firefox 2.0.0.1 and 2.0.0.2 download window problem

I am having a problem with the download options in the browser.  Hope I can 
explain this correctly so it makes sense.

I went to "options" "download" and tried changing it there for various 
settings with no change.  Problem just started with 2.0.01 and unfortunately 
the browser updated to 2.0.0.2 before I could stop it but problems still 
there.

My other computer works fine with both versions so I think something got 
corrupted but don't know what or how to fix it.  I don't want to uninstall 
FF and reinstall it and lose all my bookmarks.  Is there a repair feature to 
FF?

I used to get a window when downloading that said:
You have chosen to open:
(program name) .exe
Which is an application from  //(program name) .exe
What should Firefox do with this file?
Open with
Save to disk

Now all it says is:
You have chosen to open
(program name).exe
Which is an application from //(program name).exe
Would you like to save this file:
Then two buttons:  save or cancel 


0
Cel
2/26/2007 8:38:40 AM
grc.techtalk 27358 articles. 1 followers. Follow

5 Replies
1585 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 22

"Cel" <nospam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:eru66t$1i7j$1@news.grc.com...
>I am having a problem with the download options in the browser.  Hope I can
> explain this correctly so it makes sense.

I uninstalled FF and reinstalled and problem still exists.  Oh also found
out I didn't lose my bookmarks.

Take Care
Celeste



0
Cel
2/26/2007 9:02:43 AM
"Cel" <nospam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message 
news:eru7k1$1j68$2@news.grc.com...
> "Cel" <nospam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:eru66t$1i7j$1@news.grc.com...
>>I am having a problem with the download options in the browser.  Hope I 
>>can
>> explain this correctly so it makes sense.
>
> I uninstalled FF and reinstalled and problem still exists.  Oh also found
> out I didn't lose my bookmarks.

Found the answer to my issue.

There has been a change in how FF handles exe files firefox won't allow to 
open executable files directly anymore - for security reasons...

Take Care
Celeste


0
Cel
2/26/2007 9:53:18 AM
Cel wrote:
> "Cel" <nospam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message 
> news:eru7k1$1j68$2@news.grc.com...
>> "Cel" <nospam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:eru66t$1i7j$1@news.grc.com...
>>> I am having a problem with the download options in the browser.  Hope I 
>>> can
>>> explain this correctly so it makes sense.
>> I uninstalled FF and reinstalled and problem still exists.  Oh also found
>> out I didn't lose my bookmarks.
> 
> Found the answer to my issue.
> 
> There has been a change in how FF handles exe files firefox won't allow to 
> open executable files directly anymore - for security reasons...

I had suspected that might be the case. I bet Dr. Moz can tell you how 
to do that though, run an executable direct off the 'Net. I expect Dr. 
Moz will be making his rounds later in the day and offer his comments.

Oridinarily executing off the Internet is an extremely dangerous thing 
to do, but on a totally trusted site it can actually be quite efficient. 
I've often run installers live from the 'Net in just that manner, 
perhaps such as a Mozilla installer which I have absolute faith in, or 
the latest Direct-X download from Microsoft.

For the majority of users the security change is a good one, 
particularly considering that it's an old hackers trick to depend on the 
fact that most users have "Hide file extensions for known type files" 
enabled (the default), so a hacker could send you this file via email:

"Here's an interesting spreadsheet you should take a look at. I've 
attached Some-spreadsheet.XLS for you to see."

But since you have file extensions hidden, you don't know this is the 
real file name:

Some-spreadsheet.XLS.exe

Get the idea? :)
0
Greg
2/26/2007 4:28:47 PM
Cel wrote:
> Found the answer to my issue.
> 
> There has been a change in how FF handles exe files firefox won't allow to 
> open executable files directly anymore - for security reasons...

That was a deliberate design decision, made for the very reason you
mentioned and if there's a way to circumvent that behavior, I'm not
aware of it. Even if it could be circumvented, all you'd accomplish
would be to download the executable to some local temporary folder
instead of the Desktop or download folder and run it from there, so
nothing would be gained other than not having to manually delete it
after you're done with it. Personally, I prefer to know where it's
located instead of having to go look for it in some obscure folder.
0
Dennis
2/26/2007 6:53:43 PM
Dennis Henderson wrote:
> Cel wrote:
>> Found the answer to my issue.
>>
>> There has been a change in how FF handles exe files firefox won't allow to 
>> open executable files directly anymore - for security reasons...
> 
> That was a deliberate design decision, made for the very reason you
> mentioned and if there's a way to circumvent that behavior, I'm not
> aware of it. Even if it could be circumvented, all you'd accomplish
> would be to download the executable to some local temporary folder
> instead of the Desktop or download folder and run it from there, so
> nothing would be gained other than not having to manually delete it
> after you're done with it. Personally, I prefer to know where it's
> located instead of having to go look for it in some obscure folder.

The sole item to be gained is that it removes a few steps from the 
download-install process.

I often executed "off the web" for well trusted sites (example: Patrick 
Kolla's site) just to speed up the install.

I'm not unhappy with the change. Lately I save all downloads to one of 
my local servers.
0
Greg
2/27/2007 3:22:37 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

I like firefox 2.0.0.0 better than 2.0.0.1
Name: tsit chan Email: chantsitathkbndotnet Product: Firefox Summary: I like firefox 2.0.0.0 better than 2.0.0.1 Comments: 2.0.0.1 version allows minimized pages pop up when open multi- tabs in one page ,until this fixed i prefer 2.0.0.0 before any new release. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0 ...

Firefox 2.0.0.2 & 2.0.0.3 niggly problem
I just upgraded both my desktop and my laptop to FF v2.0.0.2 a couple days ago. Both began doing the same annoying thing. When I click a URL shortcut on my desktop or a link in my newsreader, an error box pops up saying "File http://blahblahblah or one of its components not found. Make sure the path and filename are correct." Then FF goes ahead and loads the page. This doesn't happen if FF is already running. If it's not running, it happens every time. I just downloaded 2.0.0.3. Same story. Any clues? -- Dale Beckett Dale Beckett wrote:...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nl; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2
Name: R. Bijster Product: Firefox Summary: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nl; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 Comments: I want to report that Windowsbrowser V 6.0.2900_SP2, 12 seconds faster started then FireFoxbrowser. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nl; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

Buggy firefox 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3
Name: badidea Email: very_bad_ideaathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Buggy firefox 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3 Comments: I don't know what changed since 2.0.0.1 but the new releases (2.0.0.2, 2.0.0.3) seem very buggy. Random crashes, slow responses and additionally problems with administrator rights. I had similar problems on 2 out of 2 systems. Best solution for me (and probably a lot of other users) is to go back to 2.0.0.1 and disable automatic update. Success! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2....

Firefox version 2.0.0.3 is being updated to 2.0.0.2?
Name: Russell Nelson Email: rnelsonatgenedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox version 2.0.0.3 is being updated to 2.0.0.2? Comments: I am currently using a version of Firefox with the version number of 2.0.0.3. This is the second time that I have been told that it has now been updated to a newer version of Firefox with a version number of 2.0.0.2. I assume that 2.0.0.3 is newer (and better) than version 2.0.0.2. How can I stop this "update"? Russ Nelson 650-225-7212 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070...

updating 2.0.0.1 to 2.0.0.2 is confusing at best.
Name: Raymond Gray Email: rcg123atoptonlinedotnet Product: Firefox Summary: updating 2.0.0.1 to 2.0.0.2 is confusing at best. Comments: I tried a few times to find the upgrade at the Firefox web site but only found the complete 2.0.0.2 install file. then I used the HELP > Check for Updates and found, downloaded and installed the 2.0.0.2 update. When it was completed, I re-launched firefox and checked the ABOUT, which showed 2.0.0.2 Yet today I got a firefox notice that an update was available; checked ABOUT again and it's back to 2.0.0.1. This does not give me...

XP SP2 DDE problems with Firefox anyone? (v.2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3)
I had a strange issue crop up the other day, shortly after (but not immediately after) I had upgraded Firefox to v2.0.0.3. Every time I launched a shortcut, or typed a URL from the "run..." line, I got an error message: :"Windows cannot find '[full url here]'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, :and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then :click Search." [Dialogue button: OK] The site would launch normally, but the annoying dialogue would always pop up. If the browser was open already, there was no error message. ...

2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 update failure #2
Name: firefox_fan Product: Firefox Summary: 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 update failure Comments: The new update fails to install other than in admin mode (Windows XP SP2). Now every time I start Firefox (other than admin mode), it tries to update but fails due to lack of privileges. Let me know how to over come this problem. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

2.0.0.2 to version 2.0.0.3
Name: Ed Strait Email: estraitateds-placedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: 2.0.0.2 to version 2.0.0.3 Comments: A week or so ago I was prompted to download and install version 2.0.0.3 as an upgrade from 2.0.0.2. I selected the upgrade and was running the ..3 version since. This morning, out of now where, it downloaded the .2 version and ask to to install which it looked as if I had no choice. After it restarted it was showing that I was running the .2. I then went and checked for any updates and it found the .3 again and installed it. Now I'm back to the .3 again. Any rea...

Upgraded from 2.0.0.3 to 2.0.0.2???
Just downloaded a FireFox prompted update. I was running 2.0.0.3. The downloaded update is 2.0.0.2 ... seems to me that's a step backwards ... is there a reason? On May 16, 1:45 pm, Dean Kay <dean...@earthlink.net> wrote: > Just downloaded a FireFox prompted update. I was running 2.0.0.3. The > downloaded update is 2.0.0.2 ... seems to me that's a step backwards ... > is there a reason? I had a weird instance today, where Firefox locked up (no, that's not weird...lol) on Vista, and so Vista did the "checking for problems" process, and then...

Update between 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3
Name: John P Wright Email: klemnoctraatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Update between 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3 Comments: I have been reminded at regular intervals ( when online) by a pop up indicating that upgrade to 2.0.0.3 is recommended. I have now performed this exercise twice but the reminder pop up keeps re-appearing. Also the 'about Mozilla Firefox' tab persists in indicating that I am running 2.0.0.2 The update appeared in both cases to download and update without error or information on any problem found. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win...

Upgrading from 2.0.0.3 to 2.0.0.2???
Hi all, My Firefox was upgraded to 2.0.0.3 last week. However, last night I got a pop-up window informing me that I have just received 2.0.0.2 as an update. What is going on? Regards, alex ozgwei@gmail.com wrote: > Hi all, > > My Firefox was upgraded to 2.0.0.3 last week. > > However, last night I got a pop-up window informing me that I have > just received 2.0.0.2 as an update. > > What is going on? > > Regards, > alex > Did you have 2.0.0.2 and updated to 2.0.0.3, and are not getting messages about 2.0.0.2? Lee ...

Update from 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3
Name: Alexander Wijnhamer Email: arvwijnhameratlycosdotnl Product: Firefox Summary: Update from 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 Comments: I get a pop-up that: "Firefox was unable to verify the integrity of the incremental update it downloaded, so it is now downloading the complete update package" However the counter is at 4 of 4 kb and has been for 5 minutes now. It doesn't seem to be doing anything. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

in Firefox 2.0.0.6 Firefox 2.0.0.3 is still downloading under Help
Name: Marika Email: controlatrocketpropdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: in Firefox 2.0.0.6 Firefox 2.0.0.3 is still downloading under Help Comments: Circle spinning next to Downloading Firefox 2.0.0.3 but Firefox 2.0.0.6 has been downloaded and installed. MacBook (Intel)Boot Camp installation WinXP Pro SP2 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6 ...