Getting started with databases

Since I have a lot of data that I should organize (as a hobby), I want to get started with relational databases, but I'm not sure how to configure my setup.  I have only a passing familiarity with SQL as a user, although I have some C++ experience also, on Windows systems.  I want to use OpenOffice 2.0, and I appreciate that documentation is weak. My understanding is that OO is all I need, but I've also read about people using Firebird with OO as a front end.  My problem is that everything I read (via Google) is aimed at folks who already know how to use databases.

Is it better to have both OO and FB, or is FB required only with OO1.1 ?

I'd appreciate some pointers here, and/or being directed to appropriate web resources.
TIA

Max
0
Max

Getting started with databases.
Hello, I'm quite new developing in asp.net. I've gone through a fair few of the learning tutorials here on this site along with a couple of others. I'm now working with data access. I've successfully managed to create a database within sql management studio express, add the appropriate connection string within my web.config and also populate data fields and grid views with the information from my database. What I would like to do now is learn how to insert, edit and delete content from said database using tinymce. I believe it requires the use of a data access layer? I...

-934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded to start database C:\FUELTAX\DATABASE\PCFTAX.DB
Our program which uses runtime engine for version 9 is getting the following error -934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded to start database. Does anyone know what might have happened. It was working fine for months and all of the sudden we are getting this error now. Thanks, Igor Vodo. This error is a result of the database server being at a lower version than the database file format. Something has changed in your environment. Do you have multiple installs of SQL Anywhere on your machine (for example ASA 9.0.1 and 9.0.2)? If s...

Getting Started with Database activities
HiCan anyone please help me get started with the database work for a new project. I am doing asp.net for first time and have been working on ASP for last 8 years.My main concern with this is to identify what control to use when (and what is the difference and benefit over the alternative), as we have so many choices. Unlike ASP, where we just had a single type of recordset, so what ever we need to do was with it.I need to write a kind of custom forum, so cant use a ready code for it.Please guide.ThanksLooking to check the time, goto http://whatisthetime.in/[xxx] replace [xxx] with your city ...

Services don't start automatically ("Database cannot be started -- I/O error" or "Database cannot be started -- No such file or directory")
My situation is: ..server: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2 ..database server : Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0.2.4372. Windows starts automatically 32 services ASA, one database in each service If I start each service in manual everything is ok. When I restart the server, four service (always four!!!) don't start correctly with two kind of error: "Database cannot be started -- I/O error" "Database cannot be started -- No such file or directory" The services that don't start are not the same. I tried many times and everytime the problem is on...

getting started: Create a new database
Hello Editor : Web matrix create When I click the icon Date tab in the workspace window, we have not the New Item button. First : enter a name for then new database, example 'Orders" 2nd : I have (local) orders +tables +stored procedures Click on + tables, the icon is different than mine and I cannot see the New Item button can you help me please. I use Windows 2000 Thank you...

To start loop getting data from database error.
hi, i writing code in Html to start loop, I want get data from database in loop shape because data can be exceeded from 1 value to many. if (HistoryData.Tables[0].Rows.Count > 0)  {  int i = 0;  while (HistoryData.Tables[0].Rows.Count >= i) { dr = HistoryData.Tables[0].Rows[i];  i++; } } i have received message Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: CS1002: ; expected &nb...

Why am I getting a cannot connect, database engine not started error?
I have created an .exe file for distribution...however, when i run it i get an error saying it cannot connect to the database, database engine not started. If I open powerbuilder, start the engine, and then run the exe file..it works fine. What am I missing in my exe or project? Thanks in Advance, RC I guess your exe is trying to connect over network and your database server is installed on your development machine. Assuming that you are using ASA, it has an option to tell the db engine to start if its not already started (ODBC DSN properties). This works fine if the app and t...

Is it possible to get the PID of the started database-engine?
In my application i start two local databases - each with a seperate dbeng9.exe. When i connect to a local database i want to get the PID (Process-ID) of the started dbeng9.exe. I want the PID because when i disconnect i want to wait until the dbeng9.exe is terminated and the database files are no more in use by the database-engine. Is it possible to retrieve this information? (DB_PROPERTY, dblib-Function ...?) If you start the engine using dbspawn it will return the PID in a message after it is started. Similarly you could probably use Windows APIs or APIs for wh...

Getting started with Sql Server 2005....Create Database
Hi all I'm a newbie with Visual studio 2005 .Recently i installed it ,AFAIK sqlServer 2005 also is shiped with vs2005.after installing vs2005 i have the following entries in my StartMenu/All Programms/ 1) Microsoft Sql Server 2005 Configuration Tools sql Server Configuration Manager Sql Server Error and usage Reporting SQL Server Surface Area Configuration 2) Microsoft Visual studio 2005 ..... ........ Apparently there isn't any ENTERPRISE MANAGER and query anal...

mlsrv10
I am trying to get a tls enabled database to start with my mobilink server. So far, I can do the following separately start the database server using - -x tcpip -ec tls(tls_type=rsa;certificate=c:\123\server_cert.crt;certificate_password=mypwd123) "C:\Documents and Settings\priyesh\mydb.db" and the mobilink server using - -c "dsn=123;uid=DBA;pwd=sql;links=tcpip;enc=tls(tls_type=rsa;trusted_certificates=c:\123\public_cert.crt)" How do i combine these so that my mlsrv10 command line will also start my database ? In other words, what is the command line s...

Image Database Application (Need Expert opinions how to get started...)
 Good Day ASP.Net Gurus!!!!   Hope you guys can guide me on the right path here, I am about to start a project concerning Images - an Images repository application.    I'm going to handle lots and lots of scanned images or more specifically med records from doctors clinics. The process is that a scanning team goes to a clinic, reviews the patient records and scans the images and then enters the patients details in an application which is linked to that particular picture. the details entered by the team are going to be used to search for that picture (the name, a...

Retrieve a database value, if its equals to 1 hide a control (getting started)
Hi is it possible to retrieve a value from the database, and if its equals to 1 then hide a control (textbox). The value i am trying to get is here;private void DisplaySelectedRecord(DataView dv) {if (dv[0]["Rate_Active"] != null && dv[0]["Rate_Active"] != System.DBNull.Value)this.CheckBox1.Checked = Convert.ToBoolean(clsDHOC.Nz2ZeroString(dv[0]["Rate_Active"]));     }   And in page load i want it that if Rate_Active is 1 then the textbox is hidden on page load.  Why not create a private field in your class , assign your rat...

When we start the database, we get 2140 "An External Winnt Error has occurred "
i have 6.0.2 #2371 and just have an ebf . 1. Make sure the directory is accessible - Is it by chance write protected? (Did your network administrator change something and not tell you?) 2. Check the event log - there may be more info there. 3. NT Service pack 4? If so you need to install the SP4 hotfix: ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt- public/fixes/usa/nt40/hotfixes-postSP4/Rnr-fix/ 4. Instead of start the service try starting the database engine (DBSRV60) manually from the DOS prompt. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Houston, TX Sybase Developers Network http://...

Web resources about - Getting started with databases - grc.techtalk

ERISA and All Claim databases
... laws, on the books in 18 states, requiring self-insured employers to report data about the prices they pay to “all payer claims databases.” ...

Sanders’ campaign looses access to N.H. Democratic voter database - The Boston Globe Sanders’ campaign ...
... the presidential campaign of US Senator Bernie Sanders has been denied access to the New Hampshire Democratic Party’s valuable voter database ...

Under pressure, DNC restores Bernie Sanders campaign's access to their database - Videos - CBS News
A strange twist in the race for the democratic presidential nomination: the campaign of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has filed a complaint ...

Over 680TB of data exposed in MongoDB databases
There are at least 35,000 publicly accessible and insecure MongoDB databases on the Internet, and their number appears to be growing. Combined ...

Database error publishes data of 3 million Hello Kitty fans
Online researcher Chris Vickery uncovered a database this weekend containing the personal information of 3.3 million accounts associated with ...

MacKeeper Leak Highlights Danger of Misconfigured Databases
The Shodan port-scanning service finds at least 35,000 MongoDB databases accessible without a password.

OracleVoice: Oracle Challenges SAP On In-Memory Database Claims
Companies that run SAP’s applications should know that most of those applications can perform much better on Oracle Database than on any other ...