cecil=id ?

I put my cecil-id into my organization field of netscape 479.It does not
show up in the "all header" info.Only the "Land of Nowhere " shows up. I
cannot delete any post I put in tenforward test NG.
I followed instruction in "no regrets" page.I enetered a
passphrase,click submit and got a public cecil-id and put it in
organization field.
I have java and java script enabled.
What is the problem? Is the cecil-id  suppose to show up in post?
0
noname

"noname" <noname@nowhere.nett> wrote news:3D150F22.E62F77E5@nowhere.nett...
> I put my cecil-id into my organization field of netscape 479.It does not
> show up in the "all header" info.Only the "Land of Nowhere " shows up. I
> cannot delete any post I put in tenforward test NG.
> I followed instruction in "no regrets" page.I enetered a
> passphrase,click submit and got a public cecil-id and put it in
> organization field.
> I have java and java script enabled.
> What is the problem? Is the cecil-id  suppose to show up in post?

Hi noname,

the old noregrets system does not work for new posts anymore (If you try it,
I guess, the page has still not been updated).

For news.grc.com check/or configure [ don't know the procedure in Netscape ]
the log on with username. Choose a word, or better some unique
letter-number combination as "username" and use the _same_ word as a
password to log on. The GRC server will create a hashed Cecil-ID from this
info. You will see it in your headers in the "Poster:" field instead of
"Non-Authenticated User". As long as you are logged on with the same data,
you can cancel any post with the cancel function of your news reader.

HTH

HiMan
0
HiMan
6/23/2002 12:06:00 AM
HiMan wrote:

thanks HIMAN I saw your post in test and didn't realize it was you.I
didn't think anybody was reading the test site.
All works ok now.You said I should keep the same name but wouldn't that
be insecure. So I used a seperate password and user id not in any of my
preferences.

ps In netscape go to edit/preferences/mail&newsgroup/newsgroup servers
Hilite grc and check "always ask me for my user name and password"
0
noname
6/23/2002 12:31:00 AM
"noname" <noname@nowhere.nett> wrote news:3D1516D2.26A534B3@nowhere.nett...
> thanks HIMAN I saw your post in test and didn't realize it was you.I
> didn't think anybody was reading the test site.

;-)) Thought I have a look, if you get it working.

> All works ok now.You said I should keep the same name but wouldn't that
> be insecure. So I used a seperate password and user id not in any of my
> preferences.

 I would not choose the same word for log on name and password normally
either. But ... as this is the way the GRC server is configured, that's the
way to do it, if you want to be able to cancel posts.

> ps In netscape go to edit/preferences/mail&newsgroup/newsgroup servers
> Hilite grc and check "always ask me for my user name and password"

Thanks. Saved.

HiMan
0
HiMan
6/23/2002 12:39:00 AM
HiMan wrote:

> "noname" <noname@nowhere.nett> wrote news:3D1516D2.26A534B3@nowhere.nett...
> > thanks HIMAN I saw your post in test and didn't realize it was you.I
> > didn't think anybody was reading the test site.
>
> ;-)) Thought I have a look, if you get it working.
>
> > All works ok now.You said I should keep the same name but wouldn't that
> > be insecure. So I used a seperate password and user id not in any of my
> > preferences.
>
>  I would not choose the same word for log on name and password normally
> either. But ... as this is the way the GRC server is configured, that's the
> way to do it, if you want to be able to cancel posts.
>
> > ps In netscape go to edit/preferences/mail&newsgroup/newsgroup servers
> > Hilite grc and check "always ask me for my user name and password"
>
> Thanks. Saved.
>
> HiMan

correction:  In netscape go to edit/preferences/mail&newsgroup/newsgroup
servers
 Hilite grc ,click edit and check "always ask me for my user name and
password"
0
noname
6/23/2002 12:43:00 AM
"noname" <noname@nowhere.nett> wrote news:3D1519B8.95A80D0F@nowhere.nett...
> correction:  In netscape go to edit/preferences/mail&newsgroup/newsgroup
> servers
>  Hilite grc ,click edit and check "always ask me for my user name and
> password"

Ok, changed ;-)

HiMan
0
HiMan
6/23/2002 12:46:00 AM
<very big snip>

>> I would not choose the same word for log on name and password normally
>>either. But ... as this is the way the GRC server is configured, that's the
>>way to do it, if you want to be able to cancel posts.
>>

>>>ps In netscape go to edit/preferences/mail&newsgroup/newsgroup servers
>>>Hilite grc and check "always ask me for my user name and password"
>>
>>Thanks. Saved.
>>
>>HiMan
>

> correction:  In netscape go to edit/preferences/mail&newsgroup/newsgroup
> servers
>  Hilite grc ,click edit and check "always ask me for my user name and
> password"

Does anyone know how to do this in Mozilla 1.0 (probably the same as
Netscape 6 or Netscape 7)?
0
Andre
6/23/2002 2:06:00 AM
Andre invalid@invalid.invalid said...
> <very big snip>
> >>
> >> I would not choose the same word for log on name and password normally
> >>either. But ... as this is the way the GRC server is configured, that's the
> >>way to do it, if you want to be able to cancel posts.

> >>Thanks. Saved.
> >>
> >>HiMan
> >

> > correction:  In netscape go to edit/preferences/mail&newsgroup/newsgroup
> > servers
> >  Hilite grc ,click edit and check "always ask me for my user name and
> > password"
>
> Does anyone know how to do this in Mozilla 1.0 (probably the same as
> Netscape 6 or Netscape 7)?

There are no such fields in the server properties so you have to force
authentication with this line in prefs.js or user.js.

user_pref("mail.server.server1.always_authenticate", true);

You must replace the server number with the number that Mozilla has
assigned to GRC, look for it in prefs.js.

The next time you connect to news.grc.com you should be prompted for a
username and a password, and due to a bug in Mozilla you may also be
prompted when entering each newsgroup but you can use Password Manager
to remember them for you.

--
Hasse
0

Cecil ID
Way back in mid July Steve posted in news about the 2nd generation Cecil ID system for this site. I have kind of lost track of what the status of this is currently. I have looked around and can't seem to find out any new information. Anyone want to volunteer an update on this? Thanks, It's been in place and working since then. The only thing missing is a page that tells about it. You can tell who is using it, in the posting headers. At the end of the "Poster" header, everyone who has it (like me), has the coded ID, all others (like in yours), will s...

cecil ID
My new laptop has Vista OS but doesn't know about cecil. My older desktop ( on OE ) is cecil'd in as I can post here under OE. MS stopped OE and OE became Windows Mail in my Vista OS which is ok. Only problem is how to get the Vista laptop cecil'd in. Any thoughts out there highly appreciated........ thx.... js On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:09:23 -0700, jerry sullivan wrote: > My new laptop has Vista OS but doesn't know about cecil. My older desktop > ( on OE ) is cecil'd in as I can post here under OE. MS stopped OE and OE > became Windows Mail in...

cecil id???
when i first started posting on these ngs, i followed the directions on the grc site and put my cecil id in the organization: space in my newsreader (gravity) setup. worked like a charm, though i've rarely had occasion to use it and so haven't checked in a while. today, i happened to look at the full headers of one of my posts, and notice that there is suddenly no organization field (though it's still in the setup of the grc server on my newsreader) and there's a new header named cecil id: . did steve change this, and how do i use it now? -- Graciella! '...

Cecil ID
I can't find any blurb about how to get a Cecil ID, though I remember seeing posts about it. Is it a "closed society" here? TIA, Bahb "brh" <bahb@genesis1st.com> wrote in message news:3BB9DE98.8006F757@genesis1st.com... > > I can't find any blurb about how to get a Cecil ID, though I remember > seeing posts about it. Is it a "closed society" here? Unfortunately, Steve hasn't had time to write it up on a web page. Here is something I saved. <paste> Everyone ... (Take II) Here is LAST NIGHT'S CANCE...

Cecil-Id
Help!!!Any one have Outlook express 6 know how to add the cecil-id. When I add it to the organization it ignores it.(While it is surrounded by < >). Thank you in advance. R. Schneider "R.Schneider" <kanonind23@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9qjr9m$76a$1@news.grc.com... > Help!!!Any one have Outlook express 6 know how to add the cecil-id. When I > add it to the organization it ignores it.(While it is surrounded by < >). > With Steve's new Cecil ID II system, you need to just enter a unique, 30 character or less, username and password (...

Cecil ID?
I read Steves recent posting on potential ID improvements using the CECIL ID system. I am unfamiliar with this system and am interested in obtaining one and using it with my FreeAgent client. Can you steer me in that direction? Rudy Rudy wrote: > > I read Steves recent posting on potential ID improvements using the > CECIL ID system. I am unfamiliar with this system and am interested > in obtaining one and using it with my FreeAgent client. Can you steer > me in that direction? > Rudy You can read about and obtain the 'old' CECIL-ID, which is still...

Cecil-ID
I'm curious....what is this Cecil-ID thing and how do I get one? Anthony "Anthony Chippendale" <anthonyc@ufon.org> wrote in message news:9h9nhv$up4$1@news.grc.com... > I'm curious....what is this Cecil-ID thing and how do I get one? http://grc.com/noregrets.htm -- � -- Robert grc.com forum FAQ - http://grc.com/discussions.htm grc.com forum quick reference - http://grc.com/nntpquickref.htm Thank You "Robert Wycoff" <rwycoff@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:9h9nt2$v71$1@news.grc.com... > > "Anthony Chippendale&q...

CECIL id question?
Do they need to be the username need to be the same as the password or should it be different? I am using Free agent, Greg R Greg, The username and password need to be the same thing. Matias Greg R wrote: > Do they need to be the username need to be the same as the password or > should it be different? > > I am using Free agent, > > Greg R In article <4712q0lvlh9dr08qqsfdufd22n50r33ti2@4ax.com>, Greg R says... > Do they need to be the username need to be the same as the password or > should it be different? The same....

Cecil-ID-II
Just testing -- Trevor. ================= Trevor Collins Wagga Wagga NSW Australia ================= Trevor Collins wrote: >Just testing grc.ten-forward.tests for this please. :) -- Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" <http://www.helppchelp.com> <http://website.lineone.net/~legal.defence.fund/> Steve, I read yr article. I never got around to getting a Cecil-I ID. Will that matter? And will I just get asked one day to create one for Cecil-II? Nice and simple? BTW, why Cecil? AJ "Jim Crowther" <Don't.use.Lockdown@...

CECIL-ID #3
Forgive me for being naive but I saw that news.grc.com requires a identical username and password. In the guidelines it references the term "CECIL-ID" which oddly I can't find any information on at all. I can gather contextually that "CECIL-ID" is the term used to describe an identical username/password combo. However Google is quite unhelpful in finding a definition or information describing the process. Is "CECIL-ID" a made up term to describe this type of authentication? Or is it an actual term that wikipedia hasn't learned about yet? Curios...

Cecil-ID II
hi! how do we make our user name and password? via grc.com? i have read posts.. and no reference to that.. only to make up your "login name" and password..?? if so.. i tried that and that dont work... thanks, luke "luke" <luke-iinet@realmail.cjb.net> wrote in message news:1104_995277271@kaye... > hi! > > how do we make our user name and password? via grc.com? > > i have read posts.. and no reference to that.. only to make up your "login name" and password..?? > > if so.. i tried that and that dont work... ...

Cecil-ID encryption
does anybody know what encryption is used to encrypt your user id when you post a message? EG Poster: [12.214.91.148] (24 Nov 2002 18:33:35 GMT) {3+HX88FsvN/7GtPKMIbG4l+CjcI} can you get a user-id from " 3+HX88FsvN/7GtPKMIbG4l+CjcI "? martin "martin rothe" <martinr428@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:ce8c3r$ho2$1@news.grc.com... > does anybody know what encryption is used to encrypt your user id when you > post a message? > EG > Poster: [12.214.91.148] (24 Nov 2002 18:33:35 GMT) > {3+HX88FsvN/7GtPKMIbG4l+CjcI} > > can you ...

CECIL-ID #2
http://grc.com/noregrets.htm is Cecil-id still functioning in news.grc.com? - Yes? Why is Cecil-id not showing in my messages? Is posted in Organization header Outlook Express Dutch 6.00.2600.000 Organisatie: <x2i1ryljlha31znv3buvpz2sizro2yaa> -- Best regards, S|D, UTC + 2:00 P4 1.5GHz 640MB Ram Win98SE Dutch Broadband Router ADSL Up 128 kbps/ Down 750 kbps SystemDrive.be <SystemDrive.be@[nospam].invalid> writes: >http://grc.com/noregrets.htm > >is Cecil-id still functioning in news.grc.com? > >- Yes? Why is Cecil-id not showing in my message...

Cecil ID Help
After reading further in No Regrets I see I need a Cecil ID. Is there a page with information on how to get a Cecil ID? Is it a secret? -- Firewire Greetings, "Firewire" <PCfirewire@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9p1qu1$n2k$1@news.grc.com... > After reading further in No Regrets I see I need a Cecil ID. Is there a > page with information on how to get a Cecil ID? Is it a secret? You will need to have had your "CECIL ID" _before_ you can delete a post. Now that you have a passphrase you can use it by modifying your NG account. I bel...

Web resources about - cecil=id ? - grc.techtalk