Windows 7 like network resource monitoring tool for XP

I know it was mentioned in an episode of past...a tool that graphically
shows network activity on my XP workstation, and the associated process/exe
with real time update.

If you have not seen it yet, Windows 7 resource monitoring tool is excellent
for this.

I searched linkfarm and Securitynow show notes, but I cant seem to remember
the tool that was mentioned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0
Tighe
7/8/2009 5:16:51 AM
grc.securitynow 3529 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <h31a94$1emg$1@news.grc.com>, on Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:16:51
-0700, Tighe wrote:

| I know it was mentioned in an episode of past...a tool that graphically
| shows network activity on my XP workstation, and the associated process/exe
| with real time update.
|
| If you have not seen it yet, Windows 7 resource monitoring tool is excellent
| for this.
|
| I searched linkfarm and Securitynow show notes, but I cant seem to remember
| the tool that was mentioned.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TCPView for Windows
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx>

CurrPorts
<http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html>
--
David Postill
Dance your Life - Biodanza in Holland - <http://www.danceyourlife.eu>
David Postill wrote:

> TCPView for Windows
> <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx>
>
> CurrPorts
> <http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html>

Also Prio, which integrates nicely into the task manager.
http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html
0
sparky
7/8/2009 12:44:26 PM
sparky wrote:
> David Postill wrote:
>>
>> TCPView for Windows
>> <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx>
>>
>> CurrPorts <http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html>
>
> Also Prio, which integrates nicely into the task manager.
> http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html

Prio shows the port-to-process mapping, but does not display the data
activity.

--FM /)`
0
FM
7/8/2009 7:38:34 PM
[for the unabridged version, see FM post above]

> > Also Prio, which integrates nicely into the task manager.
> > http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html
>
> Prio shows the port-to-process mapping, but does not display
> the data activity.

Hmmm.  It sure does for me!  :)

Steve.  Working on: GRC's DNS Benchmark utility:
        http://www.grc.com/dev/DNSBench.exe
0
Steve
7/9/2009 8:26:09 PM
[for the unabridged version, see sparky post above]

> > TCPView for Windows
> > <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx>
> >
> > CurrPorts
> > <http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html>
>
> Also Prio, which integrates nicely into the task manager.
> http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html

Right.  Prio is the one I discovered and talked about.

Still loving it!

Steve.  Working on: GRC's DNS Benchmark utility:
        http://www.grc.com/dev/DNSBench.exe
0
Steve
7/9/2009 8:26:40 PM
Steve Gibson wrote:
> [for the unabridged version, see FM post above]
>
>>> Also Prio, which integrates nicely into the task manager.
>>> http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html
>> Prio shows the port-to-process mapping, but does not display
>> the data activity.
>
> Hmmm.  It sure does for me!  :)

Hmmm.

Well, OK, now I found it and it's there, but IMHO it's badly hidden.
Displaying it within a tool tip - where you can see the info for only
one connection at a time, only when you ask for it, and often usable
only when you first set the Task Manager Update Speed to "Paused", and
then it displays full byte count no less, not a more readable scaled kB
or MB etc., is nowhere near as nice as it would be if it were displayed
in the columns, where all the connections could be sorted and easily
compared.

Regarding its lack of scaling, I just looked at one of mine and it
displayed 22 decimal places, without even comma-separating that gigantic
number into groups of thousands!

Don't get me wrong, I make use of Prio.  But I consider it a toy, not a
serious tool.  For connectivity monitoring, and mapping between process
and TCP port, it's good.  But for activity monitoring, I'd call it junk
and suggest anyone get a more appropriate tool.

--FM /)`
0
FM
7/9/2009 9:39:59 PM
FM wrote:

> Hmmm.
>
> Well, OK, now I found it and it's there, but IMHO it's badly hidden.
> Displaying it within a tool tip - where you can see the info for only
> one connection at a time, only when you ask for it, and often usable
> only when you first set the Task Manager Update Speed to "Paused", and
> then it displays full byte count no less, not a more readable scaled kB
> or MB etc., is nowhere near as nice as it would be if it were displayed
> in the columns, where all the connections could be sorted and easily
> compared.
>
> Regarding its lack of scaling, I just looked at one of mine and it
> displayed 22 decimal places, without even comma-separating that gigantic
> number into groups of thousands!
>
> Don't get me wrong, I make use of Prio.  But I consider it a toy, not a
> serious tool.  For connectivity monitoring, and mapping between process
> and TCP port, it's good.  But for activity monitoring, I'd call it junk
> and suggest anyone get a more appropriate tool.

Prio has received, sent and speeds in and out in real time for each
connection under the TCP/IP tab.  You can sort them on any column as
well.  It does the job for me.  If I need more I fire up wireshark.
0
sparky
7/9/2009 10:12:22 PM
sparky wrote:
> <snip>
> Prio has received, sent and speeds in and out in real time for each
> connection under the TCP/IP tab.  You can sort them on any column as
> well.  It does the job for me.  If I need more I fire up wireshark.

Hmmmmmmm with a lot more m's.  :-)

Prio has no help for the TCP/IP tab that I can find, and the screen shot
at its web side does *not* show the columns you name (rather, that
screen shot, at http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html, looks exactly like mine).

Needless to say, I'm curious why you all see things mine doesn't show.
Maybe mine is down-rev??  Mine says it is version 1.9.6.  What's yours?

--FM /)`

0
FM
7/9/2009 10:24:41 PM
FM wrote:
> sparky wrote:
>> <snip> Prio has received, sent and speeds in and out in real time for
>> each connection under the TCP/IP tab.  You can sort them on any column
>> as well.  It does the job for me.  If I need more I fire up wireshark.
>
> Hmmmmmmm with a lot more m's.  :-)
>
> Prio has no help for the TCP/IP tab that I can find, and the screen shot
> at its web side does *not* show the columns you name (rather, that
> screen shot, at http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html, looks exactly like
> mine).
>
> Needless to say, I'm curious why you all see things mine doesn't show.
> Maybe mine is down-rev??  Mine says it is version 1.9.6.  What's yours?

ver 1.9.9.1732.  I have 4 more columns between "remote address" and
"state".  I'm not sure what the difference is.  I'm running XP Pro if
that's any help.
0
sparky
7/9/2009 11:08:47 PM
Cool.  Ill check them out.  Thanks!

"David Postill" <david.postill@gmail.com> wrote in message

> TCPView for Windows
> <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx>
>
> CurrPorts
> <http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html>
> --
> David Postill
> Dance your Life - Biodanza in Holland - <http://www.danceyourlife.eu>

0
Tighe
7/11/2009 3:55:29 AM
Prio!  Thats the one I was thinking of.

Thanks!

"sparky" <paulbyfordWITHOUTSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Also Prio, which integrates nicely into the task manager.
> http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html

0
Tighe
7/11/2009 3:57:59 AM
Great tool.

Thanks for sharing Steve.

-Tighe

"Steve Gibson" <news07_@_grc.com> wrote in message
> [for the unabridged version, see sparky post above]
>
>> > TCPView for Windows
>> > <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx>
>> >
>> > CurrPorts
>> > <http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html>
>>
>> Also Prio, which integrates nicely into the task manager.
>> http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html
>
> Right.  Prio is the one I discovered and talked about.
>
> Still loving it!
>
> --
> Steve.  Working on: GRC's DNS Benchmark utility:
>        http://www.grc.com/dev/DNSBench.exe

0
Tighe
7/11/2009 5:00:07 AM
sparky wrote:
> FM wrote:
>> sparky wrote:
>>> <snip> Prio has received, sent and speeds in and out in real time for
>>> each connection under the TCP/IP tab.  You can sort them on any
>>> column as well.  It does the job for me.  If I need more I fire up
>>> wireshark.
>>
>> Hmmmmmmm with a lot more m's.  :-)
>>
>> Prio has no help for the TCP/IP tab that I can find, and the screen
>> shot at its web side does *not* show the columns you name (rather,
>> that screen shot, at http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html, looks exactly
>> like mine).
>>
>> Needless to say, I'm curious why you all see things mine doesn't show.
>> Maybe mine is down-rev??  Mine says it is version 1.9.6.  What's yours?
>
> ver 1.9.9.1732...

Well it turns out the Prio version was the difference.

Curiously, the previous version of Prio I had could not even figure out
what version it was.  Whereas its Help/About had said 1.9.6, the
uninstaller for it said I was uninstalling 1.9.7.

Well at least the newer version is much more what I want it to be.
Thanks, y'all.

--FM /)`

0
FM

Windows 7 like network resource monitoring tool for XP #2
I know it was mentioned in an episode of past...a tool that graphically shows network activity on my XP workstation, and the associated process/exe with real time update. If you have not seen it yet, Windows 7 resource monitoring tool is excellent for this. I searched linkfarm and Securitynow show notes, but I cant seem to remember the tool that was mentioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

setting up a network between Windows XP, Windows 7 opensuse
Hi I need some advise about setting up a wireless network, never had to do this before. My partner has just purchased a fancy laptop, which will have windows7. I have a desktop with two hard drives one with Opensuse 11.2 64 bits, the other with Windows XP. At present my box is connect directly via cable to the netgear DG834Gv2 router, that comes with me ISP.. May questions are; - can i have my box cabled to the router at the same time as using the router to connect the laptop by wireless? - Does Suse have a program for setting up such networks? I have the feeling this could be a ...

Windows XP Networking doesn't like homeplug?
I have two computers connected to an internet switch. And this switch is connected to a homeplug. If I boot linux on both computers everything works fine. But when I boot windows xp on one of them, downloads (on windows xp) are slower, about a third of the speed. I tried connecting this machine directly to the router with a very long cable and the problem seemed to go away. So it seems that windows just doesn't work very well with homeplug. Is there a parameter I can tweak to resolve this? I thought it might be something to do with buffering. (By the way, I pointlessly re-...

Problem in Windows XP but not in Windows 7
Hello, I have installed PB 11.5 in a Windows 7. I developed an application that connects to an Oracle database using the O10 controller. I created the executable file and I leave it in a shared folder that other useres in my organization can access. In this folder I copy the content of the c:\program files\sybase\shared\powerbuilder to allow my users run the program. In the program there is a window that has a datawindow which insert files in the database. In clients with windows 7 works fine, but in clients with windows XP when I run the command dw_1.update() I get a...

How To Replace Windows XP With Windows 7
Many Windows XP users have decided to skip the Windows Vista operating system due to countless problems reported in the early days of its release. Especially performance related issues where the main culprit why many Windows XP users decided to wait for Vista's successor instead. The release of Windows 7 is not that far away anymore. Microsoft did already make announcements regarding the possible upgrade opportunities. In short; Windows XP users will be able to buy an upgrade edition of Windows 7 but will not be able to upgrade the operating system itself to Windows 7. They ...

Network Adapter Drivers for Windows* 2000, Windows* XP and Windows Server* 2003
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=&DwnldID=4275&strOSs=OSFullName=&lang=eng or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ntk46 Installs base drivers, Intel� PROSet for Windows* Device Manager, and Advanced Networking Services (ANS) for Intel� network adapters for Windows* 2000, Windows* XP, and Windows Server* 2003. Download the self-extracting archive and run it. When you run it, it will extract the files to a temporary directory, run the installation wizard, and remove the temporary files when the installation is complet...

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2
What is the System Update Readiness Tool? System resources, such as file data, registry data, and even in-memory data, can develop inconsistencies during the lifetime of the operating system. These inconsistencies might be caused by various hardware failures or might be caused by software issues. In some cases, these inconsistencies can affect the Windows servicing store, and they can cause software updates not to work. The System Update Readiness Tool tries to resolve these inconsistencies. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821 -- "If U know neither the enemy nor y...

ASA 7 and Windows Xp Pro Runs databse but No Tools Work
Hi, We have just upgraded to Windows Xp and Reloaded the ASA 7 Database CD onto the machine, for testing we just started the databases using our old commandline shortcuts, everything looked fine, so we moved on to install many other super products from Microsoft and the like. Now going back to it we see the Start--Programs--Sybase SQL anywhere 7---Sybase Central 4.0 Short cut on screen, we click it and the egg timer appears for about 4 seconds then dissapears, but no "Sybase Central" Appears. Does ASA 7 not work under Windows XP ? ============================== Best...

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-D896-482E-A0D6-524E7E844D81&displaylang=en -- Sired, Squired, Hired, RETIRED. Retired wrote: > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-D896-482E-A0D6-524E7E844D81&displaylang=en > From the release notes: Why Version 5.7? The primary reason for changing the version number from 5.6 to 5.7 is to simplify servicing and support by synchronizing the versioning to a consistent scheme based on Vista build number. The minor version increase does not indicate significant new f...

The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000
The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/?id=890830 *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** Microsoft has released the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool to help remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft W...

Security Permissions for Printer on Windows XP and Windows 7
Hello, We are a big company with a lot of Iprint Netware servers at every location. We are at the testing phase where we will be creating the new OES Iprint server for every location running on SUSE LINUX. I am almost done with the Iprint configuration at every location. When I install the driver from IPP page of the server, installation goes great for Win 7 64 bit but when I go to Devices and Printers - Properties of the Printer - Security Tab. I see Everyone, Creator Owner, Administrators and Power users user group can Print, Manage Printer, Manager Documents so in short all of ...

URL Handling Vulnerability in Windows XP and Windows Server,2003 with Windows Internet Explorer 7 Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Boy, that's a long subject line - but it's the title of Microsoft's KB article: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/943521.mspx -- Microsoft details (a bit) its changes to URL, more correctly URI, handling in IE 7 on WinXP and Windows 2003. The problem is that IE 7 code "tries to fix up" malformed URIs, then passes the fixed-up URI to the ShellExecute procedure (on XP and Win2003). http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2007/10/10/msrc-blog-additional-details-and-background-on-security-advisory-943521.aspx OR http://tinyurl.com/yoadp8 ...

Dual Booting Open SUSE 11.2 and Windows 7, Windows 7 not loading (Windows 7 installed first)
Hi everybody i know there may be many threads on this topic but I have researched and still cant seem to get Windows 7 working when the GRUB menu appears but Open SUSE 11.2 works fine.. This is the first time installing Open SUSE 11.2. I created two partitions (swap and Suse 11.2) in Windows 7 before installing Open SUSE 11.2. Open SUSE 11.2 automatically created an extra two partitions (one was swap and the other i guess is where SUSE was installed?), i should have gone into expert mode and left my original partitions but i decided to let SUSE do it and i deleted the partitions i...

Disable this Thursday Windows 7 and Windows XP on Rev3 machines
(posting to dev.platform and dev.tree-management) Hello all, We have been running unit tests and talos jobs on the iX hardware for a while side by side with the Rev3 minis. We have disabled the Rev3 minis jobs for few days in on our main tbpl pages and we have not missed them AFAIK. We have some known intermittent oranges but nothing that has been shown as a show-stopper. Unless I hear any strong objections we will be stop running jobs on the rev3 minis for FF23 (m-a) && FF24 (m-c) based projects. best regards, Armen Mozilla's Release Engineering This is...

Web resources about - Windows 7 like network resource monitoring tool for XP - grc.securitynow

Nonintrusive load monitoring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
is a process for analyzing changes in the voltage and current going into a house and deducing what appliances are used in the house as well as ...

Facebook Tab Developer SocialAppsHQ Adds Inbox To Monitoring Platform
Facebook tab developer SocialAppsHQ announced the addition of an inbox feature to its monitoring platform, which allows multiple employees to ...

Monitoring cache with Claspin - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Monitoring cache with Claspin geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen Text hier lesen.

Monitoring App Quality with Insights
We’re introducing two new features in Insights : App Ratings and Negative Feedback. They both help you monitor positive and negative user signals. ...

Social Media Monitoring
Events have been a premier feature for Facebook even in its earliest iterations. A great tool for community organizing and brand promotion, Facebook ...

Announcing Bosun, our new open source monitoring & alerting system
... all the time, for no good reason. - Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey A big part of scaling up an engineering team is getting serious about monitoring ...

AirStrip - Patient Monitoring for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get AirStrip - Patient Monitoring on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Mophie introduces new power banks with a sleek aluminum design and Bluetooth monitoring
... USB port to the mix. Mophie has added a couple of standout features to the largest powerstations, the 5x and 8x , including Bluetooth monitoring ...

Initial experiences with the Prometheus monitoring system
I've been looking for a while for a monitoring system written in Go, self-contained and easy to deploy. I think I finally found what I was looking ...

Weighing the options for monitoring your body fat
If you want to lose weight, your Apple Watch can help you sustain healthy habits, but it can’t actually monitor your progress. For that you need ...