Firefox from google.com to google.nl

I have always used Google.com to search, it came installed as default search
engine when installing Firefox. I added some search engines a few months
ago, all was well.
And NOW I suddenly notice that I am searching using google.nl. Not that I
think .nl is bad, but it's not something I changed myself and I want things
to stay put where I want them to be.
I never searched in Dutch specifically. Never went to the dutch google site
by choice. I am appalled! In the History, I can see that before yesterday,
all the search pages were served by from google.com, and for late last
night, I see 1 entry for google.nl. I remember being taken there after a
search using google.com.
How can I change this? I tried setting the search engine to Ilse.nl, and
then switch back to google, but no go. I can't remove search engines, only
add them. I keep being catered by google.nl, I was even served cookies that
I gobbled up to change my search preferences, but still no go. When I try to
use google anon it tells me that I have to be on a google search page so it
doesn't work, I suppose that it doesn't work in conjunction with google.nl.
(Heavy sobbing.) Now I know this is not a major deal but I don't want things
to suddenly change without my telling them to change. Okay, okay, in some
cases, you know... But not in this one. I want com back!!!
Any ideas?

--
   Caloune.
0

Caloune wrote:

> I have always used Google.com to search, it came installed as default
> search engine when installing Firefox. I added some search engines a few
> months ago, all was well.
> And NOW I suddenly notice that I am searching using google.nl. Not that I
> think .nl is bad, but it's not something I changed myself and I want
> things to stay put where I want them to be.

This is a redirect performed by Google, not firefox. If you fire up IE or
Mozilla you _should_ find the same thing occuring. If not, check your
cookies and the bookmark used in those browsers. There are ways to prevent
google's redirect.

If you follow the "go to google.com" link (http://www.google.com/ncr) at the
bottom of country-specific google pages you should be able to set advanced
preferences and avoid future redirects.

Regards,
Sam
--
 06:37:34 up 10 days, 3 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.50, 0.49
0
"Sam Schinke" <sschinke@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
| If you follow the "go to google.com" link (http://www.google.com/ncr) at
the
| bottom of country-specific google pages you should be able to set advanced
| preferences and avoid future redirects.

You're fast! I tried that, but the page will be redirected to google.nl :-(

--
   Caloune.
0
Caloune wrote:
> google.nl :-(

check your regional settings (control panel)
0
mgwmp
11/9/2004 3:15:00 PM
"mgwmp" <p.zie@cnn.com> wrote in message news:cmqn60$kun$1@news.grc.com...
| check your regional settings (control panel)

Huh??? Okay, just for fun. :-) I checked: english, United States.

--
   Caloune.
0

Andreas (*-*)
0
Andreas
11/9/2004 4:01:00 PM
Caloune wrote:

> "Sam Schinke" <sschinke@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> | If you follow the "go to google.com" link (http://www.google.com/ncr) at
> the
> | bottom of country-specific google pages you should be able to set
> | advanced preferences and avoid future redirects.
>

> You're fast! I tried that, but the page will be redirected to google.nl
> :-(

When I click on the link or type http://www.google.com/ncr into the address
bar I get redirected to http://www.google.com, which then does not redirect
to http://www.google.ca.

You may have to allow google to set a cookie to prevent redirects, though.
Can you check if such a cookie is being allowed?

Regards,
Sam
--
 08:22:29 up 10 days,  1:47,  2 users,  load average: 0.79, 0.77, 0.71
0
| When I click on the link or type http://www.google.com/ncr into the
address
| bar I get redirected to http://www.google.com, which then does not
redirect
| to http://www.google.ca.

I just retried, but no, when I type http://www.google.com.ncr I am being
redirected to .nl... When I type http://www.google.ca I can go there, change
preferences, but when I go back to results after saving those, and press 'go
to google.com' I get redirected to .nl :-(

| You may have to allow google to set a cookie to prevent redirects, though.
| Can you check if such a cookie is being allowed?

I never used cookies before trying to change nl back to com, today. And then
I removed the cookies that were created today. :-(
I just allowed google cookies in .ca, so let me see now.
Okay, now I have a new cookie for .ca, .com and .nl. they're set to send
'for any type of connection'.

--
   Caloune.
0
"Andreas (*-*)" <xxxx@xxxxxx.com> wrote in message
| You could use the URL http://www.google.com/intl/en/
| to get the international English interface.

God, I remember I had this problem a few years ago with IE, and I could set
it to use .com, but how... This doesn't work. Although I allowed cookies,
somehow .intl/en doesn't recognise that option when I go to change the
preferences.

--
   Caloune.
0
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:51:26 +0100, "Caloune" <none@none.none> wrote:

>"Andreas (*-*)" <xxxx@xxxxxx.com> wrote in message
>| You could use the URL http://www.google.com/intl/en/
>| to get the international English interface.
>
>God, I remember I had this problem a few years ago with IE, and I could set
>it to use .com, but how... This doesn't work. Although I allowed cookies,
>somehow .intl/en doesn't recognise that option when I go to change the
>preferences.

What's so special about www.google.com ?
www.google.com/intl/en should provide you with the same interface as www.google.com

When I type www.google.com it redirects me to www.google.de
www.google.com/intl/en leads me to the international English Google website

You could also use addresses like
http://www.google.com.hk/intl/en/
or
http://www.google.com.my/intl/en/ etc
to get an English website interface.

Andreas (*-*)
0
Andreas
11/9/2004 6:40:00 PM
| What's so special about www.google.com ?
| www.google.com/intl/en should provide you with the same interface as
www.google.com

It's not special, it's just the way I want it to stay. I can't stand it that
I am constantly being redirected to dutch google, simply because this was
not the way it was before and I didn't change it myself. I would not mind
using .nl if I had chosen to do so. I like things to have a life of their
own, but this is overdoing it. :-) I never accepted cookies from/sent
cookies to Google before I noticed this today, and only sent/accepted
cookies to try to get rid of this setting. There's nothing special about it,
just, just, well, it just annoys me because it happened without my saying
so. :-)

--
   Caloune.
0
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:12:06 +0100, "Caloune" <none@none.none> wrote:

>"Andreas (*-*)" <xxxx@xxxxxx.com> wrote in message
>| What's so special about www.google.com ?
>| www.google.com/intl/en should provide you with the same interface as
>www.google.com
>
>It's not special, it's just the way I want it to stay.

As I dislike the German interface at google.de I can understand you very well  ;-)

Andreas (*-*)
0
Andreas
11/9/2004 8:05:00 PM
Caloune wrote:

> It's not special, it's just the way I want it to stay. I can't stand it that
> I am constantly being redirected to dutch google, simply because this was
> not the way it was before and I didn't change it myself. I would not mind
> using .nl if I had chosen to do so. I like things to have a life of their
> own, but this is overdoing it. :-) I never accepted cookies from/sent
> cookies to Google before I noticed this today, and only sent/accepted
> cookies to try to get rid of this setting. There's nothing special about it,
> just, just, well, it just annoys me because it happened without my saying
> so. :-)

I think it's quite possible that they have redirected you based upon
your IP address, in order to balance the bandwidth so that people in
Netherlands get served from the NL server instead of hopping the pond to
the US server.
0
Kerry
11/9/2004 8:18:00 PM
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:18:36 -0800, Kerry <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>I think it's quite possible that they have redirected you based upon
>your IP address, in order to balance the bandwidth so that people in
>Netherlands get served from the NL server instead of hopping the pond to
>the US server.

This is probably true. I use AdMuncher and have the possibility to
scramble my IP. Using Firefox and cleaning the cache (don't know
whether this is needed) typing 'www.google.com' I end up in
'www.google.com.pe'
And yes, I live in The Netherlands.

Groeten, Fred
       Mijdrecht, Holland, 5 m below sea level
Fred
11/9/2004 9:25:00 PM
| >It's not special, it's just the way I want it to stay.
|
| As I dislike the German interface at google.de I can understand you very
well  ;-)

Thanks, Andreas. Good to know *someone* understands. ;-)

--
   Caloune.
0
"Kerry" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:cmr8uu$14nb$1@news.grc.com...
| I think it's quite possible that they have redirected you based upon
| your IP address, in order to balance the bandwidth so that people in
| Netherlands get served from the NL server instead of hopping the pond to
| the US server.

Hmmm... Now that would make sense... Hm... Still a bummer though. Thanks.
Hm...

--
   Caloune.
0
"Fred" <knor@hccnet.nl_AND_REMOVE_THIS> wrote in message
| On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:18:36 -0800, Kerry <me@privacy.net> wrote:
| >
| >I think it's quite possible that they have redirected you based upon
| >your IP address, in order to balance the bandwidth so that people in
| >Netherlands get served from the NL server instead of hopping the pond to
| >the US server.
|
| This is probably true. I use AdMuncher and have the possibility to
| scramble my IP. Using Firefox and cleaning the cache (don't know
| whether this is needed) typing 'www.google.com' I end up in
| 'www.google.com.pe'
| And yes, I live in The Netherlands.

Hmmm... Yep, still a bummer. Oh well, if that's what is going on, I shall
have to live with it.

--
   Caloune.
0
Caloune wrote:

> "Kerry" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:cmr8uu$14nb$1@news.grc.com...
> | I think it's quite possible that they have redirected you based upon
> | your IP address, in order to balance the bandwidth so that people in
> | Netherlands get served from the NL server instead of hopping the pond to
> | the US server.
>
> Hmmm... Now that would make sense... Hm... Still a bummer though. Thanks.
> Hm...

You could try setting your browser to use a proxy with an IP number
indicating it is in the US. I bet then you would get directly to
google.com. Unfortunately you would also slow down all your browsing at
the same time.
0
Kerry
11/9/2004 10:34:00 PM
"Caloune" <none@none.none> wrote in message
> "Sam Schinke" <sschinke@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> | When I click on the link or type http://www.google.com/ncr into the
> address
> | bar I get redirected to http://www.google.com, which then does not
> redirect
> | to http://www.google.ca.
>
> I just retried, but no, when I type http://www.google.com.ncr

This should be www.google.com/ncr  (not .ncr) .
It always worked for me.

Good luck
MP
0
masterprometheus
11/10/2004 12:07:00 AM
Caloune wrote:

> I can't remove search engines, only
> add them.

Go to the place where you installed Firefox (probably C:\Program
Files\Firefox) and find a folder called "searchplugins." In there, there
will be two files for each search plugin, a .src and a picture. Delete
those two files for the search plugins you don't want anymore, and next
time you load Firefox, that search option should be gone.
0
Lisa
11/10/2004 12:18:00 AM
"masterprometheus" <masterprometheus666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > I just retried, but no, when I type http://www.google.com.ncr

| This should be www.google.com/ncr  (not .ncr) .
| It always worked for me.

I am sorry, I mistyped. I did use the right address though. I checked to
make sure, and was promptly being redirected to .nl. Even when I click on
'google.com in english' I will land right back on .nl.  I suppose I am going
to have to live with it. :-( It's anarchy. Thanks.

--
   Caloune.
0
"Kerry" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:cmrgtk$1bii$2@news.grc.com...

| You could try setting your browser to use a proxy with an IP number
| indicating it is in the US. I bet then you would get directly to
| google.com. Unfortunately you would also slow down all your browsing at
| the same time.

Well, I am not going to bother if it's going to slow me down. I am not too
happy with speed the way it is now, so... Thanks though.
Come to think of it, how would I do that? I remember that I was not able to
go on internet/get email when I got a new ethernet card. I had to spoof the
MAC address so the modem would 'think' it was me, and only then could I
obtain an IP address that was in my ISP's range. Wouldn't change the IP
address create trouble then, too? I would like to try this out just for fun.
Also: if someone had the MAC address of my ISP's modem, and my IP address
(assuming it is fixed), my passwords and everything, would they be able to
use my connection from wherever they were located, even if they had another
ISP, modem and so on?

--
   Caloune.
0
"Lisa" <noreply@noreply.com> wrote in message
| Go to the place where you installed Firefox (probably C:\Program
| Files\Firefox) and find a folder called "searchplugins." In there, there
| will be two files for each search plugin, a .src and a picture. Delete
| those two files for the search plugins you don't want anymore, and next
| time you load Firefox, that search option should be gone.

Thanks, Lisa. But I think I'll leave things just the way they are. It's not
a Firefox problem but a Google problem. I may even send them an email just
to know if the suppositions here are right: that we are being redirected to
..nl based on IP addresses. In fact, that's just what I am going to do. I
shall post reactions (if there are any) when I get them from Google. Thanks.

--
   Caloune.
0

> But I think I'll leave things just the way they are. It's not
> a Firefox problem but a Google problem.

I'd not say it is a Google problem. In any browser, including Firebird
(I do not have the latest Firefox),

www.google.com/intl/en/

where the trailing slash is compulsory - gets me to Google's
inernational English page. OTOH www.google.com leads me to the French
Google page. Redirect, based on the caller's IP address.

Have you tried typing that in Firefox - in the /regular address bar/,
not the Google /query bar/ ?

If I type "bloodhounds" in Firebird's /query bar/, then it generates
the following URL, which for me goes to the French page, because it
does not have the "intl/en/" part :

http://www.google.com/search?q=bloodhounds&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

To obviate this, Firebird would need to add "intl/en/" before the
"search?...." part of the above. Which might be customisable in
FireBird/Fox' options or preferences, though I haven't looked so
far...

Cheers, (and, shame on me, I have that postcard for you in my wallet
still unwritten !)

--
Ninho
0
Caloune wrote:
> "Kerry" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:cmrgtk$1bii$2@news.grc.com...
>
> | You could try setting your browser to use a proxy with an IP number
> | indicating it is in the US. I bet then you would get directly to
> | google.com.

> Come to think of it, how would I do that? I remember that I was not able to
> go on internet/get email when I got a new ethernet card. I had to spoof the
> MAC address so the modem would 'think' it was me, and only then could I
> obtain an IP address that was in my ISP's range. Wouldn't change the IP
> address create trouble then, too? I would like to try this out just for fun.
> Also: if someone had the MAC address of my ISP's modem, and my IP address
> (assuming it is fixed), my passwords and everything, would they be able to
> use my connection from wherever they were located, even if they had another
> ISP, modem and so on?

When you define a proxy server in IE/FF/etc, all your http requests go to
that server first ( it may be able to satisfy them from cache), and it then
relays the request to the original address if it does not have a copy of the
page. Thus, when the request reaches google, or whoever, it appears to have
come from the Proxy Server, not from you. The proxy server knows to forward
the reply to your address.

Many ISPs routinely run local proxies to save themselves bandwidth onto the
Internet.

AlanD
0
AlanD
11/10/2004 11:22:00 AM
"Ninho" <ninho+NOSPAM@teaser-hosting.com> wrote in message
| bonjour Caloune !

Salut.

| www.google.com/intl/en/
| where the trailing slash is compulsory - gets me to Google's
| inernational English page. OTOH www.google.com leads me to the French
| Google page. Redirect, based on the caller's IP address.
| Have you tried typing that in Firefox - in the /regular address bar/,
| not the Google /query bar/ ?

Yes, that will work, like I said, but as soon as I then type, for instance,
bloodhound in the google bar, then I will be redirected. And *that* never
happened before. That is why I am wondering why it is happening now. I am
not worried, I have nothing against google.nl, I just wonder what is going
on, why the change.

| If I type "bloodhounds" in Firebird's /query bar/, then it generates
| the following URL, which for me goes to the French page, because it
| does not have the "intl/en/" part :

http://www.google.com/search?q=bloodhounds&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
| To obviate this, Firebird would need to add "intl/en/" before the
| "search?...." part of the above. Which might be customisable in
| FireBird/Fox' options or preferences, though I haven't looked so
| far...

Understood, but like I said, I never had to do this before. Something
changed (with Google probably) and I am curious about that.

| Cheers, (and, shame on me, I have that postcard for you in my wallet
| still unwritten !)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah right! You were just 'vex�' that I said "You're not French,
are you?" in surprise, I thought your name was not, see. :-)

Aaanyway... It is still a mystery why google suddenly changed it's behavior.
Same with Kuifmans. Are there any more Dutch persons with this er... well, I
wouldn't call it an issue... hm...
I sent an email to Google. Let's see what they have to say.

--
   Caloune.
0

Caloune wrote :
> | www.google.com/intl/en/
>
> Yes, that will work, like I said, but as soon as I then type, for instance,
> bloodhound in the google bar, then I will be redirected. And *that* never
> happened before. ....

Strange, it doesn't for me. May be... check your firefox /language/
preferences, viz.
"intl.accept_languages" (to access the preferences, type about:config
in the browser address bar).
Mine has value : "en,fr" - be sure "en" comes first.

>That is why I am wondering why it is happening now. I am
> not worried, I have nothing against google.nl, I just wonder what is going
> on, why the change.

Understood. Wondering, too : let us know if the accept_languages does
the trick !

--
Ninho
0
| Strange, it doesn't for me. May be... check your firefox /language/
| preferences, viz.
| "intl.accept_languages" (to access the preferences, type about:config
| in the browser address bar).
| Mine has value : "en,fr" - be sure "en" comes first.

Here are my settings. I just added 'en', there never were any languages
added, I never bothered.
intl.accept_languages    en
And I also found this:
browser.search.defaulturl  h t t
p://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=

--
   Caloune.
0

Caloune a �crit :

> Here are my settings. I just added 'en', there never were any languages
> added, I never bothered.
> intl.accept_languages    en

Good. Did it not change anything (again manually browsing to
www.google.com/intl/en/ and typing your query inside  Google's page
there ?)

> And I also found this:
> browser.search.defaulturl  h t t
> p://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=

You might as well try inserting the string "/intl/en" just after
"google.com" in the above preference string... Should take care of the
Firefox search bar. If doing both the above still has not repaired
your Googling, I am done with ideas, sorry! (Just one more yet : -IF-
it still doesn't work in Firefox, would you mind trying the Google
pages in Internet Explorer?)

good luck

--
Ninho
0
| You might as well try inserting the string "/intl/en" just after
| "google.com" in the above preference string... Should take care of the
| Firefox search bar. If doing both the above still has not repaired
| your Googling, I am done with ideas, sorry! (Just one more yet : -IF-
| it still doesn't work in Firefox, would you mind trying the Google
| pages in Internet Explorer?)

Okay, here's what I did.
I changed the old setting to:
browser.search.defaulturl h t t
p:www.google.com/intl/en/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=
That redirected me to .nl, stubbornly...
I checked IE. Searched using Google's installed toolbar. That was using
..com, just as always. Hm... so that would mean that it's nothing to do with
the IP address. Hm...
I use Proxomitron for all browsers. What the hell, I went ahead and checked:
Opera: uses .com.
IE     : uses .com.
Netscape: uses netscape, it's hell. It's set to use Google in the
preferences, but stubbornly goes to Netscape.
So I suppose it's nothing to do with the IP address, right? It is *very*
strange, since I was surprised when I noticed the search had taken place
using .nl. I have sent an email to Google and received a notice that they
received it. So I hope they'll be able to shed some light...
I really appreciate all your ideas and input, everyone!
Thanks, Ninho.

--
   Caloune.
0
Caloune wrote:
> I use Proxomitron for all browsers. What the hell, I went ahead and
> checked: Opera: uses .com.

Caloune,

Proxomitron is a _very_ useful diagnostic tool for just these occasions. Can
I suggest opening the log window and then inducing a google redirect from
http://www.google.com/ncr/. If you can post the results here (perhaps with
a similar log from IE?) I will take a look and let you know if FF is doing
something different.

I still suspect you have cookies for google.com blocked in firefox.

Regards,
Sam
--
 08:46:55 up 11 days,  2:12,  3 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.34, 0.44
0
Caloune wrote:
> Thanks, Lisa. But I think I'll leave things just the way they are. It's
> not a Firefox problem but a Google problem. I may even send them an email
> just to know if the suppositions here are right: that we are being
> redirected to .nl based on IP addresses. In fact, that's just what I am
> going to do. I shall post reactions (if there are any) when I get them
> from Google. Thanks.

Caloune,

If IE doesn't redirect you then it is some behavior specific to your FF
configuration.

Regards,
Sam
--
 08:48:55 up 11 days,  2:14,  3 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.45, 0.46
0
| Proxomitron is a _very_ useful diagnostic tool for just these occasions.
Can
| I suggest opening the log window and then inducing a google redirect from
| http://www.google.com/ncr/. If you can post the results here (perhaps with
| a similar log from IE?) I will take a look and let you know if FF is doing
| something different.

Yes, I always had google cookies blocked. I unblocked them to try to change
the settings, and blocked them back yesterday.
I am going to post the Proxomitron logs. But they may turn out a bit long.
Shall I put them on a separate page on my domain?
I am going to log now...

--
   Caloune.
0
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:28:59 +0100, Caloune wrote:

> I have always used Google.com to search, it came installed as default search
> engine when installing Firefox. I added some search engines a few months
> ago, all was well.
> And NOW I suddenly notice that I am searching using google.nl. Not that I
> think .nl is bad, but it's not something I changed myself and I want things
> to stay put where I want them to be.
> I never searched in Dutch specifically. Never went to the dutch google site
> by choice. I am appalled! In the History, I can see that before yesterday,
> all the search pages were served by from google.com, and for late last
> night, I see 1 entry for google.nl. I remember being taken there after a
> search using google.com.
> How can I change this? I tried setting the search engine to Ilse.nl, and
> then switch back to google, but no go. I can't remove search engines, only
> add them. I keep being catered by google.nl, I was even served cookies that
> I gobbled up to change my search preferences, but still no go. When I try to
> use google anon it tells me that I have to be on a google search page so it
> doesn't work, I suppose that it doesn't work in conjunction with google.nl.
> (Heavy sobbing.) Now I know this is not a major deal but I don't want things
> to suddenly change without my telling them to change. Okay, okay, in some
> cases, you know... But not in this one. I want com back!!!
> Any ideas?

I use Tiscali, supposedly a UK ISP which gives a new IP address each time I
connect or flush. I believe Tiscali also uses servers in Belgium and the
Netherlands, but when googling, I always get sent to Google.com.
From my OE days, I have an FF bookmarks folder of search engines, which
also includes a link to www.google.com, and again, it always takes me
there.
What is it 'they' don't want you to find ? <G>
--
Bruce Henderson
'...and hold our large heads high...'
"Sam Schinke" <sschinke@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
| Proxomitron is a _very_ useful diagnostic tool for just these occasions.
Can
| I suggest opening the log window and then inducing a google redirect from
| http://www.google.com/ncr/. If you can post the results here (perhaps with
| a similar log from IE?) I will take a look and let you know if FF is doing
| something different.

Thank you very much! I posted the proxomitron logs. For Firefox, I did this:
I first went to the page /intl/en/, and then searched using the bar on the
page itself. I was taken to .com. I then used Firefox's search bar, and was
taken to... .nl.
I opened IE. Did a direct search in the Google toolbar of IE. I was taken to
..com.
I didn't try using the /intl/en/ page because IE seems to use .com just
fine.
So could it be something in FF after all? Not that it IS FF doing something,
but in conjunction with Google?
Just to make sure once again:
I never *ever* accepted cookies from Google before.
I never used .nl before monday.
I only took their cookies yesterday, trying to get my .com back.
I now have 2 google cookies: one for .com, one for .nl.
I did a search for the cookies in FF and manually
Here is the link to the file:
http://www.yourvisions.net/stuff/proxlogs.txt

I also found this in cookies.txt:
# HTTP Cookie File
# http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html
# This is a generated file!  Do not edit.
# To delete cookies, use the Cookie Manager.

And this in google.scr:

# Mozilla/Google plug-in by amitp+mozilla@google.com

<search
   name="Google"
   description="Google Search"
   method="GET"
   action="http://www.google.com/search"
   update="http://www.google.com/mozilla/google.src"
   updateCheckDays=1
   queryEncoding="utf-8"
   queryCharset="utf-8"

I changed the above "h t t p://www.google.com/search" to "h t t
p://www.google.com/intl/en/search" to try out, but then Google didn't find
anything.
I also noticed that Google has been slow to find things lately, and that I
often must press F5 because the page won't display.

--
   Caloune.
0
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:05:44 +0100, "Caloune" <none@none.none> wrote:

>"Fred" <knor@hccnet.nl_AND_REMOVE_THIS> wrote in message
>| On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:18:36 -0800, Kerry <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>| >
>| >I think it's quite possible that they have redirected you based upon
>| >your IP address, in order to balance the bandwidth so that people in
>| >Netherlands get served from the NL server instead of hopping the pond to
>| >the US server.
>|
>| This is probably true. I use AdMuncher and have the possibility to
>| scramble my IP. Using Firefox and cleaning the cache (don't know
>| whether this is needed) typing 'www.google.com' I end up in
>| 'www.google.com.pe'
>| And yes, I live in The Netherlands.
>
>Hmmm... Yep, still a bummer. Oh well, if that's what is going on, I shall
>have to live with it.

I have repeated/rechecked the use of anonymous proxies: AdMuncher
takes these at random from a list.
Short list this time:
80.97.151.5:8080
67.117.72.229:8000
12.217.173.142:6588
193.253.195.27:8080
218.56.32.230:8080
Typing 'www.google.com' directs me to Google Peru, China (lot of ???
on the screen) and to google.com.
Still think the IP adress plays a role.

Regards, Fred
       Mijdrecht, Holland, 5 m below sea level
Fred
11/10/2004 11:02:00 PM
| Still think the IP adress plays a role.

But then why don't IE and Opera behave the same way? The settings are the
same, using Proxomitron as well.

--
   Caloune.
0

Evident at 1st glance, your Firefox does *not* send the Accept-Language
header, whereas IE does : here we are. For some reason, the modification
I advised in a previous post did not "take" (or did you undo it on
purpose?). I am pretty confident it would solve your case.

Please check your local about:config page carefully for
"intl.accept_languages", it should have "en" or, maybe better, "en-us"
as its first, or only, string value.

As I already said, I have an older Firesomething, so there is the remote
possibility that your Firefox 0.10 names  preferences differently than
Firebird ? You might also look under Firefox's option menus if there is
one where you set your language preference.

A last suggestion, however improbable, Proxomitron can, in theory,
tamper with your HTT_P headers, hence I would disable the Proxo for the
time of testing...

Bon courage

--
Ninho
0
| Evident at 1st glance, your Firefox does *not* send the Accept-Language
| header, whereas IE does : here we are. For some reason, the modification
| I advised in a previous post did not "take" (or did you undo it on
| purpose?). I am pretty confident it would solve your case.

Well, I tried with and without a few times yesterday. Removed, then added it
again, didn't work so removed again. The last time, yes, I did indeed remove
that setting again.

| Please check your local about:config page carefully for
| "intl.accept_languages", it should have "en" or, maybe better, "en-us"
| as its first, or only, string value.

In the about:config page it says

browser.search.defaulturl h t t
p://www.google.com/intl/en/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=

And now, also (again):
intl.accept_languages   en-us

I retried. This is the log:
http://www.yourvisions.net/stuff/111104proxlog.txt <heavy sobbing>

| A last suggestion, however improbable, Proxomitron can, in theory,
| tamper with your HTT_P headers, hence I would disable the Proxo for the
| time of testing...
| Bon courage

Merci, Ninho, c'est gentil. This is getting too weird. I am not easily
defeated and tend to go on and on, but this, well, I have to admit I am
getting a bit disheartened. (Although, usually, after a few hours/days I
will try again, of course...)

--
   Caloune.
0
Caloune wrote:
> I only took their cookies yesterday, trying to get my .com back.
> I now have 2 google cookies: one for .com, one for .nl.
> I did a search for the cookies in FF and manually
> Here is the link to the file:
> http://www.yourvisions.net/stuff/proxlogs.txt

Ok, a few oddities there. I will try to address them individually (and stick
to the ones I think are relevant).

1) Wookie: headers. I note in another thread that you are using AtGuard. You
may want to try disabling it to _truly_ allow cookies for these tests.

2) The requests of interest are 443 (via intl/en), 446 (firefox) and 485
(IE). Differences highlighted below.

+++GET 443+++
GET /search?hl=en&q=%22on+google+page%22&btnG=Google+Search HTTP/1.0
Host: www.google.com
Gecko/20041001 Firefox/0.10.1
Accept:
text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Referer:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22on+google+page%22&btnG=Google+Search
Wookie:
ZOWCONEUQZAAFXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULHPQQWOYIYZUNNYCGPKYLEJGDGVCJVTL
Connection: keep-alive

+++GET 446+++
GET /search?q=%22in+google+bar%22&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
HTTP/1.0
Host: www.google.com
Gecko/20041001 Firefox/0.10.1
Accept:
text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Wookie:
BGJSNBOHMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNHGSWZIDREXCAXZOWCONEUQZAAFXISHJEXXIMQZUIV
Connection: keep-alive

The difference between the above two is the lack of a Referer header in the
2nd request and a few query parameters (rls and 'client', which I have
researched -- they are inconsequential, though 'client' has other
side-effects on google). The second request is also missing 'hl=en' from
the query string, so that _might_ be a contributing factor (given that they
both lack the Accept-Language header).

As a note, my firefox includes an Accept-Language header. Perhaps AtGuard or
one of your other applications is interfering. I can't find any reference
that indicates that firefox might disable this header itself. Try bypassing
proxomitron for a test?

I see in reply to Ninho that you have resolved this, but your log there
still isn't showing any cookie.

+++GET 485+++
GET /search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=%22search+with+the+google+bar%22
HTTP/1.0
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.ms-excel,
application/msword, application/x-shockwave-flash, */*
Host: www.google.com
Connection: keep-alive

Now, I'm mystified as to why this one isn't redirecting. No Cookie, no
Referer (Weferer, rather!). Perhaps the query parameters
"sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8" are influencing things. Firefox's search
plugin can be modified to include those.

I would suggest disabling cookie blocking in AtGuard then visiting
http://www.google.com/ncr

Regards,
Sam
--
 08:01:29 up 12 days,  1:26,  2 users,  load average: 0.60, 0.64, 0.64
0

Caloune a �crit :

> Merci, Ninho, c'est gentil. This is getting too weird. I am not easily
> defeated and tend to go on and on, but this, well, I have to admit I am
> getting a bit disheartened. (Although, usually, after a few hours/days I
> will try again, of course...)

Oui, on va y arriver !
Given a closer look to your Proxomitron listings, I notice you keep
feeding Google a "Wookie", well I suspect a plain Cookie would make it
happier. Dunno how and why you would do that, I am only guessing it's a
trick you play by way of Proxomitron or is that a Firefox extension ?
IOW you try to be too smart - and it is biting back at you.

Now let's try disabling - for the Google site at least - whatever messes
with firefoxie's cookies... OK ?

--
N.
0
Caloune wrote:

> <heavy sobbing>

Have you considered the advantages of having a computer literate
boyfriend? ;)
0
Kerry
11/11/2004 5:16:00 PM
"Kerry" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:cn0728$134s$1@news.grc.com...
| Caloune wrote:
|
| > <heavy sobbing>
|
| Have you considered the advantages of having a computer literate
| boyfriend? ;)

Enough with the boyfriend already!!! :-)
Still, come to think of it...

--
   Caloune.
0
| Oui, on va y arriver !

Ca y est!!! I have 'arrived'!!!
http://www.yourvisions.net/stuff/hurrah.gif

| Given a closer look to your Proxomitron listings, I notice you keep
| feeding Google a "Wookie", well I suspect a plain Cookie would make it
| happier.

It was not the wookie. It was (don't beat me, okay...) a VERY OLD
(forgotten) rule I had set a long time ago... it was blocking the referrer
fields to Google, and er... blocked cookies from going out. It never ever
caused any problems, except, well, except when using Gmail... I checked all
the rules, but not the site/privacy settings I set a long time ago... <sigh>
(very deep sigh) (Still don't beat me...)

| Now let's try disabling - for the Google site at least - whatever messes
| with firefoxie's cookies... OK ?

:-) It was an old rule in AtGuard.

A reliable, trustworthy person once mentioned the advantages of having a
computer savvy boyfriend... Can't remember where I heard it...

--
   Caloune.
0
| I would suggest disabling cookie blocking in AtGuard then visiting
| http://www.google.com/ncr
<snipped very helpful information>

Thanks. Your posts reminded me of the 'site settings' (web filters). I had
completely forgotten about those, since I set them a long time ago and don't
use them a lot. And there it was... I now have access to my gmail...
Thanks you all a lot!!! Great help. Solved the problem! Hurrah...

--
   Caloune.
0

=================
Google's reply:
Thank you for your note. As you have discovered, Google normally redirects
users in countries other than the United States from Google.com to one of
our country-specific sites (e.g. Google.nl for Google Netherlands). We use
your computer's IP address, which is frequently the internet address of
your Internet Service Provider (ISP), to determine your location and the
corresponding Google domain.

If you'd prefer to visit Google.com instead, click on the 'Google.com'
link on the bottom right-hand side of the page. If you have cookies
enabled, you'll only have to do this once; your browser will connect
directly to www.google.com on all subsequent visits. For more information
on cookies, please visit http://www.google.com/cookies.html and
http://www.google.com/privacy.html

If cookies are disabled, you'll experience the same redirect each time you
visit Google. You can solve this either by enabling cookies or setting a
bookmark for http://www.google.com/webhp. In the latter case, you'll be
taken to http://www.google.com/webhp (this is exactly the same as
www.google.com) each time you select the bookmark.

We apologize for any inconvenience this process may cause you. If we can
assist you further, please let us know.

Regards,
The Google Team
========================

--
   Caloune.
0

Caloune a �crit :

> | Oui, on va y arriver !
> Ca y est!!! I have 'arrived'!!!
> http://www.yourvisions.net/stuff/hurrah.gif

C'est formidable !

> A reliable, trustworthy person once mentioned the advantages of having a
> computer savvy boyfriend... Can't remember where I heard it...

Wasn't that Kerry ... I suspect he was proposing himself for the role
;=)

--
N.
0
| > Ca y est!!! I have 'arrived'!!!
| > http://www.yourvisions.net/stuff/hurrah.gif
|
| C'est formidable !

N'est-ce pas?

| > A reliable, trustworthy person once mentioned the advantages of having a
| > computer savvy boyfriend... Can't remember where I heard it...
|
| Wasn't that Kerry ... I suspect he was proposing himself for the role
| ;=)

Kerry... Kerry... hm... that name does ring a bell...

--
   Caloune.
0
Caloune wrote:

> "Sam Schinke" <sschinke@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> | I would suggest disabling cookie blocking in AtGuard then visiting
> | http://www.google.com/ncr
> <snipped very helpful information>
>
> Thanks. Your posts reminded me of the 'site settings' (web filters). I had
> completely forgotten about those, since I set them a long time ago and
> don't use them a lot. And there it was... I now have access to my gmail...
> Thanks you all a lot!!! Great help. Solved the problem! Hurrah...

Ah, good news :)

Regards,
Sam
--
 07:07:12 up  1:29,  1 user,  load average: 0.69, 0.25, 0.14
0

> "Ninho" <ninho+NOSPAM@teaser-hosting.com> wrote in message
>|> Ca y est!!! I have 'arrived'!!!
>|> http://www.yourvisions.net/stuff/hurrah.gif
>|
>| C'est formidable !
>
> N'est-ce pas?
>
>|> A reliable, trustworthy person once mentioned the advantages of having a
>|> computer savvy boyfriend... Can't remember where I heard it...
>|
>| Wasn't that Kerry ... I suspect he was proposing himself for the role
>| ;=)
>
> Kerry... Kerry... hm... that name does ring a bell...

That's not a "bell" you're hearing, Caloune, it's an "alarm"... ;-)

--
Dutch

GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets
http://news.grc.com/news.exe?cmd=article&group=grc.techtalk&item=116183
0
Dutch
11/12/2004 5:23:00 PM
Caloune wrote:
> "Ninho" <ninho+NOSPAM@teaser-hosting.com> wrote in message
> | > Ca y est!!! I have 'arrived'!!!
> | > http://www.yourvisions.net/stuff/hurrah.gif
> |
> | C'est formidable !
>
> N'est-ce pas?
>
> | > A reliable, trustworthy person once mentioned the advantages of having a
> | > computer savvy boyfriend... Can't remember where I heard it...
> |
> | Wasn't that Kerry ... I suspect he was proposing himself for the role
> | ;=)
>
> Kerry... Kerry... hm... that name does ring a bell...

:)

No, I'm not suggesting myself. I was just kidding around. ;)
0
Kerry
11/12/2004 7:55:00 PM
Caloune wrote:

> Google's reply:
> Thank you for your note. As you have discovered, Google normally redirects
> users in countries other than the United States from Google.com to one of
> our country-specific sites (e.g. Google.nl for Google Netherlands). We use
> your computer's IP address, which is frequently the internet address of
> your Internet Service Provider (ISP), to determine your location and the
> corresponding Google domain.

Aha! I was right! :)
0
Kerry
11/12/2004 7:57:00 PM
I was wandering aimlessly around grc.techtalk, when I heard
"Caloune" yell above the crowd:

> I checked to make sure, and was promptly being redirected to .nl.
> Even when I click on 'google.com in english' I will land right
> back on .nl.  I suppose I am going to have to live with it. :-(
> It's anarchy. Thanks.

It's working fine here...  All I did was use "www.google.com/ncr" in a
bookmark, and it responded fatithfully.

Once you've set it DON'T set you preffences from the contry spicific
site, only from the dot com site.  This is probably where you making
your mistake.

It's in Googles intrest to push users to the country spicific sites to
keep the traffic local, and the results should be the same from all
sites.  If you do notice a slight difrence, place a checkmark in
"Do not filter my Search Results"...

   http://www.dragonfur.ca/nowhere/GooglePref

--
The Tech Zero, Maxx Pollare - Traveling without moving...
0
"Dutch" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
| > Kerry... Kerry... hm... that name does ring a bell...
|
| That's not a "bell" you're hearing, Caloune, it's an "alarm"... ;-)

God, I can't stop laughing... This really makes my morning, thanks! :-)

--
   Caloune.
0
"Kerry" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:cn34oc$2q35$1@news.grc.com...
| No, I'm not suggesting myself. I was just kidding around. ;)

Right, heh heh heh... :-) (Still laughing.)

--
   Caloune.
0
"Kerry" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:cn34qv$2q35$2@news.grc.com...
| Aha! I was right! :)

Yes, you were. You're so good! What a fine set of lobes.

--
   Caloune.
0

A Forget between Google Firefox?Client & Google (default : google.com (.fr for me))
Name: Artet Jah Fakoly Email: mek_vincentathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: A Forget between Google Firefox?Client & Google (default : google.com (.fr for me)) Comments: y0 Paillete or Paille! Like i say in the summary I dont understand why with http://www.google.fr/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official the option "outils linguistiques" in french sorry, dont appear, you see !!! I explain we have options shit "recherche avancée" in french sorry, and "préférences" in french always sorry but no &q...

google.com redirected to google.co.in in Firefox
Okay, since I don't know why this is happening I thought I better ask around. Whenever I type in www.google.com or use the google search from firefox it goes to google.co.in(the india version). Now why is this happening? I'm using English Window XP and region is Australia. Language in Firefox is EN-US <Just checked what's happening in IE> Hmm, in IE www.google.com is showed in Swedish(which is okay since I am swedish), but this would suggest is not a browser issue and something else? How does Firefox(and IE) decide which google page to show? Martin In...

Is Google googling?
What is the deal? Has anyone ever had "Outbound" ICMP pings when just coming online on a dialup. I'm getting Outgoing Tcpip Kernel Driver pings to Google Inc. (NETBLK-GOOGLE) [216.239.35.100] 2400 E. Bayshore Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043 US, every time I log on to the internet. It also is followed by Outgoing pings going to InfoHouse, Inc. (NETBLK-INFOHOUSE-BLK) [64.61.61.86] 41 Pacella Park Drive, Randolph, MA 02368 US. These ping are consistent every log on, 3 of each for a total of 6. Why would Google be doing this and how? I am running WindowsXP Pro and I have ...

using Firefox 3.0b4. google.com --> google.es
Name: Bob McGeary Email: rob_mcgearyathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: using Firefox 3.0b4. google.com --> google.es Comments: My homepage is google.com. I live there. In the new beta, I am auto switched to google.es. Yo no habla... so you can see my dilemma. I have checked the language options, and that's all cool. sup? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030714 Firefox/3.0b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Google Toolbar For Firefox & Google Extensions for Firefox
followup to grc.techtalk Google Toolbar For Firefox http://toolbar.google.com/firefox/ Take the power of Google with you anywhere on the Web Google Extensions for Firefox http://toolbar.google.com/firefox/extensions/ ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Welcome to the Google Extensions for Firefox page. Extensions are small applications that you download and install into your Firefox browser to add new functionality. We hope you enjoy these extensions! --------------------------------...

我的火狐浏览器启动时“http://zh-cn.www.mozilla.com/zh-CN/firefox/2.0.0.11/firstrun/”总是自动弹出,同时弹出的还有“http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:zh-CN:official” 这个问题怎么解决?
Name: 向chunghwa Email: sinoxlatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: 我的火狐浏览器启动时“http://zh-cn.www.mozilla.com/zh-CN/firefox/2.0.0.11/firstrun/”总是自动弹出,同时弹出的还有“http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:zh-CN:official” 这个问题怎么解决? Comments: 我的火狐浏览器启动时“http://zh-cn.www.mozilla.com/zh-CN/firefox/2.0.0.11 /firstrun/”总是自动弹出,同时弹出的还有“http://www.google.com /firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:zh-CN:official” 这个问题怎么解决? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; zh-CN; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.or...

Clearing Google Cache at google.com
There is a handy right click menu in the google tool bar to clear history. How do you clear the google history from the google website? Jim ...

google.com/firefox
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: google.com/firefox Comments: Updated to Firefox 3.6.3 - and now can't connect to www.google.com/firefox No problems connecting to any other webpage including www.google.com and it's not an error with this computer, the network I'm on. Another computer I have is still running Firefox 3.5 - no problems there. Never had this problem before. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation ...

Firefox now owned by Google. Don't trust Google, Now Firefox
Name: Mike W Email: mikewhitexxatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox now owned by Google. Don't trust Google, Now Firefox Comments: Firefox: I now understand the funding of Firefox by Google. http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/20081222/tc_pcworld/willgoogleandmicrosoftowntheweb I don't trust Google. They track online users. I am dumping Firefox Going back to Internet Explorer Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendr...

Your "http://www.google.com/firefox" web page should include a hyperlink to "Language Tools" underneath the "Advanced Search" hyperlink and the "Google" logo should be a hyperlink to the standard Goog
Name: Charles Douglass Garnett III Email: cgarnettatstudentdotumassdotedu Product: Firefox Summary: Your "http://www.google.com/firefox" web page should include a hyperlink to "Language Tools" underneath the "Advanced Search" hyperlink and the "Google" logo should be a hyperlink to the standard Google website. Comments: Your "http://www.google.com/firefox" web page should include a hyperlink to "Language Tools" underneath the "Advanced Search" hyperlink and the "Google" logo should be a hyperlink t...

Results of google search swap "books.mozilla.com" for "books.google.com"
Name: John Lloyd Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Results of google search swap "books.mozilla.com" for "books.google.com" Comments: A Google search through the Firefox start page (http://en-us.start3.mozilla.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official) gives results that have links to "books.mozilla.com" when the appropriate source is "books.google.com". For example: http://en-us.start3.mozilla.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=Bjo&q=mangro...

Firefox segfaults on google.com
Hello My firefox is segfaulting when I visit pages, including google.com and the opensuse.org page (writing this on a different machine). If I run the program from terminal, I get this output: Code: -------------------- /usr/bin/firefox: line 128: 5891 Segmentation fault $MOZ_PROGRAM "$@" -------------------- Any ideas what I might do about this? -- madcatmkii ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Any ideas what I might do about this? you might offer a little more info (like hardware, software) did ...

Downloaded Firefox/Google combo from Google. BIG mistake
Name: Unhappy foxhound Product: Firefox Summary: Downloaded Firefox/Google combo from Google. BIG mistake Comments: At urging of several friends, found Google promotion of toolbar in combo with Firefox. Attempted to download. Google placed a huge overlay which went off screen at bottom asking for various info options. Could not get rid of this overlay. Locked up Firefox; locked up everything. Fucked up my Juno email, would not let me return to IE. You got a real time bomb here. It's probably gonna cost me money to get it fixed. And I doubt that I can even get this ...

google uk shortcut now points to google nl!
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: google uk shortcut now points to google nl! Comments: Since the firefox update, my google shortcut (in the search engine searchbox on the toolbar) goes to google nl. :-( Rubbish! Why? How? I haven't time to figure out how the hell to change it back again. Disappointed. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9) Gecko/20100315 Firefox/3.5.9 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (...

Web resources about - Firefox from google.com to google.nl - grc.techtalk

Firefox Affiliates

Firefox OS
The latest news about Firefox OS

Techarger Firefox