Temp and Fan Sensors on a Dell GX620

I got used to having these in conky but suspect this Intel chipset, a
82945G or just plain "945" lacks any interfaces/hacking to any
temperature sensors or fan speeds.

System is Dell GX620 Pentium D running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (lucid).

I tried lm-sensors latest version.  I have the latest BIOS (the BIOS
setup has ZILCH on fan or temps, BTW).  I nosed around some cpu temp
info for other Intel systems, no help there.

Am I missing something?  Are fan and temp info possible on this
hardware?  Very little search info can't confirm I'm out of luck.

(BTW, the nVidia core temp is available from the proprietary driver
ok.)

TIA,

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50

Bill_MI said:

> I got used to having these in conky but suspect this Intel chipset, a
> 82945G or just plain "945" lacks any interfaces/hacking to any
> temperature sensors or fan speeds.
>
> System is Dell GX620 Pentium D running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (lucid).
>
> I tried lm-sensors latest version.  I have the latest BIOS (the BIOS
> setup has ZILCH on fan or temps, BTW).  I nosed around some cpu temp
> info for other Intel systems, no help there.
>
> Am I missing something?  Are fan and temp info possible on this
> hardware?  Very little search info can't confirm I'm out of luck.
>
> (BTW, the nVidia core temp is available from the proprietary driver ok.)
>
> TIA,
>
> Bill

I can tell you that cpu and mobo temps are available with a 915 chipset.

Later on today I can test a 945.

--
Dale Beckett
SimplyMEPIS 10.9.98 RC3
On Mon, 2 May 2011 16:38:52 +0000 (UTC), Dale Beckett wrote:

>I can tell you that cpu and mobo temps are available with a 915 chipset.
>
>Later on today I can test a 945.

Thanks much, Dale.  I'm looking forward to what you find.

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
5/2/2011 5:44:13 PM
Bill_MI said:

> On Mon, 2 May 2011 16:38:52 +0000 (UTC), Dale Beckett wrote:
>
>>I can tell you that cpu and mobo temps are available with a 915 chipset.
>>
>>Later on today I can test a 945.
>
> Thanks much, Dale.  I'm looking forward to what you find.
>
> Bill

On a ThinkPad T-43 (intel 915 chipset), cpu and mobo temps and cpu fan
speed are available.

On a Lenovo 3000 (945 chipset), only cpu temp is available.

Don't know if this is useful, but it's all I have.

--
Dale Beckett
SimplyMEPIS 10.9.98 RC3
On Tue, 3 May 2011 16:25:47 +0000 (UTC), Dale Beckett wrote:

>On a ThinkPad T-43 (intel 915 chipset), cpu and mobo temps and cpu fan
>speed are available.
>
>On a Lenovo 3000 (945 chipset), only cpu temp is available.
>
>Don't know if this is useful, but it's all I have.

Thanks, Dale.  I'm wondering what tells you what is available?

I'm lost in scripts like sensor-detect trying all their tricks and
coming up blank.

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
5/3/2011 5:13:14 PM
On Tue, 03 May 2011 13:13:14 -0400, Bill_MI wrote:

>I'm lost in scripts like sensor-detect trying all their tricks and
>coming up blank.

That should have been sensors-detect which comes from the lm-sensors
package.

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
5/3/2011 5:22:17 PM
Bill_MI said:

> On Tue, 3 May 2011 16:25:47 +0000 (UTC), Dale Beckett wrote:
>
>>On a ThinkPad T-43 (intel 915 chipset), cpu and mobo temps and cpu fan
>>speed are available.
>>
>>On a Lenovo 3000 (945 chipset), only cpu temp is available.
>>
>>Don't know if this is useful, but it's all I have.
>
> Thanks, Dale.  I'm wondering what tells you what is available?

I got my info from inxi, a really great tool.

http://smxi.org/site/install.htm#inxi

--
Dale Beckett
SimplyMEPIS 11.0
On Tue, 3 May 2011 21:41:45 +0000 (UTC), Dale Beckett wrote:

>I got my info from inxi, a really great tool.
>
>http://smxi.org/site/install.htm#inxi

Getting lots of good output but not for -s sensors....

>inxi -s
>Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found in path
>Sensors:   Error: No active sensors found. Have you configured your sensors yet?

I suspect the kernel is missing something.  I've run into a lot of
dead ends trying to figure out what might be needed.

Ideas anyone?

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
5/3/2011 10:51:30 PM
The basic problem as I see it...

>sudo modprobe coretemp
>FATAL: Error inserting coretemp (/lib/modules/2.6.32-31-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko): No such device

I've been following this all over the net about building the coretemp
module... except....
/lib/modules/2.6.32-31-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko
ALREADY EXISTS!  It's 12.4kb in size.

Trying to add it results in "No such device"?  Like something's
missing in /dev needed by coretemp.  But what?  How to find out?

All input appreciated.

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
5/4/2011 12:54:44 AM
Bill_MI wrote:

> The basic problem as I see it...
>
>>sudo modprobe coretemp
>>FATAL: Error inserting coretemp
>>(/lib/modules/2.6.32-31-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko): No
>>such device
>
> I've been following this all over the net about building the coretemp
> module... except....
> /lib/modules/2.6.32-31-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko
> ALREADY EXISTS!  It's 12.4kb in size.
>
> Trying to add it results in "No such device"?  Like something's
> missing in /dev needed by coretemp.  But what?  How to find out?
>
> All input appreciated.
>
> Bill

I have had several Dell machines ......  the last two P4s, and I have not
been able to access any of the monitoring points .... neither temp, fan nor
voltages etc.
It is my belief, Dell has blocked such access on the machines I used.
0
ClareOldie
5/17/2011 11:12:35 PM
On Wed, 18 May 2011 00:12:35 +0100, ClareOldie wrote:

>I have had several Dell machines ......  the last two P4s, and I have not
>been able to access any of the monitoring points .... neither temp, fan nor
>voltages etc.
>It is my belief, Dell has blocked such access on the machines I used.

Hi Clare, yes I think you're right.  Dell has never been involved with
the "overclocking gang" and appear to actively discourage it.
However, the Pentium D can't be hid from view and it has a thermal
control others have apparently used.

At least... I think others have used the CPU native sensing.  I did
find some speculation it was more hacked than an Intel feature.  I ran
into a lot of stuff where people didn't seem to know or care of the
difference between sensors on the CPU silicon and motherboard features
often found in chipsets or otherwise.

It's been a looong time since I looked at an Intel datasheet but it's
now on my list of potential fun projects.  The Pentium D is pretty
obsolete, though.  I didn't even realize the Core2 was a different
beast until last week.  (HHhhrmmph!  coretemp works on those!)

BTW... I'm NOT in the "overclocking gang".  Just an old fart engineer
that loves data and monitoring.  Conky is a pretty cool display.
Heck, I have the last 4 years of cable modem stats plotted and years
of DSL before that. :-)

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
5/18/2011 12:07:38 AM
Dale, I'd like to ask a favor.  On the 945 chipset box, is it a
Pentium D?  If so, can you grab:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
lsmod | grep temp

I wasn't aware how drastically different Pentium D and Core2 is until
last week.  There appears to be NO kernel module to get thermal data
from a Pentium D.  The module for everything else Intel is coretemp.

TIA,
Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
5/18/2011 12:39:06 AM
On Tue, 17 May 2011 20:07:38 -0400, Bill_MI wrote:

>It's been a looong time since I looked at an Intel datasheet but it's
>now on my list of potential fun projects.

Well I found the problem.  The Pentium D has a thermal sensing diode,
for sure, but not the ability to excite and use it.  It's just a raw
diode on processor pins.  Only some external circuit can, thus, make
use of it.

While their is a separate thermal control with a sensor, that other
sensor is not available to read directly.  I found suggestions this
circuit was hacked into use by some people - but is a long way from
being a kernel module.

Still learning while having fun on this. :-)

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
5/19/2011 1:32:31 AM
Bill_MI said:

> Dale, I'd like to ask a favor.  On the 945 chipset box, is it a Pentium
> D?  If so, can you grab:
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
> lsmod | grep temp
>
> I wasn't aware how drastically different Pentium D and Core2 is until
> last week.  There appears to be NO kernel module to get thermal data
> from a Pentium D.  The module for everything else Intel is coretemp.

Bill,

Sorry, I lost track of this thread.  It appears that you have found your
answer.  If you still would like that info, I can get it for you.

--
Dale Beckett
SimplyMEPIS 11.0
Bill_MI wrote:
> Dale, I'd like to ask a favor.  On the 945 chipset box, is it a
> Pentium D?  If so, can you grab:
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
> lsmod | grep temp
>
> I wasn't aware how drastically different Pentium D and Core2 is until
> last week.  There appears to be NO kernel module to get thermal data
> from a Pentium D.  The module for everything else Intel is coretemp.
>
> TIA,
> Bill

Hi Bill, I've been watching this thread, mine is an Intel 945G board
with a an Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz, I built this system and it has BIOS
Hardware Monitoring (fan speed, CPU, internal and remote temp and
voltage monitoring, I've also had the sensor monitoring software
installed but have not ran it for a longtime do to it using HW resources.

I think Dell and other PC makers try to save money by not installing
components needed for somethings like HW monitoring.

I hope this helps, if you want more info just ask.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Wheeze - KDE 4.6.1 - EXT4 - AMD64 at sda8
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
5/19/2011 6:54:19 PM
On Thu, 19 May 2011 17:24:38 +0000 (UTC), Dale Beckett wrote:

>Sorry, I lost track of this thread.  It appears that you have found your
>answer.  If you still would like that info, I can get it for you.

Hi Dale, My curiosity is up if you get a chance but I did find out the
chipset must be involved.  Please don't go out of your way or
anything.

The lm-sensors package seems to be the best all around detection
(sensors-detect script).  It was telling me something interesting and
here's the excerpt:

Trying family `SMSC'...                                     Yes
Found `SMSC SCH5504-NS Super IO'
    (no hardware monitoring capabilities)

So I've been trying to get something on the SCH5504 to confirm "NS" is
"No Sensors".  That datasheet seems futile, though.

A chat in ##linux was helpful.  Someone said how it's usually the
super-I/O chip that has the sensors, part of sounth-bridge low
performance stuff.

Just having fun trying to learn things.  I did discover the Pentium D
is a power-hogging short-lived abomination to many people. ;)

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
5/19/2011 11:29:35 PM
On Thu, 19 May 2011 11:54:19 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

>Hi Bill, I've been watching this thread, mine is an Intel 945G board
>with a an Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz, I built this system and it has BIOS
>Hardware Monitoring (fan speed, CPU, internal and remote temp and
>voltage monitoring, I've also had the sensor monitoring software
>installed but have not ran it for a longtime do to it using HW resources.

Hi Jimmy, thanks for the help.  I did find how the "945G" is more a
reference to the graphics engine it contains than the larger design
with a zillion options and add-on stuff.

I was impressed how well the 945G did with compiz and all open-source
drivers.  But (sigh) I like the nVidia performance too much and added
a GeForce-something that runs even better.  Can't have your FOSS and
eat it, too.  And it comes with sensors! LOL

>I think Dell and other PC makers try to save money by not installing
>components needed for somethings like HW monitoring.

Dell seems to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  Cost for sure... and
avoiding what I'll call the "overclocking gang".  They've historically
and actively shunned anything that might help them - and of course
sensors are #1.

You have a typical mobo with typical sensing.  But I'm finding Dell
just doesn't play this game.

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI
5/19/2011 11:41:54 PM
Bill_MI said:

> On Thu, 19 May 2011 17:24:38 +0000 (UTC), Dale Beckett wrote:
>
>>Sorry, I lost track of this thread.  It appears that you have found your
>>answer.  If you still would like that info, I can get it for you.
>
> Hi Dale, My curiosity is up if you get a chance but I did find out the
> chipset must be involved.  Please don't go out of your way or anything.
[snip]

> Just having fun trying to learn things.  I did discover the Pentium D is
> a power-hogging short-lived abomination to many people. ;)

Learn things? Show-off!

Okay, I put in a request for that info.  The machine in question is 40
miles from here.

--
Dale Beckett
SimplyMEPIS 11.0
Dale Beckett said:

> Bill_MI said:
>

>> Hi Dale, My curiosity is up if you get a chance but I did find out the
>> chipset must be involved.  Please don't go out of your way or anything.
> [snip]
>>
>> Just having fun trying to learn things.  I did discover the Pentium D
>> is a power-hogging short-lived abomination to many people. ;)

I'm having a little trouble getting the info.  Operator problem on the
other end.  :)

I did learn though that the machine is Intel Core 2 Duo, so it probably
doesn't apply to you anyway.

--
Dale Beckett
SimplyMEPIS 11.0
On Fri, 20 May 2011 02:46:07 +0000 (UTC), Dale Beckett wrote:

>I did learn though that the machine is Intel Core 2 Duo, so it probably
>doesn't apply to you anyway.

Yep, it sure doesn't.  I recently learned how grossly different
Pentium D is from Core2.

Thanks much for trying.

Bill
--
Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan
Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50
0
Bill_MI

Imaging Dell GX620
We have some "new" GX620s to image. We've done them before using ZfD7SP1 and HP2. With the newer GX620s, the USB keyboard is unresponsive when the tech attempts to select Manual (in the ZENworks Imaging menu.) The keyboard works fine prior to loading the Linux kernel such as selecting to boot from the CD. Old GX620s were labeled "Designed for Windows XP." The new machines are labeled "Designed for Windows XP" plus "Winsows Vista Compatible". The HP2 (and HP3) disks work in all older GX620 machines tested and fails in all newer GX620 mac...

Temp Sensors Not Found
Hello just downloaded gkrellm and I go to set the temperature sensors and I get "No Sensors Detected" now I've never dealt with something of this nature before so can anyone tell me where I might begin with this one? Thanks -- threatingbehaviour ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Open a terminal, and as su, enter -sensors-detect- to detect the sensors and load the modules. Quit gkrellm and restart, and the available sensors should be in builtins. -- chief_sealth ---------------------------------------------...

Fan-out Unix/Linux
How can I completely uninstall the fanout driver and start over. Apparently some mistakes were made in the beginning and we would like to start over. Also, where can we find the latest Fanout Driver Definition? Thanks -jim 1. Stop the driver. 2. Remove /usr/local/ASAM and /usr/lib/nds-modules/libasamcdrv.so 3. Remove the "ASAM System" directory in edir along with the ASAM Master object. 4. Delete the driver object. > How can I completely uninstall the fanout driver and start over. > > Apparently some mistakes were made in the beginning and ...

Dell Dimension Fan
Hi I think that I need to replace the fan on my PC, it is a Dell Dimension 8100 P4 1.4Ghz. I am pretty sure it needs replacing as when its powered on it makes a loud rattling sound from the fan, I am guessing the bearings are worn. I have cleaned all the dust out, but it still makes the noise. The question I want to ask is, does anyone know what fan I need to replace it with? I can't find it anywhere on Dells site. It shows me how to remove/replace the fan but not what fan it is. Hope someone can help, thanks Ian which fan is it? if it is a power supply fan or a case fa...

Dell D800 fan speeds
Is there a application or setting I can install or edit to run the fans at a quieter speed? I have the cpu running at 50% but the fan is running at 100% very loud -- todd98014 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check here: 'Fan control logic' (http://tinyurl.com/2dptkwo) -- alexdbars ------------------------------------------------------------------------ alexdbars's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=48681 View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=447249 ...

XP Sysprep on a Dell GX620
So according to this: "All Plug and Play devices (including those found by using the OEM driver .inf files) are automatically installed during mini-setup on the target computers. Note that you do not have to specify the -pnp command-line switch unless there are earlier version (ISA) devices on the target computers. If you use the -pnp command-line switch, a full Plug and Play re-enumeration of all devices is performed. This adds 5 to 10 minutes to the Sysprep mini-setup process." I'm setting up XP on a Dell GX620, naturally it doesnt detect the chipset/video/audio/netw...

sensors on dell latitude e6510
I cannot have temperatures on my laptop: suse 11.3 kde 4.5.9 (4.6rc2) sensors version 3.1.2 with libsensors version 3.1.2 kernel 2.6.37-40-desktop laptop dell latitude e6510 I tried sensors-detect with this results: is there any chance to have my cpu and disk temperatures??:) Code: -------------------- linux-y7c9:/home/pla # sensors-detect # sensors-detect revision 5818 (2010-01-18 17:22:07 +0100) # System: Dell Inc. Latitude E6510 (laptop) # Board: Dell Inc. 0N5KHN This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need to load to use lm_s...

Linux to Linux VPN
Hey All, Hopefully this is something that can be done. I have a main office with a Win2000 server. I have a remote office with 3 computers, right now each of the remote computers connects to the windows2000 server over the internet using VPN with the W2K box being the VPN server. This causes a few problems because of the domain login and the user's are not the ummmm brightest with computers. What I want to do it place a perment VPN with auto re-connect so when they unplug the DSL modem to plug in the Fax (I know I know) and then plug the DSL back in it will re-sync the VPN...

Fan-Out Driver Linux/Unix
It appears that with the Fan-Out driver for Linux/Unix there can not be a user and a group of the same name as the create a naming conflict. Is this right or did I miss something? Thanks. -jim This is correct. It's currently a limitation of the census. A workaround is to create aliases with different names to those objects and have scripts on the platform process the names to the original, using a prefix or some other mechanism. > It appears that with the Fan-Out driver for Linux/Unix there can not be > a user and a group of the same name as the create a namin...

Dell to Sell Linux PCs
"Customers convince Dell to plan a new line of Linux-loaded desktop and notebook computers." http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129363-c,linux/article.html -- Dutch Registered Linux User #391111 - PCLinuxOS 0.93a GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets http://www.imilly.com/noregrets "Dutch" <buryit@blackholespam.net> wrote in message news:1s6ok626xkzuz$.dlg@pc-5.12078.com... > "Customers convince Dell to plan a new line of Linux-loaded desktop and > notebook computers." > > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129363-c,linux/artic...

Dell GX620 Imaging Woes
I'm glad to see another post of this type. I'm not loosing my mind after all. We have both Dell GX520's and GX620's. Supposedly thay are the same InTel chip set (945G). We are running ZENworks 7 on NetWare 6.5 SP4a. The remote management agents have all been updated to version 7. All the workstations import with no problems. All are capable of remote management. However, the GX520's are the only workstations that can PXE boot and load/push an image. The GX620's will not. The NIC is first in the boot sequence and PXE is enabled. They will see all the se...

Linux on Dell Studio XPS
Hi I have been following the release of the new Dell Studio XPS laptops as I currently have a M1330 XPS which Dell offered with Ubuntu. However there does not seem to be such support (yet) this time around and I am unsure how it would handle the 'hybrid SLI' nvidia offerings in these laptops. However one of the very first people to receive their studio xps 1340 over at notebookreview.com has posted some pics and it appears he is running ubuntu http://boeglin.org/static/studio_xps_13/P1000135.JPG I have asked the question as to if this was an offering from Dell (n...

Dell GX620
Been messing with a new image on this Dell GX620 machine. Installed the Zenworks Agent and realized that nothing is getting saved in ZISD. I opened ZISWIN.exe and gave the computer a "NETBIOS" name and a "DNS HOSTNAME" closed it, everything looked good.. hit Save, etc. I go back in and its gone. I booted to PXE and ran ZISEDIT, did the same thing.. as soon as i hit SAVE it goes back to the "view" screen, nothing is set. I changed the hard drive to COMBINATION mode for SATA, tried it again... same thing! whats the deal? -- This could be my problem ...

Is LINUX compatible with DELL Optiplex?
Well, this question is not about Install/Boot/Login strictly but ya its about RESTART OPTION IN LINUX. i have Dell Optiplex Desktop and initially installed Ubuntu 8.10 on it. Had problems with restsarting Ubuntu 8.10. It used to hang up at the log out orange bar screen. But i experienced no problem with shut down demand and then restarting manually. so i posted this problem in ubuntu forums and launchpad. found it to be a bug which has not been solved till date. had to force hard start with the RESTART command. Now i have installed Suse 11.0 on my system and i am experiencing the ...

Web resources about - Temp and Fan Sensors on a Dell GX620 - grc.techtalk.linux

Sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A sensor is a converter that measures a physical quantity and converts it into a signal which can be read by an observer or by an (today mostly ...

Sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A sensor is a device that detects events or changes in quantities and provides a corresponding output, generally as an electrical or optical ...

Motorola’s 2016 line-up: Fingerprint sensors for all, phones 5 inches +
... about his company's plans for Motorola's product line. All Moto-branded devices to launch in 2016 will come with embedded fingerprint sensors. All ...

Apple may be tweaking the 3D Touch sensor on the ‘iPhone 7’
... Touch technology with a revamped design. A new image that first appeared on WeChat apparently shows the backlight assembly and 3D Touch sensor ...

Nifty ‘Kurv’ Guitar is a Nice Example of A.I. Meets Sensors
A year ago I had the good fortune to meet through a friend an inventor and entrepreneur working on a curious wireless gadget called the Kurv ...

This sensor-packed suit will immerse you in virtual reality like never before
Engineers at Tesla Studios have created a full-body virtual reality suit that allows you to touch and feel things in virtual reality. The "Pioneer" ...

Diet Sensor scans food nutritional value - Business Insider
Track how many calories you eat instantly.

IDG Contributor Network: Are you a 'human sensor platform'?
... Those platforms and others migrated as apps to our now-indispensable smartphones and tablets. This was the beginning of us becoming "sensor ...

Multi-sport sensor will help you reach PIQ performance
... or so you believe. But don’t listen to yourself or buddies who play alongside you and talk trash about your skills. PIQ, a multi-sport sensor, ...

Fingerprint sensor prices to fall 40% in 2016
Fingerprint sensor prices, which fell more than 30% in 2015, are expected to fall further in 2016 due to more competition in the market, according ...