Email clients not retrieving email

A business client has been running ACT!2000 for a few years as an email
client and calendar manager with a common database for all users running
on a local server.
Since upgrading to Windows XP Pro from Win95 earlier this year the email
client has not been able to download any email from his ISP's server. He
has been using Outlook Express instead for email but continues to use
ACT!2000 for workplace calendar.
Incidentally Outlook (not Express) exhibits the same behaviour.
The client reports no mail on server, but a check with webmail client
reveals mail sitting there waiting for pickup. Run Outlook Express and it
is immediately pick up. Has anyone on this forum heard of such problems,
and possibly a fix?

0
Jay

In article <pan.2005.07.06.08.10.24.45611@kajayr.com>, Jay Robertson
writes
>A business client has been running ACT!2000 for a few years as an email
>client and calendar manager with a common database for all users running
>on a local server.
>Since upgrading to Windows XP Pro from Win95 earlier this year the email
>client has not been able to download any email from his ISP's server. He
>has been using Outlook Express instead for email but continues to use
>ACT!2000 for workplace calendar.

What build of ACT!? It looks like there was an upgrade that makes 2000
compatible with XP. And what level of XP? Service Pack 2?

<http://www.winplanet.com/article/1246-.htm>
<http://www.download.com/Act-2000-Update/3000-2074_4-8398593.html>
<http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/Act-2000-Update/3000-2074_2-8398593.html>

>Incidentally Outlook (not Express) exhibits the same behaviour.
>The client reports no mail on server, but a check with webmail client
>reveals mail sitting there waiting for pickup. Run Outlook Express and it
>is immediately pick up. Has anyone on this forum heard of such problems,
>and possibly a fix?

ACT! integrates with Outlook so whatever is messing up one of them
[almost certainly an incompatibility] is messing up the other. The other
possibility is that the XP firewall is blocking ACT! for some reason. It
does some outbound blocking of what almost seems to be random
applications. Usually there's a prompt asking about it though. With SP2
the firewall is on by default.

--
GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets:
http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 03:30:32 -0700, Kevin A. wrote:

> In article <pan.2005.07.06.08.10.24.45611@kajayr.com>, Jay Robertson
> writes
>>A business client has been running ACT!2000 for a few years as an email
>>client and calendar manager with a common database for all users running
>>on a local server.
>>Since upgrading to Windows XP Pro from Win95 earlier this year the email
>>client has not been able to download any email from his ISP's server. He
>>has been using Outlook Express instead for email but continues to use
>>ACT!2000 for workplace calendar.
>
> What build of ACT!? It looks like there was an upgrade that makes 2000
> compatible with XP. And what level of XP? Service Pack 2?

Not sure, 5.0.3 for ACT! I believe and SP2 for XP is most likely.

> <http://www.winplanet.com/article/1246-.htm>
> <http://www.download.com/Act-2000-Update/3000-2074_4-8398593.html>
> <http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/Act-2000-Update/3000-2074_2-8398593.html>

Thanks

>The other
> possibility is that the XP firewall is blocking ACT! for some reason. It
> does some outbound blocking of what almost seems to be random
> applications. Usually there's a prompt asking about it though. With SP2
> the firewall is on by default.

XP firewall stopped, using Norton Firewall but has been set up to allow
ACT! through the FW.
Thanks.
Jay
0
Jay
7/6/2005 11:16:45 AM
In article <pan.2005.07.06.11.16.38.883052@kajayr.com>, Jay Robertson
writes
>On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 03:30:32 -0700, Kevin A. wrote:
>
>> In article <pan.2005.07.06.08.10.24.45611@kajayr.com>, Jay Robertson
>> writes
>>>A business client has been running ACT!2000 for a few years as an email
>>>client and calendar manager with a common database for all users running
>>>on a local server.
>>>Since upgrading to Windows XP Pro from Win95 earlier this year the email
>>>client has not been able to download any email from his ISP's server. He
>>>has been using Outlook Express instead for email but continues to use
>>>ACT!2000 for workplace calendar.
>>
>> What build of ACT!? It looks like there was an upgrade that makes 2000
>> compatible with XP. And what level of XP? Service Pack 2?
>
>Not sure, 5.0.3 for ACT! I believe and SP2 for XP is most likely.

That's probably the problem then.

>> <http://www.winplanet.com/article/1246-.htm>

From that link it looks like 5.0.4 is what you need to work with XP

        Mon 11/19/01 -- Contact and customer relationship management get
        an upgrade with Interact Commerce Corp.'s new version 5.0.4 of
        Act 2000 ($180), which makes the popular contact manager
        compatible with Microsoft Windows XP and Office XP.

--
GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets:
http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm
From invalid, Reply To works.
Kevin A.
0
Kevin

How to send email through the default user email client
Hi  I am still struggling with this issue: I have a list of product in my page, beside every product there is a button named 'Send to a friend' i want when a user click on that button to open his default email client and throw a link of the product into the body of the new message I am using standard 'mailto' html function, but it does not allow me to format the body of the message instaed it just throw the html code as it is. not as html i would be really appreciated if i can get any help thank s    This isn't really a asp.net issue but i foun...

How to Send Email(Text Based Email Client)
Hi, Im now learning about sending emails,i need toknow about sending emails from textbased clients to a particular user or to another user in another system connected in LAN. -- subscribeid ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SMTP protocol used for sending email is very simple to program. Commands (if you don't use complex authetication and encryption) are quite simple and you can even connect to a SMTP server using tools such as telnet, netcat etc. for learning purposes. It is easy to write a mail client in C and VERY easy in...

Problem retrieving email from website iHost email account
I've been using Thunderbird for my personal email from the getgo and think it's the Greatest Thing on Earth. Unfortunately, the only problems I've experienced in the past have always related to my main ISP namely, SBC/Yahoo now AT&T/Yahoo. My current problem has to do with setting up my website iHost email accounts in Thunderbird. Needless to say, after wasting hours searching for answers and reading all the negative feedback on SBC/ATT, talking to my iHost Service provider, changing the port settings for my outgoing server (SMPT)'til I'm blue in the f...

How can I grab an email message from email client or server?
Hi, I built an ASP.NET application w/ C# and SQL Server 2000 in the backend. One of the main functions of this application is contact management. One of the requests I received is to add logging incoming and outgoing emails. It's not that difficult to do outgoing emails. I can just handle the outgoing email in .NET and create a stored procedure to dump the data in SQL Server then email it out. The problem I have is incoming email. I don't know how to grab incoming emails and log them in SQL Server using .NET. How can I grab an email message from Outlook or an IMAP account on an e...

Problem retrieving email from website iHost email accounts
I've been using Thunderbird for my personal email from the getgo and think it's the Greatest Thing on Earth. Unfortunately, the only problems I've experienced in the past have always related to my main ISP namely, SBC/Yahoo now AT&T/Yahoo. My current problem has to do with setting up my website iHost email accounts in Thunderbird. Needless to say, after wasting hours searching for answers and reading all the negative feedback on SBC/ATT, talking to my iHost Service provider, changing the port settings for my outgoing server (SMPT)'til I'm blue in the f...

Email client, Bayesian filter proxy, and email antivirus
Appreciate suggestions from the experts. I'm trying to determine how to improve my email client security. Currently running WinXP SP1 with AVG (Free), and ZoneAlarm (Free) 3.7.193. I'm also using the POPFile Bayesian spam filter as a POP3 proxy to my ISP. Email client is Outlook Express. Currently, POPFile scans the incoming stuff to filter out the spam. Naturally, it encounters viruses in some of the spam, which AVG handles very nicely. No harm, no foul. I'd like to improve my security by moving to a better email client; one that is not subject to the vulnerabili...

Email pointer to forward all email to another email address
Microsoft Exchange calls it a Email pointer when you want to automatically re-route emails from one email address to another email address (maintaining all received/sent from/to contact information). How is this done in GroupWise? WITHOUT using a RULE that does not maintain received from information. Wendy, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebas...

developing an email client for OOo with PGP encrypted emails by default
Hello there is a small project, developing a new Email client c++ /Qt The idea is, to use it later for OOo and that this email client is sending emails ONLY Gnu PGP encrypted. Is someone able to join? http://nlcreator.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nlcreator/nuntiusleo/ The is so much development on spyiing on emails and filter them, that we want to create an client, which is sending PGP encrypted emails only. If someone wants to join, please send us a notice Mike Michael Schmidt wrote: > The is so much development on spyiing on emails and filter them, that we > want t...

how can i track an email or generate an http call from email client
Dear thanks for replying, You may know to track an email we simply embed an image in our email, when receiptien opens the email, we got an request on server. So by using that request we can track the email, Is its read or not. I think now u will get the senerio. okey. Almost all email client tools are blocked the images from automatically download. So is there any way to track an email or u can say to generate the http call back to server. If u have any other tip then please also tell me thanks.Qaiser Mehmood Mughal.....................Software EngineerNextbridge Pvt. Ltd. Lahore - Pakistan....

repost: EMAIL CLIENT vs Web based eMail (alone)
Hello all, I am new to your forum and wish to introduce myself as, WeR2BFree. I enjoy the style and format displayed in the postings; lots of great assistance. I am currently using web based eMail @ziplip.com, but I would like a reliable and reasonably secure source of eMail I can use other than my ISP that will allow me to use a third party eMail client. I have recently installed the latest version of the eMail program, 'Eudora'. This way I don't have to use my web browser to send or receive eMail, but I still need to subscribe to a reliable and reasonably secure eMail ...

Problem retrieving email from website iHost email account #2
I've been using Thunderbird for my personal email from the getgo and think it's the Greatest Thing on Earth. Unfortunately, the only problems I've experienced in the past have always related to my main ISP namely, SBC/Yahoo now AT&T/Yahoo. My current problem has to do with setting up my website iHost email accounts in Thunderbird. Needless to say, after wasting hours searching for answers and reading all the negative feedback on SBC/ATT, talking to my iHost Service provider, changing the port settings for my outgoing server (SMPT)'til I'm blue in the f...

I need a free email client that saves email as text files
Hello everyone, I need to parse incoming emails (user action not required). I have done this easily in Unix but am having trouble with Windows 2000. Does anyone know of a free email client that saves each email as its own file? Or is there a way to do this using the SMTP service in Win2k? Thank you in advance for your help. Kevin Kevin wrote: > Hello everyone, > > I need to parse incoming emails (user action not required). I have done this > easily in Unix but am > having trouble with Windows 2000. > > Does anyone know of a free email clie...

printing emails on yahoo email account
Name: Peggy Cloninger Email: fishfunatxyzdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: printing emails on yahoo email account - does not print entire email Comments: When I access yahoo mail and try to print an email of more than one page length - a page is printed containg "Date:", "From:", "Subject:" and "To:" fields. Then another containing the first page of the message is printed and finally another with date and time at bottom is printed. If the message (and possible attachments) is longer than one page, only the first page is printed. Acc...

Sending Emails like Signup email and forgot password email
I have a txt file named signup.txt and i want it to be sent when a user signs up like when when you sign up for a website you get a signup welcome i have the following code to do the job this code signs up the user public ActionResult Signup(string username, string password, string email) { //using (new CodeBenchmark()) {JsonResult result = new JsonResult();if (Globals.DisableSignup) {result.errorMessage = "User signup is currently disabled. Try back later"; }else if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(username)) {result.errorMessage = "User name cannot be blank."; }else ...

Web resources about - Email clients not retrieving email - grc.techtalk

Mother of three killed landlord after he tried to stop her retrieving her son's shirt
A mother of three has been found guilty of killing her landlord after he tried to stop her retrieving a red polo shirt her son needed for school ...

Retrieving bodies a 'horrifying' experience (01:43)
Anti-jump measures on the Story Bridge should be "fast tracked" and water police funding increased so CityCats don't have to pick up bodies. ...

Man drowns retrieving toy boat
A man has drowned after entering the Wimmera River at Horsham to retrieve a remote-controlled boat.

Bishop says there is no time limit on retrieving MH17 remains
THE Australian Federal Police have warned that it is too dangerous to approach the MH17 crash site in war-torn eastern Ukraine until security ...

Search underway for man swept away in Brisbane River while retrieving toy boat
A search is underway for a man swept away in the Brisbane River while retrieving a toy boat.

DPRK blames US for suspension of retrieving American soldiers' remains
DPRK blames US for suspension of retrieving American soldiers' remains People's Daily Online PYONGYANG, Oct. 13 The Democratic People's Republic ...

Good dog: Yankee retrieving a big Canada in a Manitoba hayfield
Good dog: Yankee retrieving a big Canada in a Manitoba hayfield

iPhone dev: Retrieving user phone numbers
... a secret to recovering user phone numbers that does not involve the … One of the most common questions I get these days has to do with retrieving ...

Girl stuck in Dover storm drain retrieving phone
A teenage girl gets stuck in a storm drain in Dover while trying to retrieve her mobile phone which had fallen into it.

Forensic investigations: Retrieving data from the cloud
... ensure that nothing is missed in the evidence gathering process, and to ensure that the investigative team doesn’t run out of time when retrieving ...