OCB nonce length

After playing a bit with tthe OCB code, it seems that the nonce length
is fixed at 12 bytes exactly. I wonder if this is what we want for
SQRL, and whether it can be safely adjusted to some other value. For
now, it is fixed in the ae_init function.

-jem

0
John
2/24/2014 4:55:55 AM
grc.sqrl 459 articles. 0 followers. Follow

[for the unabridged version, see John Milburn's post above]

> After playing a bit with the OCB code, it seems that the nonce
> length is fixed at 12 bytes exactly. I wonder if this is what
> we want for SQRL, and whether it can be safely adjusted to some
> other value. For now, it is fixed in the ae_init function.

Ah. You're a bit ahead of my documentation here, John.

In our application, we won't be using OCB's IV nonce at all.
It'll simply be null.

An IV is only required to protect block ciphers from information
leakage when an observer might be able to observe the cipher
mode operate with the SAME KEY over DIFFERENT data. As long as
that can never happen, an initialization vector adds nothing.

As we can see in our application...

https://www.grc.com/sqrl/key-flow.htm

.... in both places where we're using OCB, it's being keyed by
our EnScrypt PBKDF... and THAT function (EnScrypt) is salted
to ensure that a different derived key is generated for OCB
any time the DATA being encrypted is changed.  (The EnScrypt
salt and the encrypted key are always stored together.)

So, I think we're okay!  <g>

Steve.               Working on moving the SQRL project forward.
0
Steve

SQRL Signature Length
Ok, I've been looking this over for a bit now, so I hope I'm not missing something, but I think there has been some confusion over the length of the signature that the Ed29915 algorithm produces. In Steve's docs (https://www.grc.com/sqrl/details.htm under "SQRL Client Parameters") he says this about the sqrlsig parameter: "the value for the sqrlsig parameter is generated by the Ed29915 elliptic curve public key signing cryptosystem. It is initially a 512-bit, 64-byte array...". However, in my understanding of the NaCl docs (http://nacl.cr.yp...

length and bytes::length
Currently, under C<length>, perlfunc reads: Note the I<characters>: if the EXPR is in Unicode, you will get the number of characters, not the number of bytes. To get the length of the internal string in bytes, use C<bytes::length(EXPR)>, see L<bytes>. Note that the internal encoding is variable, and the number of bytes usually meaningless. To get the number of bytes that the string would have when encoded as UTF-8, use C<length(Encoding::encode_utf8(EXPR))>. There was some talk to excise the bytes::* functions from the document...

Content-Length and string.Length
I have httphandler what processes some text and then output it to user. Everything is fine except Content-Length property. I use following coderesponse.AddHeader("Content-Length", resultString.Length.ToString());  But, I experience problems that actually content length user receive is bigger then Length property return. What to do? I need this working till tomorrow morning :( For now I have following workaround: byte[] s = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(resultString); response.AddHeader("Content-Length", s.Length.ToString()); response.BinaryWrite(s);   If your respo...

Length
I am writting a news page for an Intranet site I have got it showing a title picture and the story from the database but I only want to show 1st few lines of the story as I have a bound hyperlink field to send the user to a different page for the full story. How do I or what code do I use to tell it to only load the 1st few lines of text Your answer is here: Creating a Custom DataGridColumn Class Hope this helps, RegardsBilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCTMicrosoft MVP - Telerik MVP You have two options: 1) Show only the first lets say 150 chars using SubString2) Show only the first se...

php-ext-sqrl and php-sqrl
Well, I finally got some time to play with a bit of code! Here's what I'm working on... php-ext-sqrl ------------ source: https://github.com/Novators/php-ext-sqrl PHP Extension that handles ed25519 signature verification and SQRL's (somewhat) unique base64url encoding. Crypto is in c, taken from ed25519-donna. Passes 1024 tests from http://ed25519.cr.yp.to/software.html in about 2.5 seconds on my machine. This would be faster with batch verification, but one-by-one is more representative of actual usage. I'm pretty confident in this part. The base64url en...

String Length for password length testing?
Dear Guys, I am stuck at something really fundamental. I am coding a wee cgi page to change a OpenLDAP password, for Windows users on a Samba Server/LDAP backend. I haven't added any Net::LDAP stuff yet, just testing the basic password form. Would someone be so kind as to offer a simple reason my test doesn't work? Should the le '6', I think so, but it never catches it? Thanks: #!/usr/bin/perl -T use warnings; use strict; use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser); use CGI qw/:standard/; print header, start_html('Change your Windows Password'), ...

How to Fix The length of Html textbox to specified length.
Hi, I have a input Html text box i want that user cannot enter more than 10 characters in that is if he or she has typed 10 characters . He should not be able to type Eleventh character. How can i do that . Plz Help me. RAGHAV MVP ASP/ASP.Net Read My Blog MARK THE POST AS ANSWER IF IT HELPS U. "Success doesn't come to you…you go to it."--Marva Collins "Success does not come to those who wait . . . and it does not wait for anyone to come to it." Anonymous  himake ur html textbox as runat="server" thenin code behind u can set maxlen...

sqrl://
I hate the idea of further polluting the namespace of URL schemes which is already full of non-standard crap like itms:// and ms-help://. If we're building this protocol on top of standard TLS traffic to standard web servers, then we're using https://, and should just be call it what it is. The fact that this particular https:// traffic is in furtherance of a more specific use should be identified elsewhere. This also separates us from dependence on the underlying protocol in case we want to have it work later over some other protocol. On 10/3/2013 2:35 AM, Lee Daniel ...

Package length limits/Component length limits
What limits, if any, exist on the number of components per package and the number of methods per component? (Everything below applies to Java components) We have had 2 separate issues. One involved components that vanished from a package every time we tried to install a component. When we created a second package and installed the new component there -- no problem. In a different case, we have a component that installs, but no methods appear. There is nothing noticeably wrong with any of the method signatures. David Wolf had mentioned that signature length might be an issue,...

Bad arg length for Socket::unpack_sockaddr_un, length is 14 ...
This is a bug report for perl from torsten.foertsch@gmx.net, generated with the help of perlbug 1.28 running under perl v5.6.0. ----------------------------------------------------------------- [Please enter your report here] At 2000-01-27 19:05:03 oloryn@www.mindspring.com reported bug number 20000127.004. I found that bug is still present in perl 5.6.0. To solve it, I believe, line 1010 of ext/Socket/Socket.xs should read: if (sockaddrlen > sizeof(addr)) { instead of if (sockaddrlen != sizeof(addr)) { [Please do not change anything below this line] ...

Why does length of input field in InputQuery depend on length of prompt? [Edit]
When using ok:=InputQuery(s1, s2, s); it turns out that the longer the string s2 the longer the input field for entering text, e.g. using ok:=InputQuery(s1, 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa', s); will produce much longer input field than ok:=InputQuery(s1, 'a', s); Is there any reason for doing it? I do not see it ;( If string s2 is quite long the fileld becomes as long as is the width of the screen, what is really not nice. Is there any way to use old InputQueries like in older versions (e.g. in Delphi XE) where string s2 was displayed above the input field, not on...

Why length of CHAR() nullable is not fixed , length of CHAR() not null is fixed
I test the result of jconn3.jar My test result is: if CHAR(7) null, the length is not fixed, if CHAR(7) not null, the length is 7: ===For jconn3.jar jdbc driver=== [OUTPUT FROM SELECT distinct(region) FROM sampledb.dba.states], the region field is nullable region = 'Canada' region = 'Central' region = 'Eastern' region = 'South' region = 'Western' [OUTPUT FROM SELECT region FROM sampledb.dba.sales_regions], the region field is not null region = 'Canada ' region = 'Central' region = 'Eastern' ...

determine if text length > dw edit control length
Hi folks! I'd like to determine (with a dw expression) if a text within a datawindow column/compute single ine edit field is greater then the number of characters that the field can display. The purpose is to set the font to bold (or add some "..." ad the end) or any trick to warn the user that the field doesn't display the full length of the content. regards, Greg There is a Win API function GetTextExtentPoint32 that can determine the length in pixels of a text string. I have an example on my website http://www.topwizprogramming.com/freecode.html called Gr...

Invalid length for a Base-64 char array
Invalid length for a Base-64 char array I am encrypting and decrypting my querystring. I need a way of checking the querystrings length before I decrypt it. When I mess with the querystring, shorten it for example, my decryption method fails. Can somebody help me with the if statement please to check the length of the urlDecode string??????public static string Decrypt(string inputText)      {          if (!String.IsNullOrEmpty(inputText))          {     ...

Web resources about - OCB nonce length - grc.sqrl

Length - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the International System of Quantities , length is any quantity with dimension distance. In other contexts "length" is the measured dimension ...

Sunrise streaker the latest prankster to go to extreme lengths to get on telly
It's a fine Spring Racing Carnival tradition: interrupting live TV broadcasts by waving like an idiot, bellowing something mates, or ripping ...

CES 2016: GIGABYTE’s Double Length Gaming BRIX
The BRIX mini-PC line from GIGABYTE is an odd internal mashup within the company whereby the server business unit designs it, but the consumer ...

Ars walks the length and breadth of CES so you don’t have to
We walk through CES so you don't have to. Video shot/edited by Nathan Fitch (video link) LAS VEGAS—is CES the world's largest trade show? To ...

"Scientists at Harvard University found that melting glaciers have caused the length of a day to increase ...
"... a Florida police department published photos of nine unidentified, unconscious women on Facebook in an attempt to solicit information. 'We’re ...

Here are the crazy lengths Apple goes to in order to keep the Apple Watch accurate
Apple goes to some extraordinary lengths to keep the Apple Watch accurate to within milliseconds. In an interview with The Telegraph , Kevin ...

‘Batman Vs. Superman’ full-length trailer drops: this looks really stupid, right?
... all agree that this kind of stupidity should not be rewarded? Ben Affleck stopped by Jimmy Kimmel Live last night to debut the new full-length ...

Cologne mayor's 'arm's length' advice to avoid sex attacks draws ridicule
CNN Cologne mayor's 'arm's length' advice to avoid sex attacks draws ridicule CNN Berlin (CNN) Cologne's mayor has come under fire for advising ...

Cologne attacks: Mayor's 'arm's length' advice slammed - CNN.com
The mayor of Cologne, Germany, has come under fire for advising women to stay "an arm's length" from men after alleged sex assaults and muggings ...

Netflix’s ‘The Ranch’ Toys With Sitcom Lighting, Length, And Language – TCA
“We’re doing a very traditional [sitcom] format, with a live audience, but because we're working with Netflix we get to explore” the format, ...