Bob Vanderveen

0
Anonymous
9/16/2007 12:22:39 AM
grc.techtalk.linux 3969 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Anonymous Bob wrote:
> I'm sure you've all seen this:
> http://bbspot.com/News/2000/4/linux_distros.html
>
> but I couldn't help myself.

<q>
Long time Linux guru Bob Tallman said, "This is great for the open
source movement.  I have 7 different versions installed on my computer
at home.  Some guys I know have over 30."
</q>

I'm such a wienie. I only have four.

At the moment, anyway.

--
Mark Warner
Debian Lenny Xfce

> Anonymous Bob wrote:
>> I'm sure you've all seen this:
>> http://bbspot.com/News/2000/4/linux_distros.html
>>
>> but I couldn't help myself.
>
> <q>
> Long time Linux guru Bob Tallman said, "This is great for the open
> source movement.  I have 7 different versions installed on my
> computer at home.  Some guys I know have over 30."
> </q>
>
> I'm such a wienie. I only have four.
>
> At the moment, anyway.

I think the most I =ever= had at one time was 4.  I am down to just
three or maybe only two (one of the older boxes didn't boot the other
day and I have not taken the time to investigate <g>)

I mainly use ubuntu on a couple and have RedHat on a server at the
office.  Older boxes had susi and mandrake.  I 'played' with others,
but never really got a stable install with them for various reasons <g>

--
MikeD
0

Linux to Linux VPN
Hey All, Hopefully this is something that can be done. I have a main office with a Win2000 server. I have a remote office with 3 computers, right now each of the remote computers connects to the windows2000 server over the internet using VPN with the W2K box being the VPN server. This causes a few problems because of the domain login and the user's are not the ummmm brightest with computers. What I want to do it place a perment VPN with auto re-connect so when they unplug the DSL modem to plug in the Fax (I know I know) and then plug the DSL back in it will re-sync the VPN...

Migrate linux to linux
We want to migrate our gw7 from netware to linux but because we lack a spliffy new server i need to move it to a temporary server first. Thankfully we have an OES2 'test' server currently running in our production tree with suse10 and oes2. After we migrate the Netware server to the test server and get everything running, is it enough to just install the agents on the real server, copy the entire database over from test maintaining path etc, change some ip's in the nds and hit start ? - Arjan On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:46:01 +0000, Arjan wrote: > After we m...

Samba: win to linux fine, natilus (linux) to linux asks for password
Hi! Basically that is my particular issue, adding that I've set it up over openvpn as well, to the same server. [win -> linux] - see public (for existing users) shares and try to enter them - when asked for user and password, can see the contents of the public share along with my home folder - can see the shared local printer, and open and view current print jobs on the server (cannot print tough, will write another post about that) [linux to linux] - try to access the server via smbclient -L and can see shares ok - from nautilus, with the address smb://10.22.22.1 ...

Linux Services on Linux OES2
Hi all, i´m testing a 2 node cluster (maybe more in the future) on OES2 (SLES10SP1, iSCSI on HP MSA1510i). Finally i want to cluster some NSS-Volumes, Groupwise and a CVS Server. Will this be possible?? Are there Linux-Services, which are not possible to implement with Novell Cluster Services? Thanks in advance. Alex Alexander Lorenz, NSS volumes and GroupWise are possible to cluster. I'm not sure about the CVS server though. Basically any serice that can access data from an NSS volume or from eDirectory should be possible to cluster. NCS requires NSS volumes, in...

OES(Linux) to OES2 (Linux)
Have a gaggle of servers running OES Linux. What are the reasons, compelling or otherwise, for upgrading/migrating, to OES2? Most of what I see are focused on convincing NetWare user to migrate to OES2. Being EOL or near EOL, would not be sufficient reason. -- joea ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:36:04 +0000, joea wrote: > Being EOL or near EOL, would not be sufficient reason. If it's a production system it is. I would get all OES1 servers updated to OES2 ASAP. -- Joe Marton Novel...

How to share a printer Linux to Linux
Hi, I've seen lots of posts on sharing printers in a mixed network, but I have 3 machines all with SUSE 10.3 - and I am having great difficulty in figuring out how to share the printer attached to the machine I use as a server. I have even tried Samba, but no success. Has anyone succeeded with setting up a shared printer using YAST? thanks for any reply -- prtowlson ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I just solved your problem yesterday. I'm printing using cups and IPP. So I didn't print via samba. You should ...

Linux News
As some of you may or may not have seen, Sybase announced they are creating a Linux port of EAServer to be released later this year. This was announced as part of the LinuxWorld Expo last week. After the announcement, EAS won the "Best of Show" award from votes placed by show attendees! http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/linuxworldtoday/lwt-news3.html Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division Hi Will there be a beta of this product ? I am very interested ! Marco Laponder (mlr@interchain.nl) Dave Wolf [Sybase] heeft geschreven in bericht ... >As some...

Dual boot
Recently, all of the sata controllers on my system board went south. Rather than buy a new board, I decided to dump Windows completely (since it is a pain to get working from an external drive) and just go with Ubuntu as an external. The Ubuntu install went fine. Everything so far is working. I decided to take the drive that used to have XP on it and set up a couple of other distro's to take a look at. I installed Kbuntu, and everything worked fine. I then installed Mepis. After the install I got a grub error:2 which I believe is that it cannot find the OS. I know this is d...

LINUX and Adaptive Server for LINUX
What does everybody think about the stability of Sybase on LINUX, and where can i get mor information about it? -- Ramses Palomo CSSoftware, Inc. Guatemala rpalomo@starnet.net.gt This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------1131468DB38D86409C30C2E2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Ramses Palomo wrote: > > What does everybody think about the stability of Sybase on LINUX, and > where can i get mor information about it? > > -- > Ramses Palomo > CSSoftware, Inc. Guatemala > rpalomo@starne...

Linux
Hi, When will EA-Studio 3.0 be released? Ar ther any plan to port EA-Studio to Linux? Thanks Andy Andreas Luethi Consultant, Information Services Unisys (Schweiz) AG EAStudio 3.0 will ship VERY VERY soon. The product has left engineering. We are investigating a Linux port at this time, but no decision has been made. Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division Andreas Luethi wrote: > Hi, > > When will EA-Studio 3.0 be released? > Ar ther any plan to port EA-Studio to Linux? > > Thanks Andy > > Andreas Luethi > Consultant, Information S...

Linux
Hi all, Is there anybody out there who can sell me an old copy of Delphi for Linux? I actually had a copy once, when it was sold under a special name (??) but that disk seems to have disapeared... Thanks, Bart -- Bart Kindt / SARTrack Limited New Zealand www.sartrack.co.nz Hello, Bart Kindt wrote: > I actually had a copy once, when it was sold under a special name (??) that would probably be "Kylix". -- Moritz "Hey, it compiles! Ship it!" Bart Kindt schrieb: > Is there anybody out there who can sell me an old copy of Delphi for ...

Linux
Hi, Is it possible to have a Linux box print to a ndps printer??? I've got every (queue based) printer working but cannot get to any ndps printers. Thanks in advance Bob Hi Bob, >Is it possible to have a Linux box print to a ndps >printer??? I've got every (queue based) printer >working but cannot get to any ndps printers. You can enable lpr on the specific ndsp printers, which should enable you to print from a linux box.... regards -Frank Korpershoek- :Korpershoek Networking: :tel +31 15 2130034:mob +31 6 55730822:fax +31 15 2124278: ...

linux
Hello every one i downloaded the rpm version of sybase adaptive server 11.2 and used the command rpm -ivh whatever.rpm to install the sybase adaptive server can any one walk me through on how to start the server and stop the server thanks ashok try sybase.public.sqlserver.linux "ashok pappu" <apappu@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:mKyY8TlPAHA.274@forums.sybase.com... > > Hello every one > i downloaded the rpm version of sybase adaptive server 11.2 and used the > command rpm -ivh whatever.rpm to install the sybase adaptive server can any...

linux
What is the best Linux distribution from which to run Sybase ASE 12 (the beta)? Ditto for 11.9.2 Thanks in Advance, Justin Hertog In article <ODzZ5.132$fw5.7899@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Justin K. Hertog" <justinkhertog@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > What is the best Linux distribution from which to run Sybase ASE 12 (the > beta)? Ditto for 11.9.2 The 12.5 beta expects RH 6.2 or later (or a similar Caldera or SuSE installation). The details are: - kernel-2.2.14-5.0 - glibc-2.1.3-15 - rpm-3.0.4-0.48 - binutils-2.9.5.0.22-6 ...

Web resources about - Linux news - grc.techtalk.linux

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . The development of ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

Ransom32 is JavaScript-powered ransomware affecting Windows, Mac and Linux
... and malware are something of a rarity, but now there's a first-in-its-class JavaScript-based ransomware that can infect Mac, Windows and Linux. ...

Third time is no charm for failed Linux ransomware creators
... that hard truth, to the amusement of security researchers. For the past several months, a group of cybercriminals have been infecting Linux ...

How to try Ubuntu Linux without risking your Mac
... system on your Mac? Ever since Apple started using Intel chips in their computers, it’s been super simple to run Windows and even popular Linux ...

North Korea's version of Linux is extremely oppressive
It's no secret that North Korea has its own Linux distribution, Red Star OS, that limits you to a government-approved view of the world. However, ...

Debian Linux Founder, Open Source Leader Ian Murdock Dies
Former Sun Microsystems, Salesforce and Linux Foundation exec found dead under mysterious circumstances in San Francisco at 42.

North Korea’s Linux-based Red Star OS is as oppressive as you’d expect
A team of researchers have just given North Korea's Linux-based Red Star OS the once over, and as you'd expect, it's extremely locked down and ...