Debian Woody, two problems: can't get kppp to work and can't su in X

Hello,

I have Debian Woody installed on this Dell i8100 laptop via Libranet 2.0. I
have two hurdles left that I can't seem to overcome.

1. I can't get kppp to work. I always get the following error message:

Apr 27 19:38:48 libranet pppd[622]: The remote system is required to
authenticate itself
Apr 27 19:38:48 libranet pppd[622]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret
(password) for it to use to do so.
Apr 27 19:38:48 libranet pppd[622]: (None of the available passwords would
let it use an IP address.)

Exit Status From 'man pppd':
1      An immediately fatal error of some kind occurred, such as an
essential  system  call
              failing, or running out of virtual memory.

The console command 'pon <provider>' works fine. Also the Libranet ppp
dialer works fine too.

2. I can't su while in X. I can su from console (text) mode just fine.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Ciao,
CRH 8^)>

In article <b8hud5$2otr$1@news.grc.com>,
commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com says...
> Hello,
>
> I have Debian Woody installed on this Dell i8100 laptop via Libranet 2.0. I
> have two hurdles left that I can't seem to overcome.
>
> 1. I can't get kppp to work. I always get the following error message:

Sorry, don't do dial-up

> 2. I can't su while in X. I can su from console (text) mode just fine.

You mean if you open a terminal in x and try to su, you cant ?
Whats the error ?
( check /var/log/auth.log )

--
Bloated Elvis
0

> Hello,
>
> I have Debian Woody installed on this Dell i8100 laptop via
> Libranet 2.0. I have two hurdles left that I can't seem to
> overcome.
>
> 1. I can't get kppp to work. I always get the following error
> message:
>
> Apr 27 19:38:48 libranet pppd[622]: The remote system is
> required to authenticate itself
> Apr 27 19:38:48 libranet pppd[622]: but I couldn't find any
> suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
> Apr 27 19:38:48 libranet pppd[622]: (None of the available
> passwords would let it use an IP address.)
>
> Exit Status From 'man pppd':
> 1      An immediately fatal error of some kind occurred, such as
> an essential  system  call
>               failing, or running out of virtual memory.
>
> The console command 'pon <provider>' works fine. Also the
> Libranet ppp dialer works fine too.

In /etc/ppp/options, try changing the line that contains only auth
to noauth .  That worked for me, when I was using Linux.

> 2. I can't su while in X. I can su from console (text) mode just
> fine.

Do you mean that you can't su to root in an Xterm/Konsole term?  Or
do you mean that once you su, you can't run X apps as root?  If
it's the former, I have no clue what the problem may be.  If it's
the latter, this is a security feature of X.  There is a way around
it, but hell if I can remember what it is.  In the meantime, I'd
suggest using kdesu, or something similar, to run X apps as an
elevated user.

--
"I Thank 'The Trackers' for their stupidity in tracking the hackers
because I could have never done it alone."

Tracker, aka Debbie  <3E90D2BD.ADB9371@yahoo.com>
0
BlueJAMC
4/28/2003 2:18:30 AM
In news:MPG.19165330e59e4883989d88@news.grc.com,
bloated elvis <thel8elvis@hotmail.com> Combobulated:
> In article <b8hud5$2otr$1@news.grc.com>,
> commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com says...

[...]

>> 2. I can't su while in X. I can su from console (text) mode just fine.
>>
> You mean if you open a terminal in x and try to su, you cant ?
> Whats the error ?
> ( check /var/log/auth.log )

Thanks for your quick reply BE.

Here is some info from /var/log/auth.log:

#the following line is when I log in at console, not X
Apr 27 15:39:59 libranet PAM_unix[484]: (su) session opened for user root by
craig(uid=1000)
Apr 27 15:41:27 libranet su[507]: + tty1 craig-root

#the following line is an su session while at console, not X
Apr 27 15:41:27 libranet PAM_unix[507]: (su) session opened for user root by
craig(uid=1000)
Apr 27 15:43:24 libranet su[767]: + tty1 craig-root
Apr 27 15:43:24 libranet PAM_unix[767]: (su) session opened for user root by
craig(uid=1000)

#the following lines are after opening a console in X and trying to su
Apr 27 15:49:56 libranet PAM_unix[1008]: authentication failure;
(uid=1000) -> root for su service
Apr 27 15:49:58 libranet su[1008]: pam_authenticate: Authentication failure
Apr 27 15:49:58 libranet su[1008]: - pts/2 craig-root
#the above looks like a pam problem. I've pasted /etc/pam.d/su below

#below is after logging out of X and going back to console mode
Apr 27 15:51:49 libranet su[1024]: + tty1 craig-root
1Apr 27 15:51:49 libranet PAM_unix[1024]: (su) session opened for user root
by craig(uid=1000)

Contents of /etc/pam.d/su. This is the stock Libranet supplied file.

#
# The PAM configuration file for the Shadow `su' service
#

# Uncomment this to force users to be a member of group root
# before than can use `su'. You can also add "group=foo" to
# to the end of this line if you want to use a group other
# than the default "root".
# (Replaces the `SU_WHEEL_ONLY' option from login.defs)
# auth       required   pam_wheel.so

# Uncomment this if you want wheel members to be able to
# su without a password.
# auth       sufficient pam_wheel.so trust

# Uncomment this if you want members of a specific group to not
# be allowed to use su at all.
# auth       required   pam_wheel.so deny group=nosu

# This allows root to su without passwords (normal operation)
auth       sufficient pam_rootok.so

# Uncomment and edit /etc/security/time.conf if you need to set
# time restrainst on su usage.
# (Replaces the `PORTTIME_CHECKS_ENAB' option from login.defs
# as well as /etc/porttime)
# account    requisite  pam_time.so

# The standard Unix authentication modules, used with
# NIS (man nsswitch) as well as normal /etc/passwd and
# /etc/shadow entries.
auth       required   pam_unix.so
account    required   pam_unix.so
session    required   pam_unix.so

# Sets up user limits, please uncomment and read /etc/security/limits.conf
# to enable this functionality.
# (Replaces the use of /etc/limits in old login)
# session    required   pam_limits.so

--
Ciao,
CRH 8^)>
> "CRH" <commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com> wrote in
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have Debian Woody installed on this Dell i8100 laptop via
>> Libranet 2.0. I have two hurdles left that I can't seem to
>> overcome.
>>
>> 1. I can't get kppp to work. I always get the following error
>> message:
>>
>> Apr 27 19:38:48 libranet pppd[622]: The remote system is
>> required to authenticate itself
>> Apr 27 19:38:48 libranet pppd[622]: but I couldn't find any
>> suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
>> Apr 27 19:38:48 libranet pppd[622]: (None of the available
>> passwords would let it use an IP address.)
>>
>> Exit Status From 'man pppd':
>> 1      An immediately fatal error of some kind occurred, such as
>> an essential  system  call
>>               failing, or running out of virtual memory.
>>
>> The console command 'pon <provider>' works fine. Also the
>> Libranet ppp dialer works fine too.
>
> In /etc/ppp/options, try changing the line that contains only auth
> to noauth .  That worked for me, when I was using Linux.

I'll check it out.

>> 2. I can't su while in X. I can su from console (text) mode just
>> fine.
>
> Do you mean that you can't su to root in an Xterm/Konsole term?  Or
> do you mean that once you su, you can't run X apps as root?  If
> it's the former, I have no clue what the problem may be.  If it's
> the latter, this is a security feature of X.  There is a way around
> it, but hell if I can remember what it is.  In the meantime, I'd
> suggest using kdesu, or something similar, to run X apps as an
> elevated user.

Might you be thinking about ~/.Xauthority file? My problem is the former.
kdesu doesn't work either. For some reason I'm not allowed to do *anything*
as root!
0
CRH
4/28/2003 2:36:55 AM
In article <b8i3u0$2ulh$1@news.grc.com>,
commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com says...
> In news:MPG.19165330e59e4883989d88@news.grc.com,
> bloated elvis <thel8elvis@hotmail.com> Combobulated:
> > In article <b8hud5$2otr$1@news.grc.com>,
> > commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com says...
>
> [...]
>
> >> 2. I can't su while in X. I can su from console (text) mode just fine.
<>

Non-answer: Beats me. :-(

I'll let you know if I come up with anything ( if no one else provides
the answer first ).

--
Bloated Elvis
0
bloated elvis <thel8elvis@hotmail.com> Combobulated:
> In article <b8i3u0$2ulh$1@news.grc.com>,
> commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com says...
>> In news:MPG.19165330e59e4883989d88@news.grc.com,
>> bloated elvis <thel8elvis@hotmail.com> Combobulated:
>>> In article <b8hud5$2otr$1@news.grc.com>,
>>> commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com says...
>>
>> [...]
>
> Non-answer: Beats me. :-(
>
> I'll let you know if I come up with anything ( if no one else provides
> the answer first ).

Aint Linux just wonderful!!!........... Grrrr............ I was also just
noticing that this Libranet install has no wheel group. Hmmm....
0
CRH
4/28/2003 3:56:06 AM
In article <b8i8oo$240$1@news.grc.com>, commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com
<>

> Aint Linux just wonderful!!!........... Grrrr............ I was also just
> noticing that this Libranet install has no wheel group. Hmmm....

Debian doesn't use wheel group by default, if you are thinking that's
part of the problem.

My /pam.d/su looks just like yours, but mine works. :-)

--
Bloated Elvis
0
"CRH" <commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com> wrote in

*snip*
> Might you be thinking about ~/.Xauthority file?

That's quite possible, but I'm not sure.

> My problem is the former. kdesu doesn't work either. For some
> reason I'm not allowed to do *anything* as root!

Don't know then...sorry.  :/

--
"I Thank 'The Trackers' for their stupidity in tracking the
hackers because I could have never done it alone."

Tracker, aka Debbie  <3E90D2BD.ADB9371@yahoo.com>
0
BlueJAMC
4/28/2003 4:13:55 AM
In news:Xns936AEC5921FBFbluejamc@204.1.226.226,
BlueJAMC <idontwantemail@127.0.0.1> Combobulated:
> "CRH" <commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com> wrote in
>
> *snip*
>> Might you be thinking about ~/.Xauthority file?
>
> That's quite possible, but I'm not sure.
>
>> My problem is the former. kdesu doesn't work either. For some
>> reason I'm not allowed to do *anything* as root!
>
> Don't know then...sorry.  :/

Thanks to you both. I'll keep this install around a couple more days waiting
for answers. I also have this out in a couple of Debian news groups. If I
don't get an answer in a couple of days this Libranet install is gonna get
wiped!

Maybe try the official Woody distro again.............. I know I could *very
easily* get Red Hat or Mandrake installed and running with minimal fuss but
I'm done with the commercial distros for good!

Lunar looks real good but I can't even get it installed!
0
CRH
4/28/2003 4:46:34 AM
On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:46:34 -0500, CRH wrote:

> Maybe try the official Woody distro again.............. I know I could
> *very easily* get Red Hat or Mandrake installed and running with minimal
> fuss but I'm done with the commercial distros for good!

WHY?

You're not making much sense.
I bet I'm going to start a war in here by saying this, but
Debian is *NOT* better than RedHat or Mandrake for example.
It's the same..if not worse.
And yes I did try it.

Quick example of why I think it's worse:

Installed Mandrake, and I was able to dial-out or run
X apps as root without a problem, you can't.

Anyway, since you've mentioned that you're done with "commercial"
distros (although they don't seem very commercial to me) I'd just
like to say that I've noticed that companies like MandrakeSoft
or Redhat pay much more attention to detail. Visually as well as
when it come to the configuration of various programs.

Anyway sorry I couldn't help you, I remeber I had the exact same problem
with Debian among others. Try knoppix, it's actually not that bad.

--
Mike  -(C)(R)(TM) Patent Pending
0
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:46:34 -0500, CRH wrote:
>

> > Maybe try the official Woody distro again.............. I know I could
> > *very easily* get Red Hat or Mandrake installed and running with minimal
> > fuss but I'm done with the commercial distros for good!
>
> WHY?
>
> You're not making much sense.
> I bet I'm going to start a war in here by saying this,

No, but it wasn't particularly convincing or enlightening as far as
reasons go.

> Anyway, since you've mentioned that you're done with "commercial"
> distros (although they don't seem very commercial to me) I'd just
> like to say that I've noticed that companies like MandrakeSoft
> or Redhat pay much more attention to detail. Visually as well as
> when it come to the configuration of various programs.

For example ?

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
Where is the RH or mandrake equivalent.

> Anyway sorry I couldn't help you, I remeber I had the exact same problem
> with Debian among others.

What others ? And he is using a Libranet, which is debian based, not
debian.
<>

--
Bloated Elvis
0
On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:59:35 -0400, bloated elvis wrote:

Hi,

> In article <b8i8oo$240$1@news.grc.com>, commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com
> <>
>>
>> Aint Linux just wonderful!!!........... Grrrr............ I was also just
>> noticing that this Libranet install has no wheel group. Hmmm....
>>
> Debian doesn't use wheel group by default, if you are thinking that's
> part of the problem.
>
> My /pam.d/su looks just like yours, but mine works. :-)

It's not anything dumb like having an incorrect keyboard map in the X
config file so that keys are not generating the correct characters (keymap
is different for the plain consoles)?
0
Steve
4/28/2003 6:34:39 PM
bloated elvis wrote:

> In article <pan.2003.04.28.05.07.57.859433@yahoo.com>,

[...]

>> > Maybe try the official Woody distro again.............. I know I could
>> > *very easily* get Red Hat or Mandrake installed and running with
>> > minimal fuss but I'm done with the commercial distros for good!
>>
>> WHY?

[...]

>> Anyway, since you've mentioned that you're done with "commercial"
>> distros (although they don't seem very commercial to me) I'd just
>> like to say that I've noticed that companies like MandrakeSoft
>> or Redhat pay much more attention to detail. Visually as well as
>> when it come to the configuration of various programs.
>
> For example ?
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
> Where is the RH or mandrake equivalent.
>
>> Anyway sorry I couldn't help you, I remeber I had the exact same problem
>> with Debian among others.
>
> What others ? And he is using a Libranet, which is debian based, not
> debian.
> <>

Well, it looks like B.E. basically answered your question, Michal, as far as
why I've chosen to go with a Debian. It's the spirit of Free Software that
I'm interested in more that the nuts and bolts and bells and whistles of
any given distro.

You guys check my headers!!!! Many thanks to BlueJAMC for his "In
/etc/ppp/options, try changing the line that contains only auth
to noauth " advice. I was leery of doing that after reading the following
from that file:

# Require the peer to authenticate itself before allowing network
# packets to be sent or received.
# Please do not disable this setting. It is expected to be standard in
# future releases of pppd. Use the call option (see manpage) to disable
# authentication for specific peers.
#auth

As you can see I have commented out 'auth' and kppp works just fine now,
although I have to troubleshoot why my connection is way slow...... but
it's all an ongoing process. I think I need to somehow throw in an "AZT
force V.90" type of deal to pppd.

Still can't su while in X but I've been using tty2 (Ctrl+Alt+F2) for now for
root stuff.

--
Ciao,
CRH
Steve wrote:

[....]

> It's not anything dumb like having an incorrect keyboard map in the X
> config file so that keys are not generating the correct characters (keymap
> is different for the plain consoles)?

I'll check it out. What should I be looking for? Can you elaborate?

Are you the same Steve that used to hang out here on grc by the handle of
"Steve the Linux Geek"?

--
Ciao,
CRH

*snip*
> You guys check my headers!!!!

Pan is better.  ;)

> Many thanks to BlueJAMC for his "In /etc/ppp/options, try
> changing the line that contains only auth to noauth " advice.

No problem.  I ran into the same problem that you were having, and
know how frustrating modem problems can be with Linux.  (It was
ultimately why I switched back to Windows.)  With my DSL coming
sometime this week, though, who knows what OS I'll be using by next
week...

Whee!

--
"I Thank 'The Trackers' for their stupidity in tracking the
hackers because I could have never done it alone."

Tracker, aka Debbie  <3E90D2BD.ADB9371@yahoo.com>
0
BlueJAMC
4/29/2003 12:20:47 AM
BlueJAMC wrote:

> Craig Hempenius <commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com> wrote in
>
> *snip*
>> You guys check my headers!!!!
>
> Pan is better.  ;)

No argument there. Knode has no proper kill file, just scoring and one would
have to then delete by hand any spam or Bozos which are of a certain low
score!

When I figure out how to compile a recent version of Pan "the Debian way"
I'll surely do it. I don't think I can run 0.13.4 which is in Sid since I'd
have to actually 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to Sid for that to work because of
the libc6 conflicts and such.

Maybe someone would have some advice on how to get recent versions of apps
without actually running Sid. I'm not against running Sid but I really
don't have the bandwidth on this 56K connection.

[...]

--
Ciao,
CRH

> BlueJAMC wrote:
>
>> Craig Hempenius <commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com> wrote in
>>
>> *snip*
>>> You guys check my headers!!!!
>>
>> Pan is better.  ;)
>
> No argument there. Knode has no proper kill file, just scoring
> and one would have to then delete by hand any spam or Bozos
> which are of a certain low score!

Yup...knode is icky!

> When I figure out how to compile a recent version of Pan "the
> Debian way" I'll surely do it. I don't think I can run 0.13.4
> which is in Sid since I'd have to actually 'apt-get
> dist-upgrade' to Sid for that to work because of the libc6
> conflicts and such.

Yep, you're quite right.  You *may* be able to compile Pan yourself
on Woody, but if I recall, you'd have to do so without spell
checking (although I know Charles was going to change the way
spell-checking was done with Pan, so that may no longer be an
issue).

> Maybe someone would have some advice on how to get recent
> versions of apps without actually running Sid. I'm not against
> running Sid but I really don't have the bandwidth on this 56K
> connection.

Try

http://www.apt-get.org/search.php?query=pan&submit=&arch%5B%5D=i386

The second site appears to have backported Pan .13.4 to Woody.
I've never used that apt source myself, so I can't speak to how
well it'll work, but I imagine it'll be fairly straight-forward.

--
"I Thank 'The Trackers' for their stupidity in tracking the hackers
because I could have never done it alone."

Tracker, aka Debbie  <3E90D2BD.ADB9371@yahoo.com>
0
BlueJAMC
4/29/2003 1:02:40 AM
In article <b8ki6l$2f7t$1@news.grc.com>,
commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com says...
<>

> Maybe someone would have some advice on how to get recent versions of apps
> without actually running Sid. I'm not against running Sid but I really
> don't have the bandwidth on this 56K connection.

You can set your pin priority on different versions and mix and match.
I usually run a combo of testing&unstable.
http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-apt-
install
(If you mix flavors of Debian, testing into stable or unstable into
stable, you will likely to pull in many key packages unintentionally
from testing or unstable which may be buggy. So be warned.)

--
Bloated Elvis
0
BlueJAMC wrote:

> Craig Hempenius <commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com> wrote in

[...]

> Try
>
> http://www.apt-get.org/search.php?query=pan&submit=&arch%5B%5D=i386
>
> The second site appears to have backported Pan .13.4 to Woody.
> I've never used that apt source myself, so I can't speak to how
> well it'll work, but I imagine it'll be fairly straight-forward.

Cool. I'm looking into an unofficial repository for Xfree86 4.3 also. You
know it looks like Debian really does have *tons* of active developers
around.

--
Ciao,
CRH
bloated elvis wrote:

> In article <b8ki6l$2f7t$1@news.grc.com>,
> commanderdata@_NOT_myrealbox.com says...

[...]

> (If you mix flavors of Debian, testing into stable or unstable into
> stable, you will likely to pull in many key packages unintentionally
> from testing or unstable which may be buggy. So be warned.)

Right........ I've been reading about this "pinning" business. Don't worry,
It's my box and I can break it if I want to. Besides, you'll help me fix it
;^).

This idea of "unstable" appears to me as somewhat of a misnomer. Much of
what shows up there is to fix bugs or security holes from the original
authors anyway. Many of the Debian security fixes for Woody are already
fixed in Sid.

--
Ciao,
CRH
On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:23:11 -0400, bloated elvis wrote:

> For example ?

There's no way I'm even going to try and convince a Debian fanatic that
Debian is not the best distro around.
We both know it won't work.
Just like you trying to convince me that Debian is the best distro around
woudn't work.

--
Mike  -(C)(R)(TM) Patent Pending
0
iwantuniqueemail@yahoo.com says...
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:23:11 -0400, bloated elvis wrote:
>

> > For example ?
>
> There's no way I'm even going to try and convince a Debian fanatic that
> Debian is not the best distro around.

I didn't ask you to.

> We both know it won't work.

Yep.

> Just like you trying to convince me that Debian is the best distro around
> woudn't work.

Yep to that, too.

I just figured since you said

"I've noticed that companies like MandrakeSoft or Redhat pay much more
attention to detail. Visually as well as when it come to the
configuration of various programs."

that you could perhaps tell me what some of the visual and configuration
details are that debian is lacking.

--
Bloated Elvis
0
On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:13:14 -0500, Craig Hempenius wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
> [....]
>
>> It's not anything dumb like having an incorrect keyboard map in the X
>> config file so that keys are not generating the correct characters (keymap
>> is different for the plain consoles)?
>
> I'll check it out. What should I be looking for? Can you elaborate?

A keyboard map indicates to the system what character to generate for a
particular type of keyboard or more usually, a keyboard for different
countries. Eg. US keyboard - shift3 = #, UK keyboard = �  and US/UK Q is a
Z key on a German keyboard if I remember correctly.

If you password uses such characters, if they keyboard map under X is
wrong then you could be typing the wrong password (The keymap X uses is
defined in the XF86Config(-4) config file - whereas the plain console
keymap is defined seperately.

> Are you the same Steve that used to hang out here on grc by the handle of
> "Steve the Linux Geek"?

Could be....
0
Steve
4/29/2003 7:20:54 PM
Steve wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:13:14 -0500, Craig Hempenius wrote:

[....]

>> I'll check it out. What should I be looking for? Can you elaborate?
>>

> A keyboard map indicates to the system what character to generate for a
> particular type of keyboard or more usually, a keyboard for different
> countries. Eg. US keyboard - shift3 = #, UK keyboard = �  and US/UK Q is a
> Z key on a German keyboard if I remember correctly.
>
> If you password uses such characters, if they keyboard map under X is
> wrong then you could be typing the wrong password (The keymap X uses is
> defined in the XF86Config(-4) config file - whereas the plain console
> keymap is defined seperately.

Maybe I'll try a simpler password and see what happens.

>> Are you the same Steve that used to hang out here on grc by the handle of
>> "Steve the Linux Geek"?
>
> Could be....

......More Geeks around here nowadays ;^).

Seems to be OK.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Default Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

--
Ciao,
CRH
CRH wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:13:14 -0500, Craig Hempenius wrote:

[...]

>> If you password uses such characters, if they keyboard map under X is
>> wrong then you could be typing the wrong password (The keymap X uses is
>> defined in the XF86Config(-4) config file - whereas the plain console
>> keymap is defined separately.
>
> Maybe I'll try a simpler password and see what happens.

Well now. This is interesting. I changed my root password to something "less
complicated" and *I can now su while in X*. Apparently it was because I had
a password that required the CapsLock key to be on. Apparently X did not
like that much but it worked fine at the console. I set that root password
during the install.

Just an interesting caveat about all this. I haven't seen one single reply
to my post on the Debian news groups.

news.grc.com ROCKS!!!

--
Ciao,
CRH

Can't get it to work. Can't get help.
Name: Tony Clarke Email: minionataondotat Product: Thunderbird Summary: Can't get it to work. Can't get help. Comments: Installed T'bird. Had to change defunct server that T'bird selected by default. Kept asking for passwords associated with previous email (Outlook Express ), when passwords entered then got error messages saying aon responded with 're-authentification failure'. Searched your knowledge base & help forums to no avail. Found them very user-unfriendly & ended up more confused than before. Would like to try T'bird, but I think ...

Can't get around this problem, Can't load
install_driver(Oracle) failed: Can't load '/home/morry/src/pcdesign,v14.x/lib/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so' for module DBD::Oracle: ld.so.1: /usr/dist/share/perl5,v5.6.1/5bin.sun4/perl: fatal: relocation error: file /home/morry/src/pcdesign,v14.x/lib/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so: symbol Perl_no_modify: referenced symbol not found at /usr/dist/share/perl5,v5.6.1/lib/sun4-solaris/DynaLoader.pm line 206, <BOM> line 5362. at (eval 1) line 3 Compilation failed in require at (eval 1) line 3, <BOM> line 536...

Desperate!!!! -- can't get DNN4 with sqlexpress2005 to work on winxp --- can't connect to DB!!!!!
HELP!!!!! HELP!!!!I followed the install guide for DNN4 (install version)...but it doesn't work with SQL 2005 express on Win XP...i have tried everything!! below is the error message and the connection strings...HELP!!!   Error Installing DotNetNukeCurrent Assembly Version: 04.00.00ERROR: Could not connect to database specified in connectionString for SqlDataProviderSystem.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Unable to open the physical file "C:\dotnetnuke\App_Data\dotnetnuke.mdf". Operating system error 5: "5(Access is denied.)". An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\dotne...

update fails, can't get out of it and now can't get my email
Name: martha Email: mjhartleyatchampmaildotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: update fails, can't get out of it and now can't get my email Comments: The directions about bugging aren't helpful to me because I don't know what you're talking about. You offered an update, I tried it, now it is in an endless loop of trying to install, failing, and trying again. It is very frustrating because I can't even get into my old email files to get addresses, photos, etc. I have turned off my firewall and have rebooted the computer, per some of the suggestions in the...

can't get any support and can't open firefox
Name: Jacquelyn Flora Email: jacquelynfloraatmacdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: can't get any support and can't open firefox Comments: I am so completely frustrated since I have been trying to resolve this issue for weeks. I cannot open firefox at all ever since I upgraded (big mistake) to 3.0.5 and then 3.0.6. Your support site isn't worth anything because it doesn't answer any of the questions. I am so frustrated that I am ready to give up. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_4_11; en) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like...

Can't get through init 3 from init 5 and can't get through init 5 from init 3.
I tried opensuse 12.1 Gm today. Installation was perfect with xfce 4.8 until I tried installing the nvidia driver. In runlevel 5 as superuser I tried to shift to runlevel 3 and was welcome with a black screen, I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to reboot. During the reboot I used runlevel 3 and I was able to install the nvidia driver. After the nvidia driver installation I tried to shift to runlevel 5 and there, I was welcome with a black screen with a stationary blinking x cursor. I rebooted once again wiith runlevel 5 to get the gui. Any one had seen this happened? This installation is...

I can't seem to get a skin to work in 3.0.13 that worked fine in 2.1.2. I know I'm doing *something* wrong, but after two weeks of trying, I'm stumped...
Yiikes.  Back again.  I am having the strangest things happen with my skins now.  Images specified in a css file no longer show up.  When I enter a specific path into my ascx file (assuming the skin folder as the root directory), and upload the skin, to me, it appears to not be parsing at all.  When I 'Apply' the skin, any of my skins, I get nothing.  If I add the above image file to the ascx file, upload, parse and apply, I get an 'x' bad image, and when I click properties, the location of the image file is stating it is in the dotnetnuke/ rooot folder....

Can't base report on stored procedure--'Can't create Datawindow'
I installed IM65 today to give it a try. I made a db config to our local ASE 11.9.2 engine via Sybase' odbc driver that came with 11.9.2. I start a new report, tell it to be tabular and to get data from a SP. It asks which SP and I tell it. The result is an odbc error: Cannot create DataWindow Intersolv SQL ODBC driver: Incorrect syntax near '='. 1 execute dbo.sp_si_addressbest_;0 RETURN_VALUE = :RETURN_VALUE' I can execute the SP fine from SQL Advantage or from Crytal Reports. Thanks. -- Frank Burleigh Indiana University School of Law Bloomi...

Installation 'Sybase DataWindow PS' printer on W98 doesn't work (so PDF export can't work either)
I have a problem with export DataWindow content to PDF on W98 systems. (I don't have any problem with PDF export on other systems like as WINNT, W2K, WXP). I found out that the problem is in the Sybase DataWindow PS printer. It looks like installed but it DOESN'T WORK on W98. When I try print something on this printer then no PostScript file is created. So I tried manual installation of it but it occurs an error during manual installation (I used description of instalation from Bruce Armstrong). The error said that printer driver (PSCRIPT.DLL) can't be loaded. I use...

Firefox won't load; can't get it to work!
Name: Robbie Email: torocityatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox won't load; can't get it to work! Comments: I'm running Windows 7, and I can't get Firefox 3.6 to work. I get the following message when I try to run it: We're sorry. Firefox had a problem and crashed. We'll try to restore your tabs and windows when it restarts. To help us diagnose and fix the problem, you can send us a crash report. I've tried to reinstall, to run in Safe Mode, and to do the dozens of things suggested on the Internet, but I can't run Firefo...

Web resources about - Debian Woody, two problems: can't get kppp to work and can't su in X - grc.techtalk.linux