Port 21 FTP Open

Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open.
Should I do something about this?
If so, what .... how do I fix it?

Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall).


0
Bruce
10/7/2005 10:02:16 AM
grc.shieldsup 2699 articles. 0 followers. Follow

28 Replies
637 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 6

"Bruce Fullerton" <znotify@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:di5h39$2gir$1@news.grc.com...
> Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open.
> Should I do something about this?
> If so, what .... how do I fix it?
>
> Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall).

Does the All Services scan also show the same port?

Some home routers have that port open for remote management.

-- 
Robert
GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets
http://www.grc.com/groups/techtalk:124863


0
Robert
10/7/2005 1:49:35 PM
> Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open.
> Should I do something about this?
> If so, what .... how do I fix it?

> Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall).

open a command prompt and run the command

netstat -an|find /I "LISTEN"

and look at the resulting list, if port 21 isn't there
then such a port is probably exposed by your
router

HTH


-- 

* ObiWan

Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/MVP/MVP.mspx
http://italy.mvps.org

DNS "fail-safe" for Windows clients.
http://www.ntcanuck.com

Newsgroups and forums
news://news.ntcanuck.com
http://forums.ntcanuck.com

408+ XP/2000 tweaks and tips
http://www.ntcanuck.com/tq/Tip_Quarry.htm


0
ObiWan
10/7/2005 2:09:59 PM
On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 20:02:16 +1000, Bruce Fullerton wrote:

> Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open.
> Should I do something about this?
> If so, what .... how do I fix it?
> 
> Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall).

Which router, by make and model? Different brands, and models, show
different configurations.

-- 
Norman
~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
0
Norman
10/7/2005 6:30:59 PM
Robert Wycoff wrote:
> "Bruce Fullerton" <znotify@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:di5h39$2gir$1@news.grc.com...
> 
>>Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open.
>>Should I do something about this?
>>If so, what .... how do I fix it?
>>
>>Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall).
> 
> 
> Does the All Services scan also show the same port?
> 
> Some home routers have that port open for remote management.
> 
Yes All Services show port 21 as open.
0
Bruce
10/7/2005 11:13:20 PM
ObiWan wrote:
>>Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open.
>>Should I do something about this?
>>If so, what .... how do I fix it?
> 
> 
>>Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall).
> 
> 
> open a command prompt and run the command
> 
> netstat -an|find /I "LISTEN"
> 
> and look at the resulting list, if port 21 isn't there
> then such a port is probably exposed by your
> router
> 
> HTH
> 
> 
Result is:
TCP  0.0.0.0:135         0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING
TCP  0.0.0.0:445         0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING
TCP  0.0.0.0:2869        0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING
TCP  60.240.236.111:139  0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING
TCP  127.0.0.1:1026      0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING
TCP  127.0.0.1:699       0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING

What does this mean?
0
Bruce
10/7/2005 11:17:48 PM
Norman Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 20:02:16 +1000, Bruce Fullerton wrote:
> 
> 
>>Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open.
>>Should I do something about this?
>>If so, what .... how do I fix it?
>>
>>Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall).
> 
> 
> Which router, by make and model? Different brands, and models, show
> different configurations.
> 
I don't have a router????
0
Bruce
10/7/2005 11:19:08 PM
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 09:19:08 +1000, Bruce wrote:

> Norman Miller wrote:

>> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 20:02:16 +1000, Bruce Fullerton wrote:

>>>Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open.
>>>Should I do something about this?
>>>If so, what .... how do I fix it?
>>>
>>>Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall).

>> Which router, by make and model? Different brands, and models, show
>> different configurations.

> I don't have a router????

Then I would have to say, "Turn off the FTP program." The only way to close
a port is to stop the service which uses the port. You can block access to
a port with a firewall; but that is not the proper way to close the port.

-- 
Norman
~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
0
Norman
10/8/2005 4:57:40 AM
Norman Miller wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 09:19:08 +1000, Bruce wrote:
> Then I would have to say, "Turn off the FTP program." The only way to close
> a port is to stop the service which uses the port. You can block access to
> a port with a firewall; but that is not the proper way to close the port.
> 
The only FTP program I have, that I am aware of, is "Cute FTP Pro". 
Would this be the reason?  Would it leave the port open even if it's not 
running?
0
Bruce
10/8/2005 10:11:38 AM
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 20:11:38 +1000, Bruce <znotify@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Norman Miller wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 09:19:08 +1000, Bruce wrote:
>> Then I would have to say, "Turn off the FTP program." The only way to close
>> a port is to stop the service which uses the port. You can block access to
>> a port with a firewall; but that is not the proper way to close the port.
>> 
>The only FTP program I have, that I am aware of, is "Cute FTP Pro". 
>Would this be the reason?  Would it leave the port open even if it's not 
>running?

Only FTP SERVERS would have port 21 open. FTP CLIENTS don't accept
incoming connections on that port.

Also, I seem to have heard somewhere that the Windows XP firewall
would have port 21 open (and may not let you see that locally). Try
installing a good firewall program.
-- 
78 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what
to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
0
Mark
10/8/2005 2:43:06 PM
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 20:11:38 +1000, Bruce wrote:

> Norman Miller wrote:

>> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 09:19:08 +1000, Bruce wrote:

>> Then I would have to say, "Turn off the FTP program." The only way to close
>> a port is to stop the service which uses the port. You can block access to
>> a port with a firewall; but that is not the proper way to close the port.

> The only FTP program I have, that I am aware of, is "Cute FTP Pro". 
> Would this be the reason?  Would it leave the port open even if it's not 
> running?

I was thinking, like Mark Lloyd, more along the lines of a server. You
should run something like TCPView to see if anything is listening on port
21.

http://www.sysinternals.com/

-- 
Norman
~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
0
Norman
10/8/2005 3:08:45 PM
Mark Lloyd wrote:

> Also, I seem to have heard somewhere that the Windows XP firewall
> would have port 21 open (and may not let you see that locally). Try
> installing a good firewall program.

More FUD. The Windows Firewall does not leave TCP port 21 open in any 
kind of default situation.

Bruce, I don't see your port 21 open from here. In fact your system (at 
the IP address in your headers) appears to be completely "stealthed".

-- 
Robin
0
Robin
10/8/2005 5:41:59 PM
Robin Keir wrote:
> Mark Lloyd wrote:
> 
>> Also, I seem to have heard somewhere that the Windows XP firewall
>> would have port 21 open (and may not let you see that locally). Try
>> installing a good firewall program.
> 
> 
> More FUD. The Windows Firewall does not leave TCP port 21 open in any 
> kind of default situation.
> 
> Bruce, I don't see your port 21 open from here. In fact your system (at 
> the IP address in your headers) appears to be completely "stealthed".
> 
(I have a good firewall program, TrendMicro Security Suite)
1. Shieldsup keeps telling me port 21 is open. I have "Cute FTP Pro" 
software and have been checking out the help which makes a statement the 
"port 20 and 21 must be open".  Would this be the reason?
2. Is there a way to access these port and turn them on/off manually? A 
command line instruction for example?
3. Am I worrying about something that is not realy a problem?
0
Bruce
10/8/2005 8:45:04 PM
Bruce wrote:

> (I have a good firewall program, TrendMicro Security Suite)
> 1. Shieldsup keeps telling me port 21 is open. I have "Cute FTP Pro" 
> software and have been checking out the help which makes a statement the 
> "port 20 and 21 must be open".  Would this be the reason?
> 2. Is there a way to access these port and turn them on/off manually? A 
> command line instruction for example?
> 3. Am I worrying about something that is not realy a problem?

OK, I just probed your port 21 and now *do* see it open. Perhaps before 
you were offline?

1. CuteFTP would have no bearing on your port 21 being seen as open. 
Don't worry about that.

2. You'll have to find out what application on your PC is holding port 
21 open. Download this little program and look for local TCP port 21 and 
see what the accompanying application is.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

3. I would have said no up 'til now, but I do now see that port open. If 
you like, while you're online I can scan some more ports to see if 
there's something else awry.


-- 
Robin
0
Robin
10/8/2005 8:55:42 PM
Norman Miller wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 20:11:38 +1000, Bruce wrote:
> 
> 
>>Norman Miller wrote:
> 
> 
>>>On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 09:19:08 +1000, Bruce wrote:
> 
> 
>>>Then I would have to say, "Turn off the FTP program." The only way to close
>>>a port is to stop the service which uses the port. You can block access to
>>>a port with a firewall; but that is not the proper way to close the port.
> 
> 
>>The only FTP program I have, that I am aware of, is "Cute FTP Pro". 
>>Would this be the reason?  Would it leave the port open even if it's not 
>>running?
> 
> 
> I was thinking, like Mark Lloyd, more along the lines of a server. You
> should run something like TCPView to see if anything is listening on port
> 21.
> 
> http://www.sysinternals.com/
> 
Result of TCPView is:
alg.exe:2544	TCP	Bruce:1072	Bruce:0	LISTENING	
iexplore.exe:3664	UDP	Bruce:1053	*:*		
lsass.exe:744	UDP	Bruce:isakmp	*:*		
lsass.exe:744	UDP	Bruce:4500	*:*		
PcCtlCom.exe:1684	UDP	Bruce:40116	*:*		
svchost.exe:1008	TCP	bruce:netbios-ssn	Bruce:0	LISTENING	
svchost.exe:1008	UDP	Bruce:1027	*:*		
svchost.exe:1008	UDP	bruce:netbios-ns	*:*		
svchost.exe:1008	UDP	bruce:ntp	*:*		
svchost.exe:1008	UDP	bruce:netbios-dgm	*:*		
svchost.exe:1008	UDP	Bruce:1028	*:*		
svchost.exe:1008	UDP	Bruce:ntp	*:*		
svchost.exe:1056	UDP	Bruce:1036	*:*		
svchost.exe:1180	TCP	Bruce:2869	Bruce:0	LISTENING	
svchost.exe:1180	UDP	bruce:1900	*:*		
svchost.exe:1180	UDP	Bruce:1900	*:*		
svchost.exe:972	TCP	Bruce:epmap	Bruce:0	LISTENING	
System:4	TCP	Bruce:microsoft-ds	Bruce:0	LISTENING	
System:4	UDP	Bruce:microsoft-ds	*:*		
thunderbird.exe:3400	TCP	bruce:1052	4.79.142.203:nntp	ESTABLISHED	
thunderbird.exe:3400	TCP	Bruce:1046	localhost:1047	ESTABLISHED	
thunderbird.exe:3400	TCP	Bruce:1047	localhost:1046	ESTABLISHED	
tmproxy.exe:1880	TCP	Bruce:6999	Bruce:0	LISTENING
---
Can't see any ref to port 21?
0
Bruce
10/8/2005 9:11:58 PM
Robin Keir wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> 
> OK, I just probed your port 21 and now *do* see it open. Perhaps before 
> you were offline?
> 
> 1. CuteFTP would have no bearing on your port 21 being seen as open. 
> Don't worry about that.
> 
> 2. You'll have to find out what application on your PC is holding port 
> 21 open. Download this little program and look for local TCP port 21 and 
> see what the accompanying application is.
> 
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
> 
> 3. I would have said no up 'til now, but I do now see that port open. If 
> you like, while you're online I can scan some more ports to see if 
> there's something else awry.
> 
> 
OK to scan.
Ran cports, could not see anything refering to port 21.
First run showed 7 ports as unknown, local port 6999, local add 
127.0.0.1, state Time Wait.
Closed program and rerun, these unknowns dissapeared!
0
Bruce
10/8/2005 9:24:24 PM
Bruce wrote:

> OK to scan.
> Ran cports, could not see anything refering to port 21.
> First run showed 7 ports as unknown, local port 6999, local add 
> 127.0.0.1, state Time Wait.
> Closed program and rerun, these unknowns dissapeared!

I didn't see anything unusual. All of the TCP ports I scanned (about 
1490) were "stealth" apart from port 21. Even though this port was open 
there doesn't appear to be an FTP server running on it. In fact I 
couldn't get any kind of response from it at all -- it closes the 
connection almost immediately.

Port 6999 would be part of your PC-cillin antivirus program (that's 
assuming you are running it).

The "unknown" ports I wouldn't worry about. You just want to look for 
ports in the Listening state that are not listening on 127.0.0.1.

The TCP port 21 is all a bit of a mystery!

-- 
Robin
0
Robin
10/8/2005 9:35:46 PM
Robin Keir wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> 
>> OK to scan.
>> Ran cports, could not see anything refering to port 21.
>> First run showed 7 ports as unknown, local port 6999, local add 
>> 127.0.0.1, state Time Wait.
>> Closed program and rerun, these unknowns dissapeared!
> 
> 
> I didn't see anything unusual. All of the TCP ports I scanned (about 
> 1490) were "stealth" apart from port 21. Even though this port was open 
> there doesn't appear to be an FTP server running on it. In fact I 
> couldn't get any kind of response from it at all -- it closes the 
> connection almost immediately.
> 
> Port 6999 would be part of your PC-cillin antivirus program (that's 
> assuming you are running it).
> 
> The "unknown" ports I wouldn't worry about. You just want to look for 
> ports in the Listening state that are not listening on 127.0.0.1.
> 
> The TCP port 21 is all a bit of a mystery!
> 

Thanks, will keep on running cport from time to time to see if anything 
shows up.
0
Bruce
10/8/2005 9:52:25 PM
Bruce wrote:
> Robin Keir wrote:
> 

>> The TCP port 21 is all a bit of a mystery!
>>
> 
> Thanks, will keep on running cport from time to time to see if anything 
> shows up.

It might be worthwhile contacting your ISP's Help Desk and asking them 
if they filter ports, particularly TCP port 21.

-- 
Le Flake
from deepest, darkest Ontario
0
Le
10/8/2005 9:55:34 PM
Le Flake wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> 
>> Robin Keir wrote:
>>
> 
>>> The TCP port 21 is all a bit of a mystery!
>>>
>>
>> Thanks, will keep on running cport from time to time to see if 
>> anything shows up.
> 
> 
> It might be worthwhile contacting your ISP's Help Desk and asking them 
> if they filter ports, particularly TCP port 21.
> 
Not sure what this means.  What if they do or do not?
I need to learn more about ports.  Can you point me to a site that has a 
good explanation of ports and how they work etc?
0
Bruce
10/8/2005 10:33:44 PM
Bruce wrote:
> Le Flake wrote:
> 
>> Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> Robin Keir wrote:
>>>
>>
>>>> The TCP port 21 is all a bit of a mystery!
>>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks, will keep on running cport from time to time to see if 
>>> anything shows up.
>>
>>
>>
>> It might be worthwhile contacting your ISP's Help Desk and asking them 
>> if they filter ports, particularly TCP port 21.
>>
> Not sure what this means.  What if they do or do not?
> I need to learn more about ports.  Can you point me to a site that has a 
> good explanation of ports and how they work etc?

Actually, the GRC site is pretty good for that.

A thought occurred though; we know you don't have a router, but it might 
be your _modem_ which is causing the "open" response. Could you let us 
know the modem make and model, and we'll look it up to see if it does 
anything interesting with that port?

-- 
Le Flake
from deepest, darkest Ontario
0
Le
10/9/2005 1:31:12 AM
Le Flake wrote:
> Bruce wrote:

> A thought occurred though; we know you don't have a router, but it might 
> be your _modem_ which is causing the "open" response. Could you let us 
> know the modem make and model, and we'll look it up to see if it does 
> anything interesting with that port?
>
Thanks
Modem is a DLINK ADSL Modem, DSL-200, USB, Broadband
0
Bruce
10/9/2005 2:18:59 AM
Bruce wrote:
> Le Flake wrote:
> 
>> Bruce wrote:
> 
> 
>> A thought occurred though; we know you don't have a router, but it 
>> might be your _modem_ which is causing the "open" response. Could you 
>> let us know the modem make and model, and we'll look it up to see if 
>> it does anything interesting with that port?
>>
> Thanks
> Modem is a DLINK ADSL Modem, DSL-200, USB, Broadband

Well, your modem has a GUI for configuration purposes. Read the manual 
carefully and see how you can access the modem. It's probable that your 
settings allow for "Remote Administration" by anyone on the Internet who 
knows the password for your modem. That should be turned off and 
hopefully that'll close TCP Port 21. The setting you need is "Local 
Administration" .... only from your computer. Let us know how you get on.

At this point, if you need detailed help, you should contact whoever 
supplied or sold you this modem via their help desk.

Hope that helps,


-- 
Le Flake
from deepest, darkest Ontario
0
Le
10/9/2005 3:29:38 AM
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 10:41:59 -0700, Robin Keir
<robin@NOREPLYkeir.net.invalid> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>
>> Also, I seem to have heard somewhere that the Windows XP firewall
>> would have port 21 open (and may not let you see that locally). Try
>> installing a good firewall program.
>
>More FUD. The Windows Firewall does not leave TCP port 21 open in any 
>kind of default situation.
>

I located that source (http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1620)
again, and seemed to have misinterpreted that. Anyway, it does show
something strange about the XP firewall.

>Bruce, I don't see your port 21 open from here. In fact your system (at 
>the IP address in your headers) appears to be completely "stealthed".
-- 
77 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what
to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
0
Mark
10/9/2005 5:54:37 PM
Mark Lloyd wrote:
[snip]
> I located that source (http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1620)
> again, and seemed to have misinterpreted that. Anyway, it does show
> something strange about the XP firewall.
> 

The source is very badly out of date - the Windows Firewall replaced ICF 
in XP SP2 in August 2004, your source is dated 2002. So, it's not just 
FUD, it's ignorant FUD, isn't it?


-- 
Le Flake
from deepest, darkest Ontario
0
Le
10/9/2005 6:22:36 PM
On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 07:11:58 +1000, Bruce wrote:

> Norman Miller wrote:

>> I was thinking, like Mark Lloyd, more along the lines of a server. You
>> should run something like TCPView to see if anything is listening on port
>> 21.
>> 
>> http://www.sysinternals.com/

> Result of TCPView is...

I don't see anything about FTP in your results. Did you run ShieldsUp!
while TCPView showed those results? I see a link in another post in the
thread which suggests that Windows XP has some kind of proxy for FTP. I
don't have a box to play with, and I am not quite sure that I understood
what I read...

-- 
Norman
~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
0
Norman
10/9/2005 6:28:58 PM
>> open a command prompt and run the command
>>
>> netstat -an|find /I "LISTEN"
>>
>> and look at the resulting list, if port 21 isn't there
>> then such a port is probably exposed by your
>> router

> Result is:
> TCP  0.0.0.0:135         0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING
> TCP  0.0.0.0:445         0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING
> TCP  0.0.0.0:2869        0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING
> TCP  60.240.236.111:139  0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING
> TCP  127.0.0.1:1026      0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING
> TCP  127.0.0.1:699       0.0.0.0:0   LISTENING

> What does this mean?

as you see there's no port 21/TCP listening, so the
open port 21 shown by shieldsup isn't exposed by
your machine but by something "upstream" on the
internet connection chain, for example, your router
or *DSL modem, or your ISP which is running some
kind of "transparent" proxy and exposing port 21 as
open for whatever reason; in any case that port 21
shown by SU isn't exposed by your machine at all

Regards

-- 

* ObiWan

DNS "fail-safe" for Windows 2000 and 9X clients.
http://www.ntcanuck.com

Support and discussions forums/groups
http://forums.ntcanuck.com
news://news.ntcanuck.com

408 XP/2000 tweaks and tips
http://www.ntcanuck.com/tq/Tip_Quarry.htm


0
ObiWan
10/10/2005 3:48:28 PM
> The TCP port 21 is all a bit of a mystery!

Robin; if you look at my previous post in this same
thread you'll see that I suggested Bruce to run a
"netstat -an" and if you look at the results he posted
there's no 21/tcp listening *on the machine itself* so
either the port is exposed by the *DSL modem or the
ISP is performing some kind of filtering on port #21
to forbid customers running their own FTP servers

Regards

-- 

* ObiWan

DNS "fail-safe" for Windows 2000 and 9X clients.
http://www.ntcanuck.com

Support and discussions forums/groups
http://forums.ntcanuck.com
news://news.ntcanuck.com

408 XP/2000 tweaks and tips
http://www.ntcanuck.com/tq/Tip_Quarry.htm


0
ObiWan
10/10/2005 4:04:19 PM
Bruce Fullerton wrote:
> Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open.
> Should I do something about this?
> If so, what .... how do I fix it?
> 
> Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall).
> 
> 
I have been in contact with both my Modem Manufacturer and my ISP, and 
although they both say that they do not open any ports, they both, like 
a lot of help desks these days, don't seem to understand English too 
well and don't appear to know much more than I do!!!! So I am not sure 
about this!!

I am however, of the opinion, from all the input posted, that my system 
is not at risk. I will continue to try to track down the reason, and if 
I find something will post another message.

Thanks to all who have provided valuable and expert suggestions and 
information.
0
Bruce
10/12/2005 6:25:49 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

FTP Ports open, but no FTP
Hi I have a win 2000 server set up as a web server with several IP adresses (6 total). I am running FTP service on two of these, but when I port scan, all of the IP's have port 21 open. Is this normal? My other services like SMTP and WEB only shows up on the IP's they are supposed to. If I try to connect with my FTP client on one of the IP's that is not set up to run FTP it just says: "Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message." and then after a while I get a timeout. Is it normal or are some nasty Trojan listening and waiting for the right commands to...

ftp port open
How to configure WAN to close the ftp port on my SpeedStream 5851 router? I am using Covad SDSL with one static IP address. "stchai" <stchai@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:d6jrr3$2n3h$1@news.grc.com... > How to configure WAN to close the ftp port on my SpeedStream 5851 router? I > am using Covad SDSL with one static IP address. Try asking your question in dslreports. http://www.dslreports.com/nsearch?boardlist=125&cat=remark&advanced=1&125=1&p=10&o=r&q=speedstream http://www.alltel.net/downloads/links/SpeedStream211.pdf -...

UDP Port Open doesnt mean the port is open
Related to the other threads that are ongoing regarding a similar issue it SEEMS as if some people might be concerned because UDP ports are being shown as open when they are running being a Stealthing device. This does not mean that your ports are in fact open. This problem i sbeing cause by the way in which the UDP protocol works. Since it is a connectionless protocol there is no set-up or tear down of connections. Packets are puched out of the computer like a mother bird teaching her babies to fly. If they make it they make it. typically the way a port scan would see a closed UD...

Open Ports what opened them
How I find out what program has opened a port on my computer. port 2105 -- There is an old Vulcan proverb. Only Nixon could go to China. Brady Wang wrote: > How I find out what program has opened a port on my computer. You can use AtGuard (no longer available), Norton Internet Security / Norton Personal Firewall (non free) <http://www.symantec.com>, TCPView Pro (non free) <http://www.winternals.com/>, Fport (free but NT/2000 only) <http://www.foundstone.com/> and a few other tools. Sebastian ...

Open Port 21, Maybe?
I am trying to help a friend be more "secure" and found that ShieldsUp indicated Port 21 was "open." A check with Sygate's Stealth Scan showed Port 21 "blocked." Netstat -b -v provided me with no further knowledge but then I hardly understand the output of that utility. He is running XP Home with SP2 using dial-up. Appreciate some advice on how to proceed to research and learn. Ed the Hammer wrote in grc.security: > I am trying to help a friend be more "secure" and found that > ShieldsUp indicated Port 21 was "open." ...

ftp port open #2
How to configure WAN to close the ftp port on my SpeedStream 5851 router? I am using Covad SDSL with one static IP address. ...

open ports 80 , 21
Hi, I have a personal computer and don't use it as a web server or ftp server. In shields up test, my 80. 21. ports are open. I have tried this test with four firewall but result is same. How can i close these ports? NOte: I don't use icq(icq is closed) while doing this test. Thanx Regards, ~ibrahim If nothing changes running a firewall ur not probing ur machine (u could be under a proxy, or using a router) or ur isp is playing around. > Hi, > I have a personal computer and don't use it as a web server or ftp server. > In shields up test, my 80. 21. po...

ftp port open #3
How to configure WAN to close the ftp port on my SpeedStream 5851 router? I am using Covad SDSL with one static IP address. ...

Ports 21 and 23 Open
Ran the ShieldsUp! test on my computer on at work. The computer is on a network and it is currently running Windows XP sp2. After running the ShieldsUp common port probe test I discovered that the ports 21(FTP) and 23 (Telnet) are open. All other ports are closed and only port 0 (<nil>) is stealth. I also received the solicited TCP Packets and Ping Reply, but passed the Unsolicited packets test. Our office network connects to the internet through a DSL modem that is contected to 16 port hub, but no hardware firewall is in place. I am only running the sp2 Windows Firew...

Ports 21, 23, 80 Open?
Good evening all, Yesterday I installed broadband prior to setting up our home network. This machine is running XP home, the NIC card is onboard the nVidia MD. I am using an SMC 7204BRA 4 port router and the firewall is on with it's default settings. I removed ZoneAlarm and the XP firewall is on. When I test the most common ports at ShieldsUp I get no Stealth ports, Closed for most ports with 21, 23 & 80 open. Testing all ports ShieldsUp reports that all ports are stealth. I noted when testing yesterday that the reporting of reverse DNS was not ...

Probe My Ports: FTP and SMTP are open
When I probe my ports, I only have FTP and SMTP ports open. Is it dangerous for my computer to have those ports open ? What can I do to close them ? Are there options on Windows 2000 or on Zone Alarm Pro that can increase security on those ports ? Thank you Eric "Eric Desrochers" wrote in message news:9jnv37$a2j$1@news.grc.com... > When I probe my ports, I only have FTP and SMTP ports open. > > Is it dangerous for my computer to have those ports open ? What can I do to > close them ? Are there options on Windows 2000 or on Zone Alarm Pro that can >...

Ports 21 & 22 open
When the firewall on my Actiontec ADSL modem is set at any security level above off, Shields Up indicates that ports 21 and 22 are open, ports 23 & 80 are stealth and all of the others are closed. When the modem firewall is turned off and the only firewall seen by Shields Up is Zone Alarm, ALL ports are stealthed. Why are ports 21 & 22 open on my modem's firewall even when both of those ports are specifically closed for input/output in the firewall settings??? On the same PC using a modem firewall with SPI, ports 2, 23 and 80 are stealth and all others are closed....

shieldsup shows port 641 open
I ran shieldsup on my win XP pro machine with ZoneAlarmPro and it showed that port 641 was open. I have no idea why this port is open and if someone could advise me as to what is opening this port and how to close it I would greatly appreciate it. [Rick Butera] wrote ... > I ran shieldsup on my win XP pro machine with ZoneAlarmPro > and it showed that port 641 was open. I have no idea why > this port is open and if someone could advise me as to what > is opening this port and how to close it I would greatly > appreciate it. That's an odd one alright ... way ...

ShieldsUp finding 2 open ports.
I am running XP pro. I had the XP Firewall switched of. I am also running McAfee Firewall. ShieldsUp found ports 135 and 1025 open. When I activated XP's Firewall, they, were like the rest, then found to be "stealthed" I would have thought that McAfee would have blocked the ports when scanned by ShieldsUp. Anyone know why not. Thanks. Malky. MALCOLM WATSON wrote: : I am running XP pro. I had the XP Firewall switched of. I am also running : McAfee Firewall. ShieldsUp found ports 135 and 1025 open. When I activated : XP's Firewall, they, were like the rest, then ...

Web resources about - Port 21 FTP Open - grc.shieldsup

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

Controversial nuclear waste shipment arrives in Port Kembla
A ship carrying&nbsp;25 tonnes of nuclear waste will be transported to Sydney's Lucas Heights after it&nbsp;arrived in the state's south&nbsp;on ...

NT Chief Minister Adam Giles embraces the Chinese over the Port of Darwin deal
The rest of Australia and even the US might not feel the same way about selling out a strategically crucial port to the Chinese, but the Northern ...

Apple applies for patent for ‘self-healing ports’ as it continues to work on waterproofing
... been working hard in this area – with the new phones still working after a full hour underwater. But water will always get in through ports ...

Here’s what id Software’s PC port of Mario 3 could have looked like
Nintendo rejected this early demo, leaving id to make the Commander Keen games.

Medical Examiner: Port Huron Woman’s Dog Mauling Death Was Suicide
"It's akin to someone jumping into a cage with tigers or lions at a zoo." PORT HURON (WWJ) – Suicide by dog attack. That’s what authorities say ...

15,000 faulty hoverboards halted at UK ports as retailers issue recalls
Self-balancing scooters are in demand this season, but many are found to ship with poor-quality charging equipment that doesn't meet UK or EU ...

Resources last updated: 12/15/2015 4:44:16 PM