Applications That Do Not Require User Interaction

My major client operates out of a secure facility such that I only have
access to their 35 or so machines 7:00 am to 5:00 pm (07:00 to 17:00)
Monday through Friday.  Consequently routine maintenance is a tough thing to
do.  Most of the users turn off their machines every evening so leaving them
running or asking the users to leave them on one night a week or something
like that is a non-starter.

To deal with this I have put together a framework that hides the "Turn Off
Computer" button and replaces it with a similar looking button that actuates
my "system" (calling it a system is a bit of stretch but there you go).  I
can have this framework run any almost application that does not require
user input and generate a report on the results if appropriate.  At the end
of the evening's work the computer shuts down.

The framework makes use of some simple text files that track when the last
time an application was run, how often it should run and sets a flag if it
is due to run.

To keep the folks that pay the bills calm I am only going to use Microsoft
native applications and Microsoft supplied applications during the initial
roll out but I need to do some things that I haven't found MS applications
for a bit down the road.  Chkdsk and defrag and a series of report
generators are handled well enough by MS stuff.

Finally - to the point of this post.  Do you folks know of suitable
applications - the no user interaction if the biggest deal - that will do
the following:

* "Scrub" the registry like CCleaner does (but not from the command line)
* List the updates for the non-MS applications like FileHippo's Update
Checker does (but again not from the command line)
* Supplemental malware scans (I do not have full confidence in Kaspersky -
it's not bad but I have seen it miss some important stuff)
* Everything else I haven't thought of.

If you have read this far - Thanks.

pn

0
Pseudo

"Pseudo Nym" <jawbone99@gmail.com> wrote in

> Consequently routine maintenance is a tough thing to
> do.  Most of the users turn off their machines every evening so
> leaving them running or asking the users to leave them on one night a
> week or something like that is a non-starter.

That is what the Login script is for.  Your start button hack is a
nightmare.  Use the built in Windows sections.
HKLM/...Login and ...logoff and ... runonexit.  You get my drift.
 My 2C

--
Ciao, Dave
0
"Pseudo Nym" <jawbone99@gmail.com> wrote in

> * "Scrub" the registry like CCleaner does (but not from the command
The registry does not need scrubbing in your environment.  The users don't
add and remove app all day do they?
> line) * List the updates for the non-MS applications like FileHippo's
> Update Checker does (but again not from the command line)
MS makes a system that used to be called SUS, then MOM, I don't know what
their centralized "push MS apps patches when I choose" suite is called now.
> * Supplemental malware scans (I do not have full confidence in
> Kaspersky - it's not bad but I have seen it miss some important stuff)
> * Everything else I haven't thought of.
My 2C
Rethink how this is structured so you can manage it better.
Does everyone have free for all access to the net and full desktop admin
rights?  Why?
Put in a firewall, like IPCop with BOT and Update Accellerator as a first
step?
Malware has many vectors, but the web is #1 in most places.

--
Ciao, Dave
0
On 05/23/10 23:18, Pseudo Nym wrote:
[]

IMHO your approach is good.

Don't need the special button; there are various "shutdown scripts"
about that invoke .bats as part of the shutdown process. You could also
edit the registry and add your own pointer. Use Google. e.g.:
<http://www.windows-help-central.com/windows-shutdown-script.html>

IIRC (windows-free for years now), CCleaner has a command-line option
(e.g. "silent") that allows it to be run as part of a script or .bat (I
used a .bat). It would be a good, simple tool for your application.

GRC thrives on Anti-Virus debates - IMHO if not Kaspersky, run Avira if
it has a command line option. If not Avira, Avast (if C/L option).

HTH
0
Roger
5/24/2010 3:54:42 PM

> Finally - to the point of this post.  Do you folks know of suitable
> applications - the no user interaction if the biggest deal - that will do
> the following:

Thanks for our aadvice and comments.

pn

0
Pseudo
5/26/2010 1:54:28 AM
"Pseudo Nym" <jawbone99@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Finally - to the point of this post.  Do you folks know of suitable
> applications - the no user interaction if the biggest deal - that will do
> the following:
>
> * "Scrub" the registry like CCleaner does (but not from the command line)
> * List the updates for the non-MS applications like FileHippo's Update
> Checker does (but again not from the command line)
> * Supplemental malware scans (I do not have full confidence in
> Kaspersky -
> it's not bad but I have seen it miss some important stuff)
> * Everything else I haven't thought of.
>
> If you have read this far - Thanks.
>
> pn

At one time MS had a registry cleaner. RegClean or something like that.
Haven't seen it is ages and don't know if it would work with W2k and up.
Last I used it was on ME. It was small, quick, easy and never caused a
problem. Probably is no longer available although I may still have it
around here on an old CD.

mb

0
moodybitch
5/27/2010 4:52:34 AM
Op 27-5-2010 6:52, moodybitch schreef:
> "Pseudo Nym" <jawbone99@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Finally - to the point of this post.  Do you folks know of suitable
>> applications - the no user interaction if the biggest deal - that will do
>> the following:
>>
>> * "Scrub" the registry like CCleaner does (but not from the command line)
>> * List the updates for the non-MS applications like FileHippo's Update
>> Checker does (but again not from the command line)
>> * Supplemental malware scans (I do not have full confidence in
>> Kaspersky -
>> it's not bad but I have seen it miss some important stuff)
>> * Everything else I haven't thought of.
>>
>> If you have read this far - Thanks.
>>
>> pn
>>

> At one time MS had a registry cleaner. RegClean or something like that.
> Haven't seen it is ages and don't know if it would work with W2k and up.
> Last I used it was on ME. It was small, quick, easy and never caused a
> problem. Probably is no longer available although I may still have it
> around here on an old CD.

Latest that I could find is version 4.1a Build 7364.1 :
http://majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_RegClean_d458.html

Date says 2002-01-23, so it should work with Win2k and probably XP too.

--
Dirk Engelage
to the house of a friend the road is never long
On Thu, 27 May 2010 06:42:02 +0100, Dirk Engelage <mail@spam.dump> wrote:

> Op 27-5-2010 6:52, moodybitch schreef:
>>
>> At one time MS had a registry cleaner. RegClean or something like that.
>> Haven't seen it is ages and don't know if it would work with W2k and up.
>> Last I used it was on ME. It was small, quick, easy and never caused a
>> problem. Probably is no longer available although I may still have it
>> around here on an old CD.
>
> Latest that I could find is version 4.1a Build 7364.1 :
> http://majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_RegClean_d458.html
>
> Date says 2002-01-23, so it should work with Win2k and probably XP too.

Be careful if using RegClean:
http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/XPMyths.html#Optimization

(search for RegClean on the above page)

--
Jarvis
0
On Thu, 27 May 2010 07:42:02 +0200, Dirk Engelage wrote:

> Latest that I could find is version 4.1a Build 7364.1 :
> http://majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_RegClean_d458.html
>
> Date says 2002-01-23, so it should work with Win2k and probably XP too.

It 'sort of' works with XP, but it can cause so many problems that
Microsoft no longer support its use. It is a pity that Majorgeeks are
still offering it for download (the download does not come from
Microsoft, who are supposed to have removed it from all their official
download locations).

--
(no nym)
0
> My major client operates out of a secure facility such that I only
> have access to their 35 or so machines 7:00 am to 5:00 pm (07:00
> to 17:00) Monday through Friday.  Consequently routine maintenance
> is a tough thing to do.  Most of the users turn off their machines
every
> evening so leaving them running or asking the users to leave them on
> one night a week or something like that is a non-starter.

Use the WoL, Luke :) ... and then the psshtudown as well; the idea is
that you may wake up the machines by sending them a "magic packet",
proceed running whatever check using (e.g.) a batch file stored on the
machine itself which you'll start using (e.g.) psexec and which will
then
perform all the needed operations and use psshutdown to power off
the machine at end

0
ObiWan

Required Rights for User Application
What rights are required in the Tree for the User Application ? Thanks -jim On 03/21/2008 04:09 AM, Jim Willeke wrote: > What rights are required in the Tree for the User Application ? > > Thanks > -jim You will find what you need here: http://tinyurl.com/25gzhl Thanks -jim John DaSilva wrote: > On 03/21/2008 04:09 AM, Jim Willeke wrote: > >> What rights are required in the Tree for the User Application ? >> >> Thanks >> -jim > > > You will find what you need here: > > http://tinyurl.com/25gzhl ...

User Application 3.6 with 3.51 User Application Driver
I'm trying to set up User Application 3.6 in a lab environment. When I start JBoss, I get an error " User application driver (UAD) is not compatible with User Application version 3.6. Please upgrade your UAD using Designer for Identity Manager." Designer version 2.1.1 doesn't prompt me to upgrade the driver. Do I need Designer 3.0? Doug Black;1584150 Wrote: > I'm trying to set up User Application 3.6 in a lab environment. When I > start JBoss, I get an error " User application driver (UAD) is not > compatible with User Applicati...

User Application load-balancing + fault tolerance ; User Application scaleability
Hello all, Please bare with these rather naive questions regarding the U.A. I'm trying to confirm/infirm some possibilities for a customer and I cannot find all the information I'd need in the Novell documentation. Is there any other way to do load balancing + fault tolerance with U.A. beyond using JBoss clustering ? I suppose one way would be to have two completely distinct U.A. installs (each with its own DB) and do load-balancing through a dedicated device (web gateway/proxy). Any other idea ? I highly suspect running two separate instances of the U.A. using the same...

Multiple User application
I am hoping that someone can guide me through the solution to the following question. I have a disconnected ADO recordset that uses a join between two tables, this recordset is then used to populate a form. A TDBNavigator control allows the user to move through the recordset and delete or edit a record. I should say that there are TDBLookupComboBoxes that hold values. Not sure if this makes a different to the task. I would like to allow for multiple users so I will have to cater for a user either deleting or editing a record that another user may have say edited. So far I ...

Application Logon User required in Reports
Hello All,  How do I bring in the application's login user name to Crystal Report? Thanks and Regards Nick All,, Pls help me. Can anyone please help me ?  I have a table which stores username and password of the registered users. When the user access the application i would like to pass the login user details to the crystal report   Example Username in Application is ABC ABC logs into the application and access the report page. I wanted the ABC name there in Report, i mean CrstalReports1.rpt Can anyone please help me? Regards Nick   Normally no ne...

if web application is already open by one users, then do other user can use this web application also?
I have asp.net 2.0 and I have developed web simple web applications and it is on the server so how do I know if multiple users can use this websites at the same time Questtion: by default asp.net allow multiple users to access web page. if web application is already open by one users, then do other user can use this web application also? thankk u maxmax Yes, ASP.Net application can be accessed concurrently by multiple users.~ Remember To Mark The Posts Which Helped You As The ANSWER ~ IIS (which serves up your ASP.NET 2.0 website) is designed to service multiple users, so each new ...

references and books required on good web-user interaction design
Hi, don't know if this is the right post, but I'm looking for some good books and/or resources about user interaction with web sites. Especially about how to do things, why and more importantly why not doing things. Especially when it comes to web 2.0 stuff like Ajax etc... Because all these new technologies are very cool, nice and fancy when you read about it, do examples and see presentations, but when it comes to develop a real application that needs high performance and other things that are used by people from morning till evening, we find out that about 80% of those cool stuff ...

Internet Explorer arbitrary command execution (user interaction required)
The Internet Explorer "View. Source" feature, appears not to use a fully specified path to notepad.exe. If an attacker is able to convince the user to download (or otherwise have) a file named notepad.bat / notepad.exe on their desktop, it will be executed when clicking "View. Source" in Internet Explorer. Additionally on Windows XP (pre SP2) the view source feature can be run automatically on visiting a web page (in service pack 2 the view source feature appears to have been removed, additionally the warning toolbar is displayed). http://www.rootsecure.net/?p=rep...

How can I handle User History/Log module for web application interaction.
Dear all,   How can I store the operation of user in the database. like User Web interaction like Insert ,delete,update operation in the datatabase.   How can I create history/log  module for web application?Thanks & Regards,Murthy. Hi, murthysrn: Dear all,   How can I store the operation of user in the database. like User Web interaction like Insert ,delete,update operation in the datatabase.   How can I create history/log  module for web application? You can create a table for storing the operation of user. Insert the operation when...

Multi-Module Application
All, We are working on a multi-module application. Things are going very well, and the intermodule communication is a thing of beauty. Now we have run into a roadblock. We need to be able to keep the user on the page with all the connected modules until they update or cancel. I have Scott Mitchell's code from 4GuysFromRolla which works fine in a test environment, but in our app, the Update and Cancel are in the top-most module, not in each one on the page. The sub modules are being passed an Update or Cancel event from the top module. Does anyone have any suggestions for ...

Server Error in '/' Application
This may be a commonly asked question with, hopefully, a ridiculously easy solution:Is there a way of getting the remote server to generate a more user-friendly ASP.NET error message than:Server Error in '/' Application.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------No data exists for the row/column. when a user inputs non-matching data in a 3-box login form?RegardsRedcarJohn Create the following in your web.config:<customErrors defaultRedirect="error.aspx" mode="RemoteOnly" />Then create an error.aspx file, with some nice text in it. I...

API for user authenticatin for User Application?
Novell User Application 3.6.1 / Jboss / WIndows Server 2003. Hi We are integrating our application with the Novell User application through its Web services API in order to interact with its Role system and Reques and Approval module. I was wondering, when it comes to user authentication, is there any API exposed by the user application? ( non documented or documented) which we can use for our application instead of developing at our own? Regards, Maqsood. -- love anything that talks binary! ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection
This is my first time to deploy an asp.net2 web site. Everything is working fine on my local computer but when i published the web site on a remote computer i get the error "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed" (only in pages that try to access the database) Help pleaseee Hi You could take a look at this : http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=152338&SiteID=1Sincerely,Young Fang Hi ...

Role approvals stuck on "Approval start-Suspended" when Approval is required (3.6 User Application)
When I set the Approval required to yes on a role the approval request won't get further than "Approval Start - Suspended" Do I need to configure something additional ? - I'm Using Standard Approval - Yes; The approver is the Admin User. JvH. On 02/07/2008 06:45 AM, JvH wrote: > When I set the Approval required to yes on a role the approval request won't > get further than "Approval Start - Suspended" > > Do I need to configure something additional ? - I'm Using Standard > Approval - Yes; The approver is the Admi...

Web resources about - Applications That Do Not Require User Interaction - grc.techtalk

ACT development application volume falls between 2015 and 2014
Development applications dropped in the ACT in 2015 compared with 2014, year-end government figures show.

Patent application shows Apple Watch band that transforms into a case, stand and Mac accessory
An Apple patent application published today reveals an idea for an interesting variation on the magnetically-closed Milanese Loop band that allows ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications ...
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 27 percent from ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush