Hard Drive disappeared, Help!

System
    	Toshiba Satellite225cds ( laptop )
    	16 meg ( was 32 meg )
    	win98
    	cd and floppy

Problem History ( note this problem happened on two identical laptops once
and was fixed by ungrading bios. 2nd laptop is still running well )

    	1. on boot c: drive fails to be recognized. I had this problem before
and solved it by upgrading bios. All went fine for months now I am back to
square 1.
    	2. on boot hard drive light is on forever, then a request for
"inserting system disk" comes up. If I insert boot floppy, machine starts,
but only dos is accessiable and c: is loaded up with a ram drive.

Things I have done or tried

    	1. IMPORTANT MAYBE - I had 32 meg but removed card to install in 2nd
laptop machine. ( note laptop 1 worked fine after )
    	2. Had power cord disconnected which allowed battery to run down to
zero. Power was never disconnected on 2nd laptop.
    	3. I have re-istalled bios upgrade 5 times to try and fix problem.
     	4. I can't even re-format drive as it is not recognized.

Any help or thoughts on the matter will be greatly appreciated !!!

TIA

Sailorman
0
Sailorman

"Sailorman" <Sailorman@safeharbor.com> wrote in message
> System
>     Toshiba Satellite225cds ( laptop )
>     16 meg ( was 32 meg )
>     win98
>     cd and floppy
>
> Problem History ( note this problem happened on two identical laptops once
> and was fixed by ungrading bios. 2nd laptop is still running well )
>
>     1. on boot c: drive fails to be recognized. I had this problem before
> and solved it by upgrading bios. All went fine for months now I am back to
> square 1.
>     2. on boot hard drive light is on forever, then a request for
> "inserting system disk" comes up. If I insert boot floppy, machine starts,
> but only dos is accessiable and c: is loaded up with a ram drive.

Looks like your system doesn't recognize the hard drive.  Possibly your CMOS
battery went dead and you lost all your BIOS settings and/or the setting for
your hard drive is corrupt or incorrect.

Try this at your own risk.  If you feel really brave, go into your BIOS
setup, copy down all settings then reset your BIOS to factory defaults.
Before you exit and save, set your hard drive to auto-detect.  Save and
exit.  See if that fixes the problem.  If not, go back into your BIOS setup
and return all setting back the way they were previously and try something
else.

Consider replacing the CMOS battery too.

Good Luck,
Vic
0
Vic
7/21/2002 11:43:00 PM
As we are on steve`s site can I suggest running spinrite if you have a
copy as that seems to be very good at detecting geometry/bios hiccups
I`ve fixed a couple of laptops and  2 given away ex corporate  pc`s (
not even a pentium, so not good enough for current MS bloat, but ok for
linux or dos)  and following what spinrite thinks is the geometry  and
poking it in the bios has worked everytime so far, one even had its
original disk and line up and it had been driveimaged or ghosted and
worked forlast 5  years with the wrong config!( dont ask how ) spinrite
matched the legending  on the drive, ( thats how old the drive was! it
had cylinder and sector info.)I only used it to see how ill the drive
might be.

advice below seems sound as a pound, but spinrite will help if it doesnt
do anything sensible and least tell you for sure your drive is a (small)
boat anchor only, rather than storage media.
 16 meg is a bit small for ms windows 32 or 64 really for 98, but that
shouldnt do anything other than make it run like a slug on a promise.

 good luck
 Ed.
defaults.
> Before you exit and save, set your hard drive to auto-detect.  Save and
> exit.  See if that fixes the problem.  If not, go back into your BIOS setup
> and return all setting back the way they were previously and try something
> else.
>
> Consider replacing the CMOS battery too.
>
> Good Luck,
> Vic
0
Ed
7/22/2002 1:08:00 AM
Sailorman wrote:

> System
>     Toshiba Satellite225cds ( laptop )
>     16 meg ( was 32 meg )
>     win98
>     cd and floppy
>
> Problem History ( note this problem happened on two identical laptops once
> and was fixed by ungrading bios. 2nd laptop is still running well )

>     1. on boot c: drive fails to be recognized. I had this problem before
> and solved it by upgrading bios. All went fine for months now I am back to
> square 1.
>     2. on boot hard drive light is on forever, then a request for
> "inserting system disk" comes up. If I insert boot floppy, machine starts,
> but only dos is accessiable and c: is loaded up with a ram drive.

> Things I have done or tried
>
>     1. IMPORTANT MAYBE - I had 32 meg but removed card to install in 2nd
> laptop machine. ( note laptop 1 worked fine after )
>     2. Had power cord disconnected which allowed battery to run down to
> zero. Power was never disconnected on 2nd laptop.
>     3. I have re-istalled bios upgrade 5 times to try and fix problem.
>      4. I can't even re-format drive as it is not recognized.

> Any help or thoughts on the matter will be greatly appreciated !!!
>
> TIA
>
> Sailorman

Sailorman,

When you removed the ram might you have dislodged the HD power/ide cable?
also have you tried to redetect the HD in the bios?

--
Cheers
Mark

Nil illigitum carborundum
0
baskitcaise
7/22/2002 8:06:00 AM
Thanks all for the advice. "puter is back. Seems I had to let the
thing charge for a good 6 hrs before eveything clicked back in. I
would like to change cmos battery but the thing is in a really bad
place.
0
Sailorman
7/22/2002 9:17:00 PM
If you were inside the box check you cables, you may have unseated one
either at the MB or the drive.
HAd a similar prob, turned out that the cable was only making partial
contact at MB end, one pin was not connecting.
TTYL
ANO

hard drive disappears
today i bought 2 nu 300G wd Raptor 10k rpm hdds both brand new in retail boxes. install xpp os, apps & data on 1 drive. then- from command line i do chkdsk /r ,,reboot and pc freezes at 51%. shutt down pc & reboot into BIOS and Raptor is gone. boot into linux live no Raptor & from DOS raptor is gone. OS was dell oem xp. unhooked new dead drive & hook up 2nd Raptor & back in BIOS! no more dell oem os/ something on there destroy Raptor. maybe virus, maybe do very low level destruct on reboot. what else? install Microsoft XPP+many chkdsk /r np. all ok. cannot re...

Hard Drive help
I just installed OpenSuse 11.0 onto a Raid 0 configuration. I have 512MB for a swap partition, 32Mb for a boot partition, and over 250GB for my root partition. Here's my problem. My swap partition appears in the My Computer folder, as does my boot partition. But then under Disk Information, there is an icon for a hard drive with no info next to it at all. I assume that is my root partition will all the other info on it. I can access my root folder though. I would just like to see the information for the main partition I will be using. Any ideas? -- jortgonfreit -----...

Help Help Help Help Help Help

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help Help Help Help

SATA hard drive disappears
Hi, all I'm using openSUSE 11 and until a few days ago everything worked fine. Now I'm having problems with my SATA hard drive (a Samsung Spinpoint T166, 500 GB). It suddenly disappears, and when that happens neither Konqueror nor Yast Partitioner can see the hard drive/partitions! But it also reappears! Needless to say, it scares the *** out of me. Especially, because I'm completely lost with everything that has to do with hardware issues. The SATA partitions contain a lot of data, but it not contain my \home directory; neither does it contain my \, \boot, or sw...

Disappearing Hard Drive Partitions
Did a few updates today which then required a reboot (This XP Pro SP3 AMD64 PC is left on all the time and only rebooted when required by updates etc.). Following the reboot my second hard disk (a Maxtor 6B160P0) decided to lose all it's partition information and showed up as not initialised in Disk Management. This is the second time this has occurred (the previous occasion was about a year ago). The disk appears to be healthy and the diagnostics I have run don't indicate any problems. Since the first occasion this happened I have been running a disk monitoring applic...

help help help help

Cloning Boot Hard Drive
So, I just replaced my openSUSE boot hard drive. I thought I would outline the process and procedures I used which was successful. What I would like to know is, could I have done this another way or done it in a better way? I would like to hear from you if you were able to replace your booting openSUSE hard drive and you did not need to reinstall openSUSE to make it work. I decided I wanted to replace my hard drive in the least amount of time with the least amount of work. This often means buying some product to do the task, but what product might that be that could work with e...

External Hard Drive HELP PLease!!!!!
I have an external USB 2.0 Hard Drive, Formatted in NTFS, 250GB, Made by Lacie, design by FA Porsche (I'm unsure of the model number, but it is the only one of its type LaCaie makes). I have successfully defragmented this drive before using the Windows defragmenter utility. Yesterday, I downloaded a trial version of a program called Perfect Disk, version 7. When defragmentation was complete, it said that it still recommended defragmentation! I closed the program, and had access to my external hard drive until I ended the session and rebooted my PC. After reboot, and on...

HELP! Linux is hogging my hard drive!
I have only recently installed open SUSE 11.3 and i would like to point out that i am totally new to this OS so please forgive me if i don�t understand your answer. During instillation i ticked a box saying that Linux could use the whole of my D:\ drive not knowing that by doing this i effectively wiped it therefore losing quite a few of my files >:(. Is there any way i could make it so that the drive can be accessed by my Windows OS and my Linux OS? Thank you in advance. -- Beep06 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Beep06 wrote: ...

Need some help with hard drive issues
I've recently developed a whole bunch of hard drive trouble, or at least it originally looked like hard drive trouble, now I'm not so sure. I've been running SUSE 11.3 for a while, with mostly no issues. During the upgrade process (upgraded from 11.2 or 11.1, can't remember now) my boot loader apparently got messed up, in order to boot, I needed the install cd in the drive. Without the install disc, I got an error saying the computer couldn't find a boot disk. With the install disc in the drive, it autoloaded that, then at the menu there I could pick boot fro...

Mounting Hard Drive Image Help
Hello, I am not sure where I should have posted this question but here it is any way. I am trying to mount a hard drive image I made of my old openSUSE 10.2 x86-64 system (reiserfs). When I try to mount it I get this error: sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 atlasImg mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/loop0p2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so Output from dmesg: [ 8551.410398] REISERFS (device dm-2): found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journ...

HELP HELP HELP
Hi again: Just tested my first test and proceeded to test and install a second time. This time I let the server run the update after registering with Novell. However, upon reboot the server was dorked as it could not read my /usr and /var partitions (fstab was bad). Now here is what changed between my first the second build: I added a separate partition for /usr, that is all. I could really use a hand here. If I can't trust the update mechanism ...... Chris. Chris wrote: > Hi again: Just tested my first test and proceeded to test > and install a second...

Web resources about - Hard Drive disappeared, Help! - grc.techtalk

List of people who disappeared mysteriously - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... of her husband Akhenaten 's reign. No records of her exist after this time. Various theories have been put forward as to how and why she disappeared, ...

What If Humans Disappeared? - YouTube
If we suddenly disappeared, what would happen to our planet? Squarespace: http://squarespace.com/asap click for a free trial and 10% off Why ...

Boy, 13, who disappeared four years ago is reunited with his mother
A 13-year-old boy who had been missing for four years has been reunited with his family after police found him hidden behind a wall in his father's ...

Neighbours recall barking dogs, scream-like noise when wife disappeared
If anyone had a sense something was amiss in the Brisbane suburb of Brookfield on the night Allison Baden-Clay disappeared, it was her neighbours' ...

Queensland woman found 30m from where she disappeared
A Queensland woman who survived a 17-day ordeal lost in rugged bushland was found just 30 metres from the spot where she was last seen.

CCTV shows man in a blue hoodie spoke to missing ABC worker Jill Meagher moments before she disappeared ...
LIVE COVERAGE: A MAN in a blue hoodie was seen talking to Jill Meagher moments before her disappearance, CCTV footage reveals.

Intruder seen snooping at Rayney home after Corryn disappeared, Lloyd Rayney testifies in 170-page statement ...
LLOYD Rayney claims a “big” and “bald” intruder wearing gloves was seen by a neighbour snooping around his Como home in the days after his wife ...

Intruder seen snooping at Rayney home after Corryn disappeared, Lloyd Rayney testifies in 170-page statement ...
LLOYD Rayney claims a “big” and “bald” intruder wearing gloves was seen by a neighbour snooping around his Como home in the days after his wife ...

American disappeared in Iran on rogue CIA mission
Sydney Morning Herald American disappeared in Iran on rogue CIA mission Sydney Morning Herald Washington: An American man who disappeared ...

Woman 'disappeared' over Sydney balcony
Simon Gittany has told a court how he screamed in "shock and despair" as his fiancee "disappeared" over their Sydney apartment balcony awning. ...