Trying to understand the basics

Hi,
I'm trying to understand the basics about securing my pc. I have a good
anti-virus updated daily and a good trojan cleaner. I have ZA,  set to high
security, I don't give automatic permission to anything. I've run various
probes and tests from several sites and I am completely stealthed. The thing
that puzzles me, but might be clear to someone in the know is this....I am
connected to a website, so in theory I have an open port at this moment. Can
someone with malicious intent slip into my pc through this open port while I
am browsing just now?
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new to all this.

TIA

Barb
0
BB
8/4/2001 10:57:00 AM
grc.shieldsup 2699 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"BB" <No.Mail@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm trying to understand the basics about securing my pc. I have a
good
> anti-virus updated daily and a good trojan cleaner. I have ZA,  set to
high
> security, I don't give automatic permission to anything. I've run
various
> probes and tests from several sites and I am completely stealthed. The
thing
> that puzzles me, but might be clear to someone in the know is
this....I am
> connected to a website, so in theory I have an open port at this
moment. Can
> someone with malicious intent slip into my pc through this open port
while I
> am browsing just now?

Only by exploiting something like ActiveX.  Here is a site that has a
lot of information about Internet security.

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main-nf.htm

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/info10c.htm

http://www.iseran.com/ActiveX/
--
�
--
On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 11:57:15 +0100, "BB" <No.Mail@no_spam.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm trying to understand the basics about securing my pc. I have a good
>anti-virus updated daily and a good trojan cleaner. I have ZA,  set to high
>security, I don't give automatic permission to anything. I've run various
>probes and tests from several sites and I am completely stealthed. The thing
>that puzzles me, but might be clear to someone in the know is this....I am
>connected to a website, so in theory I have an open port at this moment. Can
>someone with malicious intent slip into my pc through this open port while I
>am browsing just now?
>Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new to all this.

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: It might be possible (barely), but would involve an
incredible deal of effort... It would involve spoofing addresses,
hijacking the session, guessing the TCP/IP sequence (a nearly
impossible task on modern stacks), exploiting a weakness in your
browser (or the OS TCP/IP stack...) Even IF, and that's a very big IF,
someone managed all that, he'd probably be subsequently caught by your
trojan cleaner or ZA. Of course, someone who is knowledgeable enough
to accomplish such a feat might also find a way to disable those
programs.

I can't see anyone going through that much trouble for a home PC. In
fact, it would be a lot easier to attempt "social hacking" through
e-mail, chat or phone call. Attempt to somehow trick you in letting
someone in.
0
Wolf
8/4/2001 1:52:00 PM
Thanks for the explanations and assurances.
I shall now go and read the suggested links, and try to educate myself a
little bit.

Thanks

Barb
0
BB

Understanding the basics of algorithms and basic security applications
Understanding the basics of algorithms and basic security applications. @ Articles -> Encryption May 28 2002 - 20:32 EST gregory_a_e writes: Simply put, this article is a brief overview of algorithms. What they are, how they tie into computers. By no means is this a technical article, nor an obscure tutorial of some sort, so if you're expecting to learn the specifics of cryptography and algorithms, I'm sorry to say you won't find it here. If you do become interested in the subject, I would suggest some reading material that is suitable. Applied Cryptography and Digi...

Trying to understand
Ok, I'm been trying to understand the new ADO.net thing, and it seems pretty simple, as long as your using databound controls.Unfortunatly, I have a lot of pages that I can just ad a grid view to and make the things look right, so I'm trying to understand how to programatically access ADO.net.Below is an example of some of the simplest code I need to convert and any help would be aprreciated.set connectionToDatabase=server.createobject("adodb.connection")connectionToDatabase.connectiontimeout=60connectionToDatabase.open "DSN=ServiceCalls"set rc=server.CreateObject...

Basic understanding
Hi all, trying to get a basic understanding. I have a few home pcs that connect to a wireless router which is in turn attached to a Cable modem and thence the Internet. I am told that the wireless router acts as a hardware firewall. However it fails Leaktest. In fact when I run Leaktest I am not prompted as expected to answer yes or no to any request for permission for access to the Internet (as the documentation suggests I should expect) , but it just goes right ahead and fails the test. Q: Is this expected behaviour, given that I am not running any other software-based...

Trying to understand...
Someone just hit me over 70 times inside 3 minutes on TCP ports over 63700 from 200.192.240.8. I dropped my connection and picked up a new IP, but is there really anything other than an attempt to invade my box that this kind of activity could be? Just trying to get an education... nospam@myaddress.com wrote: > > Someone just hit me over 70 times inside 3 minutes on TCP ports over > 63700 from 200.192.240.8. I dropped my connection and picked up a new > IP, but is there really anything other than an attempt to invade my box > that this kind of activity could be? J...

trying and trying
Name: otto de koningh Email: ottodotdedotkoninghatskynetdotbe Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: trying and trying Comments: what a weird robot !! please refrain from using these horrendous figures i like the motorcycle though shown on the add-ons page i am having trouble because there is an unknown dump on firefox - never encountered this ! your browser is otherwise top of the bill !! from Firefox Setup 1.5.0.3 onwards in May 2006 Firefox has become a true companion ! now with Firefox Setup 3.0 RC1 i have error reports ! how come ? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (...

Trying to understand TStringDynArray
I've been away from programming a while. While coding a simple project, I've come across TStringDynArray. The below code snippet I've entered magically works (I'm using XE4), no errors, no warnings, no hints. In the (distant) past, I recall having to set the length of a dynamic array. That's no longer needed? Am I creating some memory leak with the below code? No need to free up memory? Thanks, Bob Lincoln ================================================== procedure TForm1.btnZipFolderClick(Sender: TObject); var DirToZip: string; ZipLi...

Still trying to understand..
Hey fellow Linux users! Let me introduce myself to all of you, my name is Ben and I'm a recent Suse 11.0 installer/user/novice. Let me start by saying Linux is so amazing. I love the interface and its super stable and quick. I'd choose this over windows anyday! I recently got a little interested in linux about 3 years ago when one of my Compute teachers gave me a Live Knoppix Cd. And I thought it was the coolest thing ever. But I still have a little dificulty understanding how linux works. I mean I read alot of websites and everything but its still a little confusing to me....

Trying to understand Packages
Hi I am trying to make my first package and componet in CB2009 In the Project Manager it like this: AJ_Utils.bpl Build Con..... Requires: rtl.bpi Contains: AjDrives.cpp AjDrives.cpp AjDrives.h AJ_Utils.cpp AJ_Utils.res Shouldn't there be a .bpk ? there is only a AJ_Utils.cbproj in the help it says that the package project file is caled dpk, but in builder it should be bpk right ? and when I look in the AJ_Utils.cpp what is shown below is all there is shouldn't there be something like: USEUNIT("AjDrives.cpp"); USERES(&...

Trying to understand NPS
I am running a Novell SBS 6.0 SP4 server with NDPS running. From the books I have been reading, NDPS printers should show up in the NWADMIN list. I have no printers, I have the broker and manager objects. I can see the printers using the TOOLS -> Public Access NDPS printers under NWADMIN. Is there something I am doing wrong? Just wondering, Ken@rlmrlm.com No, this is correct. Public Access printers are viewed in this fashion. You may be looking for Controlled Access printers which will show up in NWAdmin under the context they are created. <ken@rlmrlm.com> wro...

Trying to understand backup
I'm trying to figure out how a database backup works. Suppose I back up the database and transaction log, and truncate the log. The next day I back up just the log. A couple of days later I want to restore to the second backed-up version. I restore the first backup database and log, then run the engine with '-a' to apply changes from the second log. First, is that the correct procedure? Second, did I really need the first backup log to do that? In other words, if I back up a database and truncate the log, is there anything in the pre-truncate log that I need to rest...

Trying to understand the stylesheet
If we give so many font names in the style sheet, which font is taken into consideration. Could any one explain me what this means. .Default { font-size:12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular; } The font-family declaration is a list of "preferred" fonts, listed in order of preference. If the visitor's computer has Verdana installed, then Verdana will be the font used to render the page. If the visitor's computer does not have Verdana installed but has Arial installed, then Arial will be the font used to render the page. If the visitor's comp...

Trying to do a basic callback

Trying to understand DLL.
Hi all,I have my application in 2.0 in which i have two projects. Project1 and project2. In the bin folder of my project1 im referencing the project2 by using the project2.dll. i dont understand this paritcular points:->whenever i compile the project2, a debug folder is automatically created inside the bin folder of the project2. Inside the debug folder a project2.dll is automatically created.-> whenever i compile the project1, no debug folder is automatically created inside the bin folder of the project1.->So whenever i compile the project1 is aproject1.dll created? If so where is...

Trying to understand FormsAuthentication
First off, I'd like to note what a great resource this site is.  I've enjoyed browsing through it during my endevors of getting a handle on ASP2.0That being said, I'm working on setting up Forms Authentication on my site.  I'm a bit confused though.  Here's my setup:  I have certian parts of this site I'd like to have open to the public, no authentication necessary.  The option to login is always  going to be in my Master page as a custom form I created that authenticates with a sql database (this is functional).  As of right now authentication just redirec...

Web resources about - Trying to understand the basics - grc.shieldsup

Resonate Social For Facebook Helps Advertisers Understand Users’ Motivations
Why do Facebook users make the decisions they make? Resonate wants to help advertisers find out, so the digital marketing outfit launched Resonate ...

Facebook PMD Gigya releases Consumer Insights to better understand user identities
... allows marketers to easily query Gigya’s Identity Storage database and tie identity information with key performance indicators to understand ...

Genius by Rap Genius — Search and understand the meaning of song lyrics, poetry, literature, and news ...
Get Genius by Rap Genius — Search and understand the meaning of song lyrics, poetry, literature, and news on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

All sizes - Understand Abundance & Breath - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Kate Micucci & Tony Thaxton - "Puppets Understand" - YouTube
Subscribe for more Nerdist Presents: http://nerdi.st/subscribe Written and Performed by KATE MICUCCI & TONY THAXTON Watch Duo: http://youtu.be/Tj5RLliHNMQ ...

Scientists continue search to understand Mers
The Mers coronavirus continues to confound scientists. To better understand the disease and determine where it comes from, a new project set ...

Explainer Video of the Day: Author John Green Helps You Understand Boko Haram
... in the news, but the situation in Nigeria with the Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram often gets overlooked and can be difficult to understand. ...

The Aussie rules love affair and one who can't understand it
Football (the AFL variety) and I have always had a tumultuous relationship. I've never really understood its allure, but it's always been there, ...

14 Accounting Terms Everyone In Small Business Needs To Understand
Like any profession, accounting has what seems to be impenetrable jargon to outsiders. But, also like most professions, the jargon is just shorthand ...

Tony Abbott doesn't understand the China challenge
The Australian government's new attitude towards China's foreign policy underestimates that country's determination to change the geopolitical ...