Mint 16 + KDE... not so much

After having a pretty good success with my experiment of adding KDE on top
of LMDE, I thought I would do the same on Mint 16 and not bother waiting
for the KDE edition. Well, I have mostly followed the same steps I went
through in LMDE but the KDE I ended up with is kind of a mess. Enough so
that I will probably nuke this Linux install and start over. You would
think Ubuntu would have better package management than debian for KDE, but
this doesn't seem to be the case.

Oh well, I hear OpenSuse is working with Steam, so I may use this as my
reason to give that a shot now.

--
Todd Russell, Director of IT, Saint Joseph Abbey and Seminary College
http://www.sjasc.edu

On 12/09/2013 04:25 PM, Todd Russell wrote:
> After having a pretty good success with my experiment of adding KDE on
> top of LMDE, I thought I would do the same on Mint 16 and not bother
> waiting for the KDE edition. Well, I have mostly followed the same steps
> I went through in LMDE but the KDE I ended up with is kind of a mess.
> Enough so that I will probably nuke this Linux install and start over.
> You would think Ubuntu would have better package management than debian
> for KDE, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Because of a bug relating to UEFI in the Kubuntu iso, I couldn't get
Kubuntu 13.10 to boot after installation.

I had to install Ubuntu and add KDE and I can't tell any difference from
a standard Kubuntu install.

Maybe it's something to do with Mint.

0
kyfho
12/10/2013 9:47:41 PM
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:47:41 -0600, kyfho <kyfho@fake.fake.com> wrote:

> I had to install Ubuntu and add KDE and I can't tell any difference from
> a standard Kubuntu install.
>
> Maybe it's something to do with Mint.

A lot of it is clearly missing pieces, themes, and widgets that make
everything play nice together. They just released the RC of Mint 16 KDE,
so I am just going to install that for now rather than spend a bunch of
time experimenting in the look and feel settings to make it all work
correctly.

--
Todd Russell, Director of IT, Saint Joseph Abbey and Seminary College
http://www.sjasc.edu
0
Todd
12/10/2013 10:07:42 PM
On 12/09/2013 03:25 PM, Todd Russell wrote:

> Oh well, I hear OpenSuse is working with Steam, so I may use this as my
> reason to give that a shot now.

I've been playing with OpenSuse 13.1 KDE and it is gorgeous.  I love the
installer, but, at least on the older system I installed it on, it has
been very buggy.  A fresh install would hard lock very soon after use.
After applying all updates, it was much better, but still buggy.  I see
no automated way to go from nouveau to proprietary drivers.  I'm sure
there's a PPA or something similar, but I haven't researched it yet.  It
has a lot of promise, but it needs to be stable.

The system in question has a ~6 yr old Intel motherboard, Pentium D
3.4Ghz processor, 2GB ram, and an Nivida 8400GS PCI video adaptor (yes,
PCI, not PCI-Express).

Incidentally, the same system runs Mint 16 Cinnamon flawlessly,
including proprietary Nvidia drivers that Mint has a built-in app for
changing to.
0
Tim
12/21/2013 3:13:41 PM
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:13:41 -0600, Tim <himemsys36_@_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've been playing with OpenSuse 13.1 KDE and it is gorgeous.  I love the
> installer, but, at least on the older system I installed it on, it has
> been very buggy.

I played with it a little after posting the original message and also
found it to be buggy... on older hardware that should have been solidly
supported and worked fine with other distros.  A friend who is an openSuse
diehard has been complaining about the "train wreck" that is 13.1. Yeah,
think I will stick with something debian based or give Arch a try.

--
Todd Russell, Director of IT, Saint Joseph Abbey and Seminary College
http://www.sjasc.edu
0
Todd

[Fw[Fwd: [kde-linux] ThunderBird vs. KDE 3.4 Branch]d: [kde-linux] ThunderBird vs. KDE 3.4 Branch]
Anybody here have any idea what could be causing this. I let it run a while longer and the VmSize went to over 250,000. -------- Original Message -------- Subject: [kde-linux] ThunderBird vs. KDE 3.4 Branch Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:22:31 -0700 From: James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> Reply-To: kde-linux@kde.org To: Kde-Linux <kde-linux@kde.org> Is it possible that KDE 3.4.0+ is screwing up ThunderBird. Since I upgraded (CVS built from source), ThunderBird has been doing strange things. ThunderBird will simply stop working for a while. I checked with KSysGu...

Linux Mint 4.0 KDE
I just can't figure out why Mint has so many fans or so it seems, I ran it on my main desktop and it ran fine, so having some spare parts on my laptop I thought I would give it an install, the .iso tested fine, the dvd tested fine, yet when booting on the laptop it behaved different than my desktop, but loaded and ran ok, started the install and all is ok until I get to the last step, you have to click the advanced button to get boot grub options and it don't even say anything about grub unless you do click the advanced button or it will install to the MBR and I did not...

FYI
I finally took the time to solve why HFS+ mounting wasn't working in Linux Mint KDE edition, and figured I would share it here to save others the headache in case you run into it. HFS+ support is not in the KDE edition install even though it is in the other editions. After you install hfsplus, hfsutils, and hfsprogs through Synaptic or apt-get, you still won't be able to mount HFS+ volumes because the install isn't loading the module or adding it to the autoloads. So, after installing those 3 packages along with their dependencies, just open /etc/modules and...

IdGlobal.pas error on Linux Mint 16
Hi there, I am currently using Indy 10.6 build 5100 on Windows. I wanted to install it in my Lazarus 1.2 installation on Linux Mint 16 & the compilation aborted because of a missing const identifier LIBEXT in IdGlobal.pas. {code} {$IFDEF UNIX} {$UNDEF LIBEXT_IS_DYLIB} {$UNDEF LIBEXT_IS_SO} {$IFDEF DARWIN} {$DEFINE LIBEXT_IS_DYLIB} {$ELSE} {$IFDEF DCC_NEXTGEN} {$IFDEF ANDROID} {$DEFINE LIBEXT_IS_SO} {$ELSE} {$DEFINE LIBEXT_IS_DYLIB} {$ENDIF} {$ENDIF} {$ENDIF} const {$IFDEF LIBEXT_IS_DYLIB} LIBEXT = '...

Installing Linux Mint KDE DVD.ISO
It's a little different from other installs I have done. Booting the dvd, there is no user input, it's all splash to the desktop it only says it will boot in 9 sec. and counts down all the time displaying a splash screen and it's not real fast even on descent system with 4GB memory and dual core cpu 2.8GHz. It says it's running in low resolution, it did not install my nVidia card now or after the install using the hardware driver thingy, the error was:"failed to fetch http:archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-libc-dev_2.6.32-23.37_amd64.deb 404 n...

Getting grub to add Linux Mint 8 KDE CE (pre openSUSE installed)
Hey Guys, just installed OpenSUSE this weekend and I already had two different OSs on the laptop. Windows 7 and Linux Mint 8 KDE CE. Well during installation Windows was automatically added to grub but Mint wasnt. And When I go to the bootloader tab, and I add a new image it asks me the kernel image and initial RAM disk. Well This is what is in the boot folder on the Mint Partition { boot (folder only contains a jpg file) grub (the grub installed on KDE... inactive) abi-2.6.31-16-generic config-2.6.31-16-generic initrd.img-2.6.31-16-generic memtest86+.bin System.map-2.6.31...

Tb 40.0b1 (build3) Linux Mint 17.1 KDE something test
So how do I enable the menu bar, "2. test menus - enable menu bar with View | Toolbars | Menu, then mouse over every menu (File, Edit, View, Go, Message, Tools, Help)" when Toolbars isn't under the Menu Button | View? Maybe it's a Windows thing? So I used right click in the Tab Bar, enabled Menu Bar to select View | Toolbars. I found that Menu Bar was already enabled. :) Off to test update from previous beta. ...

much much much faster!!!!!!!!
Name: larry bartelt Email: larrydotbarteltatabbottdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: much much much faster!!!!!!!! Comments: very nice Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090615 Firefox/3.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Smoke [5.16.3] v5.16.3-9-g7aa08a0 FAIL(Xc) linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 [debian] (x86_64/12 cpu)
Automated smoke report for 5.16.3 patch 7aa08a0f356a87b817f92a7941678ccf0e162b90 v5.16.3-9-g7aa08a0 cyberpower2: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4960X CPU @ 3.60GHz (GenuineIntel 1581MHz) (x86_64/12 cpu) on linux - 3.16.0-4-amd64 [debian] using gcc-5 version 5.1.1 smoketime 11 minutes 40 seconds (average 3 minutes 53.333 seconds) Summary: FAIL(Xc) O = OK F = Failure(s), extended report at the bottom X = Failure(s) under TEST but not under harness ? = still running or test results not (yet) available Build failures during: - = unknown or N/A c = Configure, m = ...

How much is too much
I write MacPerl at work to munge local files but use CGIs for my personal website. The various hosting plans I have allow Perl and I have never had a problem with them. I am starting a new, more CGI-intensive project and I'm troubled by the question "how much PERL is too much." Bandwidth can be metered, but I haven't seen hosters who meter processor time. Instead they make vague statements about removing inappropriately-greedy scripts. Does anyone know how hosting companies really approach this issue? Are there CGI-friendly hosters? Do scripts and accounts get pulled...

How much is too much?
I write MacPerl at work to munge local files, but use CGIs for my personal website. The various hosting plans I have allow Perl, and I have never had a problem with them, but I am starting a new, more CGI-intensive project and I'm troubled by the vagueness that surrounds "how much PERL is too much." Bandwidth can be metered, but I haven't seen hosters who meter processor time. Instead they make vague statements about removing inappropriately-greedy scripts. Does anyone know how hosting companies really approach this issue? Are there CGI-friendly hosters? Do script...

how much is too much
Hi I have 2 users that both have over 1 gb of email and they are running caching mode. One has 1.2 gb and the other 2.5 gb. How large can this grow. Is there a limit? I am working on having them archive it off but they really like it online. Also how would exchange handle this? Its kinda silly to ask in a Novell forum but I am thinking the people here might have used both and can help compare. The limt would likely be a single file over 4gb. Of which the most likely will be one of their MSG DBs or USER DBs. Both people are clearly insane however. -- Michael J. Bell Nov...

Smoke [maint-5.16] v5.16.3 FAIL(Xm) linux 3.5.0-22-generic [debian] (x86_64/8 cpu) {maint_g++}
Smoke logs available at http://m-l.org/~perl/smoke/perl/linux/maint_g++/log= fd04d42d38f4751b981eb6e9213ee1ab8ef11ea6.log.gz Automated smoke report for 5.16.3 patch fd04d42d38f4751b981eb6e9213ee1ab8ef= 11ea6 v5.16.3 zwei: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (GenuineIntel 2668MHz) (x86_64= /8 cpu) on linux - 3.5.0-22-generic [debian] using g++ version 4.7.2 smoketime 20 hours 28 minutes (average 51 minutes 12 seconds) Summary: FAIL(Xm) O =3D OK F =3D Failure(s), extended report at the bottom X =3D Failure(s) under TEST but not under harness ? =3D sti...

Smoke [blead] v5.21.10-16-g9baf310 FAIL(F) linux 3.16.0-31-generic [debian] (x86_64/8 cpu) {blead_clang_quick_sanitize=address}
Smoke logs available at http://m-l.org/~perl/smoke/perl/linux/blead_clang_q= uick_sanitize=3Daddress/log9baf31049f1a90bbba573fadb8c62278a52202db.log.gz Automated smoke report for 5.21.11 patch 9baf31049f1a90bbba573fadb8c62278a5= 2202db v5.21.10-16-g9baf310 zwei: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (GenuineIntel 2668MHz) (x86_64= /8 cpu) on linux - 3.16.0-31-generic [debian] using clang version 4.2.1 Compatible Ubuntu Clang 3.5.0 (tags/RELEA= SE_350/final) smoketime 2 hours 18 minutes (average 34 minutes 40 seconds) Summary: FAIL(F) O =3D OK F =3D Fai...

Web resources about - Mint 16 + KDE... not so much - grc.techtalk.linux

Mint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United States Mint (@usmint) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here United States Mint @ usmint ...

Mint 2012 for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Mint 2012 on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

NGV makes a mint from coins collected in fountain spring clean
As long as you wished for new paintings in the National Gallery of Victoria when throwing a coin into their fountains, then your wish has come ...

Mint wins gold for 'traditional and digital approach'
The Perth Mint has taken the top prize in this year's WA Industry and Export Awards.

Harley Russo camps outside Mint for a week and knocks back offers for first coin
Sixteen-year-old Harley Russo has spent three weeks of his life camped by the steps of the Royal Australian Mint, determined to hold onto the ...

LG’s Nexus 5X is coming in three colors: white, black, and mint-ish green
We just saw the Huawei Nexus 6P colors earlier today, and now the same source has shared stock imagery showing the upcoming Nexus 5X from LG. ...

Review: Mint 17.3 may be the best Linux desktop distro yet
Enlarge / The Cinnamon desktop in Linux Mint 17.3 The Linux Mint project recently unveiled Linux Mint 17.3. The latest release from this Ubuntu-based ...

Linux Mint 18 details revealed code name, release date, and more!
... me some Linux. While Ubuntu is my favorite distro of the moment, I use many others from time to time, such as Fedora, deepin, and Linux Mint. ...

Activists Squat At Site Of London’s Former Royal Mint To Protest Global Warming
Activists Squat At Site Of London’s Former Royal Mint To Protest Global Warming