adding second computer, how to network?

I've long had a single desktop w/cable modem and Zonealarm.  Now we are
adding a laptop which will normally be located at the other end of the
house.  Some questions:

1.  Is putting a pcmcia wireless card in the laptop and a usb wireless in
the desktop the simplest solution for sharing files, printer?

2.  What is the practical range?

3.  If I also want to share my internet connection (AT&T Broadband) can I
simply use ICS with my current desktop setup?

4.  Do I have to get a second IP from my ISP?

Thanks for your help, this newsgroup gives the best advice of any I have
found.

Mike
mlbarton@alum.mit.edu
0
Michael

"Michael Barton" <mlbarton@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> I've long had a single desktop w/cable modem and Zonealarm.  Now we are
> adding a laptop which will normally be located at the other end of the
> house.  Some questions:
>
> 1.  Is putting a pcmcia wireless card in the laptop and a usb wireless in
> the desktop the simplest solution for sharing files, printer?

Probably, unless there is mission critical privacy reason not to....

> 2.  What is the practical range?

Can't answer but guess "Cordless Phone" depending on walls thicksness etc.

> 3.  If I also want to share my internet connection (AT&T Broadband) can I
> simply use ICS with my current desktop setup?

Yes, don't change anything on that unless you have problems, simply choose
to "Share this connection". Reason I say this is because changing things you
don't need to at this time muddies the water when your file sharing doesn't
work etc...

> 4.  Do I have to get a second IP from my ISP?

Certainly not. Your IP settings for the cable connector want to remain as
they are, when you have fitted another adaptor (after which you change the
original settings to share the connection) the second adaptor, whatever it
is, will get the internal IP 192.168.0.1. The laptop or whatever, when it
connects will probably be given a 192.168.0.xxx IP and you can either fix
this or have it automatically issued by the first machine. They recommend
automatic but it really doesn't matter. For laptops it avoids a possible
conflict is all.

> Thanks for your help, this newsgroup gives the best advice of any I have
> found.
>
> Mike
> mlbarton@alum.mit.edu

Decide on what type of connection now I guess. Wire may be expensive /
awkward. Used to be cheap for coaxial ethernet but they don't make the
adaptors now and naturally progress = better profits for the industry.

Charlie
0
Charlie
12/15/2001 8:46:00 PM

Charlie Tame wrote:

> "Michael Barton" <mlbarton@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> > I've long had a single desktop w/cable modem and Zonealarm.  Now we are
> > adding a laptop which will normally be located at the other end of the
> > house.  Some questions:
> >
> > 1.  Is putting a pcmcia wireless card in the laptop and a usb wireless in
> > the desktop the simplest solution for sharing files, printer?
>
> Probably, unless there is mission critical privacy reason not to....

The question I wonder about is how to test the interference concerns
prior to investing the $$$ on the adapters?  It would be a bother to
invest in the system and then find that there's one wall between the two
machines that is all steel (like the main plumbing column) and blocks
you out just where you wanted to work.

What do you think of the phone line networks that use the existing
in-the-wall wiring from the phone company?  This avoids many of the
interference issues, but does leave you cabled.

For two machines, a simple Ethernet cross-over cable would suffice to
make a network, but the hassle of running the wire through the walls
could be big--not to mention the cable costs.

For my two computer network, I use AnalogX's Proxy to share my internet
connection.  Small and stable, it works for me and is compatable with
Tiny Personal Firewall on the gateway machine.

mikkl
0
mikkl
12/16/2001 8:04:00 AM
> I've long had a single desktop w/cable modem and Zonealarm.  Now we are
> adding a laptop which will normally be located at the other end of the
> house.  Some questions:
>
> 1.  Is putting a pcmcia wireless card in the laptop and a usb wireless in
> the desktop the simplest solution for sharing files, printer?

Well, it depends, if You don't want to install some utp cables to connect
the two machines I see no other solution, on the other side a "cabled" net
has much more speed/reliability, a good alternative could be using a PNA
(Phone Line network)  which will use existing phone lines to connect the
machines together

> 2.  What is the practical range?

The range is not fixed, it varies in function of the "obstacles" and of the
type
of them, in any case I suggest You to take a look to "PraticallyNetworked"
(http://www.practicallynetworked.com) which could help You decide which
network layout should be suitable to Your needs

> 3.  If I also want to share my internet connection (AT&T Broadband) can I
> simply use ICS with my current desktop setup?

Same site as above (see the sharing section)

> 4.  Do I have to get a second IP from my ISP?

No, if You use ICS or a proxy server You'll need only a single IP, the other
machine will use that IP for its communications to the internet.

As a last note I suggest You to install a personal firewall on both machines
so that You'll have outbound (and inbound) protection enabled.

Good Luck and ... Merry Christmas
0
ObiWan

Adding a Macintosh computer to the network
We are running NW6.5SP5 and BorderManager3.8SP4. Our new principal insists on using his MAC. We are currently a 100% PC network. How do I go about allowing his MAC on the network? Is it as easy as adding MAC namespace to the server and setting up the MAC to use DHCP? Is there a client that gets put onto the MAC? Thanks for any help, Kathy On 12/07/06 Kathy wrote: > How do I go about allowing his MAC on the network? Simply turn it on; by default it will be using DHCP I'm sure. > Is it as easy as adding MAC namespace to the server Assuming you have N...

Adding new Computer to Network
Due to emergecny situation our network administraor is off work for at least several weeks. I need to know how to add a new Windows XP computer to the network. I found note that says"download shells from Novell; install; reboot computer; follow instructions". Can anyone tell me where at Novell I find these "shells" and does it mean download the whole Clientware product? ANy help much appreciated. Dazed and Confused redeye562, > Due to emergecny situation our network administraor is off work for at > least several weeks. I need to know how to add a ne...

LUM broken after adding a second network adapter.
Hi! I configured the LUM on a OES2 server (SLES10Sp3/OES2Sp2 under VMware vSphere), everything was working until I added another network adapter to put it in the DMZ, now it has 2 ip addresses. I don't know what to check next. I recreate the certificate and there's no error from a dstrace of ldap. I run namconfig -k and rcnamcd restart, but it still don't find the user if I put "id novlxregd". The UNIX groups are ok, the other servers using LUM work. Can someone help me? thank you, Eric. -- eric_pouliot -----------------------------------------...

Setting up a second Delphi2007 computer to access network folders
HI all, this has me really stupmped. I am adding a second programmer using Delphi2007 (I have all the correct licenses) and after setting everything up. I am trying to access a file of common procedures, functions, etc. that we use. This file is :F\source\_common\lib32.pas (& lib32.dcu). Even after adding the F:\Source\_common directory to the projects Search Path I get an error saying "lib32.dcu" not found?? Why? Edward Malloy wrote: > HI all, this has me really stupmped. I am adding a second programmer > using Delphi2007 (I have all the correct licenses) and after...

Trouble adding second network card, NW6.5
Hi I have an e440 with built-in network card. I want to add an Intel network card. Done that, and the e440 sees it. Run nwconfig, and it says I must use hdetect to add hardware. When I run that it can't find the new network card. I can manually add it, but it lists loads of cards, with various slots and IDs and I even if I knew which was the right one, I can't actually see how I'd select one of the listed items. Surely it can't be this difficult ? > Run nwconfig, and it says I must use hdetect to add hardware. When I run > that it can't find the...

Refresh for second time a gridview which includes a second gridview, gives the error Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 's_no' Key being added: '_no'
I have a gridview which includes another gridview in a template field. Included gridview is resfreshed in 'RowCreated' event of first gridview based on its' datakey values. 'Their data are refreshed by clicking a button. The first time both gridviews are filled with data without any problem. The next time I click on button for refreshing their data, I get the error Key in dictionary: 's_no'  Key being added: 's_no'. 's_no' is a datakey column of included gridview. What is the problem ?...

Adding a second snmp agent to support a second cluster.
Does anyone have documention on how to add a second service so i can publish for a second cluster on a custom snmp port? I've got one custom port set up already and need to add another. Due to constraints imposed by the NT operating system you cannot use custom SNMP ports with that OS. NT's profile loading when you run a service as a user doesn't work so, you can't set user envars and have the Service Control Manager (SCM) set them before the service runs. You can use custom snmp ports on UNIX or Windows 2000/XP by modifying these environment variables: SR_SN...

Active Directory computers and collect information from AD remote computers.
Hello! We Are developing a Discovery Project on ASP.Net Platform with C#, which collects  Information of domain members in a network. The sample code we use as below /*Code For Impersonating an Active Directory Domain User*/ /*The LogonUser is a user defined class. We use Win32 function LogonUserA to do the impersonation. It has been tested and works well. The application-specified username and password (Encrypted) is stored in our application database and can be changed by our application user at anytime. */            ...

Second computer
I will be buying a laptop shortly. My main computer is a desktop. Just wondering how to get T-bird onto that laptop. I presume I'll start by downloading the program. What about settings? Does Mozbackup come into play here?? On 01/18/2016 10:18 PM, Marty wrote: > I will be buying a laptop shortly. My main computer is a desktop. Just > wondering how to get T-bird onto that laptop. I presume I'll start by > downloading the program. What about settings? Does Mozbackup come into > play here?? Yes, download and install the program. Don't run it, just install....

adding not adding
This line of code is adding one number after the other, not adding them togethertheTotal = parseFloat(theTotal + f.elements.value)so if you had 1 2 3 4 if shows 1234 not 10.any ideas why???I think this is the line anyway, here is the whole function;function updateTotal(f) {     theTotal = 0     for(i=0;i<f.elements.length;i++) {     elName = f.elements.name     if(elName.substr(0,9)=="subtotal_") {        theTotal = parseFloat(theTotal + f.elements.value)   &nb...

Network Computers
I need to prompt the user to specify the computer name on which the SQL Server is installed. Is there an API available to populate the list of computers on the netwrok so that the user can select it from a pre-populated list instead of them typing thus reducing errors. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp I use NetQueryDisplayInformation. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/netmgmt/netmgmt/NetQueryDisplayInformation.asp?frame=true > I need to prompt the user to specify the computer name on > which the S...

ads ads
Name: erhart sopp Email: edeb22atcomcastdotnet Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: ads ads Comments: get rid of these ads before i go to another browser Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008032620 Firefox/3.0b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

How many computer browsers do I need for 3 XP computers in a peer network?
I can't browse some of the directories of other computers and I've read something about too many computer browsers, but I haven't found any guidelines. Does anyone know how to set up the Computer Browser Service on each computer? -- Robert Robert Wycoff wrote: > Does anyone know how to set up the Computer Browser Service on each > computer? > It's a registry fix. In my experience, rather than let the machines vote on the issue of which one is Master Browser, it will work better if you decide and set each registry thus. Google with &qu...

Adding AD User to AD Group
Hello All,  This is my first posting on this forum, although I have found some great answers here...anyway, to my problem...I cannot get this code to actually work.  It runs just fine, but the user does not get added to the group, so I'm having a hard time figuring this out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance... Jim P.  Here is the code:1 Public Shared Function GetGroupDN(ByVal adGroup As String, ByVal strAuthUser As String, ByVal strPassword As String) As String 2 3 Dim dirEntry As DirectoryEntry = New DirectoryEntry("LDAP:...

Web resources about - adding second computer, how to network? - grc.techtalk

Computer Show

Royal Melbourne Hospital attacked by damaging computer virus
A virus has attacked the computer system of one of Melbourne's largest hospital networks, causing chaos for staff and patients who may face delays ...

Donald Trump says he will force Apple to build its “computers and things” in the United States
... told the audience at Liberty University that to bring manufacturing jobs back to the United States he would make Apple “build their damn computers ...

Pushbullet adds picture messaging for computer
... was always there. It worked fine and I wondered why I had never used it before. This morning I realized why – Pushbullet just added computer-based ...

The software that turns any computer into an Android PC is now available for download
... talked about this Android initiative a few times already. The new software offers users a Windows-like Android experience on traditional computers. ...

Microsoft gives Reed College $500K to help build new computer science program
Liberal arts bastion Reed College has raised almost $5 million for its new computer science program. Now it can count Microsoft as a backer. ...

Donald Trump says he's going to make Apple build computers in the US
If elected, presidential candidate Donald Trump plans to make Apple start "building their damn computers and things in this country instead of ...

You Can Now Buy the 21 Bitcoin Computer With Bitcoin
21 Inc has announced that consumers can now use bitcoin to purchase its 21 Bitcoin Computer.