know the ip address.
It might be still the default.
Or it might be any ip address, that has not been documented.
So, it might be coherent with the network or it might be a totally different
one.
I know the mac address because there is a label on the switch.
So, I can ping and then look at the arp cache, but only in some cases.
For example, if the network is 192.168.200.0/24 I can ping 192.168.200.255
and then use arp -a.
But it does not always work. Even with specific tool that I have tested, I
have seen that they miss many addresses.
And, what happens if the network is 10.0.0.0/8? How many ip addresses should
I ping before finding the right one?
So, I am looking for a tool that given the mac address can query it to find
its ip address.

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

0
Rodolfo
11/9/2012 4:48:54 PM
On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 17:48:54 +0100, "Rodolfo Giovanninetti"
<rodolfo.giovanninetti@numero10.it> wrote:

>And, what happens if the network is 10.0.0.0/8? How many ip addresses should
>I ping before finding the right one?
>So, I am looking for a tool that given the mac address can query it to find
>its ip address.
>
>Thank You and regards
>
>Rodolfo Giovanninetti

If anyone has an ipad and can connect to your network, there is an app
called "fing".  It will lay out the whole network for you.

Terry

0
Terry
11/9/2012 4:59:24 PM
On 11/9/2012 11:59 AM, Terry wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 17:48:54 +0100, "Rodolfo Giovanninetti"
> <rodolfo.giovanninetti@numero10.it> wrote:
>

>> And, what happens if the network is 10.0.0.0/8? How many ip addresses should
>> I ping before finding the right one?
>> So, I am looking for a tool that given the mac address can query it to find
>> its ip address.
>>
>> Thank You and regards
>>
>> Rodolfo Giovanninetti
>>

> If anyone has an ipad and can connect to your network, there is an app
> called "fing".  It will lay out the whole network for you.

"fing" runs on most platforms and I have tried it previously. I don't
think it will find devices on other subnets that are on the same
physical network as described.

> Terry

0
user701
11/9/2012 5:47:28 PM
Terry writes:

> If anyone has an ipad and can connect to your network, there is an
> app called "fing".  It will lay out the whole network for you.

I've used Fing for a few months on my iPhone and iPad. It will do what
the OP wants on WiFi but since iDevices don't have an Ethernet port, I
don't think it would help in this situation. There may a way to bridge
Apple's proprietary 30-pin connector to Ethernet and make it work, but
the documentation makes no mention of any such capability.

--
When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
0
"Vagabond" <.@.> wrote in message news:k7jgds$11i7$1@news.grc.com...
> Terry writes:
>
>> If anyone has an ipad and can connect to your network, there is an
>> app called "fing".  It will lay out the whole network for you.

From the Fing web page.

"...Currently available as a Mobile App (Android and iOS) and Desktop
command-line tool (Windows, OS X, Linux), Fing is free of charge and Ads. We
intend to support more platforms in the future, including a long-awaited
Desktop GUI."

0
John
11/9/2012 7:12:36 PM
On 09/11/12 13:53, Renee Keller wrote:
> You can usually identify the IP by looking at the ARP cache.  Go to a
> workstation that connected to the device in question, drop to a command
> prompt and type the following
> ARP -a

[snip]

There are some other useful commands(by Operating System type) in this
link, which may help?
https://kb.wisc.edu/ns/page.php?id=12364

0
Futuristic
11/9/2012 7:31:03 PM
On the grc.techtalk
from  rodolfo.giovanninetti@numero10.it, Rodolfo Giovanninetti decided to
say:

> I googled for this, but all software that I found can find ip addresses
> only if they are coherent with the network.

A tool to find any computer would need to arp broadcast to the level 2
broadcast address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff and listen for answers.
A tool to ping the MAC broadcast address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff and listen for
broadcast answers simply can not exist. The arp can be sent, but the
computer receiving it needs a level 3 IP to send the answer back to the
requesting computer. So, the best that could be done (in a normal ethernet
network) is to ping on level 2 for a range of addresses, to scan such IP
range.

This is an example of how it may be done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClM2UgQpEPA

Note: I have not used the tool in the video.

> Thank You very much and regards

YW.

--
Mark Cross @ 11/09/2012 3:44 p.m.
Stay the patient course.

0
Mark
11/9/2012 8:07:38 PM
On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:07:38 -0400, Mark Cross wrote:
> A tool to find any computer would need to arp broadcast to the level 2
> broadcast address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff and listen for answers.
> A tool to ping the MAC broadcast address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff and listen
> for broadcast answers simply can not exist. The arp can be sent, but the

> computer receiving it needs a level 3 IP to send the answer back to the
> requesting computer. So, the best that could be done (in a normal
> ethernet network) is to ping on level 2 for a range of addresses, to
> scan such IP range.

Yes, the only way to actively find the address would be to brute force
the whole of the IP4 address space.
That just leaves the passive "sniffer" method (excluded by the OP).
I would use "Wireshark" [1] but I have also used "arpwatch" [2] to
monitor and log a network for a few hours and I can't recall a device
that did not periodically send either an arp request for its own address
or a broadcast arp reply to announce its presence.
Often rebooting the switch will cause it to transmit some data which can
be captured and analysed.
Of course the switch may use bootp or dhcp to get a dynamic address, only
have an IPv6 address, or be managed via a VLAN. :(

[1] http://www.wireshark.org/
[2] A standard package for most Linux distros or from
 http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/

--
dave_k
0
dave_k wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:07:38 -0400, Mark Cross wrote:
>> A tool to find any computer would need to arp broadcast to the level 2
>> broadcast address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff and listen for answers.
>> A tool to ping the MAC broadcast address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff and listen
>> for broadcast answers simply can not exist.
I had a similar problem with a switch once. I knew which one it was, but did
not know what IP address it had stored and did not have the admin password
to check it.

I ran Wire shark, rebooted the switch and got the IP from the ARP packets.

This only works if you know which switch to reboot. It won't necessarily
help if you are trying to trace which device is the problem.

AlanD

0
AlanD
11/10/2012 1:24:41 PM
My keylogger reports, "Rodolfo Giovanninetti"
<rodolfo.giovanninetti@numero10.it>, to have written:

Two things that I vaguely remember from the "Land of the Dreamtime".

1. HP printservers used to use a program (must still be around) that
would scan a network and discover all MAC addresses.. IIRC it would
also disclose any IP associated with the MAC _IF_ the MAC had been
assigned an IP which usually was done through a Telnet procedure.
Unfortunately, I can't locate my copies or remember its name.

2. Perhaps this might suit your needs
http://www.youngzsoft.net/cc-get-mac-address/download.htm
It's evaluation mode (15 day) might be enough.

0
Bazza
11/11/2012 1:48:22 AM
"Rodolfo Giovanninetti" <rodolfo.giovanninetti@numero10.it> wrote in message
> Apart from a sniffer, is there a (free?) software that can scan the
> network
> and find ip addresses of all hosts, and/or only of those whose mac address
> is known and/or specified?
Thank You to everybody that helped me!
Now I have some hints and will test ideas and software that You said.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

0
Rodolfo

Find an IP address having only the MAC address
Hi again, I've been searching google for a while about this issue, but I'm still too confused. My goal is to discover the IP address of the LAN interface of a Cisco 1721 router (it's located at the office where I work). I know the MAC address because it's written in a sticker at the bottom of the router. But I don't know the password to the router admin console :( The router's LAN interface is connected to a Sun workstation that has two NICs (one of them connected to the cisco and the other connected to a 24- port switch). The Sun machine works as a...

IP Address allocation by mac address
Is it possible to give a specific mac address a fixed IP address when it requests an address from the DHCP server? mike.dawson@scarborough.gov.uk schrieb: >Is it possible to give a specific mac address a fixed IP address when it >requests an address from the DHCP server? Yes. Just create an ip-address-object with manual assignment type in the DNS/DHCP management console. Enter the mac-address, unload and reload the dhcpsrvr module and release and renew the address at the workstation. Important: Don�t touch the client identifier field, when creating the object. J...

finding the mac address or physical address
I am writing a web page for internal use. I am trying to find out the physical address of the people that hit my webpage inside our intranet. I know I can get the mac address using external IP address but that isn't what I need. We have IP address such as 10.1.5.107 and I need to know the physical address. Also I can't outsource the code to a webserves or something like that for security purposes. Does anyone have any clues. Thanks i m not so sure about this also..but i come to an url http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=391&lngWId=10 hope that...

Virtual IP Address (Mac Addressing)
We are planning a 26node cluster Groupwise implementation early next year. After meeting with our Network people, one of them posed the question if Server A (connected to Switch A) fails over to Server B which is connected to Switch B (Will the virtual mac IP address that fails over to Server B be recorded correctly). I was under the impression that the application layer managed it, but we need clarification for Netware. Thanks. Novell's fail-over works by only moving the IP address of a resource and not the MAC address. Therefore, the fail-over is completely transparent ...

Ip addresses linked to MAC addresses?
Hi, I recently decided to install a router onto my internet connection, (partially because of my Shields Up results, and partially because my linux computer acting as a router was a bottleneck (ISA ethernet cards.. eww)) Anyway, I plugged it in, booted it up, and noticed that my IP address had changed. Now, nowhere in my internet access does it say anything about static IP address, but my IP address hadn't changed for quite some time. (Somewhere in the range of 1-2 years) I thought that this was too much of a coincidence, so I took a closer look at my LinkSys router, and saw a WAN ...

Get IP address and MAC address
Hi there! How can get ip address and mac address from command shell without root attributes(I can't use 'ifconfig'). Thank you in advance. -- [Adri�n C�rdoba] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ aecordoba wrote: > Hi there! > How can get ip address and mac address from command shell without root > attributes(I can't use 'ifconfig'). > Thank you in advance. > > /sbin/ifconfig -- Vahis aecordoba wrote: > Hi there! > How can get ip address and mac address from command shell wi...

IP address vs MAC address
Ok somebody explain this to me. I understand how IP addresses are issued(well sort of...lol) Is it one IP address to one MAC address?(not accounting for non routable IP space) I understand there can only be one WAN facing IP address per machine/MAC/NIC/etc realizing multiple NICs possible on one computer. If that is the case then how can say a Comcast DHCP server keep from issuing an IP to a MAC address that another provider has already issued an IP for? In this case perhaps someone has made up a MAC address to use in their router for cloning purposes. Or does it really ...

ip address, mac address, agent name
Hi It seems that I was able to print a report showing IP Address, MAC address and Agent Name all on the same page...Did I make that up? Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks, Kat On Mar 15, 5:16 pm, mepr...@speakeasy.net wrote: > Hi > It seems that I was able to print a report showing IP Address, MAC address > and Agent Name all on the same page...Did I make that up? Does anyone know > how to do that? Well, the MAC address would really be tough as NDPS/iPrint has no need for the MAC address and as such does not record that information anywhere. If the pritner i...

How to get MAC address & IP address?
Dear all how to get the MAC address & IP address using PowerBuilder 6.5? thanks! Michael On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:42:51 +0800, "Michael" <michaell@hknet.com> wrote: >Dear all > > how to get the MAC address & IP address using PowerBuilder 6.5? > thanks! > >Michael > For IP address see http://eric.aling.tripod.com/PB/tips/pbtip14.htm -- Boris Gasin [TeamSybase] mailto:bgasin@dynamictechgroup.com Close to NJ? Join the NJ Sybase Tools User Group http://www.njpbug.org/njpbug/join/join.asp On Wed, ...

Finding MAC and IP address.
In my ASP.Net 2003 application. When client clicks on a button call Show IP Address. Then my software should show him his PC's MAC and IP Address both. How to do this? Try to look into the links to get IP address and MAC address for your reference. http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=782 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/cnet/cnbd_trb_nqgq.mspx?mfr=true You should encapsulate the ARP command to get MAC & IP address in asp.net by programming....

Windows software to convert MAC address to IP address?
Hi all. For the life of me, I can't remember what the name of the software that will take a MAC address and give you back the IP address if the equipment with the MAC address is on the local network. A friend suggested setting a static ARP listing for a MAC address on my computer with an unused IP address, but that didn't work. Help? - Phil "Philip H. Schlesinger" <pschlesi@REMOVE-uci_ME.edu> wrote in message news:dvut6p$2jsu$1@news.grc.com... > Hi all. For the life of me, I can't remember what the name of the > software > that...

Asisgn IP address based on wildcard MAC addresses
We are using NetWare 6.5 DHCP in our environment. I would like to assign IP addresses to PCs based on the particular manufacturer ID in the MAC address, can this be done? I tried but the DNS/DHCP management console wouldn't accept the wildcard character in the MAC addresses field. Is there any way to workaround it? Will import accepts wildcard MAC? Thanks. AFAIK, th DHCP protocol does not support what you want, in any implementation, as it is not part of the DHCP standards. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp Thanks Brad. No problem. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp Hi,...

DHCP assigning the same IP Address to Mutiple Mac Addresses
Is it possible in DHCP to assign the same IP Address to multiple Mac Addresses, ie. a laptop docked using the docking station NIC and a laptop undocked using the built-in NIC I have an application that checks security based on the IP-address that is assigned to the user. thanks, Chris Chris, AFAIK this isn�t possible. You have to add two different manual assignments to the nics. Joerg Joerg is correct, although you may be able to use a MAC Address override so that the machine has the same MAC address regardless of how it is connected. Check your OS d...

Web control for catching IP address and MAC address
Hi guys. I would like to know if any of you know a link or maybe have a library which allows me to use a textbox for enter an IP Address or a MAC address??. I've been searching on the web but all of the examples are for windows applications or they are masks for the normal textbox but they don't include the Control type for an IP address or a MAC address. Please help with this.  You would need to make a composite control of 4 textboxes.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks you...

Web resources about - how to find ip address from mac address? - grc.techtalk

File:Ipv6 address.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain . This applies worldwide. This file contains additional information, ...

Falling flat: Cricket Australia to address imbalance between bat and ball after summer of tons
Cricket Australia have been left underwhelmed by the theme of flat wickets this summer from the Test portion of the season to Australia and India's ...

Lies and More Lies: Another Look at Obama's State of the Union Address
Lies and More Lies I commented on Obama's state of the union address in Brilliant Bullshit! Let's check out an alternative viewpoint. In the ...

'Making a Murderer' directors address abuse allegations by Steven Avery's ex-fiancee
The filmmakers behind Netflix's popular "Making a Murderer" docuseries addressed recent allegations from Steven Avery's ex-fiancee that he abused ...

At D.C. meeting, Emanuel does little to address Laquan McDonald controversy
Chicago Tribune At D.C. meeting, Emanuel does little to address Laquan McDonald controversy Chicago Tribune Mayor Rahm Emanuel speaks at the ...

In Flint and beyond, people come together to address city's water crisis
Christian Science Monitor In Flint and beyond, people come together to address city's water crisis Christian Science Monitor As the crisis ...

Cuomo Talks $15 Minimum Wage During State Address
'Millions of low-wage workers have to choose between paying taxes and buying food'

In weekly address, Obama proposes employment insurance reforms
x YouTube Video President Obama used this week’s address to push to “modernize our employment insurance system.” If a hardworking American ...

President Obama Last State of the Union Address Recap Group Group
Trump is small potatoes. Obama had his sights set on bigger things last night.

AMD quarterly results show improvement, Zen will address 80 percent of server market
AMD's Q4 2015 figures are in, and they show some small improvements compared to what we saw in Q3 of last year. We also heard a few tidbits on ...