cecil id???

when i first started posting on these ngs, i followed the directions on
the grc site and put my cecil id in the organization: space in my
newsreader (gravity) setup. worked like a charm, though i've rarely had
occasion to use it and so haven't checked in a while. today, i happened
to look at the full headers of one of my posts, and notice that there is
suddenly no organization field (though it's still in the setup of the grc
server on my newsreader) and there's a new header named cecil id: . did
steve change this, and how do i use it now?

--
Graciella!
'Not tonight dear.... I have a modem.'

Hello.
You are currently using the "Old" Cecil-ID system. Steve has disabled the
system for most users.

The "New" Cecil-ID system: To get it, you'll have to log on-to news.grc.com
with an unique username and password.
But, don't worry! You'll be able to choose your own username and password!
I don't use gravity so I don't know how to configure your program to log
onto news.grc.com with a custom-made username and password.
But, for more info on how to using the new Cecil-ID system: Subscribe to
if you haven't already, and read the article: Our Next-generation Cecil-ID
system...

Note: If you look @ my headers, you'll be able to see my "new" Cecil-ID
beside my IP adress (in brackets).
HTH

"Graciella" <graciella@thisis.invalid> wrote in message
> when i first started posting on these ngs, i followed the directions on
> the grc site and put my cecil id in the organization: space in my
> newsreader (gravity) setup. worked like a charm, though i've rarely had
> occasion to use it and so haven't checked in a while. today, i happened
> to look at the full headers of one of my posts, and notice that there is
> suddenly no organization field (though it's still in the setup of the grc
> server on my newsreader) and there's a new header named cecil id: . did
> steve change this, and how do i use it now?
>
> --
> Graciella!
> 'Not tonight dear.... I have a modem.'
0
jinypk
8/3/2001 10:47:00 PM
In article <9kf9oe$13ek$1@news.grc.com>, jjypk@eth.com says...
> Hello.
> You are currently using the "Old" Cecil-ID system. Steve has disabled the
> system for most users.
> The "New" Cecil-ID system: To get it, you'll have to log on-to news.grc.com
> with an unique username and password.
> But, for more info on how to using the new Cecil-ID system: Subscribe to
> if you haven't already, and read the article: Our Next-generation Cecil-ID
> system...

thanx, i think <G>... there's no mention on the website of a "new" cecil-
id system, the page looks the same as the old one and the instructions
are the same (hey, steve, not all of us read grc.news); and i'm obviously
logged on to news.grc.com since i'm posting here <G>. i saw that funny
header and wondered---noone else seems to have it. i'll try to find the
'article' you mention (i assume you mean a newsgroup post?) in grc.news.
though i haven't used cecil very often, it's comforting to have it <G>; i
just needed it this afternoon and it didn't work. guess i know why now
<G>. thanx!

--
Graciella!
'Not tonight dear.... I have a modem.'
0
Graciella
8/4/2001 12:38:00 AM
In article <9kf9oe$13ek$1@news.grc.com>, jjypk@eth.com says...

> You are currently using the "Old" Cecil-ID system. Steve has disabled the
> system for most users.

thanx again; i found the post and did the new logon stuff. odd that the
old cecil page with old instructions is still on the website...ok, i'm
ready once again to put my foot in my mouth and be able to take it back
<G>.

--
Graciella!
'Not tonight dear.... I have a modem.'
0
Graciella
8/4/2001 1:16:00 AM
my only complaint <tongue-in-cheek> is that the end of my cecil id
thingie now says OE---i wouldn't want anyone to think i would use OE <G>.

and there's still that extra "cecil id" header there, though it's empty.
what's that? it's not on others' headers who have the new authentication.

--
Graciella!
'Not tonight dear.... I have a modem.'
0
Graciella
8/4/2001 2:08:00 AM
In article <MPG.15d5232be5778cdc989a59@news.grc.com> Graciella wrote:

> my only complaint <tongue-in-cheek> is that the end of my cecil id
> thingie now says OE---i wouldn't want anyone to think i would use OE <G>.

Well, you can trash it, then choose a new username and password, which
would get you a new Cecil-ID II.  ;^)

> and there's still that extra "cecil id" header there, though it's empty.
> what's that? it's not on others' headers who have the new authentication.

That's for your Cecil-ID II if you can put it there.  Mine is physically
placed in the Organization field in Netscape.  But no matter where it is
in your header when it leaves your computer, it will show up at the
right end of the Poster field when it's accepted by Steve's server.

HTH hand
--
Alan
(at work on 21st century Energy Theory)

Cecil ID
Way back in mid July Steve posted in news about the 2nd generation Cecil ID system for this site. I have kind of lost track of what the status of this is currently. I have looked around and can't seem to find out any new information. Anyone want to volunteer an update on this? Thanks, It's been in place and working since then. The only thing missing is a page that tells about it. You can tell who is using it, in the posting headers. At the end of the "Poster" header, everyone who has it (like me), has the coded ID, all others (like in yours), will s...

cecil ID
My new laptop has Vista OS but doesn't know about cecil. My older desktop ( on OE ) is cecil'd in as I can post here under OE. MS stopped OE and OE became Windows Mail in my Vista OS which is ok. Only problem is how to get the Vista laptop cecil'd in. Any thoughts out there highly appreciated........ thx.... js On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:09:23 -0700, jerry sullivan wrote: > My new laptop has Vista OS but doesn't know about cecil. My older desktop > ( on OE ) is cecil'd in as I can post here under OE. MS stopped OE and OE > became Windows Mail in...

Cecil ID
I can't find any blurb about how to get a Cecil ID, though I remember seeing posts about it. Is it a "closed society" here? TIA, Bahb "brh" <bahb@genesis1st.com> wrote in message news:3BB9DE98.8006F757@genesis1st.com... > > I can't find any blurb about how to get a Cecil ID, though I remember > seeing posts about it. Is it a "closed society" here? Unfortunately, Steve hasn't had time to write it up on a web page. Here is something I saved. <paste> Everyone ... (Take II) Here is LAST NIGHT'S CANCE...

cecil=id ?
I put my cecil-id into my organization field of netscape 479.It does not show up in the "all header" info.Only the "Land of Nowhere " shows up. I cannot delete any post I put in tenforward test NG. I followed instruction in "no regrets" page.I enetered a passphrase,click submit and got a public cecil-id and put it in organization field. I have java and java script enabled. What is the problem? Is the cecil-id suppose to show up in post? "noname" <noname@nowhere.nett> wrote news:3D150F22.E62F77E5@nowhere.nett... > I put my cecil-id i...

Cecil-Id
Help!!!Any one have Outlook express 6 know how to add the cecil-id. When I add it to the organization it ignores it.(While it is surrounded by < >). Thank you in advance. R. Schneider "R.Schneider" <kanonind23@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9qjr9m$76a$1@news.grc.com... > Help!!!Any one have Outlook express 6 know how to add the cecil-id. When I > add it to the organization it ignores it.(While it is surrounded by < >). > With Steve's new Cecil ID II system, you need to just enter a unique, 30 character or less, username and password (...

Cecil ID?
I read Steves recent posting on potential ID improvements using the CECIL ID system. I am unfamiliar with this system and am interested in obtaining one and using it with my FreeAgent client. Can you steer me in that direction? Rudy Rudy wrote: > > I read Steves recent posting on potential ID improvements using the > CECIL ID system. I am unfamiliar with this system and am interested > in obtaining one and using it with my FreeAgent client. Can you steer > me in that direction? > Rudy You can read about and obtain the 'old' CECIL-ID, which is still...

Cecil-ID
I'm curious....what is this Cecil-ID thing and how do I get one? Anthony "Anthony Chippendale" <anthonyc@ufon.org> wrote in message news:9h9nhv$up4$1@news.grc.com... > I'm curious....what is this Cecil-ID thing and how do I get one? http://grc.com/noregrets.htm -- � -- Robert grc.com forum FAQ - http://grc.com/discussions.htm grc.com forum quick reference - http://grc.com/nntpquickref.htm Thank You "Robert Wycoff" <rwycoff@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:9h9nt2$v71$1@news.grc.com... > > "Anthony Chippendale&q...

CECIL id question?
Do they need to be the username need to be the same as the password or should it be different? I am using Free agent, Greg R Greg, The username and password need to be the same thing. Matias Greg R wrote: > Do they need to be the username need to be the same as the password or > should it be different? > > I am using Free agent, > > Greg R In article <4712q0lvlh9dr08qqsfdufd22n50r33ti2@4ax.com>, Greg R says... > Do they need to be the username need to be the same as the password or > should it be different? The same....

Cecil-ID-II
Just testing -- Trevor. ================= Trevor Collins Wagga Wagga NSW Australia ================= Trevor Collins wrote: >Just testing grc.ten-forward.tests for this please. :) -- Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" <http://www.helppchelp.com> <http://website.lineone.net/~legal.defence.fund/> Steve, I read yr article. I never got around to getting a Cecil-I ID. Will that matter? And will I just get asked one day to create one for Cecil-II? Nice and simple? BTW, why Cecil? AJ "Jim Crowther" <Don't.use.Lockdown@...

CECIL-ID #3
Forgive me for being naive but I saw that news.grc.com requires a identical username and password. In the guidelines it references the term "CECIL-ID" which oddly I can't find any information on at all. I can gather contextually that "CECIL-ID" is the term used to describe an identical username/password combo. However Google is quite unhelpful in finding a definition or information describing the process. Is "CECIL-ID" a made up term to describe this type of authentication? Or is it an actual term that wikipedia hasn't learned about yet? Curios...

Cecil-ID II
hi! how do we make our user name and password? via grc.com? i have read posts.. and no reference to that.. only to make up your "login name" and password..?? if so.. i tried that and that dont work... thanks, luke "luke" <luke-iinet@realmail.cjb.net> wrote in message news:1104_995277271@kaye... > hi! > > how do we make our user name and password? via grc.com? > > i have read posts.. and no reference to that.. only to make up your "login name" and password..?? > > if so.. i tried that and that dont work... ...

Cecil-ID encryption
does anybody know what encryption is used to encrypt your user id when you post a message? EG Poster: [12.214.91.148] (24 Nov 2002 18:33:35 GMT) {3+HX88FsvN/7GtPKMIbG4l+CjcI} can you get a user-id from " 3+HX88FsvN/7GtPKMIbG4l+CjcI "? martin "martin rothe" <martinr428@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:ce8c3r$ho2$1@news.grc.com... > does anybody know what encryption is used to encrypt your user id when you > post a message? > EG > Poster: [12.214.91.148] (24 Nov 2002 18:33:35 GMT) > {3+HX88FsvN/7GtPKMIbG4l+CjcI} > > can you ...

CECIL-ID #2
http://grc.com/noregrets.htm is Cecil-id still functioning in news.grc.com? - Yes? Why is Cecil-id not showing in my messages? Is posted in Organization header Outlook Express Dutch 6.00.2600.000 Organisatie: <x2i1ryljlha31znv3buvpz2sizro2yaa> -- Best regards, S|D, UTC + 2:00 P4 1.5GHz 640MB Ram Win98SE Dutch Broadband Router ADSL Up 128 kbps/ Down 750 kbps SystemDrive.be <SystemDrive.be@[nospam].invalid> writes: >http://grc.com/noregrets.htm > >is Cecil-id still functioning in news.grc.com? > >- Yes? Why is Cecil-id not showing in my message...

Cecil ID Help
After reading further in No Regrets I see I need a Cecil ID. Is there a page with information on how to get a Cecil ID? Is it a secret? -- Firewire Greetings, "Firewire" <PCfirewire@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9p1qu1$n2k$1@news.grc.com... > After reading further in No Regrets I see I need a Cecil ID. Is there a > page with information on how to get a Cecil ID? Is it a secret? You will need to have had your "CECIL ID" _before_ you can delete a post. Now that you have a passphrase you can use it by modifying your NG account. I bel...

Web resources about - cecil id??? - grc.shieldsup

Cecil Masey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Masey died on 7 April 1960. His address was 29 Woodcote Avenue, Wallington , Surrey. ^ "1960" . England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index ...

Tony Abbott warns Oxford University not to remove Cecil Rhodes statue
... Tony Abbott has enraged students at Oxford University by warning the institution would “damage its standing” if it removed a statue of Cecil ...

Cecil the Lion hunter expects to be cleared of charges - Videos - CBS News
The Zimbabwean hunter who helped a Minnesota dentist kill Cecil the Lion says he expects to be cleared of charges that he lured the lion off ...

Cecil Or Cecilia?
Animals are dumb, and everybody’s tired of pretending to care about Cecil the Lion. Now America has a new leonine heartthrob, and this one is ...

Denzel Washington Set For Cecil B. DeMille Award From Golden Globes
Denzel Washington will receive the 2016 Cecil B. DeMille Award from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. The group’s annual career will be ...

My main man Cecil shows his stuff in latest Dissidia Final Fantasy trailer
... claim, as it still has a fantastic soundtrack and an amazing cast "Spoony Bard" and all. That's partially why I'm excited to play as Cecil ...

Farm Murders in South Africa Continue As Paris, Like Cecil The Lion, Get More Attention
In the wake of terrorist attacks in Paris, and the murder of Cecil the lion several months ago, farm murders in South Africa have largely gone ...

Denzel Washington to Receive Cecil B. DeMille Award at Golden Globes 2016
It was just announced that Denzel Washington will receive the prestigious Cecil B. DeMille Award at the 2016 Golden Globes ! The Hollywood Foreign ...

Zimbabwe Won’t Prosecute Dentist for Hunting Cecil the Lion
"I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt"

U.S. adds African lions to endangered species list in wake of Cecil's death
... been in the making for at least four years now. However, attention to the issue sharpened significantly this year after the death of Cecil the ...