Internet Explorer is now Windows Explorer

I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5 it opens my
browser, connects to
the internet and shows up as the IE icon in Zone alarm.  Recently I
installed Morpheus file
sharing program and then subsequently deleted it.  Now however, unless I
allow Windows Explorer
access to the internet, I cannot surf. Once I allow it, everything works
normally. I also notice that
the IE icon is not in Zone alarm, just the Windows Explorer icon.  I am
wondering what I can do
to get things back to normal or if its just really an annoyance to be
ignored.

--
         Lauri   :)

"Universal Justice is the Key to ALL!!!"
0
Lauri

Internet Options: Advanced: Check the box "Launch browser windows in a
separate process"
That should take care of the problem.

Lauri <delete-lauri999@charter.net> wrote in message
> I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5 it opens my
> browser, connects to
> the internet and shows up as the IE icon in Zone alarm.  Recently I
> installed Morpheus file
> sharing program and then subsequently deleted it.  Now however, unless I
> allow Windows Explorer
> access to the internet, I cannot surf. Once I allow it, everything works
> normally. I also notice that
> the IE icon is not in Zone alarm, just the Windows Explorer icon.  I am
> wondering what I can do
> to get things back to normal or if its just really an annoyance to be
> ignored.
>

> --
>          Lauri   :)
>
> "Universal Justice is the Key to ALL!!!"

0
David
12/13/2002 1:55:00 PM
I do not have that option.

"David" <unknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
> Internet Options: Advanced: Check the box "Launch browser windows in a
> separate process"
> That should take care of the problem.
>
> Lauri <delete-lauri999@charter.net> wrote in message
> > I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5 it opens my
> > browser, connects to
> > the internet and shows up as the IE icon in Zone alarm.  Recently I
> > installed Morpheus file
> > sharing program and then subsequently deleted it.  Now however, unless I
> > allow Windows Explorer
> > access to the internet, I cannot surf. Once I allow it, everything works
> > normally. I also notice that
> > the IE icon is not in Zone alarm, just the Windows Explorer icon.  I am
> > wondering what I can do
> > to get things back to normal or if its just really an annoyance to be
> > ignored.
0
Lauri
12/13/2002 2:06:00 PM
I do not have that option

-------------------
"David" <unknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
> Internet Options: Advanced: Check the box "Launch browser windows in a
> separate process"
> That should take care of the problem.
>
> Lauri <delete-lauri999@charter.net> wrote in message
 > I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5 it opens my
 > browser, connects to
 > the internet and shows up as the IE icon in Zone alarm.  Recently I
 > installed Morpheus file
 > sharing program and then subsequently deleted it.  Now however, unless I
 > allow Windows Explorer
 > access to the internet, I cannot surf. Once I allow it, everything works
 > normally. I also notice that
 > the IE icon is not in Zone alarm, just the Windows Explorer icon.  I am
 > wondering what I can do
 > to get things back to normal or if its just really an annoyance to be
 > ignored.
0
Lauri
12/13/2002 2:08:00 PM
I do not have that option.

---------------------
 ---------------
 Lauri <delete-lauri999@charter.net> wrote in message
 I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5 it opens my
 browser, connects to
 the internet and shows up as the IE icon in Zone alarm.  Recently I
 installed Morpheus file
 sharing program and then subsequently deleted it.  Now however, unless I
 allow Windows Explorer
 access to the internet, I cannot surf. Once I allow it, everything works
 normally. I also notice that
 the IE icon is not in Zone alarm, just the Windows Explorer icon.  I am
 wondering what I can do
 to get things back to normal or if its just really an annoyance to be
 ignored.
0
Lauri
12/13/2002 2:09:00 PM
Sorry. Damn Outlook was giving me a server errors saying to cut down the
quoted parts
yet it sent them anyway.  Sigh.

> I do not have that option.
>

> "David" <unknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
> > Internet Options: Advanced: Check the box "Launch browser windows in a
> > separate process"
> > That should take care of the problem.
> >
> > Lauri <delete-lauri999@charter.net> wrote in message
> > > I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5 it opens my
> > > browser, connects to
> > > the internet and shows up as the IE icon in Zone alarm.  Recently I
> > > installed Morpheus file
> > > sharing program and then subsequently deleted it.  Now however, unless
> > > allow Windows Explorer
> > > access to the internet, I cannot surf. Once I allow it, everything
works
> > > normally. I also notice that
> > > the IE icon is not in Zone alarm, just the Windows Explorer icon.  I
am
> > > wondering what I can do
> > > to get things back to normal or if its just really an annoyance to be
> > > ignored.

0
Lauri
12/13/2002 2:13:00 PM

>I do not have that option.

Try IE's repair feature. 5.5 might be under Tools, or try add / remove
programs IE5.5 and a dialogue box will come up with an option to repair.
"Lauri" <delete-lauri999@charter.net> wrote in

> I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5 it opens
> my browser, connects to
> the internet and shows up as the IE icon in Zone alarm.  Recently
> I installed Morpheus file
> sharing program and then subsequently deleted it.  Now however,

Just a guess...  You say "deleted it".  If true, I suggest you first
re-install and then remove it with whatever un-installation procedure
is available.

Otherwise, sorry, I have no experience with Morpheus.
0
Mark
12/13/2002 2:22:00 PM
I said delete but I should have said "Uninstalled".
I could reinstall it, but the lastest Morpheus install so much junk and
spyware
that I dont want to bother.

Lauri

"Mark V" <invalid@notvalid.net> wrote in message
> "Lauri" <delete-lauri999@charter.net> wrote in
>
> > I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5 it opens
> > my browser, connects to
> > the internet and shows up as the IE icon in Zone alarm.  Recently
> > I installed Morpheus file
> > sharing program and then subsequently deleted it.  Now however,
>
> Just a guess...  You say "deleted it".  If true, I suggest you first
> re-install and then remove it with whatever un-installation procedure
> is available.
>
> Otherwise, sorry, I have no experience with Morpheus.
0
Lauri
12/13/2002 2:54:00 PM
> I said delete but I should have said "Uninstalled".
> I could reinstall it, but the lastest Morpheus install so much
junk and
> spyware
> that I dont want to bother.

==> your remaining option requires a reg tweak;
Start\Run\regedit
Click + mark next to;
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Then drill down to;
\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BrowserNewPro
cess
In the right pane change 'NO' to 'YES'

--
Phil /MBA
                               \\\///

> I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5
> it opens my browser, connects to the internet and shows up
> as the IE icon in Zone alarm. Recently I installed Morpheus
> file sharing program and then subsequently deleted it. Now
> however, unless I allow Windows Explorer access to the
> internet, I cannot surf. Once I allow it, everything works
> normally. I also notice that the IE icon is not in Zone
> alarm, just the Windows Explorer icon.  I am wondering what
> I can do to get things back to normal or if its just really
> an annoyance to be ignored.

Lauri:

Not sure what Morpheus has to do with anything or whether it's even
connected in any way to the problem you described (I don't have it
installed on my system), BUT...

FWIW, I too noticed just recently (within the past few days or so) that
my Kerio PFW (2.14) also started popping up with an alert about Windows
Explorer wanting to access the Internet whenever I started Internet
Explorer. Very weird.

For some strange reason I suspect it might probably have something to
do with one of the Critical Updates I installed recently. Have you
installed any of the recent Critical Updates from Microsoft recently
too perhaps??

Has anyone else noticed similar behavior?

Unlike you however, whenever I deny it access, I can nonetheless still
surf just fine. <shrug>

--
    "Fish"  (David B. Trout)

(spamblocks in place; actual email
 is fish (at) infidels (dot) org)
0
Fish
12/13/2002 11:01:00 PM
I just noticed that if I deny Windows Explorer access, I get a DNS server
not found error
stopping me from surfing.

Lauri

"Fish" <fish@infidels.invalid> wrote in message
> Lauri posted the following to grc.security:

 I have Zone Alarm and in the past when I click on IE 5.5
 it opens my browser, connects to the internet and shows up
 as the IE icon in Zone alarm. Recently I installed Morpheus
 file sharing program and then subsequently deleted it. Now
 however, unless I allow Windows Explorer access to the
 internet, I cannot surf. Once I allow it, everything works
 normally. I also notice that the IE icon is not in Zone
 alarm, just the Windows Explorer icon.  I am wondering what
 I can do to get things back to normal or if its just really
 an annoyance to be ignored.

 Lauri:

 Not sure what Morpheus has to do with anything or whether it's even
 connected in any way to the problem you described (I don't have it
 installed on my system), BUT...

 FWIW, I too noticed just recently (within the past few days or so) that
 my Kerio PFW (2.14) also started popping up with an alert about Windows
 Explorer wanting to access the Internet whenever I started Internet
 Explorer. Very weird.

 For some strange reason I suspect it might probably have something to
 do with one of the Critical Updates I installed recently. Have you
 installed any of the recent Critical Updates from Microsoft recently
 too perhaps??

 Has anyone else noticed similar behavior?

 Unlike you however, whenever I deny it access, I can nonetheless still
 surf just fine. <shrug>

 --
     "Fish"  (David B. Trout)
0
Lauri
12/14/2002 12:58:00 AM
Lauri <delete-lauri999@charter.net> wrote:
> I just noticed that if I deny Windows Explorer access, I get a DNS server
> not found error
> stopping me from surfing.

I have noticed that if I allow explorer to resolve DNS once, I can remove it
from the Programs Tab with no problem.  But I believe I have seen it come
back after doing a Windows Update that changes IE.

--
Robert
List of Lists - http://lists.gpick.com/

Lauri

"Robert Wycoff" <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote in message
> Lauri <delete-lauri999@charter.net> wrote:
> > I just noticed that if I deny Windows Explorer access, I get a DNS
server
> > not found error
> > stopping me from surfing.
>
> I have noticed that if I allow explorer to resolve DNS once, I can remove
it
> from the Programs Tab with no problem.  But I believe I have seen it come
> back after doing a Windows Update that changes IE.
>
> --
> Robert
> List of Lists - http://lists.gpick.com/
> Eric Howe's Privacy and Security Site -
> http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main-nf.htm

0
Lauri

Re:Internet Explorer is now Windows explorer.
I do not have that option. -------------- Internet Options: Advanced: Check the box "Launch browser windows in a separate process" That should take care of the problem. -- Lauri :) "Universal Justice is the Key to ALL!!!" You'll need to go back to either IE 5.0 or 5.5 (I don't remember which version had that option) and check that box then upgrade to your current version again. (It will remember your choice upon upgrade) That will take care of this nuisance. Or...live with the way it is as there is no other fix for it. There use to be ...

Internet Explorer window freezes when trying to expand or shrink explorer window
I have noticed that whenever I try to expand or shrink the explorer window when viewing a page with the TabContainer Control, that it complely locks me up.  I have to end the process to get back access to the computer. Any ideas? JAYHAWKER: I have noticed that whenever I try to expand or shrink the explorer window when viewing a page with the TabContainer Control, that it complely locks me up.  I have to end the process to get back access to the computer. Base on my experience, perhaps it cause of the third party plug-ins, please desiable the third party plug-ins, and try ag...

Opening New Window without Title bar & Frames of Internet explorer, & want to set opacity as 50% to internet explorer.
Hi, All This post is related to opening new window  as pop up window with the help of javascript. Syntax is like: -  window.open('url to open','window name','attribute1,attribute2') where : - attribute1,attribute2' As with alot of other things, we have a choice of attributes you can adjust.we can use these attributes to open window as we want.now my problem start...in my case :- i dont want title bar which can be done by setting full screen property to true; which doesnt solve my problem, i want my window size as (200,200...

Now Available: Internet Explorer 8 MUI packs for Windows XP, Windows Server 03
We are pleased to announce the availability of Internet Explorer 8 Multilingual User Interface (MUI) packs for Windows XP SP2, Windows XP SP3, and Windows Server 2003 SP2. The MUI packs can be downloaded from here : http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/05/14/now-available-internet-explorer-8-mui-packs-for-windows-xp-windows-server-03.aspx -- "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

add on to EXPLORER NOT INTERNET EXPLORER
I would like to add on to EXPLORER an item to the menu (and do something) This add on should be to EXPLORER NOT INTERNET EXPLORER Any Link to information or component ??? shlomo abuisak wrote: > I would like to add on to EXPLORER an item to the menu (and do > something) This add on should be to EXPLORER NOT INTERNET EXPLORER > Any Link to information or component ??? The Windows explorer shell can be extended in many different ways, usually by writing and registering a certain type of COM object. Some things are simpler, though (like adding to the Send to or New menu). ...

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB896688).
I have lost count of the number of times during the last four weeks that Windows Update has successfully downloaded and installed Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB896688). About seven I think. I am not aware that any other update has installed itself more than once. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not I initiate the update via %SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe or just let autoupdate have its way. Anyone having the same experience? Doug >I have lost count of the number of times during the last four weeks that &g...

Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
Brief Description A security issue has been identified in the way Vector Markup Language (VML) is handled that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft Windows and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft Quick Details File Name: IE7-WindowsXP-KB938127-v2-x86-ENU.exe Version: 938127 Security Bulletins: MS07-050 Knowledge Base (KB) Articles: KB938127 Date Published: 8/25/2008 Overview A security issue has been identified in the way Vector Markup Language (VML) is handled that could allow an a...

I am unable to use the internet explorer web tabstrip in internet explorer
Hi, I am unable to see the Tabstrip web control in internet explorer, can any help for me Can you please describe what exacly are you doing and how the page markup looks like?Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. <iewc:TabStrip id="TSAwards" runat="server" TabSelectedStyle="background-color:#000000;color:#FFFFFF"                  TabHoverStyle="background-color:#777777" CssClass="con...

How to Configure Enhanced Security Features for Internet Explorer from Windows XP SP2
followup to grc.techtalk How to Configure Enhanced Security Features for Internet Explorer from Windows XP SP2 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/smallbusiness/prodtech/windowsxp/IEsecXP.mspx *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** Published: December 9, 2004 This document explains how to configure the enhanced security features of Internet Explorer from Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2) in a small business or for a standalone computer. ***********************...

ReDux: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB905915)
After uninstalling Dak's customblocking.txt from SpywareBlaster03.4 and disabling the program's other protections in preparation for updating to SpywareBlaster 3.5,� I rebooted.� Windows Automatic Update found the update below upon logging in.� This is evidently the same update installed on this machine on December 13th, 2005. A little background.� Since the 13th, due to the WMF zero-day exploit I had enabled hardware DEP, unregistered the associated DLL, and applied the unofficial patch for GDI32.DLL. In all fairness, I'm not sure that Dak's customblocking fi...

Yahoo email is now, last few weeks,very slow on Firefox;not so slow on Windows Internet Explorer
Name: PATRICIA A PETOW Email: ppetowusaatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Yahoo email is now, last few weeks,very slow on Firefox;not so slow on Windows Internet Explorer Comments: It is difficult to use Yahoo email now on Firefox & very annoying to have to switch back to Internet Explorer for email. I prefer Firefox as a browser especially the way I can organize my bookmarks. When I am using Yahoo email there are unusual delays in ordinary actions, like opening a new message, deleting a message, sending a message. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Window...

Application Explorer crashes Windows explorer
When we updated our network a few months ago, I ran into a curious problem: Upon loading ZENworks 4.0 and Novell Client 4.9 SP1a, when doing file management in Windows 2000 Explorer, explorer.exe would crash and the desktop would disappear. To start it again, you could either reboot or start the task again. This problem does NOT effect all our PCs, just 10 out of 500. The commonalities between them are: Windows 2000 SP4, Internet Explorer 6 SP1, ZENworks 4.0.1.17, Novel Client 4.9 SP1a. Any help would be appreciated. Tameko > Any help would be appreciated. Doe...

Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003
followup to grc.security.software Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894269/EN-US/ ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Article ID : 894269 Last Review : February 25, 2005 Revision : 1.0 SYMPTOMS On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft Windo...

Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) in Tcpview
Windows Explorer is trying to connect the net. Ad-aware/ Spybot/ a-Squared declared system clean. Should I block Explorer in Kerio Firewall? Thanks for any replies. John -- 1Ghz / 384mb ram / WinXP Pro Sp2 / AntiVir / Kerio 4.2.1 / Ad-aware / Spybot / a-squared "John Abraham" <Nobodyknowsabcdef@unknown.com> wrote in message news:e23jm6$pc0$1@news.grc.com... > Windows Explorer is trying to connect the net. Ad-aware/ Spybot/ a-Squared > declared system clean. Should I block Explorer in Kerio Firewall? I wonder if you are using ZoneAlarm. http:...

Web resources about - Internet Explorer is now Windows Explorer - grc.security

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... government networks of local to global scope, linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies. The Internet ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Internets ", also known as " The Internets ", is a Bushism -turned- catchphrase used humorously to portray the speaker as ignorant about the ...

Internet Evolution - The Macrosite for News, Analysis, and Opinion about the Future of the Internet
The next big leap forward in the history of the Internet is happening now: Internet Evolution (www.internetevolution.com) is a Web 2.0 online ...

New Stars Wars toy leaks early, Lucasfilm tries to remove it from the Internet
The long tentacles of Lucasfilm's Intellectual Property arm are pretty much impossible to avoid, a fact a couple of Star Wars fans from Iowa ...

China's Internet Trio Wields $80 Billion Deal Firepower in 2016
China’s three biggest Internet companies could be set for another record year of deals as their cash piles swell, unprofitable startups sell ...

Disney is using legal threats to scrub this photo of a leaked 'Star Wars' action figure from the internet ...
Disney is aggressively trying to scrub photos of a "Star Wars" action figure from the internet after it accidentally went on sale early. As ...

Internet sleuths help solve 20-year-old John Doe case
A 20-year-old mystery has just been laid to rest, with the internet banding together to help identify the car crash victim known as Grateful ...