DVD-RW drive not recognized

I am having a problem with Knoppix not recognizing my DVD-RW drive.  I 
have tried everything I could think of to try to mount the drive, but 
all I get is errors.  I boot with Drive H, a DVD-ROM drive, and the 
drive I want to have recognized is Drive G.  I even tried editing one of 
the config files which lists the devices, but it did no good.  How does 
one force Linux to recognize and mount a drive?
0
F
7/7/2006 1:29:29 AM
grc.techtalk.linux 3969 articles. 0 followers. Follow

6 Replies
127492 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 54

Well normally when a drive is not recognized, it means there are no 
drivers for that particular drive.  You might try the Knoppix site and 
see if they mention your particular model number and suggest a driver.  
After that, try the drive mfg's site and see if they have or mention a 
suitable driver.  FInally, depending on what you need, you might be 
able to find a 'generic' driver that will give you partial 
functionality ... for example one that would allow you to read fromt he 
drive but not write to it.  The trick is figuring out what driver to 
select.  Sorry I cannot help you with that part, but try some of the 
usenet news groups.

MikeD
0
MikeD
7/7/2006 2:12:40 PM
F.C. wrote:
> I am having a problem with Knoppix not recognizing my DVD-RW drive.  I 
> have tried everything I could think of to try to mount the drive, but 
> all I get is errors.  I boot with Drive H, a DVD-ROM drive, and the 
> drive I want to have recognized is Drive G.  I even tried editing one of 
> the config files which lists the devices, but it did no good.  How does 
> one force Linux to recognize and mount a drive?

You don't "mount a drive".  You mount a file system.

Try putting in a CD or DVD-RW or whatever and see what happens.  Knoppix 
should recognize something is in there, and ask you what you want to do.
0
John
7/7/2006 2:27:05 PM
John DeCarlo wrote:
> F.C. wrote:
>> I am having a problem with Knoppix not recognizing my DVD-RW drive.  I 
>> have tried everything I could think of to try to mount the drive, but 
>> all I get is errors.  I boot with Drive H, a DVD-ROM drive, and the 
>> drive I want to have recognized is Drive G.  I even tried editing one 
>> of the config files which lists the devices, but it did no good.  How 
>> does one force Linux to recognize and mount a drive?
> 
> You don't "mount a drive".  You mount a file system.
> 
> Try putting in a CD or DVD-RW or whatever and see what happens.  Knoppix 
> should recognize something is in there, and ask you what you want to do.
Knoppix recognizes that something is there, will display an icon for the 
disk, and it will even print the label name on the disk, but I cannot 
get it to mount the content to make it readable.  After it asks me what 
I want it to do, and I choose to open a new window, it gives me an error 
  message saying it is unable to mount it.
Is there any way to boot from the first drive, then switch the Knoppix 
disk over to the second drive later?
0
F
7/7/2006 5:08:40 PM
"F.C." <nobodys@bizz.nes> wrote in message 
news:e8m4f2$2db3$1@news.grc.com...
> John DeCarlo wrote:
>> F.C. wrote:
>>> I am having a problem with Knoppix not recognizing my DVD-RW drive.  I 
>>> have tried everything I could think of to try to mount the drive, but 
>>> all I get is errors.  I boot with Drive H, a DVD-ROM drive, and the 
>>> drive I want to have recognized is Drive G.  I even tried editing one of 
>>> the config files which lists the devices, but it did no good.  How does 
>>> one force Linux to recognize and mount a drive?
>>
>> You don't "mount a drive".  You mount a file system.
>>
>> Try putting in a CD or DVD-RW or whatever and see what happens.  Knoppix 
>> should recognize something is in there, and ask you what you want to do.
> Knoppix recognizes that something is there, will display an icon for the 
> disk, and it will even print the label name on the disk, but I cannot get 
> it to mount the content to make it readable.  After it asks me what I want 
> it to do, and I choose to open a new window, it gives me an error message 
> saying it is unable to mount it.
> Is there any way to boot from the first drive, then switch the Knoppix 
> disk over to the second drive later?

If you are in "user" mode the DVD Drive may only be readable from  "root".
Try logging on as root. See if this Drive then mounts & change the 
Properties to allow the User Read access to the file System on the DVD 
device. 


0
The
7/8/2006 10:03:45 AM
The Inquirer wrote:
> If you are in "user" mode the DVD Drive may only be readable from  "root".
> Try logging on as root. See if this Drive then mounts & change the 
> Properties to allow the User Read access to the file System on the DVD 
> device. 
> 
The weird thing is that if the boot disk is in the first drive, I can 
access files in either drive.  It is only if the Knoppix boot disk is in 
the second drive, the system will not mount the first one.
Does anybody know what is the proper way to put files onto a USB key 
drive in Knoppix?
0
F
7/9/2006 6:49:53 AM
This thread is a few days old, so I don't know whether you figured it
out yet or not, but here goes.

To put files on the flash drive:
Plug in the drive, probably a good Idea to have something small on the
drive already.
Figure out which device it is: usually controlled as an SCSI drive
Try /dev/sda or /dev/sdb
If you have an SATA hard drive then you'll need to try higher letters
(b, c, etc.)
I'm not sure how to tell which one specifically, except for
mounting/exploring each.

To mount go to the command line and use "mount".
the command should be similar to this:
mount -t auto /dev/sda /where/you/want/to/mount

Also before mounting make sure that /where/you/want/to/mount actually
exists.

If it is the wrong drive use "umount /dev/sda"

Note all of the above will require root privaleges.



Try using the mount command as root

F.C. wrote:
> The Inquirer wrote:
>> If you are in "user" mode the DVD Drive may only be readable from 
>> "root".
>> Try logging on as root. See if this Drive then mounts & change the
>> Properties to allow the User Read access to the file System on the DVD
>> device.
> The weird thing is that if the boot disk is in the first drive, I can
> access files in either drive.  It is only if the Knoppix boot disk is in
> the second drive, the system will not mount the first one.
> Does anybody know what is the proper way to put files onto a USB key
> drive in Knoppix?

-- 
Thank you,
Zach
0
Zach
7/11/2006 9:09:46 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

DVD-RW drives exactly compatible with CD-RW drives and media?
Lately my good computer has a DVD-RW and CD-RW. I've been using the DVD-RW for DVDs only, and the CD-RW for CDs only. However, I've started having a few problems with the CD-RW and think it may be time to toss it. Some people are doing the same thing I do (not mixing drives and media) so as to save their precious DVD-RW and not wear it out prematurely. IMHO, these days a fine DVD-RW can be had for $99 or less, so the cost isn't any big deal anymore. I did note one problem I had reading a CD-R on a DVD-RW drive, but never investigated what the cause was, could'...

Dvd Burner vs Dvd burner with cd rw vs Cd RW drive?
Dvd Burner vs Dvd burner with cd rw vs Cd RW drive? Which is the best? Which can read memorex CD-RW disk 8x-12x High Speed. I know on some computers those memorex cd can not be read by a 52x cd-rw drive but can be read by a dvd player. I also found out those 52 speed cd-r disk won't work in a 48x speed drive. Greg R On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:14:33 -0500, Greg R wrote: > Dvd Burner vs Dvd burner with cd rw vs Cd RW drive? > > Which is the best? > > Which can read memorex CD-RW disk 8x-12x High Speed. > > I know on some computers those mem...

NEC DVD/RW drive recognizes DVDs, not CDs
From out of the blue my NEC 2510A DVD/RW drive stopped recognizing CDs and CDROMs, but still continues to read and write DVDs. When I insert a CDR I have recorded, the "what action should Windows take" dialog box comes up listing it as a blank CD. When I insert a commercial CDROM, the "what action" box does not come up; when I look at the drive in Windows Explorer, no files are shown. I have re-seated the drive's cables, as well as removed and re-added in Device Manager. I have not installed any new software recently. The drive worked fine for months. ...

Not recognizing DVD drive and DVD in install
I downloaded Linux workstation 10 to one DVD and started the install process. The install stops recognizing the DVD device (HL DT ST DVD). I can get the install to recognize most other devices but the DVD drive and DVD. -- jdguy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I downloaded Linux workstation 10 to one DVD and started the install process. The install stops recognizing the DVD device (HL DT ST DVD). I can get the install to recognize most other devices but the DVD drive and DVD. -- jdguy ---------------------------------...

CD-RW/DVD ROM drive won't boot DVD's
I am trying to install from a DVD and it will not boot. Ultimately I want to install Slackware, but my openSUSE 11.1 DVD won't boot either. The 11.1 disc may be bad, because it won't boot on my Acer desktop either. Which it has before. I'm trying to re-install the root partition on there. The Slackware DVD is good because it did boot on my Acer. It won't boot on my laptop, though. I tried going to the IBM website and burning a CD to upgrade my firmware. That CD wouldn't boot either, and that's the first that hasn't. My laptop is an IBM ThinkPad R40. I...

DVD R/RW Drive not working!!
How do i install my drive so that i can burn some dvds? I can burn on windows so i know it still works, but i cant get Linux to recognize it. Please help!!! I dont know how to get the specs for the DVD drive through terminal, so i cant post what i have. -- furhead1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ What kind of drive to you have? Is it external (usb connected), or internal? Most just work out of the box. Have you tried inserting a data cd/dvd and viewing with dolphin,konqueror, or nautilus? With dvd drive connected, what do th...

Sony DVD RW Drive Issue
I recently replaced my old dvd burner with a Sony DVD-RW drive and openSuSE 11 seemed to recognize it fine. Now when I do anything, read, write, etc. it hangs up. I remember in k3b that it said that modprobe was being used, and I pressed continue and it was alright for that session. Then, I go try something else and it doesn't do anything with the drive. The only way I've been able to reset whatever is wrong is by rebooting the entire system, since I don't know what the issue could be and that I'm relatively new to open SuSE, but other than this so far it has been gre...

External DVD Rom Drive Not Recognized
Hello, We've had to add an external DVD-Rom drive for some subscription marketing DVDs that come in several times a year. We found that the DVD version didn't work in NW4.11 and 4.2 (the server would abend), but we're now upgrading to NW6 and we're told it supports the reading in of DVDs. My issue is the vendor sent us a DVD-Rom, and we've connected it to the server, but when we do a list devices, we see the internal CD-Rom, the Compaq Array controller for the hard drive, and this: 0x000F:[V321-A2-D3:0] Unbound Device Object How do we make NW6 recognize th...

Unable to use external DVD-RW Drive
I've got a problem and a couple quesitons. First the problem. I'm running openSUSE 11.1 32-bit and I'm trying to use my external USB DVD-RW drive. I've tried loading two 11.1 discs in the drive and both of them fail. After putting the dvd in the drive I mount with:: mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom and it comes back with: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so So when i run dmesg I get: [ 1198.836720] sr 3:0:0:0...

Reading DVD-RW/+RW
I have a DVD writer (Pioneer DVD-106D) and have written some data onto both a DVD-RW and a DVD+RW disk. However when I try to read those disks in another DVD Drive (LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B) on my system they seem unrecognisable. However if I place them in another system both disks can be read OK. Both systems have Nero InCD installed and Nero's drive information shows that the drive should support reading of both types of disk. OS is WinXPPro SP1 + all the patches. Any ideas suggestions as to why I cant read them on my own system? Thanks in advance. -- Regards Ray &q...

vlc and mplayer stops recognizing dvd drive
Before I was able to watch a dvd by simply entering the device (/dev/sr0) into vlc's open disk dialog. However, now when I tried to do the same thing, with another dvd, I get Code: -------------------- Could not open device /dev/sr0 -------------------- as an error. Otherwise, KDE can mount the drive perfectly, and I can browse to the video folder and play dvds that way, but I want to know what changed over a few days? One note, mounting using the following command Code: -------------------- mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media -------------------- work...

putting DVD RW drive in PIO mode
So . . . I'm back from T-day. While out of state, I bought some Memorex DVD-RW media. Loaded it into my Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A with firmware Revision : 1.02. And can't write to the darned things. Among other things cdrecord reports >Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0 >Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x06 (cannot format medium - incompatible medium) Fru 0x0 Can't return them to the retailer, so I need to make them work, if possible. One thing that's been suggested is to use the latest firmware, Revision 1.05. As I look into what's involved, need to use the...

Problems adding a DVD-RW drive and updating IDE** drivers
I just purchased a Sony DRU-830A (dual-layer) DVD burner. My goal is to put this into my NW 6.5 SP3 server to be able to backup my SYS: volume as I install and configure various applications (FTP, WEB, iPrint, etc). When I get to a level of install that is working, I want to be able to grab that and then try something else. Since a backup solution hasn't been chosen yet, I'm testing those as I go to. I'm currently testing NovaStor's Nova-Net which can backup the data to optical drives. But when I try to Erase or Format the DVD-RW disk, I get errors. I thought maybe...

DVD-RW Drive Fails to Read CD It Just Burned!
Downloaded KDE 3.5 Live CD, md5 and sha1 sums are correct. Then I burned the iso to a clean cd. Upon rebooting with the cd in its drive I selected the 'Check Installation Media' from the boot menu. At 81% the check fails: > check: 81% > err: sector 276288 > check: md5sum not checked > md5: <an md5 is outputed, but is obviously not right> > -----> Press any key for reboot: I press a key and then: > -----> CheckMedia > -----> reboot Exception: error consoles at Alt-F3/F4 > -----> reboot: reboot in 120 sec... I press Alt-F3 and don&...

Web resources about - DVD-RW drive not recognized - grc.techtalk.linux

List of states with limited recognition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some contemporary geopolitical entities that wish to be recognised as de jure sovereign states have been hindered by a lack of diplomatic recognition ...

Twitter recognized by Online Trust Alliance
... that have adopted key technologies to help protect users’ privacy and identity from abuse. We’re very pleased that this year the OTA has recognized ...

ENDTIME California Allows First Ever State Recognized Human Animal Marriage - YouTube
- Read more at: http://gistonthis.com/endtime-california-allows-first-ever-state-recognized-human-animal-marriage/ What kind of report is this? ...

Women leaders in security recognized
Each year, the Executive Women's Forum announces their "Women of Influence" Awards at their annual EWF event.

Syria's main opposition group recognized by U.S.
U.S. President Barack Obama declared Syria's main opposition group the sole legitimate representative of its country's people Tuesday, deeming ...

U.S. says planned independence vote in eastern Ukraine will not be recognized - CTV News
The Obama administration denounced as illegal a planned weekend referendum by pro-Russian insurgents pushing for autonomy and independence for ...

Alberta talent recognized by Emmys for work on ‘Fargo’
Alberta-born cinematographer Matthew J. Lloyd always thought he'd have to go to New York or Los Angeles to find success.

Henrik Nilsson's Owl Photo Recognized By National Geographic Photo Contest
A North Vancouver photographer has been recognized by the National Geographic Photo Contest 2014 for his striking image of a wild short-eared ...

Student news recognized by Canadian Online Publishing Awards
Student news organizations were among the winners at this year’s Canadian Online Publishing Awards. Student news organizations were among the ...

Xinhua Insight: What after China's past glories get recognized by World ...
Xinhua Xinhua Insight: What after China's past glories get recognized by World ... CCTV BEIJING, June 22 (Xinhua) China had made marathon ...

Resources last updated: 2/7/2016 10:43:31 PM