Ubuntu 10.10 on 10/10/10 at 10:10:10

Kinda neet.  I imagine that time was UTC?

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:28:14 -0400, Bill_MI wrote:

> Kinda neet.  I imagine that time was UTC?

Released on 10/10/10, at 10:10:10??  We'll have to call this one Ubuntu
Masonic! :-)
0
Bob
10/10/2010 11:06:01 PM
Bill_MI wrote:
> Kinda neet.  I imagine that time was UTC?

Installed last night on my testbed laptop. Installer is different from
previous versions. Main improvement is that the bootloader installation
is not hidden behind an Advanced button on the last screen. Early in the
process, on the same screen where one sets the partitioning layout, the
bootloader installation is also offered, with a dropdown menu for either
MBR or partition.

Otherwise, it installed and ran as expected. Install was much slower
compared with other distros, but that is not unusual for Ubuntu. It can
be shortened I'm sure by not being online and thereby avoiding the
download of the language packs and other software.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 23:06:01 +0000 (UTC), Bob Trevithick wrote:

>Released on 10/10/10, at 10:10:10??  We'll have to call this one Ubuntu
>Masonic! :-)

Hi Bob,

I'm feeling dense.  But I did a little research:
http://www.masonicdictionary.com/numbers.html

Ten never mentioned.  Can I ask a favor?  Bet you know what it is
without my even asking? :-)

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
10/11/2010 5:16:53 PM
Hi Mark,

How's boot and shutdown times?  I was really impressed with 10.04 in
that regard.

In general, 10.04 "feels" unstable to me.  Best I can describe is like
a non-repeatability of little things, behaviors or events.  Maybe my
older hardware.  It freezes regularly on my 2003 vintage laptop (now
playing with Salix) but not on my AMD-K7.

But is 10.10 any better or will my hardware diverge even more?  That's
what I'm wondering.

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
10/11/2010 5:22:54 PM
Bill_MI wrote:

> How's boot and shutdown times?  I was really impressed with 10.04 in
> that regard.

Those do seem (subjectively) to be substantially quicker in the last
couple iterations of Ubuntu than the other distros I frequent. Shutdown
especially. Haven't done any actual timing, though.

> In general, 10.04 "feels" unstable to me.  Best I can describe is like
> a non-repeatability of little things, behaviors or events.  Maybe my
> older hardware.  It freezes regularly on my 2003 vintage laptop (now
> playing with Salix) but not on my AMD-K7.

For years I used a circa 2000 Dell Latitude PIII-700MHz/512MB. Now I've
got a circa 2005 Vaio P4-2.8GHz/1024MB. On both, Ubuntu just seems a
little "thick" or "mushy" to me, compared to MEPIS or PCLOS. Mint feels
the same way. (Mint Debian, OTOH, is freaking *quick*.) No real issues
or glitches or bugs. That's about as specific as I can get.

> But is 10.10 any better or will my hardware diverge even more?  That's
> what I'm wondering.

Can't say. My guess is that it would be fine. Doesn't take much to find
out. The Live CD should tell you if it's compatible with your hardware;
onliest way to check actual performance would be to install.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
10/11/2010 6:43:18 PM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:16:53 -0400, Bill_MI wrote:

> I'm feeling dense.  But I did a little research:
> http://www.masonicdictionary.com/numbers.html
>
> Ten never mentioned.  Can I ask a favor?  Bet you know what it is
> without my even asking? :-)

Hi Bill,

Sorry, just a little joke about the tinfoil hat crowd and "magical
thinking."  Most of the tinfoil folks look at the Scottish Rite
Freemason's fascination with special dates, and have a ball trying to
interpret and predict.

<http://parabook.wordpress.com/2010/02/20/numerology-and-the-freemasons/>

Just seemed like, since this was the "M" series (Maverick) of Ubuntu,
maybe Ubuntu Masonic, or Ubuntu "Magic Mason", would have been the
perfect name.

Sorry.. bad joke.. :)

Bob

p.s.  If any Masons read this, I understand that you're the good guys! :)
0
Bob
10/11/2010 6:51:24 PM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:43:18 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> For years I used a circa 2000 Dell Latitude PIII-700MHz/512MB. Now I've
> got a circa 2005 Vaio P4-2.8GHz/1024MB. On both, Ubuntu just seems a
> little "thick" or "mushy" to me, compared to MEPIS or PCLOS. Mint feels
> the same way. (Mint Debian, OTOH, is freaking *quick*.) No real issues
> or glitches or bugs. That's about as specific as I can get.

Mark, where's the best download torrent site for Mint Debian?  And, if
you know, why is it so quick?  Oh, and do they have LXDE versions?
Sounds like just what I need right now.. something new to play with.
0
Bob
10/11/2010 7:05:23 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:
> Mark Warner wrote:
>>
>> For years I used a circa 2000 Dell Latitude PIII-700MHz/512MB. Now I've
>> got a circa 2005 Vaio P4-2.8GHz/1024MB. On both, Ubuntu just seems a
>> little "thick" or "mushy" to me, compared to MEPIS or PCLOS. Mint feels
>> the same way. (Mint Debian, OTOH, is freaking *quick*.) No real issues
>> or glitches or bugs. That's about as specific as I can get.
>
> Mark, where's the best download torrent site for Mint Debian?  And, if
> you know, why is it so quick?  Oh, and do they have LXDE versions?
> Sounds like just what I need right now.. something new to play with.

Torrent for the LXDE version of the Ubuntu-based Mint 9 is available here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=60

Torrent for Mint Debian is available here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=66

Can't say if those are the "best" but the are the official ones and I've
had good results using them in the past.

I can only speculate that Mint Debian is as quick as it is because it's
not running on the Ubuntu base. The Debian-based MEPIS that I favor is
subjectively quicker as well. There's just something about Ubuntu and
its derivatives that seems to be a bit sluggish to me. <shrug>

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
10/11/2010 7:46:31 PM
Bill_MI wrote:

> In general, 10.04 "feels" unstable to me.  Best I can describe is like
> a non-repeatability of little things, behaviors or events.  Maybe my
> older hardware.  It freezes regularly on my 2003 vintage laptop (now
> playing with Salix) but not on my AMD-K7.

I know what you mean, I've found some instability in both the gnome 2.8
and kde 4.4 desktops, probably because that they are the latest, they
may improve with time.

I've been using 10.04 with the Trinity kde 3.5 desktop, currently it's
the best, has been extremely stable, it's at the bottom of this page:
http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/index_old.html

I'm currently downloading the 10.10 version, released today, so that I
can give it a try, it can be found here:
http://mirror.its.uidaho.edu/pub/trinity/cdimages/kubuntu/maverick/
Gotta go the download just completed. :-)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/11/2010 8:05:45 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:

> Mark, where's the best download torrent site for Mint Debian?  And, if
> you know, why is it so quick?  Oh, and do they have LXDE versions?
> Sounds like just what I need right now.. something new to play with.

Be advised that the Mint Debian installer does *not* allow you to
install the bootloader to a partition -- it's MBR or nuthin'.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
10/11/2010 9:01:00 PM
Mark Warner wrote:
> Bob Trevithick wrote:
>>
>> Mark, where's the best download torrent site for Mint Debian?  And, if
>> you know, why is it so quick?  Oh, and do they have LXDE versions?
>> Sounds like just what I need right now.. something new to play with.
>
> Be advised that the Mint Debian installer does *not* allow you to
> install the bootloader to a partition -- it's MBR or nuthin'.

Are you sure? "Not that I care for Linux Mint", I've always found that
pressing the "advanced button" would allow me to choose where to install
grub.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 10.10 - Trinity KDE 3.5.12 - EXT4 - 64-bit at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/11/2010 9:52:51 PM
Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> I'm currently downloading the 10.10 version, released today, so that I
> can give it a try, it can be found here:
> http://mirror.its.uidaho.edu/pub/trinity/cdimages/kubuntu/maverick/
> Gotta go the download just completed. :-)

Installing 10.10 trinity, I used the unetbootin installer, probably the
same for cd-r install, on booting go straight for the install any other
choice will boot to the busy box, boot it and you will see install is
one of the choices, it still boots to the desktop like a live cd should.

Something is wrong with the trinity repo link and I still need to add
media-ubuntu, out side of that it seems to be working fine.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 10.10 - Trinity KDE 3.5.12 - EXT4 - 64-bit at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/11/2010 10:03:34 PM
Mark Warner wrote:

> Otherwise, it installed and ran as expected. Install was much slower
> compared with other distros, but that is not unusual for Ubuntu. It can
> be shortened I'm sure by not being online and thereby avoiding the
> download of the language packs and other software.

Even 10.10 trinity iso is using the new installer, it don't seem to be
any slower than other mint - ubuntu installs, but, it is slower than
some other distros that's for sure, it boots faster than 10.04 though.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 10.10 - Trinity KDE 3.5.12 - EXT4 - 64-bit at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/11/2010 10:10:55 PM
Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Mark Warner wrote:
>>
>> Be advised that the Mint Debian installer does *not* allow you to
>> install the bootloader to a partition -- it's MBR or nuthin'.
>
> Are you sure? "Not that I care for Linux Mint", I've always found that
> pressing the "advanced button" would allow me to choose where to install
> grub.

Yup. I'm sure. The installer for Mint Debian is different than the
Ubuntu installer that is used in the Ubuntu-based versions. (And that
may change soon, as the new Ubuntu installer is even different from both.)

It was discussed widely on the Mint forum when Mint Debian was first
released.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
10/11/2010 10:38:06 PM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:46:31 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> I can only speculate that Mint Debian is as quick as it is because it's
> not running on the Ubuntu base. The Debian-based MEPIS that I favor is
> subjectively quicker as well. There's just something about Ubuntu and
> its derivatives that seems to be a bit sluggish to me. <shrug>

Whatever the reason, I'm now hooked on Mint.  Wow.  Fast and clean,
compared to the Ubuntu experience I've been used to.  Today installed the
Gnome version, tomorrow will try the LXDE version.  I'm impressed!! Not
that that means anything.  :-)

Thanks.
0
Bob
10/11/2010 10:43:12 PM
Mark Warner wrote:

> For years I used a circa 2000 Dell Latitude PIII-700MHz/512MB. Now I've
> got a circa 2005 Vaio P4-2.8GHz/1024MB. On both, Ubuntu just seems a
> little "thick" or "mushy" to me, compared to MEPIS or PCLOS. Mint feels
> the same way. (Mint Debian, OTOH, is freaking *quick*.) No real issues
> or glitches or bugs. That's about as specific as I can get.

After further review, I must say that this install of Ubuntu "feels"
quicker/crisper than other versions on the same hardware. Nothing
concrete, just my totally subjective opinion. YMMV.

--
Mark Warner
....goin' mobile with Ubuntu Linux
Registered Linux User #415318
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
10/11/2010 10:53:57 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:
> Mark Warner wrote:
>>
>> I can only speculate that Mint Debian is as quick as it is because it's
>> not running on the Ubuntu base. The Debian-based MEPIS that I favor is
>> subjectively quicker as well. There's just something about Ubuntu and
>> its derivatives that seems to be a bit sluggish to me. <shrug>
>
> Whatever the reason, I'm now hooked on Mint.  Wow.  Fast and clean,
> compared to the Ubuntu experience I've been used to.  Today installed the
> Gnome version, tomorrow will try the LXDE version.  I'm impressed!! Not
> that that means anything.  :-)

Did you install the Mint Debian (Gnome), or the Mint 9 Isadora (Gnome)?
It was the speed of Mint Debian that impressed me so much. Mint 9
Isadora, based on Ubuntu 10.04, performed the same as Ubuntu for me.

--
Mark Warner
....goin' mobile with Ubuntu Linux
Registered Linux User #415318
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
10/11/2010 10:59:10 PM
Mark Warner wrote:
> Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>> Mark Warner wrote:
>>>
>>> Be advised that the Mint Debian installer does *not* allow you to
>>> install the bootloader to a partition -- it's MBR or nuthin'.
>>
>> Are you sure? "Not that I care for Linux Mint", I've always found that
>> pressing the "advanced button" would allow me to choose where to

> Yup. I'm sure. The installer for Mint Debian is different than the
> Ubuntu installer that is used in the Ubuntu-based versions. (And that
> may change soon, as the new Ubuntu installer is even different from both.)
>
> It was discussed widely on the Mint forum when Mint Debian was first
> released.

Mark, I've installed Mint 10.04 kde4 and Mint 10.04 gnome and both had
the advanced button and I did install both to the partition and not to
the mbr. ;-)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 10.10 - Trinity KDE 3.5.12 - EXT4 - 64-bit at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/11/2010 11:10:15 PM
Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> Mark, I've installed Mint 10.04 kde4 and Mint 10.04 gnome and both had
> the advanced button and I did install both to the partition and not to
> the mbr. ;-)

I know they do. Read for comprehension, Jimmy.  :-)

I'm talking about MINT DEBIAN. It's a completely different offering,
based on Debian testing, not Ubuntu.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

--
Mark Warner
....goin' mobile with Ubuntu Linux
Registered Linux User #415318
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
10/11/2010 11:21:25 PM
Mark Warner wrote:

> I'm talking about MINT DEBIAN. It's a completely different offering,
> based on Debian testing, not Ubuntu.
>
> http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Oh, OK. :-)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 10.10 - Trinity KDE 3.5.12 - EXT4 - 64-bit at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/11/2010 11:30:43 PM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:59:10 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> Did you install the Mint Debian (Gnome), or the Mint 9 Isadora (Gnome)?
> It was the speed of Mint Debian that impressed me so much. Mint 9
> Isadora, based on Ubuntu 10.04, performed the same as Ubuntu for me.

I installed the Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" - Gnome CD (64-bit)

You mean it gets better?? :)  This sure feels faster to me. These
subjective measurements probably aren't very helpful, are they? :)

Dumb question, but where do you get libdvdcss2 from when you're on pure
Debian?
0
Bob
10/11/2010 11:54:32 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:
> Mark Warner wrote:
>>
>> Did you install the Mint Debian (Gnome), or the Mint 9 Isadora (Gnome)?
>> It was the speed of Mint Debian that impressed me so much. Mint 9
>> Isadora, based on Ubuntu 10.04, performed the same as Ubuntu for me.
>
> I installed the Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" - Gnome CD (64-bit)
>
> You mean it gets better?? :)  This sure feels faster to me. These
> subjective measurements probably aren't very helpful, are they? :)
>
> Dumb question, but where do you get libdvdcss2 from when you're on pure
> Debian?

In Debian, you would pull that from debian-multimedia. I don't have an
install of Mint Debian handy, so can't say if it's listed and/or enabled
by default. For all I know, libdvdcss2 may be in the mint-debian repo.

http://debian-multimedia.org/

--
Mark Warner
....goin' mobile with Ubuntu Linux
Registered Linux User #415318
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
10/12/2010 12:12:33 AM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:43:18 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

>Those do seem (subjectively) to be substantially quicker in the last
>couple iterations of Ubuntu than the other distros I frequent. Shutdown
>especially. Haven't done any actual timing, though.

10.04 is off in 7 seconds on this old AMD Athlon XP 2600+.  A little
longer with certain apps running.  Yeah, shutdown more noticable but
startup is considerably faster than Win2K but I haven't timed it.

>For years I used a circa 2000 Dell Latitude PIII-700MHz/512MB. Now I've
>got a circa 2005 Vaio P4-2.8GHz/1024MB. On both, Ubuntu just seems a
>little "thick" or "mushy" to me, compared to MEPIS or PCLOS. Mint feels
>the same way. (Mint Debian, OTOH, is freaking *quick*.) No real issues
>or glitches or bugs. That's about as specific as I can get.

Much appreciated input - "thick" and "mushy" is a good description.
I'll definitely be looking at the new deb-Mint as it seems to be
heading my direction.

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
10/12/2010 12:23:47 AM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:51:24 +0000 (UTC), Bob Trevithick wrote:

>Just seemed like, since this was the "M" series (Maverick) of Ubuntu,
>maybe Ubuntu Masonic, or Ubuntu "Magic Mason", would have been the
>perfect name.

I did catch that... yeah, it could have been Masonic Meerkat (or
Muskrat or Mouse or Monkey...).

I amazed someone at work until I admitted version 10.10 wasn't as
coincidental by explaining Ubuntu versions.

>Sorry.. bad joke.. :)

LOL!  No problem.  So now I owe you one (and I'm full of 'em). :-)

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
10/12/2010 12:31:04 AM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:05:45 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

>I know what you mean, I've found some instability in both the gnome 2.8
>and kde 4.4 desktops, probably because that they are the latest, they
>may improve with time.

Hi JJ,

One example I was just reminded of which isn't directly desktop
related... but still Gnome...

GDM thrashes in a strange way.  Like... don't be too fast or it'll
ignore you.  In regular Ubuntu the sound effect is also up BEFORE it's
ready.  It seems "sloppy" if nothing else - and probably related to
all the udev-klooges trying to come up so quick.

Thanks for the input.

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
10/12/2010 1:50:35 AM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 22:43:12 +0000 (UTC), Bob Trevithick wrote:

>Whatever the reason, I'm now hooked on Mint.  Wow.  Fast and clean,
>compared to the Ubuntu experience I've been used to.  Today installed the
>Gnome version, tomorrow will try the LXDE version.  I'm impressed!! Not
>that that means anything.  :-)

Hey Bob, I want to hear how you like LXDE when you get there.  It's on
my short list to look deeper... much deeper.  As a keyboard-shortcut
dinosaur :) I loved the simple config file LXDE uses.

I think it was Lubuntu that introduced me to PCMan file manager -
Nautilus is just getting too cumbersome so I've been loading it
instead of Nautilus lately.

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
10/12/2010 1:58:34 AM
Bill_MI wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:05:45 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>
>> I know what you mean, I've found some instability in both the gnome 2.8
>> and kde 4.4 desktops, probably because that they are the latest, they
>> may improve with time.

> Hi JJ,
>
> One example I was just reminded of which isn't directly desktop
> related... but still Gnome...
>
> GDM thrashes in a strange way.  Like... don't be too fast or it'll
> ignore you.  In regular Ubuntu the sound effect is also up BEFORE it's
> ready.  It seems "sloppy" if nothing else - and probably related to
> all the udev-klooges trying to come up so quick.
>
> Thanks for the input.

No problem, it's actually the best gnome install I've ever had, the only
problem is, I'm a kde3.5 user. :-)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 10.10 - Trinity KDE 3.5.12 - EXT4 - 64-bit at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/12/2010 2:14:26 AM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:59:10 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> Did you install the Mint Debian (Gnome), or the Mint 9 Isadora (Gnome)?
> It was the speed of Mint Debian that impressed me so much. Mint 9
> Isadora, based on Ubuntu 10.04, performed the same as Ubuntu for me.

Ah, I think I messed up because I got the 64-bit version, and I only see
a pure Debian as a 32-bit.  The actual ISO is called "linuxmint-9-gnome-
cd-amd64.iso".  I guess that means I put the Ubuntu one on by mistake?
Which makes me wonder why I see the speedup.  Maybe it's a placebo
effect. :)  I don't think so, though.  Either way, I'll stick the 32-bit
Debian one on and see if I notice a difference.

Am I going to have to go searching for libdvdcss2 and all the codecs, or
are they easily accessible?

Okay, trying another install. :)

Oh, the LXDE version is *only* available as Ubuntu-based, correct?

Thanks!
0
Bob
10/12/2010 1:22:49 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:
> Mark Warner wrote:
>>
>> Did you install the Mint Debian (Gnome), or the Mint 9 Isadora (Gnome)?
>> It was the speed of Mint Debian that impressed me so much. Mint 9
>> Isadora, based on Ubuntu 10.04, performed the same as Ubuntu for me.
>
> Ah, I think I messed up because I got the 64-bit version, and I only see
> a pure Debian as a 32-bit.

That is correct.

> The actual ISO is called "linuxmint-9-gnome-
> cd-amd64.iso".  I guess that means I put the Ubuntu one on by mistake?
> Which makes me wonder why I see the speedup.  Maybe it's a placebo
> effect. :)  I don't think so, though.  Either way, I'll stick the 32-bit
> Debian one on and see if I notice a difference.

Note that the Debian based version is a DVD, not a CD.

> Am I going to have to go searching for libdvdcss2 and all the codecs, or
> are they easily accessible?

Without sitting in front of it I can't be sure, but knowing Mint I
suspect it/they are already included. Otherwise, it should be easily
added through the debian-multimedia repos for testing.

> Okay, trying another install. :)
>
> Oh, the LXDE version is *only* available as Ubuntu-based, correct?

Correct. All the various and sundry flavors of Mint are based on Ubuntu.
The exception is LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition), which is a 32-bit DVD
based on Debian testing (currently Squeeze)

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
10/12/2010 1:47:54 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:59:10 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:
>
>> Did you install the Mint Debian (Gnome), or the Mint 9 Isadora (Gnome)?
>> It was the speed of Mint Debian that impressed me so much. Mint 9
>> Isadora, based on Ubuntu 10.04, performed the same as Ubuntu for me.

> Ah, I think I messed up because I got the 64-bit version, and I only see
> a pure Debian as a 32-bit.  The actual ISO is called "linuxmint-9-gnome-
> cd-amd64.iso".  I guess that means I put the Ubuntu one on by mistake?

That's the one I installed, it's a nice build.

> Which makes me wonder why I see the speedup.  Maybe it's a placebo
> effect. :)  I don't think so, though.  Either way, I'll stick the 32-bit
> Debian one on and see if I notice a difference.
>
> Am I going to have to go searching for libdvdcss2 and all the codecs, or
> are they easily accessible?

There in the repos, just add the Ubuntu Multimedia repos and you'll find
them.

--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 10.10 - Trinity KDE 3.5.12 - EXT4 - 64-bit at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/12/2010 7:31:26 PM
Okay, got the LinuxMint Debian installed from the DVD.  Everything seems
pretty okay except for what's probably a simple problem.  Whenever I
install anything from the repositories, it warns me that it's not
authenticated.  I'm missing a signing key, I guess, and am not sure where
to get it.

This was the default install, with no changes except adding he google
repository to get google-chrome-unstable.

Like what I see so far.  Haven't had much chance yet to test drive it,
though.  Hopefully later today.  Also want to install the Mint version of
LXXDE, to see how it compares to the Lubuntu LXDE which is vying for a
place in the *ubuntu family.
0
Bob
10/14/2010 7:43:44 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:
> Okay, got the LinuxMint Debian installed from the DVD.  Everything seems
> pretty okay except for what's probably a simple problem.  Whenever I
> install anything from the repositories, it warns me that it's not
> authenticated.  I'm missing a signing key, I guess, and am not sure where
> to get it.

You're missing the key for Debian or Mint or...?

If it's the Debian key just do a package search using synaptic for deb
keyring and install debian-archive-keyring, for multimedia it's
debian-multimedia-keyring.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/14/2010 8:16:33 PM
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:16:33 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> Bob Trevithick wrote:
>> Okay, got the LinuxMint Debian installed from the DVD.  Everything
>> seems pretty okay except for what's probably a simple problem.
>> Whenever I install anything from the repositories, it warns me that
>> it's not authenticated.  I'm missing a signing key, I guess, and am not
>> sure where to get it.
>

> You're missing the key for Debian or Mint or...?
>
> If it's the Debian key just do a package search using synaptic for deb
> keyring and install debian-archive-keyring, for multimedia it's
> debian-multimedia-keyring.

I got that, but it didn't fix it.  A google showed this, though:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32155

Hmnm.
0
Bob
10/14/2010 8:37:16 PM
BTW, is the LinuxMint website incredibly slow-loading for other folks too?
0
Bob
10/14/2010 8:51:05 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:16:33 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>
>> Bob Trevithick wrote:
>>> Okay, got the LinuxMint Debian installed from the DVD.  Everything
>>> seems pretty okay except for what's probably a simple problem.
>>> Whenever I install anything from the repositories, it warns me that
>>> it's not authenticated.  I'm missing a signing key, I guess, and am not
>>> sure where to get it.

>> You're missing the key for Debian or Mint or...?
>>
>> If it's the Debian key just do a package search using synaptic for deb
>> keyring and install debian-archive-keyring, for multimedia it's
>> debian-multimedia-keyring.

> I got that, but it didn't fix it.  A google showed this, though:
>
> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32155
>
> Hmnm.

Never had that problem with Debian packages.

But I've see it with Mepis because Warren had not updated his certificates.

About keyrings, sometimes they are updated, the keyring will not show as
an upgrade even though it still needs to be reinstalled and reinstalling
will normally fix a keyring problem.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze - Trinity KDE 3.5.12 at sda12
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/14/2010 10:39:42 PM
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:39:42 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> About keyrings, sometimes they are updated, the keyring will not show as
> an upgrade even though it still needs to be reinstalled and reinstalling
> will normally fix a keyring problem.

Thanks Jimmy.

I'm going to keep this Mint Debian installed because I've never
experienced a "rolling" distribution.  I remember reading an article
where someone said that Ubuntu has proven their model of releases.
Essentially, the train leaves at a given time, and anything that's ready
gets on board.  Anything that's not ready waits until the next train.
Seemed reasonable.

Now I want to see what a "rolling" distribution is like.  I presume is
just keeps morphing, slowly, and there's never a major hurdle.

Either way, I have about five distros installed and customized and
working fine, and lots of backups, so this is just fun. :-)

Thanks again.. I've always appreciated your input here, and probably
should have said so more often.

Bob
0
Bob
10/14/2010 10:51:06 PM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:58:34 -0400, Bill_MI wrote:

> Hey Bob, I want to hear how you like LXDE when you get there.  It's on
> my short list to look deeper... much deeper.  As a keyboard-shortcut
> dinosaur :) I loved the simple config file LXDE uses.

Hi Bill,

I love LXDE, in general.  Lubuntu, the wannabe Ubuntu lightweight member,
seems a ways ahead of Mint's version of LXDE, but not enough to be a show-
stopper.  I have a 64-bit install of Lubuntu, and a 32-bit install of
Mint LXDE.  Pretty much a toss-up.

> I think it was Lubuntu that introduced me to PCMan file manager -
> Nautilus is just getting too cumbersome so I've been loading it instead
> of Nautilus lately.

Pcmanfm is super.  In fact, all of the LXDE stuff seems fast and clean.
My only problems with anything of the Mint camp are trivial but annoying
at the moment. :)

1) Nothing I have installed except Ubuntu Gnome will allow Audacity to
make a MONO recording without it freezing within a few minutes.  I have
to record in stereo and then mix it down to mono, for my needs.  Why this
doesn't happen under Ubuntu Gnome I have no clue.

The same problem exists under Lubuntu, Mint LXDE, and Mint Debian Gnome.

2) I think I'd come down in favor of Mint Debian, if I could solve the
problem of VLC giving no sound.  That seems to be the *only* show-stopper
with this distro.  I've done some searching in the Mint forums, but have
yet to find a solution.

This Mint Debian could turn into my favorite distro both for my own use
and for recommending to others, as most everything works out of the box,
including the inclusion of libdvdcss2.

So, their LXDE version is okay, their Isadora version (based on Ubuntu)
is superb, and their Debian-based Mint Debian shows promises of being the
all around winner.

All of this, of course, is simply my *humble* and somewhat inexperienced
opinion.

Bob
0
Bob
10/15/2010 4:32:29 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:

> Thanks Jimmy.
[...]
> Thanks again.. I've always appreciated your input here, and probably
> should have said so more often.

He's tolerable.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
10/15/2010 6:22:50 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:

> 2) I think I'd come down in favor of Mint Debian, if I could solve the
> problem of VLC giving no sound.  That seems to be the *only* show-stopper
> with this distro.  I've done some searching in the Mint forums, but have
> yet to find a solution.

The problem is, aether a channel in the mixer is not showing or it has a
channel volume turned down or a channel is muted. See if you can right
click and choose configure channels or see if a channel is turned down
or muted.  After a bit I will boot to my Mint gnome and see what I can find.

> This Mint Debian could turn into my favorite distro both for my own use
> and for recommending to others, as most everything works out of the box,
> including the inclusion of libdvdcss2.
>
> So, their LXDE version is okay, their Isadora version (based on Ubuntu)
> is superb, and their Debian-based Mint Debian shows promises of being the
> all around winner.
>
> All of this, of course, is simply my *humble* and somewhat inexperienced
> opinion.

Bob what is that system configured to use for it's repos, testing or
squeeze or?
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze - Trinity KDE 3.5.12 at sda12
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/15/2010 8:03:24 PM
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:03:24 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> The problem is, aether a channel in the mixer is not showing or it has a
> channel volume turned down or a channel is muted. See if you can right
> click and choose configure channels or see if a channel is turned down
> or muted.  After a bit I will boot to my Mint gnome and see what I can
> find.

You know, I thought I'd solved the problem when VLC was able to play ISO
copies of DVDs with sound.. and I was happy until I tried to play one of
Steve's SecurityNow episodes and found that it wouldn't play .mp3 files.
How can the sound work fine for one, but not another?  I'll go back to it
(I'm back in Ubuntu to listen to Steve at the moment) and see what I can
find.

Here is the fix that sort of worked:

<http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=70719>

> Bob what is that system configured to use for it's repos, testing or
> squeeze or?

The system (the Mint Debian install) is using precisely what it shipped
with..

I hope this doesn't wrap horribly.  I'll put a space between each line,
and hope. :)

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free

deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main

I added that last line, of course, to get google-chrome-unstable, but the
rest are what it came with.

Thanks!
Bob
0
Bob
10/15/2010 8:18:45 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:

> You know, I thought I'd solved the problem when VLC was able to play ISO
> copies of DVDs with sound.. and I was happy until I tried to play one of
> Steve's SecurityNow episodes and found that it wouldn't play .mp3 files.
> How can the sound work fine for one, but not another?

WAG:

VLC will play many/most formats natively, while other apps require
codecs to be present.

Do a Synaptic search on 'w32'; the w32codecs package should be available
from debian-multimedia. Install that and see if that helps.

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
0
Mark
10/15/2010 8:42:32 PM
Bob Trevithick wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:03:24 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>
>> The problem is, aether a channel in the mixer is not showing or it has a
>> channel volume turned down or a channel is muted. See if you can right
>> click and choose configure channels or see if a channel is turned down
>> or muted.  After a bit I will boot to my Mint gnome and see what I can
>> find.
>
> You know, I thought I'd solved the problem when VLC was able to play ISO
> copies of DVDs with sound.. and I was happy until I tried to play one of
> Steve's SecurityNow episodes and found that it wouldn't play .mp3 files.
> How can the sound work fine for one, but not another?  I'll go back to it
> (I'm back in Ubuntu to listen to Steve at the moment) and see what I can
> find.
>
> Here is the fix that sort of worked:
>
> <http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=70719>

If it works, go for it.

>> Bob what is that system configured to use for it's repos, testing or
>> squeeze or?

> The system (the Mint Debian install) is using precisely what it shipped
> with..
>
> I hope this doesn't wrap horribly.  I'll put a space between each line,
> and hope. :)
>
> deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
>
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
>
> deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main
>
> I added that last line, of course, to get google-chrome-unstable, but the
> rest are what it came with.

Wow! you really do have a rolling system, "testing" packages will never
stop, it will slowdown while in the squeeze freeze but when squeeze goes
stable you will start getting packages for the next stable release and
this will continue from one release to the next with constant upgrades.

I can assure you there will be problems along the way, they can be
solved and you will get advanced knowledge and it will keep you busy,
you Sir are on the road to learn more about your system. :-)

Now if you want to eventually have a stable system just change testing
to squeeze and then when squeeze goes stable the upgrades will slowdown
to just security upgrades.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze - Trinity KDE 3.5.12 at sda12
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy

10 of 10 :)
Name: Nikita Email: rastorantispamatmaildotru Product: Firefox Summary: 10 of 10 :) Comments: RUS: Верните, пожалуйста, возможность закрыть единственную открытую вкладку (при включенной опции "Всегда показывать панель вкладок) Return back, please, oppotunity to close only insert (if option "allways show insert board" cheked) Sorry my translation:( Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ru; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to t...

10 #10
Name: gallo Product: Minefield Summary: 10 Comments: this is great Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9a5pre) Gecko/20070513 Minefield/3.0a5pre ...

10/10
Name: Matthew Email: matusmarx_at_hotmail.com Product: Firefox 2 Beta 2 Summary: 10/10 Comments: this is truely a revolution fire fox is 100% in front of internet explorer! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060821 Firefox/2.0b2 ...

Follow-up and Summary of BIND/DNS and 10/10, 10/10
I post this for the benefit of anyone else who may (or may not!) wish to do the same. First off, thanks again to Mark Cross and "Col" for their generous assistance and patience with all this. Secondly, I've been able to eliminate a few superfluous settings and still keep the 10/10, 10/10 score on the http://test-ipv6.com/ site. On a WinXP Pro rig, using a SixXS (the tunnel broker for an IPv6 connection) AYIYA tunnel to pierce the NAT of my wireless modem, I have removed all port-forwards through it, reserved a DHCP lease to keep the IP static, kept its fir...

10 exponent 10
Hello, i found something strange, and try to understand how to avoid this. I have to put in a variable something that is the result of something like = ValueX * 10^ValueY ValueX is an integer as well as valueY. Value Y can range from 1 to 11, the result is loaded in a longlong variable. (PB11.5.1 4608) Everything works fine if ValueY is 1 to 9. If it is 10, i got a 'stupid' result. Just to clarify, i forced ValueX to 1, and, surprise 10^10 gives 1410065408 and 10^11 = 1215752192 !!!! If I try to put 10000000000 directly in the variable, it works. SO this is the e...

Opera 10.10 is out!
An excellent web browser. Now with Opera Unite built in! http://www.opera.com default wrote: > An excellent web browser. Now with Opera Unite built in! > > http://www.opera.com > > Not just 'critical', but November 23rd, 2009 Opera patches 'extremely severe' security hole http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=4990&tag=nl.e539 ...

14/10/10
Name: rafael.pontes25@hotmail.com Email: rafaeldotpontes25athotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: 14/10/10 Comments: rafael Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101014 Firefox/4.0b8pre From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Great 10/10
Name: Mikołaj Email: mikolew1atopdotpl Product: Firefox Summary: Great 10/10 Comments: Bardzo dobrym, wspaniałym pomsyłem był Firefox. Jestem szczęśliwy że kontynuujecie ulepszenie tego projektu i w mojej opinii to jest najlepsza przeglądarka internetowa na świecie. Bardzo dobry poziom bezpieczeństwa i mnóstwo dodatków znacznie podnosi wrażenie. Wspaniała robota :) (Niestety mój zasób słownicwtwa z języka angielskiego nie jest zbyt obszerny lepiej czytam niż piszę więc wersja angielska może zawierać błędy) (Very good, great idea was Firefox. I'm hap...

10.5/10
Name: ARTUR STOKLOSA Email: jotwu5atpocztadotfm Product: Firefox Summary: 10.5/10 Comments: that is so cool Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pl; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

10/10/87
Name: jcs2kl@hotmail.com Email: jcs2klathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: 10/10/87 Comments: =) Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101214 Firefox/4.0b8pre From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

test at 10.10 AM
test test "Praveen Hari" <phari@sybase.com> wrote in message news:#xI68sCNDHA.218@forums-2-dub... > test > > ...

Ubuntu 10.10 Config
--047d7b339229f78e2d04cb0590d2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Hello all: I am new to the list, so if this is not in the proper format, please let me know. Environment: I am running Ubuntu 10.10 with: Perl 5.10.1 wxWidgets 2.8.11 wxPerl .9702 (All loaded via the Ubuntu Software Center) I know these versions are dated at this point. I don't plan to upgrade to Ubuntu 11 or 12. Probably will move to Li...

QA Services Meeting, 10/20/10 at 10 am PDT
Please add any discussion items to the agenda: https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/QA_Services/Meetings/2010-10-20 * Dial In: 800-707-2533 conf 214 * Zombocom Conf Room * Every other Wednesday at 10 am PDT ...

Ubuntu 10.10 Bugs
The OLD issue/bug = "On boot keeps trying to mount 'UDEVD-WORK..../dev/null'" SEE on Ubuntu Answers page, and **note link to Bug Report**: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/575333 After UPGRADING from Ubuntu 10.04 to (full release) 10.10 the bug is STILL THERE! Note from Bug Report, I'm not the only one who still has the problem. ALSO SEE: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysinfo/+question/129340 **Note link to Bug Report** The bug is in the *SysInfo* utility. When you select "System" in the right s...

Web resources about - Ubuntu 10.10 on 10/10/10 at 10:10:10 - grc.techtalk.linux