Create a text file from a web form

Is there an open-source tool that can be used to create a simple web
form that prompts for some basic information and then create a text file
on the users workstation.

What I want to do is to create a standard e-mail signature file for my
users. To do that I was thinking of prompting them for their information
and then formatting that information into a html file that I would then
save on their workstations for use. Ideally I'd also like to save a
graphic image as well along with the html file.

I need to do something that does not require any code to be installed on
the users workstation.

Lionel B. Dyck  <><
AIM ID: lbdyck
Homepage http://www.lbdsoftware.com
0
Lionel

>Is there an open-source tool that can be used to create a simple web
>form that prompts for some basic information and then create a text file
>on the users workstation.

>What I want to do is to create a standard e-mail signature file for my
>users. To do that I was thinking of prompting them for their information
>and then formatting that information into a html file that I would then
>save on their workstations for use. Ideally I'd also like to save a
>graphic image as well along with the html file.

No. You'd have to do the heavy lifting on the server. It would be fairly easy to
do with a server side script.
E-Mail: http://lists.gpick.com/crashsite/email.htm
http://lists.gpick.com

0
Crash
7/12/2005 11:36:34 AM
"Crash" Dummy wrote:

> No. You'd have to do the heavy lifting on the server. It would be fairly easy to
> do with a server side script.

Is there some open-source tool that will easily create such a server
side script and web page?

thanks

--
Lionel B. Dyck  <><
AIM ID: lbdyck
Homepage http://www.lbdsoftware.com
0
Lionel
7/12/2005 2:37:40 PM
>Is there some open-source tool that will easily create such a server
>side script and web page?

I don't know, but I doubt it. Scripting is usually left up to the programmer.
Forms are pretty basic to HTML. You could try one of the relevant Microsoft
groups.
E-Mail: http://lists.gpick.com/crashsite/email.htm
http://lists.gpick.com

0
Crash
7/12/2005 2:52:23 PM
"Crash" Dummy wrote:
>>Is there some open-source tool that will easily create such a server
>>side script and web page?
>

> I don't know, but I doubt it. Scripting is usually left up to the programmer.
> Forms are pretty basic to HTML. You could try one of the relevant Microsoft
> groups.

Yea, that is a tough one.
PHP is probably the best way to go about it. Forget Javascript.
Here is a free PHP form handler that ~might~ give you a start...
http://www.formhandler.net/FH3/

GL!
-Scott
0
Lab1
7/13/2005 3:33:59 PM
Wandering aimlessly about grc.techtalk, I heard Lionel B. Dyck say:

> "Crash" Dummy wrote:
>   >
>> No. You'd have to do the heavy lifting on the server. It would be fairly easy to
>> do with a server side script.

> Is there some open-source tool that will easily create such a server
> side script and web page?

There are hundreds of server-side form tools floating around the net.
Here's a whole bunch of PHP scripts, many of them free:

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Form_Processors/index.html

If your preference is CGI/Perl, they've got them as well:

http://www.hotscripts.com/CGI_and_Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/Form_Processors/index.html

--
Dutch
0

Creating a formatted text file from Web form results
Hello, This is the first post from a relatively novice ASP.NET programmer. Can anyone point in the right direction for creating an emailed formatted text file from web form results. I am creating a web form that clients will fill in.  I would like the results to be put into a text file that will be emailed to an employee.  The employee will use this file to import it into an existing application.  The text file format is an industry standard and predefined and specific on how the information is in the file.  Example: client's first name may be on the next lin...

Importing text file (possibly a excel file) via a web-form to a database.
Hey there - I'm sort of new to this and have a question - which in itself is probably easy, I'm just having trouble finding it. I need to import a text file - possibly later an excel file - into a SQL database via a web-form upload function. Can anyone point me in the right direction? A tutorial page that you know of or sample code, possibly? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Hi, Take a look @ : - Reading a Delimited File Using ASP.Net and VB.Net - HTHK B ShajudeenAreYaar.comDubai, United Arab Emirates. That was perfect - thank you!...

how to create a form that writes to a text file?
hii have a number of text boxes that the user can fill out (a form), im wanting the user's input to then be written to a text file which is on the web server, every time they fill out the text boxes it replaces (removes) the previous information in the text file and uses the most current inputted informationi've done this before with php, but am wanting to do it with asp.net (in vb) could somebody please lead me in the right direction? thanks in advance!   Imports System Imports System.IO public sub WriteFile() Using sw As StreamWriter = New StreamWriter("TestFil...

save web form on text file
hi evry body sorry i'm not good at english. i've design one page taht contain a data grid. i would like to know that can i Save my Page with results on Data grid into text file?(i dont use any picture and graghical tools in my application) in fact my problem is our company has Line Printers and i want to print my data and design(My webform). first i have to save my data with design(My webform) into text file then do printing. my page has Header and Page number and Report number and Company name and region name and city name and list of data on grid. thanks for your help. hi ...

WEB FORMS and datasetS (do I have to repeat the file definition in every web form?)
I am working on vb.net.I have a project with 35 web forms and an access file with 18 tables.Until now I have defined the oledbadapters in every form by dragging the tables from the server explorer tool box.This is not a good idea because every time that I make a change on the database design I have to drag the new definition on 35 web forms and I have to create the datasets again. This is boring and time consuming!The question is:WHAT CAN I DO TO HAVE THE FILE DEFINITION ONLY IN ONE PLACE AND THAT EVERY WEB FORM WOULD TAKE THE DATA ADAPTERS AND DATASETS FROM THERE? how about if you write a...

how to create web service that create xml files availible for web application
Hi epxerts im new in web service. I have a web link which contains nothing when you visit that web link. But when you view the source it will show the xml source in it. I want to create that xml file through web service and make these xml files availible for my application. Best RegardsShaukat Waqar...

How to create and app to convert a text file into another formated text file.
Hello I'm new to the ASP forums, I have a project that I need to create and app that will convert a simple text with a ssn, firstname, lastname, etc.. With the click of the button will will convert the file to another text file but formated as firstname, lastname, ssn, etc. (I hope so far this is making sense). Anyway I have create the file upload control and a upload button to upload the text file. Now I need code for the conversion button and I'm having trouble codeing it. I just need for the button to read the text file and covert it over to new formated text file and save it. Below ...

Not able to create text file in the web server
Hi,    I am getting the following error when i am trying to create a text file through my .NET application withing the application folders. Access to the path 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Accessory\Logfolder\cybs.log' is denied. I have the code as follows in web.config file.<authorization> <allow users="*"/></authorization> <authentication mode="Windows" /> and i gave the administrators permission in the users group even for the ASPNET Machine account and IUSER_TEMPLATE group. I added those user accounts ...

Creating and Writing to a Text File on the web server...HELP
HELP!! I have a web page, that on button click needs to write a text file to the server. It needs to go into a folder called CustomOrders. The naming scheme needs to be Ex: LastName12152005.txt . The last name comes from a text box, and the numbers comes from a date object. Then several things need to written to the file. I find lots of stuff explaining how to write to a local disk (ex. C:/ ). Any help is appreciated. some sample code would help alot. Thanks, StetsonUMan >>I find lots of stuff explaining how to write to a local disk (ex. C:/ ) actually i think they...

Create text file in MyDocuments from a web application on local app.
 Hi all,If I create a text file from my web app running on my local machine, can I create it in a directory that is outside of the scope of the applications directory such as in MyDocuments?If it can be done, what do I have to do and also are there any settings for security etc that need setting to create the text file and also place it in MyDocuments?Thanks for your time.  You can create files anywhere as long as the user account under which the current ASP.NET request is running has appropriate rights for the target folder.Mark replies as answers if they helped you solve the pr...

Create a File list in a text file
Anybody remember how to create a text file from a file list in Windows? I tried DIR /S > C:\LIST.TXT but it will not get me exactly what I need. The Search toll built in Windows does it but I can't save the results to a text file that I could edit. JFS wrote: > Anybody remember how to create a text file from a file list in > Windows? > > I tried DIR /S > C:\LIST.TXT but it will not get me exactly what I > need. The Search toll built in Windows does it but I can't save the > results to a text file that I could edit. dir /b /s > list.txt -- ...

How to display a large text file on a web form with optimal performance
 Hi folks,I am trying to display large plain text files (5-6MB) on a web form inside a label, but the load just take forever.These text files are in a remote file server.Plus, the return lines are not kept when displaying the text file content, any suggestions on that too?I use  Code is below for your suggestions and insights. 1 Stream stream = new FileStream(file_path, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read);2 BufferedStream bstream = new BufferedStream(stream);3 StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(bstream, true);4 5 lblLog.Text = String.Empty;6 lblLog.Text = reader.R...

reference web form objects name using values from a text file
Hi.The situation i have is whereby i have 3 images on my webform named img1, img2, img3and i have a text file with lines containing the above names:  img1  img2  img3 what i would like to be able to do is read through the textfile, and then reference the names of theimages on the web page by the values taken from the textfile in my code behindpseudocode shown belowwhile not end of file   a=read line    a.src="new image"end whileThank you all for your time and considerationswilliad This might work for you: Page.FindControl("ID GOES HERE") You can add dy...

Web resources about - Create a text file from a web form - grc.techtalk

Wikipedia:Why create an account? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is Wikipedia . You do not have to log in to learn. Almost anyone can edit almost any article at any given time too, but be aware that the ...

Facebook Teams Up With Google, Microsoft, Others To Create WebPlatform.org, A Developer Support Hub
Facebook may have a tricky relationship with HTML5 , but it still wants developers all over the Web to learn how to use it efficiently. The social ...

Wunderlich creates two-wheel-drive hybrid BMW motorcycle
Filed under: Green , Misc. Auto Shows , BMW , Motorcycle , Hybrid , Off-Road Motorcycle aftermarket company Wunderlich creates a two-wheel drive ...

Major Poll Shows African-Americans Believe Shifting To Clean Energy Will Create Jobs
... believe global warming is a serious problem. This major poll shows African-Americans think shifting to clean energy will create jobs and hold ...

Ford creates a drugged-driving suit to show why you shouldn't toke behind the wheel
The automaker will use the suit as part of its new-driver education program, in the hopes that motorists will think twice before making a bad ...

Pfizer To Buy Allergan For $160B, Create World’s Largest Drug Company
... investor in or CEO of one. But the major investors and CEOs do think bigger is better, and so to that end two of them are merging to create ...

China and the US create a 'space hotline' to avoid conflicts
The Kremlin and the White House famously established a hotline between each other during the Cold War to avoid annihilating each other by mistake, ...

Fake Users Create Problems for Businesses, but Few Take Action
While 82 percent of companies struggle with fake users, 43 percent still admit allowing them into their ecosystem, the Telesign report found. ...

TODD STARNES: School sings praise to Allah, create propaganda posters for ISIS
TODD STARNES: School sings praise to Allah, create propaganda posters for ISIS

ISS 'UFO' creates buzz
ISS 'UFO' creates buzz