Probe My Ports: FTP and SMTP are open

When I probe my ports, I only have FTP and SMTP ports open.

Is it dangerous for my computer to have those ports open ? What can I do to
close them ? Are there options on Windows 2000 or on Zone Alarm Pro that can
increase security on those ports ?

Thank you

Eric
0
Eric

"Eric Desrochers" wrote in message news:9jnv37$a2j$1@news.grc.com...
> When I probe my ports, I only have FTP and SMTP ports open.
>
> Is it dangerous for my computer to have those ports open ? What can I do
> close them ? Are there options on Windows 2000 or on Zone Alarm Pro that
can
> increase security on those ports ?

Eric -

To 'close' the ports, you need to disable the services holding them "open".
For Win2K, go to start: programs: admin tools: services - locate Simple Mail
Transport Services, D-click, set start-up type to 'manual' or 'disabled' and
*stop* the service.  Do the same for FTP Publishing Service.  Voila!  Ports
'closed'.

And yes, there are some attacks for the FTP service, so if you are not
running an FTP server, disable the service.  *Never* allow more services to
run than you need.

---
Cheers,

Joey
0
Joey

Port Probe reports FTP, POP3 and SMTP are "open"
So...HOW do I "close" them? I disabled e-mail checking in Samantex AV and even uninstalled Real Download. Must I uninstall WinFax Lite in OL98? Must I upgrade to Zone Alarm Pro? I am running Windows 98SE over an ADSL conneciton. http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm read the network bondage. at least enough to make you secure "Chuck Johnston" <chuckzmail@yahoo.com> wrote in news:9l02lk$91i$1@news.grc.com: > So...HOW do I "close" them? I disabled e-mail checking in Samantex AV > and even uninstalled Real Download. Must I uninstall WinFax Li...

FTP Ports open, but no FTP
Hi I have a win 2000 server set up as a web server with several IP adresses (6 total). I am running FTP service on two of these, but when I port scan, all of the IP's have port 21 open. Is this normal? My other services like SMTP and WEB only shows up on the IP's they are supposed to. If I try to connect with my FTP client on one of the IP's that is not set up to run FTP it just says: "Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message." and then after a while I get a timeout. Is it normal or are some nasty Trojan listening and waiting for the right commands to...

Use port knocking for a more secure method of opening ports
Use port knocking for a more secure method of opening ports http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-5481894.html *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** Every open port on a firewall or a router is a security risk. That's why a technique called "port knocking" can be valuable. Port knocking is a method of allowing access to firewalled services given a preconfigured "knock." The knock consists of a sequence of access attempts to closed ports on a system. These attempts a...

Port 25 open
Greetings! I would appreciate your advice and assistance with the problem of my Port 25 being held open. I've run the "Internet Common Ports Probe" and my system fails the "TruStealth Analysis." Port 25 is the only port being held open - all others are "Stealth." As recommended in the "Security Implications" field of the report, I registered with Network Abuse Clearinghouse (www.abuse.net/relay.html) and ran their "mail relay testing" utility to test my system's port 25 and see if it can be used as an open SMTP eMail forwardin...

SMTP Port open
Hi All, We have an open SMTP port open on our Small Business server. We use exchange 5.5 sp4 to receive mail directly through an ADSL connection. My question is - how vulnerable are we and what if anything can be done to our detriment. Also what can we do to plug it? Regards Kevin In article <9hv1l6$1gha$2@news.grc.com>, kpassey@kdpsoftware.nospmrs.co.uk says... > We have an open SMTP port open on our Small Business server. We use exchange > 5.5 sp4 to receive mail directly through an ADSL connection. SMTP is how the email gets in. > My question is...

Open Ports Security
The more I learn about networking the more paranoid I end up getting. I've got a small home network using a WiFi LAN. My network operates behind a NAT router and I still use ZoneAlarm. If I use a Ports redirection to enable a VNC server on one of my machines what dangers am I exposing myself to!!! I appreciate the need to have a good password set but what I am wondering is, when I enable the VNC server it shows as an open port. This obviously identifies my machine on the internet, once identified am I vulnerable to any other attacks? Geoff Lane Wandering aimlessly ar...

ftp port open
How to configure WAN to close the ftp port on my SpeedStream 5851 router? I am using Covad SDSL with one static IP address. "stchai" <stchai@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:d6jrr3$2n3h$1@news.grc.com... > How to configure WAN to close the ftp port on my SpeedStream 5851 router? I > am using Covad SDSL with one static IP address. Try asking your question in dslreports. http://www.dslreports.com/nsearch?boardlist=125&cat=remark&advanced=1&125=1&p=10&o=r&q=speedstream http://www.alltel.net/downloads/links/SpeedStream211.pdf -...

SMTP port open
While running a test on probing my ports on the GRC site, port 25 (SMTP) is open. I tested them a month ago and everything was stealth including that very port. I am my wits end trying to figure out what I did to cause this. Here a little info on the specs of my machine: Windows XP Pro Zone Alarm 2.6.362 Running AOL 7.0 (unfortunately) Use MSN Messenger 4.5 > While running a test on probing my ports on the GRC site, port 25 > (SMTP) is open. I tested them a month ago and everything was stealth > including that very port. I am my wits end trying to figure out what I > d...

UDP Port Open doesnt mean the port is open
Related to the other threads that are ongoing regarding a similar issue it SEEMS as if some people might be concerned because UDP ports are being shown as open when they are running being a Stealthing device. This does not mean that your ports are in fact open. This problem i sbeing cause by the way in which the UDP protocol works. Since it is a connectionless protocol there is no set-up or tear down of connections. Packets are puched out of the computer like a mother bird teaching her babies to fly. If they make it they make it. typically the way a port scan would see a closed UD...

Open Ports what opened them
How I find out what program has opened a port on my computer. port 2105 -- There is an old Vulcan proverb. Only Nixon could go to China. Brady Wang wrote: > How I find out what program has opened a port on my computer. You can use AtGuard (no longer available), Norton Internet Security / Norton Personal Firewall (non free) <http://www.symantec.com>, TCPView Pro (non free) <http://www.winternals.com/>, Fport (free but NT/2000 only) <http://www.foundstone.com/> and a few other tools. Sebastian ...

Security with open mail port?
Right now, all of my ports are "stealthed." I'm sending mail via SMTP directly to MX and using my ISP's servers to = collect incoming mail.=20 For a number of reasons, I am really tempted to have mail sent directly = to me, bypassing the ISP. I tested today and the inflow is great but = Shields Up gave me all those nasty warnings. Assuming that I block any relays, can one of you experts tell me if am I = dramatically increasing my level of vulnerability? On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:25:51 -0500, "RJ" <rj@nowhere.com> wrote: > Right now, all of...

Are open ports a security problem?
Sheildsup indicated that I have two open ports. Port 23 (Telnet) and Port 80 (HTTP). I have an ADSL connection in which I use a Cayman NAT router. I also have ZoneAlarm installed. Should I be concerned and is there anyway to make these ports stealth? Mike <spuds@westriv.com> wrote: > Sheildsup indicated that I have two open ports. Port 23 (Telnet) and > Port 80 (HTTP). I have an ADSL connection in which I use a Cayman NAT > router. I also have ZoneAlarm installed. Should I be concerned and is > there anyway to make these ports stealth? If those ports are open on y...

Port 21 FTP Open
Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open. Should I do something about this? If so, what .... how do I fix it? Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall). "Bruce Fullerton" <znotify@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:di5h39$2gir$1@news.grc.com... > Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open. > Should I do something about this? > If so, what .... how do I fix it? > > Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall). Does the All Services scan also sho...

SMTP port open #2

Web resources about - Probe My Ports: FTP and SMTP are open - grc.security