Free PDF converter

I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly and
easily convert a Word doc to PDF.

I tried Googling, but there were so many, and I don't want to install a
freebie on my machine without hearing from the people here. Any
recommendations from those have actually used some of these programs?

TIA,

JW

0
Middletree

On Wed, 17 May 2006 18:29:56 -0500, "Middletree"
<middletree@hottttttttmail.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly and
>easily convert a Word doc to PDF.
>

>I tried Googling, but there were so many, and I don't want to install a
>freebie on my machine without hearing from the people here. Any
>recommendations from those have actually used some of these programs?

No recommendation but several Freeware PDF tools are listed along with
user reviews at
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwpdftools.html

--
js
0
Middletree wrote:
> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly and
> easily convert a Word doc to PDF.

There are some advantages to using OpenOffice2 Writer over using Word --
altho' I'm still more accustomed to Word's interface vs OO.

OO can open Word docs and save as .pdf and IMO OO is worthy of
installing.  I uninstalled an Office XP in favor of using OO
exclusively.  The OOorg suite is free.  Sun's StarOffice suite is pay
but economical.

--
Mike Easter

0
Mike
5/17/2006 11:48:09 PM
Middletree writes:

> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly and
> easily convert a Word doc to PDF.

Adobe's own online PDF conversion service should be worth considering.
It's a pay service but they offer a free trial that lets you "create
your first 5 Adobe PDF files for free":  http://createpdf.adobe.com/
0
Dennis
5/17/2006 11:48:10 PM
In grc.techtalk Middletree wrote:

> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to
> quickly and easily convert a Word doc to PDF.

I have no specific recommendation, but those listed here have at
least passed first muster.
http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/PDF_Tools.htm#PDF%20Converter

I know of some other sites, but have never needed DOC->PDF before.

Some mention of the WORD document version and any "special features"
used in the source docs may be significant.
0
Mark
5/18/2006 12:21:47 AM
On article <e4gbn0$j09$1@news.grc.com>, Middletree wrote:

> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly and
> easily convert a Word doc to PDF.

[...]

PDFCreator <http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/> or PrimoPDF
<http://www.primopdf.com/> might be what you're looking for. Both free,
but only former is open source.

--
Kind regards,
Euler German

Please, reply preferably to the list.
0
Euler
5/18/2006 1:58:07 AM
On Wed, 17 May 2006 20:21:47 -0400, Mark V wrote:

> In grc.techtalk Middletree wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to
>> quickly and easily convert a Word doc to PDF.
>
> I have no specific recommendation, but those listed here have at
> least passed first muster.
> http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/PDF_Tools.htm#PDF%20Converter

[..]

Take a look at CutePDF, found in the list of PDF tools in the above link.
Works well and is not hard to install or use.

--
Disciple - Team Z
Thus says the Lord God; "Woe to the foolish prophets, who follow their own
Middletree wrote:
> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly and
> easily convert a Word doc to PDF.
>

> I tried Googling, but there were so many, and I don't want to install a
> freebie on my machine without hearing from the people here. Any
> recommendations from those have actually used some of these programs?
>
> TIA,
>
> JW

My tax preparer had me use CutePDF to send him documents.  It seemed
easy enough and was free.

--
I prefer responses to the group.
email at rjackhamatyahoodotcom
Disciple wrote:
> Take a look at CutePDF, found in the list of PDF tools in the above link.
> Works well and is not hard to install or use.

I also recommend CutePDF writer (free version).  It does indeed work
well -- it installs as a printer driver and uses Ghostscript as its
engine.  It does not allow you to edit PDFs, but you can create them
from Word, etc. without any difficulty.

0
Michael
5/18/2006 4:53:33 AM

Middletree wrote:
: I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly and
: easily convert a Word doc to PDF.
:
:
: I tried Googling, but there were so many, and I don't want to install
: a freebie on my machine without hearing from the people here. Any
: recommendations from those have actually used some of these programs?
:
: TIA,
:
: JW

Try Primo Free pdf maker.  I use it all the time and it works very well.
Installs as a printer so that when you want to make a pdf file, you
click print and choose Primo as your printer.  The files Primo generates
are quite small, usually smaller than the Word document.
Download from  http://www.primopdf.com/

Cheers,
Larry

0
Larry
5/18/2006 5:00:03 AM
"Middletree" wrote...

> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly
> and easily convert a Word doc to PDF.

PDF reDirect v2
http://www.exp-systems.com/

The full-featured freeware alternative to PDF995 and CutePDF.
Features: Merging, Encryption, Optimizing, Preview, Preferences.
Completely Free: No popups (unlike PDF995) and no watermarks.

+++++

This ***MAYBE*** another option:

HP PDF Complete
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/22684.html

This package contains an embedded utility that enables users to convert
files to the Adobe .pdf format from within Microsoft Office.
New version 3.0.4 has improved support for Office 2003.

It appears to be for WinXP Home/Pro only.

I have just purchased a HP SFF PC and have NOT installed it yet (will =
give
it a try when I get around to installing Office 2003).

Therefore, I don't know how well it works nor whether or not it will
install/work non-HP PC's.

Cheers
Barry...

0
BarryG
5/18/2006 8:44:22 AM
On Wed, 17 May 2006 18:29:56 -0500, Middletree wrote:

> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly and
> easily convert a Word doc to PDF.
>

> I tried Googling, but there were so many, and I don't want to install a
> freebie on my machine without hearing from the people here. Any
> recommendations from those have actually used some of these programs?
>
> TIA,
>
> JW

Try PrimoPDF - free for personal and business use..
Works as a printer device.. similar to Adobe PDF.

www.primopdf.com
0
Doz
5/18/2006 10:07:51 AM
Thanks everyone. I downloaded both Cute and Primo, and we'll see what
happens.

"Middletree" <middletree@hottttttttmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly and
> easily convert a Word doc to PDF.
>

> I tried Googling, but there were so many, and I don't want to install a
> freebie on my machine without hearing from the people here. Any
> recommendations from those have actually used some of these programs?
>
> TIA,
>
> JW

0
Middletree
5/18/2006 1:04:12 PM
It is alleged that Middletree claimed:

> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly and
> easily convert a Word doc to PDF.

I've been using PDF Creator for the few times I need to do this.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

It installs as a printer, so you can use it from any Windows
application, not just Word.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

"... both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to
announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or
we will." - George W. Bush on Saddam Hussein, Manchester, NH, Oct 5,
Jeffrey

  OpenOffice does it easily. www.openoffice.org

--
  9:03pm  up 7 days  7:40,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.03, 1.04

0
JB
5/19/2006 2:04:20 AM
> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me
> to quickly and easily convert a Word doc to PDF.

PDFCreator

http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/index_en.htm
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

open source, uses standard components (redmon and
ghostscript) works like a "virtual printer" and has *lots*
of options to generate the PDF as you like

I've been using it for a long time now w/o any problem
btw, if you prefer a "do it yourself" approach, you may
install ghostscript and redmon and setup things "by
hand".. the final result will be the same but you will loose
some of the additional features of PDFcreator

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

HTH

0
ObiWan
5/19/2006 7:05:21 AM
On 18 May 2006, Middletree<middletree@hottttttttmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for a freeware program which will enable me to quickly
> and easily convert a Word doc to PDF.
>

> I tried Googling, but there were so many, and I don't want to
> install a freebie on my machine without hearing from the people
> here. Any recommendations from those have actually used some of
> these programs?
>
> TIA,
>
> JW

Also check out alt.comp.freeware as they often have info about what
people like.
0
Franklin
5/19/2006 7:55:38 AM
Mike Easter wrote:

> There are some advantages to using OpenOffice2 Writer over using Word --
> altho' I'm still more accustomed to Word's interface vs OO.
>
> OO can open Word docs and save as .pdf and IMO OO is worthy of
> installing.  I uninstalled an Office XP in favor of using OO
> exclusively.  The OOorg suite is free.  Sun's StarOffice suite is pay
> but economical.

Another vote for OpenOffice.

--
Where's there's smoke
There are mirrors.
Mike Easter wrote:

> There are some advantages to using OpenOffice2 Writer over using Word --
> altho' I'm still more accustomed to Word's interface vs OO.
>
> OO can open Word docs and save as .pdf and IMO OO is worthy of
> installing.  I uninstalled an Office XP in favor of using OO
> exclusively.  The OOorg suite is free.  Sun's StarOffice suite is pay
> but economical.

Another advantage of OO is that there is a Linux version of it.  It's
nice to be able to swap things like spreadsheets and Word documents
between Windows and Linux.

--
Virg Wall, P.E.
0
On Thu, 18 May 2006 00:53:33 -0400, Michael D. Sullivan wrote:

> I also recommend CutePDF writer (free version).

Perhaps a few days late, but I will add my voice to CutePDF Writer.

mikkl
0
mikkl

freepdf2doc.com - The Most Accurate PDF-to-Word Converter
Name: Ropomitlydili Email: avoigojaimbataimdotcom Product: eBay Companion Summary: freepdf2doc.com - The Most Accurate PDF-to-Word Converter - pdf to doc converter Comments: <B>freepdf2doc.com</B> Using our PDF-to-Word conversion technology, you can quickly and easily create editable DOC/RTF files, making it a cinch to re-use PDF content in applications like Microsoft Word, Excel, OpenOffice, and WordPerfect. Best of all, it's entirely free! <a href=http://freepdf2doc.com><B>convert pdf to doc</B></a> From URL: http://en-GB.www.mozill...

Convert Gridview Data in to PDf file. or Convert report data in pdf file
 Hi have problem to convert Gridview data into PDF file..let me know is there any solution or open source components..Regards Rambhopal Reddy EPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark asAnswer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Friend, Check this thread for soultions http://forums.asp.net/t/1164793.aspx and then to http://www.aspnetworld.com/articles/2004011801.aspx   Good luck!     Please Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This can be benef...

free html to rtf and/or pdf converter?
Hi, does anyone know of a free .net library that converts html to rtf and/or pdf?  RateMyEverything If the HTML is very simple, then you might be able to use http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfizer/, it is no good for more complex HTML though. You could, of course, extend it to handle your HTML if you would like, since it is open source, but for more complex HTML I don't know of any free library (however, there are many commersial ones).Dont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as...

How to convert PDF to Word DOC for free
a comparative test. http://www.freewaregenius.com/2008/03/28/how-to-convert-pdf-to-word-doc-for-free-a-comparative-test/ -- "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

how to convert dynamicaly loading images to pdf using HTML to PDF Converter for .NET
how to convert dynamicaly loading images to pdf using HTML to PDF Converter for .NET Now am converting using how to convert dynamicaly loading images to pdf using HTML to PDF Converter for .NET  tool. But the dynamicaly loading images are not showing in the pdf .     Are you using 3rd party tool or you are using iTextSharp free utility? If it is 3rd party tool, it's always suggested to ask the company which built the tool. Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti Hi vishnusekhar, As to convert images/douments ...

Amyuni PDF Creator or PDF Converter
Which Amyuni should one use Amyuni PDF Creator or PDF Converter to print to PDF? ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp We use PDF Converter.... "egattu" <egattu@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:LuJ7Sa67BHA.258@forums.sybase.com... > Which Amyuni should one use > Amyuni PDF Creator or PDF Converter to print to PDF? > > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp we use AMYUNI PDF Creator for various things. It works g...

Converting a doc to pdf using (or not) a pdf pritner
I need to add the doc to pdf feature in my application. I mostly have doc or rtf files, I just want to convert them to pdf to use them as e-mail attachments. by searching "vcl doc to pdf" or "delphi doc to pdf" on google is a nightmare: just ads-websites. So I am trying another way. By assuming the user installs a pdf printer (like the free winpdf writer) I ask him to set the desired pritner for printing pdfs. So I tried with procedure PrintDocument(const documentToPrint : string) ; var printCommand : string; printerInfo : string; Device, Driver, Port:...

Converting a .prn created by PB (converting to PDF)
I am having troubles with conversion of .prn files created by printing a composite datawindow to a file. I am trying to convert to a PDF (Adobe Acrobat) and I am getting extra pages between each of the PB generated pages. I ran into the same problem with our fax server which will convert documents and send them out. (Unknown as to what format it converts to, probably .Tif) What I did for the fax server was take the last 8 bytes off of the .prn file and replace it with an EOF. This solved the problem on the fax server end. I believe that PB is adding forced page breaks. Is there a way ...

Converting any text document to PDF and annonating the pdf.
hi guys                                             i am working on a project that converts any type of text document in to a pdf and annonate the pdf,plz can a anyone provide  any sugestion ,how to go about the project.for starter i need some componant to view and annonate the pdf.   regards Navin Hello, I guess the link below will help you in your project.. https:...

Free OLM File Converter Tool with Free Demo
Transfer outlook Mac Mails to windows Outlook PST file format under the expected span of time. Download free [OLM converter|http://www.olmfileconverter.net] and preview the procedure of OLM PST conversion. Free and fast tool for OLM file conversion available with free Demo version. [http://www.import.olmtopstconversion.net|http://www.import.olmtopstconversion.net] ...

Free OLM File Converter Tool with Free Demo [Edit]

Convert to PDF
I need to convert multiple word, tif, and PDF files into one big PDF file. Is there such a product that works with D2006? William Beary wrote: > I need to convert multiple word, tif, and PDF files into one big PDF > file. Is there such a product that works with D2006? I have successfully used ImageEn (http://www.hicomponents.com) to turn disk & scanned images into multi-page PDF files. Not quite sure what to do about the word docs though - I suppose you could somehow capture print preview to an image or something. -- Ray Marron William Beary <> wrote in news...

convert to PDF
Hello! I'm trying to convert a datawindow into a PDF file, but I'm very interested in knowing the way with OLE, OCX or ActiveX. I tried with SaveAs() but I have a lot of problems with composite datawindows, I tried using ghostscript but my boss told me that he prefers using an objetc ole, ocx or activeX, because is a background process and we don't want any interaction with the user. Thanks a lot Martuky As one option, you my want to consider Amyuni's offerings. http://www.amyuni.com/en/developer/pdfcreatoractivex/features.html -- John Strano - Sybase ...

Pdf converter

Web resources about - Free PDF converter - grc.techtalk

DC-to-DC converter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DC to DC converters are important in portable electronic devices such as cellular phones and laptop computers , which are supplied with power ...

Mac App Store - Calcbot - The Intelligent Calculator and Unit Converter
Get Calcbot - The Intelligent Calculator and Unit Converter on the Mac App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Pensioner with a gambling addiction taking payday lender Cash Converters to court
A disability support pensioner with a gambling addiction is taking Cash Converters to court, claiming it broke the law by repeatedly offering ...

Bad news sees Cash Converter shares plunge
The embattled pawnbroker and payday lender Cash Converters, has seen its share price more than halve since February as a storm of bad news engulfed ...

Today’s apps gone free: Infinity Blade III, Sky Tourist, Unit Converter and more
... levels. Sky Tourist Blitz Trip is available for free for a limited time. It has a 4-star rating with a total of 5 ratings. Unit Converter ...

Freemake Video Converter gains drag and drop support
Freemake Video Converter is a great media conversion tool with a pile of features, and just one small but annoying omission. No drag and drop ...

Police blotter: Five catalytic converters stolen from vehicles in Skokie
The following items were taken from Skokie Police Department reports. An arrest does not constitute a finding of guilt. Five catalytic converters ...

Dos2Unix Text file format converters
Win32-OpenSSH - Win32 port of OpenSSH

News: MacX Video Converter Pro & WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe Giveaway
... editing in Final Cut Pro and iMovie, uploading to YouTube and Facebook and more. All Mac users can download a free copy of MacX Video Converter ...

Convoto review: The only unit converter iOS app you’ll ever need
... or web-based workarounds suddenly made an iPhone feel new again—that is, until the onslaught of fart apps, tip calculators, and currency converters ...