News read for Linux?

Just wondering what news reader people use and recommend on Linux?

I have used Thunderbird on Mac and Linux, and now trying out "Pan" on
Ubuntu 10.04.
0
Sunnz
5/25/2010 2:37:36 PM
grc.techtalk.linux 3969 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Sunnz wrote:
> Just wondering what news reader people use and recommend on Linux?
>
> I have used Thunderbird on Mac and Linux, and now trying out "Pan" on
> Ubuntu 10.04.

I like the way tbird version 2 handles my accounts, fits my needs, but I
don't like version 3.
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.5-1 EXT4 at sda5
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
5/25/2010 2:56:08 PM
For some reason, Sunnz said:

> Just wondering what news reader people use and recommend on Linux?
>
> I have used Thunderbird on Mac and Linux, and now trying out "Pan" on
> Ubuntu 10.04.

I've used Pan for quite some time.  It's fast and simple.  It does have
one bug that has never been fixed:  If anything goes wrong with the
connection while loading groups, whether it's on your end or the server
end, Pan will hang and has to be killed.  Maybe someday someone will put
a timeout routine in there to stop that from happening.

--
Dale Beckett
0
For some reason, Dale Beckett said:

> For some reason, Sunnz said:
>
>> Just wondering what news reader people use and recommend on Linux?
>>
>> I have used Thunderbird on Mac and Linux, and now trying out "Pan" on
>> Ubuntu 10.04.

Another nice one is knode.  I see that it's in the Ubu repos, but being a
KDE app, it will pull in a trainload of additional packages.  I don't
know that it will even work with Gnome.

--
Dale Beckett
0
<dale02@NOTsprynet.com> wrote:

>Another nice one is knode.

Can knode _really_ score on the Message-ID header?  Have done my best to
negatively score googlegroupers and while everything looks correct
setting up the filter, no negative scores are actually applied.  Am
wondering if it is just me or are others having problems scoring on teh
Message-ID field?

--
Facebook is free Web hosting with some PHP doodads and APIs,
and spying free inside all the time
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Just wondering what news reader people use and recommend on Linux?

Use? primarily this one - an olde version of Agent.

Of the native Linux news clients - my fav is slrn, with claws-mail
second.  tin is interesting, but somehow I just can't warm up to it.

Everything else is an exercise in frustration for me, but then opinions
are like noses, everybody has one.

--
Facebook is free Web hosting with some PHP doodads and APIs,
and spying free inside all the time
                                           Eben Moglen
0
vince
5/25/2010 5:01:02 PM
vince wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2010 16:39:19 +0000 (UTC), Dale Beckett
> <dale02@NOTsprynet.com> wrote:
>
>>Another nice one is knode.
>
> Can knode _really_ score on the Message-ID header?  Have done my best to
> negatively score googlegroupers and while everything looks correct
> setting up the filter, no negative scores are actually applied.  Am
> wondering if it is just me or are others having problems scoring on teh
> Message-ID field?

It does work fine for me. Maybe you have to create a new rule on the left
panel before changing it's configuration?

--
Mark Cross @ 05/25/2010 2:50 p.m.
Buy land - they've stopped making it. -Mark Twain

0
Mark
5/25/2010 6:51:32 PM
On Tue, 25 May 2010 14:51:32 -0400, Mark Cross
<zx69p9v02@me.com.invalid> wrote:

>It does work fine for me. Maybe you have to create a new rule on the left
>panel before changing it's configuration?

Thanks for the confirmation it does work, albeit not here.  Guess I'll
try setting a new user and see if I can get it to work there.  Although
I suspect a new version of slackware is in my immediate future.  Have
the first two install CD's downloaded, just need to get the third.

--
Facebook is free Web hosting with some PHP doodads and APIs,
and spying free inside all the time
                                           Eben Moglen
0
vince
5/25/2010 8:32:54 PM
On Tue, 25 May 2010 14:37:36 +0000 (UTC), Sunnz wrote:

> Just wondering what news reader people use and recommend on Linux?
>
> I have used Thunderbird on Mac and Linux, and now trying out "Pan" on
> Ubuntu 10.04.

Using Gnome Linux Mint with Wine and 40tude dialog newsreader.
Flawless - I'm Very Pleased with it.
Don't see that your U10.04 should present a problem,

--
Toby
0

Linux to Linux VPN
Hey All, Hopefully this is something that can be done. I have a main office with a Win2000 server. I have a remote office with 3 computers, right now each of the remote computers connects to the windows2000 server over the internet using VPN with the W2K box being the VPN server. This causes a few problems because of the domain login and the user's are not the ummmm brightest with computers. What I want to do it place a perment VPN with auto re-connect so when they unplug the DSL modem to plug in the Fax (I know I know) and then plug the DSL back in it will re-sync the VPN...

Migrate linux to linux
We want to migrate our gw7 from netware to linux but because we lack a spliffy new server i need to move it to a temporary server first. Thankfully we have an OES2 'test' server currently running in our production tree with suse10 and oes2. After we migrate the Netware server to the test server and get everything running, is it enough to just install the agents on the real server, copy the entire database over from test maintaining path etc, change some ip's in the nds and hit start ? - Arjan On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:46:01 +0000, Arjan wrote: > After we m...

Anyone having trouble reading the techtalk.linux newsgroup ?
Is anyone else having trouble reading the grc.techtalk.linux newsgroups. Since yesterday (tues) I have not been able to read it, mozilla stalls when I try to load it. All other ng's that im subscribed to work fine, as did .linux previously. No changes made to machine. Anyone else ?? MC mc <REPLY.TO.NEWSGROUP@mctech.org> wrote: > Is anyone else having trouble reading the grc.techtalk.linux newsgroups. > Since yesterday (tues) I have not been able to read it, mozilla stalls > when I try to load it. All other ng's that im subscribed to work fine, > as did ...

Samba: win to linux fine, natilus (linux) to linux asks for password
Hi! Basically that is my particular issue, adding that I've set it up over openvpn as well, to the same server. [win -> linux] - see public (for existing users) shares and try to enter them - when asked for user and password, can see the contents of the public share along with my home folder - can see the shared local printer, and open and view current print jobs on the server (cannot print tough, will write another post about that) [linux to linux] - try to access the server via smbclient -L and can see shares ok - from nautilus, with the address smb://10.22.22.1 ...

Dual boot
Recently, all of the sata controllers on my system board went south. Rather than buy a new board, I decided to dump Windows completely (since it is a pain to get working from an external drive) and just go with Ubuntu as an external. The Ubuntu install went fine. Everything so far is working. I decided to take the drive that used to have XP on it and set up a couple of other distro's to take a look at. I installed Kbuntu, and everything worked fine. I then installed Mepis. After the install I got a grub error:2 which I believe is that it cannot find the OS. I know this is d...

OES(Linux) to OES2 (Linux)
Have a gaggle of servers running OES Linux. What are the reasons, compelling or otherwise, for upgrading/migrating, to OES2? Most of what I see are focused on convincing NetWare user to migrate to OES2. Being EOL or near EOL, would not be sufficient reason. -- joea ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:36:04 +0000, joea wrote: > Being EOL or near EOL, would not be sufficient reason. If it's a production system it is. I would get all OES1 servers updated to OES2 ASAP. -- Joe Marton Novel...

Linux News
As some of you may or may not have seen, Sybase announced they are creating a Linux port of EAServer to be released later this year. This was announced as part of the LinuxWorld Expo last week. After the announcement, EAS won the "Best of Show" award from votes placed by show attendees! http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/linuxworldtoday/lwt-news3.html Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division Hi Will there be a beta of this product ? I am very interested ! Marco Laponder (mlr@interchain.nl) Dave Wolf [Sybase] heeft geschreven in bericht ... >As some...

Linux news
I'm sure you've all seen this: http://bbspot.com/News/2000/4/linux_distros.html but I couldn't help myself. Bob Vanderveen Anonymous Bob wrote: > I'm sure you've all seen this: > http://bbspot.com/News/2000/4/linux_distros.html > > but I couldn't help myself. <q> Long time Linux guru Bob Tallman said, "This is great for the open source movement. I have 7 different versions installed on my computer at home. Some guys I know have over 30." </q> I'm such a wienie. I only have four. At the moment, anyw...

Linux Services on Linux OES2
Hi all, i´m testing a 2 node cluster (maybe more in the future) on OES2 (SLES10SP1, iSCSI on HP MSA1510i). Finally i want to cluster some NSS-Volumes, Groupwise and a CVS Server. Will this be possible?? Are there Linux-Services, which are not possible to implement with Novell Cluster Services? Thanks in advance. Alex Alexander Lorenz, NSS volumes and GroupWise are possible to cluster. I'm not sure about the CVS server though. Basically any serice that can access data from an NSS volume or from eDirectory should be possible to cluster. NCS requires NSS volumes, in...

How to share a printer Linux to Linux
Hi, I've seen lots of posts on sharing printers in a mixed network, but I have 3 machines all with SUSE 10.3 - and I am having great difficulty in figuring out how to share the printer attached to the machine I use as a server. I have even tried Samba, but no success. Has anyone succeeded with setting up a shared printer using YAST? thanks for any reply -- prtowlson ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I just solved your problem yesterday. I'm printing using cups and IPP. So I didn't print via samba. You should ...

LINUX and Adaptive Server for LINUX
What does everybody think about the stability of Sybase on LINUX, and where can i get mor information about it? -- Ramses Palomo CSSoftware, Inc. Guatemala rpalomo@starnet.net.gt This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------1131468DB38D86409C30C2E2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Ramses Palomo wrote: > > What does everybody think about the stability of Sybase on LINUX, and > where can i get mor information about it? > > -- > Ramses Palomo > CSSoftware, Inc. Guatemala > rpalomo@starne...

Linux
We have a novell network where people mostly use window XP machines. I had a Linux (redhat 9) machine and was connecting to the network by running a script (that an IT guy set up for me, was using ncpmount). Now I have bought a machine with the redhat enterprise 3 OS. Will the same script work for me ? Thanks Rgds, Amit Amit, > We have a novell network where people mostly use window XP machines. I had > a Linux (redhat 9) machine and was connecting to the network by running a > script (that an IT guy set up for me, was using ncpmount). Now I have > bought ...

Linux
Hello All, I just recently loaded linux onto my laptop. I hope this was not a bad move. But I cannot find the Activstate Perl I downloaded.I am using openSUSE Linux. I also am having trouble deciding which is the command line to open my scripts. There is the : Gnome Terminal, the Konsole, the x Terminal, and the Terminal Program - Super User Mode. Don't think it's that one for sure! I typed in the shebang line as such #!/usr/bin/perl then hit enter, after that I just type the name of the file.pl in. Is there any basic info on just what needs to be done in regards to ...

Linux
Hi, When will EA-Studio 3.0 be released? Ar ther any plan to port EA-Studio to Linux? Thanks Andy Andreas Luethi Consultant, Information Services Unisys (Schweiz) AG EAStudio 3.0 will ship VERY VERY soon. The product has left engineering. We are investigating a Linux port at this time, but no decision has been made. Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division Andreas Luethi wrote: > Hi, > > When will EA-Studio 3.0 be released? > Ar ther any plan to port EA-Studio to Linux? > > Thanks Andy > > Andreas Luethi > Consultant, Information S...

Web resources about - News read for Linux? - grc.techtalk.linux

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . The development of ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

Linux bug imperils tens of millions of PCs, servers, and Android phones
(credit: amalthya ) For almost three years, millions of servers and smaller devices running Linux have been vulnerable to attacks that allow ...

Linux vulnerability puts millions of people at risk Android users should panic
There are so many reasons to use a Linux-based operating system. Most often, people tell me that they switched because of a dissatisfaction with ...

There’s never been a better time to learn Linux
As more people learn the importance of open software and operating systems, Linux is more relevant than ever. Learning Linux can seem imposing, ...

Ubuntu Linux tablet will turn into a makeshift desktop
Want to use your mobile device as a desktop, but would rather not go the Windows route? BQ might have just what you're looking for. The Spanish ...

Linux Foundation Moves Dronecode Project Forward
In just a year after the open-source Dronecode effort launched, its membership has taken off, and code and product are available.

Huge Number Of Critical Flaws Revealed In Apple, Android, Linux And Oracle Systems
It's time to get patching, as scores of critical flaws across iPhones, Macs, Androids, Linux devices and Oracle systems are disclosed.