Dual boot - Linux/Linux

Recently, all of the sata controllers on my system board went south.
Rather than buy a new board, I decided to dump Windows completely (since
it is a pain to get working from an external drive) and just go with
Ubuntu as an external. The Ubuntu install went fine. Everything so far
is working. I decided to take the drive that used to have XP on it and
set up a couple of other distro's to take a look at. I installed Kbuntu,
and everything worked fine. I then installed Mepis. After the install I
got a grub error:2 which I believe is that it cannot find the OS. I know
this is doable, just beyond my knowledge level. I installed each into
it's own partition, so mepis was in sda3. Does linux prefer to be on the
first partition on the drive? I also had it write grub to the mbr.
Should I have written it to root instead?
0
Fishbate
10/15/2008 11:16:58 PM
grc.techtalk.linux 3969 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Fishbate wrote:
> Recently, all of the sata controllers on my system board went south.
> Rather than buy a new board, I decided to dump Windows completely (since
> it is a pain to get working from an external drive) and just go with
> Ubuntu as an external. The Ubuntu install went fine. Everything so far
> is working. I decided to take the drive that used to have XP on it and
> set up a couple of other distro's to take a look at. I installed Kbuntu,
> and everything worked fine. I then installed Mepis. After the install I
> got a grub error:2 which I believe is that it cannot find the OS. I know
> this is doable, just beyond my knowledge level. I installed each into
> it's own partition, so mepis was in sda3. Does linux prefer to be on the
> first partition on the drive? I also had it write grub to the mbr.
> Should I have written it to root instead?

Mepis will install to ether MBR or Root just as buntu will, who's menu
are you currently seeing?
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.0
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/15/2008 11:53:51 PM
Fishbate wrote:
> Recently, all of the sata controllers on my system board went south.
> Rather than buy a new board, I decided to dump Windows completely (since
> it is a pain to get working from an external drive) and just go with
> Ubuntu as an external. The Ubuntu install went fine. Everything so far
> is working. I decided to take the drive that used to have XP on it and
> set up a couple of other distro's to take a look at. I installed Kbuntu,
> and everything worked fine. I then installed Mepis. After the install I
> got a grub error:2 which I believe is that it cannot find the OS. I know
> this is doable, just beyond my knowledge level. I installed each into
> it's own partition, so mepis was in sda3. Does linux prefer to be on the
> first partition on the drive? I also had it write grub to the mbr.
> Should I have written it to root instead?

You may have got caught by the 256 bit inode for ext3 problem.  I know
some Ubuntu distros are using this in their default format.  I had a
similar problem with Mandriva 2009, and Isaac Marcos pointed me towards
the solution of the problem.

The older version of GRUB, (Mepis), will not work with 256 bit inodes,
and returns  an "Error 2".

See the thread: "Mandriva 2009 weirdness" <gd11v9$7nk$1@news.grc.com>
with Isaac's reply with references to the problem.

Many new distros are changing to 256 bit inodes to better be able to
migrate to ext4.  In addition to Ubuntu they include Mandriva 2009,
Fedora 9, and OpenSUSE 11.0.

Windows' "Disk Management" doesn't like these partitions either! :-)

Just another bump in the Linux road!

--
Virg Wall

PCLinuxOS 2007
MEPIS 7.0
0
VWWall
10/16/2008 12:18:47 AM
Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Fishbate wrote:
>> Recently, all of the sata controllers on my system board went south.
>> Rather than buy a new board, I decided to dump Windows completely
>> (since it is a pain to get working from an external drive) and just go
>> with Ubuntu as an external. The Ubuntu install went fine. Everything
>> so far is working. I decided to take the drive that used to have XP on
>> it and set up a couple of other distro's to take a look at. I
>> installed Kbuntu, and everything worked fine. I then installed Mepis.
>> After the install I got a grub error:2 which I believe is that it
>> cannot find the OS. I know this is doable, just beyond my knowledge
>> level. I installed each into it's own partition, so mepis was in sda3.
>> Does linux prefer to be on the first partition on the drive? I also
>> had it write grub to the mbr. Should I have written it to root instead?
>
> Mepis will install to ether MBR or Root just as buntu will, who's menu
> are you currently seeing?

I copied the buntu lines from it's menu list into the mepis menu list
and got the same error. so I re-installed kubuntu and am still seeing
the mepis menu. Kubuntu does noot from the menu, but mepis still gives
me the same error.
0
Fishbate
10/16/2008 12:53:49 AM
VWWall wrote:
> Fishbate wrote:
>> Recently, all of the sata controllers on my system board went south.
>> Rather than buy a new board, I decided to dump Windows completely
>> (since it is a pain to get working from an external drive) and just go
>> with Ubuntu as an external. The Ubuntu install went fine. Everything
>> so far is working. I decided to take the drive that used to have XP on
>> it and set up a couple of other distro's to take a look at. I
>> installed Kbuntu, and everything worked fine. I then installed Mepis.
>> After the install I got a grub error:2 which I believe is that it
>> cannot find the OS. I know this is doable, just beyond my knowledge
>> level. I installed each into it's own partition, so mepis was in sda3.
>> Does linux prefer to be on the first partition on the drive? I also
>> had it write grub to the mbr. Should I have written it to root instead?

> Just another bump in the Linux road!

Virg, if you have a distro installed and a working grub menu and you
install the next distro to root and use the chainloader I mentioned in
my earlier post you won't have any problem.

The chainloader works with Windows, Linux and BSD, so far I have not
found a distro that will not chainload and if I get a distro that will
not install to Root then I won't install grub until after that distro is
installed or I won't install that distro at all.

If you want to give chainloading a try just backup your current menu and
start using it, outside of changing the title you will never need to
screw with your menu again no matter what distro you are using or if
your kernel has been upgraded or not, chainloading don't care.
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.0
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/16/2008 12:58:22 AM
VWWall wrote:

> You may have got caught by the 256 bit inode for ext3 problem.  I know
> some Ubuntu distros are using this in their default format.  I had a
> similar problem with Mandriva 2009, and Isaac Marcos pointed me towards
> the solution of the problem.
>
> The older version of GRUB, (Mepis), will not work with 256 bit inodes,
> and returns  an "Error 2".
>
> See the thread: "Mandriva 2009 weirdness" <gd11v9$7nk$1@news.grc.com>
> with Isaac's reply with references to the problem.
>
> Many new distros are changing to 256 bit inodes to better be able to
> migrate to ext4.  In addition to Ubuntu they include Mandriva 2009,
> Fedora 9, and OpenSUSE 11.0.
>
> Windows' "Disk Management" doesn't like these partitions either! :-)
>
> Just another bump in the Linux road!

Thanks. I will have to do a little reading on it to fully understand it.
  To simplify things though, I could put a newer distro on that drive
with kubuntu, then put mepis on a drive by itself. The way I am working
it now with ubuntu and kubuntu is to only power on the drive that I want
to boot to.
0
Fishbate
10/16/2008 1:01:04 AM
Fishbate wrote:
> Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>> Fishbate wrote:
>>> Recently, all of the sata controllers on my system board went south.
>>> Rather than buy a new board, I decided to dump Windows completely
>>> (since it is a pain to get working from an external drive) and just
>>> go with Ubuntu as an external. The Ubuntu install went fine.
>>> Everything so far is working. I decided to take the drive that used
>>> to have XP on it and set up a couple of other distro's to take a look
>>> at. I installed Kbuntu, and everything worked fine. I then installed
>>> Mepis. After the install I got a grub error:2 which I believe is that
>>> it cannot find the OS. I know this is doable, just beyond my
>>> knowledge level. I installed each into it's own partition, so mepis
>>> was in sda3. Does linux prefer to be on the first partition on the
>>> drive? I also had it write grub to the mbr. Should I have written it
>>> to root instead?

>> Mepis will install to ether MBR or Root just as buntu will, who's menu
>> are you currently seeing?

> I copied the buntu lines from it's menu list into the mepis menu list
> and got the same error. so I re-installed kubuntu and am still seeing
> the mepis menu. Kubuntu does noot from the menu, but mepis still gives
> me the same error.

So if I understand what you are saying buntu is booting ok, but Mepis
will not boot, is that right?

If that is correct, can you tell me what partition Mepis is installed on?
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.0
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/16/2008 1:03:33 AM
Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> So if I understand what you are saying buntu is booting ok, but Mepis
> will not boot, is that right?
right - after re-installing buntu

> If that is correct, can you tell me what partition Mepis is installed on?
sda1 - Kubuntu
sda2 - swap (kubuntu)
sda3 - mepis
sda4 - swap (mepis)
I didn't know until after that I could have run with one swap partition.
0
Fishbate
10/16/2008 1:16:41 AM
Fishbate wrote:
> Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>
>> So if I understand what you are saying buntu is booting ok, but Mepis
>> will not boot, is that right?
> right - after re-installing buntu

>> If that is correct, can you tell me what partition Mepis is installed on?
> sda1 - Kubuntu
> sda2 - swap (kubuntu)
> sda3 - mepis
> sda4 - swap (mepis)
> I didn't know until after that I could have run with one swap partition.

edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst so that for Mepis you use this:

title SimplyMEPIS at sda3, newest kernel
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader +1

Let me know if that works or what problem you get.
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.0
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/16/2008 1:42:42 AM
Isaac M. Marcos wrote:
> Fishbate Fishbate@lifeguarding.com wrote previously in grc.techtalk.linux:
>
> [...]
>> Should I have written it to root instead?
>
> Although a bit old already, there is a long and detailed description of how
> saikee got 100+ Systems to boot in one box:
>
> http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143973

Now that just gives me a headache.
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.0
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/16/2008 2:05:18 AM
Fishbate wrote:
> VWWall wrote:
>
>> You may have got caught by the 256 bit inode for ext3 problem.  I know
>> some Ubuntu distros are using this in their default format.  I had a
>> similar problem with Mandriva 2009, and Isaac Marcos pointed me
>> towards the solution of the problem.
>>
>> The older version of GRUB, (Mepis), will not work with 256 bit inodes,
>> and returns  an "Error 2".
>
> Thanks. I will have to do a little reading on it to fully understand it.
>  To simplify things though, I could put a newer distro on that drive
> with kubuntu, then put mepis on a drive by itself. The way I am working
> it now with ubuntu and kubuntu is to only power on the drive that I want
> to boot to.

It doesn't matter which drive or partition(s) you put any Linux distro
into.  I have four Linux distros plus two Windows on two drives
scattered over 14 partitions. ( One "/" , and one "/home" for each of
four distros.)  All four share a swap partition.  Linux, unlike Windows,
can be installed in any partition(s), including logical ones.

For the last distro you installed, (Mepis), you put its older GRUB in
the MBR, which won't work with partitions using 256 bit inodes which the
newer versions of Kubuntu create by default.

You can use Jimmy's suggestion and replace the Kubuntu item in Mempis'
menu.lst with chainloader.  This will cause the Kubuntu GRUB to boot
properly.

I believe that installing Kubuntu last, with its newer GRUB in the MBR
would produce a menu.lst which includes Mepis and would boot it properly.

Another alternative is to set up the Kubuntu partitions ahead of the
install and format them with the standard exe3.  You can then un-check
the "format" boxes for these partitions and they will remain as
"standard" exe3 which the old GRUB understands.  This is worth doing
only if you plan on having several "old" distros.

If you are using removable drives you may want to edit your menu.lst to
use UUIDs to identify the partitions.  These will remain constant when
you change, (or power up), different drives.  This is getting a bit more
complicated than needed, but changing drives can change the partition
labels that Linux uses.  Leaving the drives in the same state will avoid
this.

--
Virg Wall

PCLinuxOS 2007
MEPIS 7.0
Mandriva 2008
0
VWWall
10/16/2008 4:44:32 AM
Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> VWWall wrote:

>> Just another bump in the Linux road!

> Virg, if you have a distro installed and a working grub menu and you
> install the next distro to root and use the chainloader I mentioned in
> my earlier post you won't have any problem.

I have used chainloader.  It has to be used with Windows, which has its
own boot scheme.  From there I pick WinXPPro or WinXPx64.

> If you want to give chainloading a try just backup your current menu and
> start using it, outside of changing the title you will never need to
> screw with your menu again no matter what distro you are using or if
> your kernel has been upgraded or not, chainloading don't care.

I have a small, (30mb), separate boot partition with /boot/grub
containing the menu.lst for all my distros.  I have only one entry for
each, tailored to show which distro to boot.  The graphical GRUB boot
screen goes directly to the distro I want to boot.  Changing it for a
new distro is trivial, especially if I install the new one in place of
one already in the menu.lst.  Most distros use vmlinuz as a link to the
newest kernel, and initrd.img, so even that does not change.  I just
change the title to show what I wish in the single boot screen.

"Each to his own taste.", the old lady said as she kissed the pig1 :-)

--
Virg Wall

PCLinuxOS 2007
MEPIS 7.0
0
VWWall
10/16/2008 5:03:19 AM
Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Fishbate wrote:
>> Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> So if I understand what you are saying buntu is booting ok, but Mepis
>>> will not boot, is that right?
>> right - after re-installing buntu
>
>>> If that is correct, can you tell me what partition Mepis is installed
>>> on?
>> sda1 - Kubuntu
>> sda2 - swap (kubuntu)
>> sda3 - mepis
>> sda4 - swap (mepis)
>> I didn't know until after that I could have run with one swap partition.
>
> edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst so that for Mepis you use this:
>
> title SimplyMEPIS at sda3, newest kernel
> rootnoverify (hd0,2)
> chainloader +1
>
> Let me know if that works or what problem you get.

This requires that GRUB be in the root partition of the distro that is
being chainloaded.  Fishbate has been putting it in the MBR.

--
Virg Wall

PCLinuxOS 2007
MEPIS 7.0
0
VWWall
10/16/2008 5:18:57 AM
Isaac M. Marcos wrote:
> Jimmy Johnson Jimmy@disposable.invalid wrote previously in
> grc.techtalk.linux:
>
>> Isaac M. Marcos wrote:
> [...]
>>> http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143973
>>
>> Now that just gives me a headache.
>
> Ok, Jimmy,  Your approach and mine are very different. I like to have all
> the relevant facts and details that ensure the correct solution. That's my
> intent on providing relevant data to the OP. You know that "the devil is in
> the details". Perhaps he doesn't know some detail, perhaps his understanding
> of the recommendations is twisted. More examples could better his
> understanding.

I read that post some time ago and still have it bookmarked.  The notes
alone are invaluable in understanding GRUB.  (I can only wish he'd
encountered the 256 bit inode problem!) :-)  Thank you for drawing my
attention to that as a Mandriva 2009 problem.

It seems more and  more new distros are going to the 256 bit inode as a
default format.  The next big hurdle will be when they switch to the the
new GRUB!

--
Virg Wall

PCLinuxOS 2007
MEPIS 7.0
Mandriva 2008
0
VWWall
10/16/2008 3:13:38 PM
VWWall wrote:
> Fishbate wrote:
>> VWWall wrote:
>>
>>> You may have got caught by the 256 bit inode for ext3 problem.  I
>>> know some Ubuntu distros are using this in their default format.  I
>>> had a similar problem with Mandriva 2009, and Isaac Marcos pointed me
>>> towards the solution of the problem.
>>>
>>> The older version of GRUB, (Mepis), will not work with 256 bit
>>> inodes, and returns  an "Error 2".

>> Thanks. I will have to do a little reading on it to fully understand
>> it.  To simplify things though, I could put a newer distro on that
>> drive with kubuntu, then put mepis on a drive by itself. The way I am
>> working it now with ubuntu and kubuntu is to only power on the drive
>> that I want to boot to.

> It doesn't matter which drive or partition(s) you put any Linux distro
> into.  I have four Linux distros plus two Windows on two drives
> scattered over 14 partitions. ( One "/" , and one "/home" for each of
> four distros.)  All four share a swap partition.  Linux, unlike Windows,
> can be installed in any partition(s), including logical ones.
>
> For the last distro you installed, (Mepis), you put its older GRUB in
> the MBR, which won't work with partitions using 256 bit inodes which the
> newer versions of Kubuntu create by default.
>
> You can use Jimmy's suggestion and replace the Kubuntu item in Mempis'
> menu.lst with chainloader.  This will cause the Kubuntu GRUB to boot
> properly.
>
> I believe that installing Kubuntu last, with its newer GRUB in the MBR
> would produce a menu.lst which includes Mepis and would boot it properly.

I will give that a shot. I will try putting the chainloader in the menu
list before reloading just to see if I can get it to work.

> Another alternative is to set up the Kubuntu partitions ahead of the
> install and format them with the standard exe3.  You can then un-check
> the "format" boxes for these partitions and they will remain as
> "standard" exe3 which the old GRUB understands.  This is worth doing
> only if you plan on having several "old" distros.
That is th plan, to try several distro's to see which ones I like. I
will be putting the others on their own smaller drives thugh.

> If you are using removable drives you may want to edit your menu.lst to
> use UUIDs to identify the partitions.  These will remain constant when
> you change, (or power up), different drives.  This is getting a bit more
> complicated than needed, but changing drives can change the partition
> labels that Linux uses.  Leaving the drives in the same state will avoid
> this.

The versions of Linux on separate drives do not know about the versions
on different drives. The only time a drive is powered on is when I am
going to boot to it.
0
Fishbate
10/16/2008 4:20:36 PM
Fishbate wrote:
(Snipped)
> The versions of Linux on separate drives do not know about the versions
> on different drives. The only time a drive is powered on is when I am
> going to boot to it.

Similar to you, but for a different reason, I now run my main distro
PCLOS on a usb external drive. And I use my now Window-less HDD to try
out new distros.
I always install grub to the mbr. If when I subsequently install another
distro its grub menu doesn't show all the others I:
1. Boot up as "root" (using if necessary a live CD such as PCLOS which
allows that).
2. Search for the other distros Menu 1st lists and copy/paste the
relevant line to the latest grub.

_Caution_. I am an enthusiastic amateur, not an expert like Jimmy and
others here. I've previously tried the chainloader system, but for some
reason it doesn't work for me. My last trial was with Mepis 7.0 and it
works fine.
I know this doesn't solve your original problem, but one of the reasons
I like PCLOS is it's ability to boot into "root" and so use such a
simple solution.

--
TonyP
PCLinuxOS 2007
Isaac M. Marcos wrote:
> Jimmy Johnson Jimmy@disposable.invalid wrote previously in
> grc.techtalk.linux:
>
>> Isaac M. Marcos wrote:
> [...]
>>> http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143973
>>
>> Now that just gives me a headache.

> Ok, Jimmy,  Your approach and mine are very different. I like to have all
> the relevant facts and details that ensure the correct solution. That's my
> intent on providing relevant data to the OP. You know that "the devil is in
> the details". Perhaps he doesn't know some detail, perhaps his understanding
> of the recommendations is twisted. More examples could better his
> understanding.

> And, for a quick answer I included a short description, which you omitted.

> You always are in a quick shooter mode, sometimes you hit the target, the
> rest of the time you need thoughtful people to find the correct answer. :-)

I don't know what got you panties in a bind but I was just commenting on
your link to installing 100+ operating systems, I think it's a bit of an
overkill for a person that is trying make 3 Linux systems play nice.
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.0
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/16/2008 7:39:24 PM
TonyP wrote:

> I am an enthusiastic amateur, not an expert like Jimmy...

Now you gone and dunnit... <snicker>

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
Mark Warner wrote:
> TonyP wrote:
>>
>> I am an enthusiastic amateur, not an expert like Jimmy...
>
> Now you gone and dunnit... <snicker>

I asked Warren if he could make us a new kernel, I did not get a reply,
actions speak loader than words I'm guessing the answer is no.
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.0
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/16/2008 9:48:48 PM
TonyP wrote:

> _Caution_. I am an enthusiastic amateur, not an expert like Jimmy and
> others here. I've previously tried the chainloader system, but for some
> reason it doesn't work for me.

Thanks, but while I work well with hardware and can install a system, I
would not call myself an expert, but I'm now chainloading multiple
systems on 3 desktops and my main laptop, the only problem I have had
was with PCLOS it wanted to boot to the second line on its own menu and
was easy to fix, I'm chainloading many distros including BSD, Linux and
Windows without problem, if you decide to try it again and have a
problem ask for help.
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.0
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/16/2008 10:04:55 PM
Fishbate wrote:
Thanks all for all of the advice and links. I won't get a chance to try
any of it until the weekend (some people won't pay me unless I actually
do work). I will post the results sometime on the weekend.
0
Fishbate
10/16/2008 10:40:57 PM
Fishbate wrote:
After re-installing Mepis and putting grub in root, and adding the
chainloader, the system hung opening grub. I ree-installed mepis to
sda1, and put grub in the mbr. I then got the error, cannot find hd 0,0.
At that point I decided that there is either a problem with the cd or I
need to learn a lot more before I can make this work. I suspect the
latter. For the time being, I am just going to run Kununtu on that drive
until I get a better handle on how this all fits together.
0
Fishbate
10/20/2008 12:52:55 AM
Fishbate wrote:
> Fishbate wrote:
> After re-installing Mepis and putting grub in root, and adding the
> chainloader, the system hung opening grub.

Did it give an error?

> I reinstalled mepis to
> sda1, and put grub in the mbr. I then got the error, cannot find hd 0,0.

Is the drive active/boot-flag/bootable? You can use the mepis live cd
and the same tools used for the install to see if the drive is active,
if not just click to make it active, nothing else needs to be done and
the drive will now boot.

> At that point I decided that there is either a problem with the cd or I
> need to learn a lot more before I can make this work. I suspect the
> latter. For the time being, I am just going to run Kununtu on that drive
> until I get a better handle on how this all fits together.

My setup is
/windows/swap/mepis/other-linux-distros/personal-files-fat32/personal-files-ext3/

I always put mepis grub to the mbr and never have a problem, but, if I
do have a problem:

1. The first partition with the mbr is not active/bootable.

2. The mbr is corrupt from a previous install of some other OS and I
fdisk the mbr using a winme boot cd (fdisk /mbr), then while using the
mepis live cd, I go to kmenu, system, mepis, mepis system assistant and
reinstall grub. www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.0
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
10/20/2008 5:30:35 AM
Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Fishbate wrote:
>> Fishbate wrote:
>> After re-installing Mepis and putting grub in root, and adding the
>> chainloader, the system hung opening grub.

> Did it give an error?
No - it loaded the kubuntu grub. When I selected SimplyMepis it hung at

>> I reinstalled mepis to sda1, and put grub in the mbr. I then got the
>> error, cannot find hd 0,0.
>
> Is the drive active/boot-flag/bootable? You can use the mepis live cd
> and the same tools used for the install to see if the drive is active,
> if not just click to make it active, nothing else needs to be done and
> the drive will now boot.
I actually got the mepis splash menu that time. It was after I maade my
selection that it gave the error.

>> At that point I decided that there is either a problem with the cd or
>> I need to learn a lot more before I can make this work. I suspect the
>> latter. For the time being, I am just going to run Kununtu on that
>> drive until I get a better handle on how this all fits together.
>
> My setup is
> /windows/swap/mepis/other-linux-distros/personal-files-fat32/personal-files-ext3/
>

> I always put mepis grub to the mbr and never have a problem, but, if I
> do have a problem:
>
> 1. The first partition with the mbr is not active/bootable.
>
> 2. The mbr is corrupt from a previous install of some other OS and I
> fdisk the mbr using a winme boot cd (fdisk /mbr), then while using the
> mepis live cd, I go to kmenu, system, mepis, mepis system assistant and
> reinstall grub. www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html

In hind sight, I probably should have written a new mnr and
repartitioned the drive before the install.
0
Fishbate

Change dual boot to single boot
I will greatly appreciate your help so that I correctly change my dual boot set up (Fedora 3 + SUSE10.3 (as the default)- both x86_64) to just SUSE10.3 x86_64 and install a "virtual box" and 32-bit SUSE as the "guest operating system" in the "virtual box". The current partitions on two hard drives and the current boot dirctory in the root (/) directory look like the following: Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders, total 234441648 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Disk identifier: 0x0...

Triple boot to dual boot issue
Hey folks, Usually I am too proud to ask for help, but this seems to be an issue I can't remedy. I have 2 hard drives in my machine - a 640GB and a 500GB. My setup a few days ago was a triple boot ubuntu/opensuse/windows 7. I had both linux distros on the 500GB HD and my windows on the 640GB. All was well until I decided I wasn't going to be using ubuntu anymore. My solution was to do a clean install of opensuse on the 500GB drive, therefore overwriting ubuntu entirely and being on my merry way. Please don't burn me if this is incorrect, it was the most reasonable ...

Boot Disk or Floppy Instead of Dual Boot?
I would like Suse 11.1 to live on one of 2 HDs (160GB&250GB) in my WinXPHome PC (PIII 512MB Ram). I attempted to install Suse for a dual boot setup on the 160HD with windows, which had 20GB of unused space. I did something wrong and ended up unable boot to any OS, even though all the files were still there(able to see them while running a liveCD). Finally I ended up reinstalling XP on the entire 160HD, and then started trying to install Suse again as dual boot, this time intending to place it on the 250HD. The setup the installer suggested involved shrinking the partition on tha...

After a dual-boot install, Vista no longer boots
I installed opensuse 11 from a burned DVD. I have two hard drives: one 40GB drive with two ntfs partitions /dev/sda1 (with Vista install) and /dev/sda2, and another 8GB drive with the Suse installation and swap partition. For some reason, when I choose to boot Vista from the GRUB menu, it just gets stuck at a black console screen with Code: -------------------- rootnoverify(hd1,0) chainloader(hd0,0)+1 -------------------- How do I fix this? -- Benjamin_Xiao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Try: *rootnoverify (hd0,...

Boot Loader Error (dual boot with xp)
Hi, I'm new to the whole linux scene. I thought it was time to try something new on my pc. I've downloaded Linux openSuse11.1. I've used all standard installation settings, except for the language part then ;-) All went fine, untill the last part of the installation, when it was installing the boot loader. It said not installed, partition not found. So I tried several times, but then after a while,i just said, do not retry. So the result, when trying to boot it says no operating system found.. (like lol, i had xp installed ??) But whatever I said I wont give up...

Problem with dual boot
I have a problem that I can not get winXP to boot from grub. I replaced Vista on a laptop with WinXP, which as expected clobbered grub. After a successful WinXP install (rebooted winXP twice to confirm it boots ok) I then restored grub from the Linux DVD. Now I can boot openSUSE-11.1 again from the grub menu selection, but winXP fails to boot, giving the error "NTLDR is missing" fdisk -l : Code: -------------------- Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes...

Boot issues-dual boot mac/suse
I recently attempted to dual boot mac osx and opensuse 11.0 and when I tried to boot after installing suse, i was unable to boot into either os. All I get is a blank white screen. I can boot from cd's but other than that I dont whats going on, I would be grateful if someone could help me remedy the situation or at least point me in the right direction. I would prefer not to re-install osx(if at all possible). Thanks in advance. -- brad_stuba ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > I would prefer not to re-install osx(if at all pos...

Dual Boot XP Suse
I need some help with Dualboot system. I've got 3 hard drives in my computer 2 SATA and one ATA. I'm running WinXP on one of the SATA drives, the other one is just used for storing files. Since yesterday I'm running OpenSUSE 11.0 on the ATA drive. I installed Suse correctly over normal way not in the WinXP environment. Everything works fine. Then I restarted the computer to see if the Boot partitions would run correctly. Grub loader starts. OpenSuse works just fine while WinXp is not bootable anymore. Everytime I choose the WinXP boot option I get the message: rootnoveri...

Dual boot won't boot Win98SE
I'm able to boot into W2KPro on the D: drive, but Win98SE won't boot from the C: drive. My older son uses Win98SE and I use W2KPro. He says he didn't cause this problem. I am able to boot into Safe Mode and I ran AdAware, just in case. Nothing found. At first, the boot would end with one of those VxD errors: 0028:08181A97 VxD ---. I booted with Bootlog and the last line says "Initializing KERNEL". I'm not getting the VxD blue screen any more. It just hangs on a blank screen. One of the reboots started scandisk. Here is the output from it: Microsoft...

Dual Boot?
Hello, I'm new here. I know there are one billion threads about this, but none answer the question I have. I have the following setup Western Digital 40GB HDD primary (hd0,0) - Windows Western Digial 500 GB (Partioned D,E,F) (sda, externel) G: 20GB is where I want to install Linux (suse) My question: Can't I use auto configuration for the boot loader (want to keep my xp as well being a newbie and all). Or is manual the only way? Quicken2k -- Quicken2k ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Quicken2k;1941273 Wrote: >...

Dual Booting
OK, newb alert. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I want to be able to dual boot my PC with XP and Linux, but I don't wanna screw something up doing something I THINK I know how to do. First, I know I need to back up everything. OK, fine, but what is the best, most efficient way to do this? Burn EVERYTHING on a DVD? Use Norton Ghost? There has to be an easier way right? Second, partitions, partitions, partitions...Do I need to partition AFTER I reformat? Or, before? I know I'm missing some stuff to ask, but I trust you pros will mention something I've forgotten...

dual boot!
Hello members, I need one help in installing openSUSE 11.1 for x86 (32 Bit PC) in my laptop (dell inspiron 6400 Core Duo-Proc. T7200, RAM 2gb). I already installed Vista home premium service pack 1. I need to do dual boot. I made my vista computer to burn a DVD openSUSE 11.1 successfully according to the instruction given in the suse website using Infrarecorder. Hard disk: 160gb, (5400 rpm) SATA hard drive. Partition details:I have 4 paritions - C(53.7gb), D(42.9gb), E(31.3gb), F(21gb) and I (dvd rw drive). all NTFS. I want to install SUSE in 'D', which is totally free. I b...

for those not dual booting
i'm curious about the reasons everyone else switched to pure suse. i switched because my ex destroyed the entire windows side of my dual boot, including the drivers, how i don't know. went on a training excercise for work for a week left the computer with her and come back to find the entire windows partition destroyed. -- entreatos ------------------------------------------------------------------------ seems like a good reason to breakup. -- RichardET ------------------------------------------------------------------------ RichardET's Profile: http:...

How to Dual Boot
I Need instructions on how to create a dual boot with Windows 7 already installed ... -- Xande ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 'Dual boot: openSUSE 11.2 installation with Windows 7 - openSUSE Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/yfo5k5m) -- please_try_again ------------------------------------------------------------------------ please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877 View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=427729 The easiest way is to have two hard drive...

Dual Booting
I have a SCSI 15k Disc with Win XP Pro installed and a standard IDE disc with W2K installed. Both installed separately on the same computer at different times whilst the other hard disc was out of the machine. Is it possible to create a dual boot scenario with these two discs without having to re-install on or the other system. Thanks and regards Colin I believe I have read where others have done this. I do not use either of these OSs, but can point you to some very knowledgeable people. I would suggest you repost here. news://newdebian.homeip.net/partboot.bootitng BING i...

Web resources about - Dual boot - Linux/Linux - grc.techtalk.linux

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . The development of ...

Ubuntu Linux 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' Alpha 1 available now
... system, it is nowhere close to being perfect. Actually, for 2015, I am comfortable saying Ubuntu was the superior operating system . The Linux-based ...

Third time is no charm for failed Linux ransomware creators
... that hard truth, to the amusement of security researchers. For the past several months, a group of cybercriminals have been infecting Linux ...

How to try Ubuntu Linux without risking your Mac
... system on your Mac? Ever since Apple started using Intel chips in their computers, it’s been super simple to run Windows and even popular Linux ...

Hackers get Linux running on a PlayStation 4
Hackers get Linux running on a PlayStation 4

Debian Linux Founder, Open Source Leader Ian Murdock Dies
Former Sun Microsystems, Salesforce and Linux Foundation exec found dead under mysterious circumstances in San Francisco at 42.

Now that the PS4 has been hacked to run Linux, SteamOS is an inevitability
... week's Chaos Communication Congress event in Germany, console hacking team "fail0verflow" showed off their most recent project: a PS4 Linux ...