Click...click...click

I was listening today to a photography podcast at:

www.photography.ca/blog

and the host Marko described the loss of the hard drive which
contained a backup of all his images.  He said that one morning he
tried to boot up, and the drive just went "click... click...
click" but never did anything more, and of course wouldn't boot.

Is there a reasonable chance that Spinrite could fix that, or does
that behavior indicate a physical problem with the drive head or
electronics?

0
Peabody
2/15/2012 11:59:43 PM
grc.spinrite 1856 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Peabody wrote:
> I was listening today to a photography podcast at:
>
> www.photography.ca/blog
>
> and the host Marko described the loss of the hard drive which
> contained a backup of all his images.  He said that one morning he
> tried to boot up, and the drive just went "click... click...
> click" but never did anything more, and of course wouldn't boot.
>
> Is there a reasonable chance that Spinrite could fix that, or does
> that behavior indicate a physical problem with the drive head or
> electronics?

That is normally the sound of a dead drive.

AlanD
0
AlanD

click click click
the subject line is a sound that eminates from the harddrive of a laptop (not mine) with xp pro/ntfs unit powers up, unable to access the c drive. same results with a bootable floppy disk. I assume there is nothing else that can be done unless one wants to pay a company to recover the data? "mgwmp" <p.zie@cnn.com> wrote in message news:blv77g$i9q$1@news.grc.com... > the subject line is a sound that eminates from the harddrive of a laptop > (not mine) with xp pro/ntfs > > unit powers up, unable to access the c drive. same results with a bootable >...

button click click click sound!
Ok stupid question time!Could somebody tell me if it is possible to remove the 'click' sound a button makes when you click on it?The image button doesn't do this. Only normal and linkbuttons. (Ok, auto-postback on dropdownlists do this as well!)I'm busy building a internal system using ATLAS which makes for an awesome experience.However the button click sound is giving it my secret away and killing mah magic! It's a client thing, not a server thing... Dont use a standard button, use your own control with onmousedown or some such.... The sounds are determined by t...

That ominous sound... click click click
Hi all, I arrived home this morning, to discover that my backup machine. [An old IBM desktop P1 233Mhz running W98SE] was just sitting there emiting a continuous series of clicks. All rather spooky, as it hadn't even been turned on for three weeks!! Only unplugging it from the wall socket would shut it up. (Plugging it into the mains immediately starts the clicking again.) Needless to say, it will no longer boot and I'm wondering where to start looking for the particular "ghost" in this machine.<g> I took off the side of the tower case and the clicks _s...

left-click + right-click = Next, right-click + left-click = Back
One really addictive feature, and a very natural gesture that Opera supports is the interpretation of a quick left-click + right-click combination to mean "Next". That will either take you to the next page in your history, or to the a page pointed to by a Next link on the page (I think there is a technically better way to put that last bit, but you will understand). Similarly, Opera interprets a quick right-click + left-click to mean Back. This is so natural to me that I find it hard to believe that various IDEs don't support it. I'm always doing it in bot...

Clicks and double-clicks
Hi, is it possible to distinguish between clicks and double-clicks occuring on datagrid rows? If a single row is clicked it should be selected in order to allow various operations like deleting the row, duplicating it, etc. If a row is double-clicked another event handler should be called that transfers the user to a details page. Is there a workaround for this using JavaScript? Thanks in advance, P. Both onclick and ondblclick events will fire when item in the explorer is double clicked therefore you simply need to create 2 separate handlers for each event, selecting...

.click() not same as physical click?
I have an aspx page with an HTML button and an IFrame. The IFrame contains another aspx page (the "child" page), which in turn contains a server button (in addition to some other server controls). When I physically click on the button in the child page, the page is submitted to the server (assuming all validation passed). This is basically the desired behavior, with one modification. The server button on the child page will be hidden, and the HTML button on the main page should be responsible for submitting the child page. Currently, the onclick event of the HTML button on t...

onclient click and on click
hi all,     I want to execute server side code first and then client side.how it is possible?   ie,after saving the record i have to clear the controls(textboxes) in the page. saving ---in server side clearing in ------client side     thanking you   Sweety Why dont you clear controls(Textboxes) after saving in server side code ?Maulik PatelMCTS, Software EngineerDon't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. This will give you point and help readers to know which post solved your issue and make their search easy. ...

Mouse: Left click + right click = middle click
Hey guys, I noticed when I press both left and right mouse button it gets interpreted as middle click. Any chance I can disable this and where? And another question since I created this thread: it seems that Linux resets a "xset m 0 5" command after every reboot. How can I make this permanent? Hope you can help me with these questions. Thank you -- phi7 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ YAST / Hardware / Mouse Model -> Activate 3-Button Emulation enables / disables this functionality. Requires an X restart. ...

How to trap Single Click/ Double Click/Right Click on Web Browser
HI.   I want to do two different opration on Single and Double Click on single link button. On different -2 link button single/double click are woring fine. But I have to use One link Button with two different event (Single Click and Double Click). When I write both events on link button (OnClick/OnDblClick) Only Click Event works not DblClick. Plaes tell me how can I use both Events on single control.   Thanks Hi.. Please check this site: http://www.codeproject.com/cs/miscctrl/MouseEvents.asp To use both events on a single control, try using a switch statement for the con...

disable save button once click to avoid clicking by alt s or mouse click
i have given  3 options to save the record 1. save button click 2. alt s 3. enter now problem is user is clicking alt s and enter button at once, though record is not added twice but page is not get refershed that gives wrong impression to user as i showed the added record in datagrid. how should i block/disabled save button once it clicked. though i had disabled button on server side  Try adding the following line in Page OnPreRender event: C# Code:  SaveButton.Attributes.Add("onclick", "document.getElementById('" + SaveButton.Clie...

click wait click wait
I just stumbled upon what must be a new version of MDC? http://developer.mozilla.org/xpcom/api/nsIObserverService/ Unfortunately these pages seem to be of the "many short" rather than "comprehensive" variety. Specifically the method names are links (followed by a usually uninformative comment) and the method parameters are listed on another page. The result is slowness for developers, since obviously the method name is not enough. I assume these are autogenerated? Has the many short design been chosen or accident? John. Actually those were manually...

How to perform a click or a double click
At the moment i cant use asp.net because we cant afford to be always online. So, im using smart application device. I need to do a double click on a cell of a datagrid, but im not getting there. Can anyone help me? Thx, Marco I'm assuming therefore you are building a .NET compact framework based client app. Try posting your question into their newsgrouip here. It also looks like there's a rich model for the control: see double-click event and DataGrid members. SimonThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights....

No button click when i Click on enter
What can I do to make sure no button gets clicked when I click on the enter key? And also I dont want the button clicked when you click with the the enter key inside a textbox. <SCRIPT for=document event=onkeypress> if (event.keyCode==13) alert("You have entered.") </SCRIPT> you would want to "return false;" here for "nothing" to happen is this on a public site? i find it odd to alter the normal behavior of a browser. this is a very common practice on public sites as well, to safeguard users that think the enter key is what ...

click is an action, but clicking does not work
Greetings, =20 This email is about gmail.com, Google's email website. If you login to a Gmail account you'll see what looks like a link on the far left, under the Gmail logo: Compose Mail. If you click on that link with your mouse it will switch you into composition mode. =20 Using at-spi accessibility, when we dump the "Compose Mail" node and it's direct parent (see below), we see that "Compose Mail" is text inside a <span>, not inside an <a> as expected. I verified this with Firebug. You can also see that at-spi reports that 'clic...

Web resources about - Click...click...click - grc.spinrite

Click 2 Houston - Houston News, Houston, Texas News, Weather, Sports - KPRC Local 2
Visit Click2Houston.com for breaking news in Houston, TX from KPRC. Houston, Texas breaking news, headlines, weather, and sports. The latest ...

Bricks and clicks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
) is a business model by which a company integrates both offline ( bricks ) and online ( clicks ) presences, sometimes with the third extra flips ...

INFOGRAPHIC: Facebook Ad Spending, Click-Through Rates Continue Rising in 3Q
Ad spending on Facebook rose 81 percent in the third quarter of 2014 compared with the year-earlier period, while click-through rates were up ...

Review: TarDisk Pear increases your MacBook’s storage in one-click with an SD card fusion drive
... dragging files to and from the drive. But TarDisk Pear lets you add extra flash storage to your MacBook using the SD card and with 1-click setup ...

Facebook Testing ‘Click for More’ on Videos From Pages?
... for users to discover. Reader Matteo Gamba shared the screenshots below with SocialTimes, in which a video posted by a page contains a “click ...

CleanMyDrive 2 for Mac makes cleaning external drives as easy as one click
... a list of what files it cleans (other than overall file size), so relies on a certain level of trust when prompting users to use the one-click ...

If the The Video Title "Star Wars Wieners" Isn't Click-Bait, I Give Up
Submitted by: (via Crusoe the Celebrity Dachshund ) Tagged: dogs , star wars , weiner , Video , animals Share on Facebook

"We are all Satoshi": Turnbull clicks, Kogan bricks and Bitcoin tricks (Girt by CNET podcast 53)
The Australian Government wants to encourage innovation, Kogan hyperlocates a pop-up store and the creator of bitcoin might finally be revealed. ...

Create royalty-free soundtracks with the click of your mouse
I just made three custom, royalty-free soundtracks using nothing more than a website and my Mac. I’ll be able to use these in any video project ...

Tap My Katamari is coming soon so you can click click click while you poop poop poop
... Legs" Devore wrote about Bandai Namco filing a trademark for Tap My Katamari . Now we have confirmation that it'll be what kids call a "clicker," ...