How long must you wait for an anti-virus fix?

 Tuesday, 24 February 2004, 1:21 AM CET

Imagine that your office building was on fire, and you called the fire
department, only to be told, "Please wait there while we invent a new method
to fight the kind of fire you have."

You'd be furious! You'd expect the firefighters to rush to your building
immediately, ready to fight whatever kind of fire they found.

Unfortunately, anti-virus services are forced into a scenario that no
firefighter would accept: "We have to invent new defenses every day."
Anti-virus software can predict and prevent some never-before-seen viruses.
But all too often, a new virus can spread unchecked while software vendors
develop and distribute a new "signature" file that can match the virus and
kill it.

By Brian Livingston at Datamation.

[ Read more ]
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/executive_tech/article.php/3316511

--
Regard: Joh@nnes �  :-))
"If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle"

Johannes Niebach wrote:

> Imagine that your office building was on fire, and you called the fire
> department, only to be told, "Please wait there while we invent a new method
> to fight the kind of fire you have."
>
> You'd be furious! You'd expect the firefighters to rush to your building
> immediately, ready to fight whatever kind of fire they found.

I'm starting to understand why people dislike analogies.

Jim
0
Jim
2/25/2004 7:28:00 PM
isn't this the reason for effective heuristic scanning?

marx404
0
marx404

Fixing Inbox after anti-virus fix
My antivirus program found email.worm.Win32.Mydoom.m in my Inbox and fixed it. Subsequent sweeps say my computer is now clean. But, now when I get mail and click on it, I either get a blank or a screen full of garbage or fragments of html. (I have HTML enabled in my mail). Did my antivirus program mess-up one of my Inbox files? How do I fix it? Brian Kochera ABCDT Certified Dog Trainer Sit Stay And Beyond LLC Dog Manners Not Mayhem Brian K wrote: > My antivirus program Which one? Would be helpful for answering questions... > found email.worm.Win32.Mydoom.m...

Any Info on F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security
Does anyone have any experience with F-Secure Products? And their new corporate product "F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security"? Have searched this news group and a few forums without finding people discussing the F-Secure products.. I am looking a this product to replace the bloated Symantec AV and Zone Alarm on my peer based LAN small network. Any info on people's experience with F-Secure products would be appreciated. Acc7 On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 01:40:47 -0400, acc7 wrote: > Does anyone have any experience with F-Secure Products? And their new > corporate p...

F-Secure Anti-Virus for MIMEsweeper Virus Detection Bypass
Software: F-Secure Anti-Virus for MIMEsweeper 5.x Description: A vulnerability has been reported in F-Secure Anti-Virus for MIMEsweeper, potentially allowing malware to bypass the virus detection. The vulnerability is caused due to an unspecified error, which reportedly causes a problem with properly detecting the Sober.D virus in ZIP archives. The vulnerability has been reported in versions 5.41 and 5.42 on all supported platforms. Solution: Apply Hotfix 13: ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/support/hotfix/fsav-msw/fsavsr541-13-signed.fsfix Provided and/or discovered by: Reported b...

When loading gmail must always "reload" once unless using the secure loading site. When using the secure loading site loading takes four times as long. So I don't use the secure loading site, I just
Name: Dwight Metcalfe Email: dwmet1atgmaildotco Product: Firefox Summary: When loading gmail must always "reload" once unless using the secure loading site. When using the secure loading site loading takes four times as long. So I don't use the secure loading site, I just "reload" the other site once automatically just to save time. Hmmmmmmmm. Comments: Only been doing that about a month. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to reade...

Principal Anti virus: new anti virus sofware?
I recently came across a new anti virus program (Prinicpal anti virus) from a company called resplendence software. (http://www.resplendence.com/antivirus) Their anti virus works by alerting you to any programs or scripts which execute on your computer. When normal programs (Word, Excel) run you tick a box to say trust this program and it wont alert you anymore. If it's malware you don't allow it to run and can put it in a vault. Concept seems simple enough and pretty neat. My thoughts are that I can now get rid of 3 programs (AVG, Spybot S&D and Zone Alarm), at lea...

F-Secure Anti-Virus
Hi Is there anyone that managed to create a working zenapp to install this? I tried on Windows 2000 but the software complains that there is a problem with the installation and will not load if I install using the app i created with snapshot. Any ideas or help? Thanks Eugene In novell.support.management.zenworks.desktops.4x.app-launcher, says... > I tried on Windows 2000 but the software complains that there is a > problem with the installation and will not load if I install using the > app i created with snapshot. > > Any ideas or help? ...

F-Secure Anti-Virus
If you install F-Secure anti-virus, Delphi's licencing system produces an error and refers you to F-Secure for instructions as to how to configure f-Secure so as not to cause this problem. Does anyone know what the instructions are? I am unable to work whilst I wait for F-Secure to answer my query... > {quote:title=Mike Hall wrote:}{quote} > If you install F-Secure anti-virus, Delphi's licencing system produces an error and refers you to F-Secure for instructions as to how to configure f-Secure so as not to cause this problem. > > Does anyone know what the instruc...

Security update for avast! anti-virus
Anti-virus software vendor Alwil has released an update for its avast! virus scanning engine, which fixes at least two security-related bugs. The engine used in versions prior to version 4.7.1098 of avast! 4 Home and Professional editions has vulnerabilities in the Tar and RAR unpacker, which could be exploited by an attacker to gain access to a system. According to the report, at least in the case of the Tar vulnerability, opening an e-mail or visiting a crafted website is sufficient to trigger this vulnerability. Users of avast! should already have received the updated version...

Anti-Virus/Internet Security Package
Hello All, I am new to this ng. I've been visiting GRC on an off for the last 5 years. I am looking for an anti-virus package perhaps integrated with a firewall package. I've used symantec's Norton Antivirus plus Zone alarm in the past with good success. Now I need to upgrade and wondered if I would be better off getting an integrated package from ZONE ALARM or Symantec or going with individual anti-virus and firewall packages from different vendors. I have 1 laptop and 1 pc on a wireless network with a Linksys 2.4ghz wireless router. Both comps run XP home edition w/ svc...

F-Secure Anti-Virus and Backweb
Hi, if this has been discussed before I apologise in advance, I did do a Google Groups search and couldn't find anything. Anyway I downloaded the trial version of F-Secure Internet Security 2003 yesterday as my subscription with Panda AV was up and was looking for a rather better alternative, and noticed after running Spybot Search And Destroy that it comes with Backweb. I did a little research about Backweb and didn't like what I read, does this seem to be a rather strange partnership to anybody else, and does anyone know if it's possible to run F-Secure without Backw...

anti-virus anti spyware?
Name: steve perry Email: plus4orbustatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: anti-virus anti spyware? Comments: Does Firefox provide anti-virus and anti-spyware protection. If so do I still need to purchase 3rd Party software for these functions? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Fixes fixes fixes
Here we go again. Find attached version 1.2 of my Java wrapper classes. Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division begin 666 JavaWrappers.ssc M/"$M+5-#4DE05"!*879A5W)A<'!E<G,N<W-C(&-R96%T960@;VX@5&AU+" P M-2!!=6<@,3DY.2 P,3HT.3HT,0T*+RH@("HO#0H-"@T*+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O M+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O M+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\O+R\-"@T*+R\@2F%V82 M/B!0 M;W=E<D1Y;F%M;R!(96QP97(@8VQA<W-E<PT*+R\@5F5R<VEO;B Q+C(-"B\O M($1A=F4@5V]L9@T*+R\@8V]P>7)I9VAT(#$Y.3D@4WEB87-E($EN8R!...

Security Measures and Anti-Virus applications for Linux?
Hi guys. I know that Linux is one of the safest Operating System around - and that (at least in theory) there are just a few "viruses" written for linux in this world.. See, I am living in Germany - therefore my paranoya has some background... Thing is, that I want to secure my system as much as possible - without being offline. Now here's the question: Do you know of any good/highly recommended Anti-Virus solutions for OpenSuse? I's really love to hear your suggestions and opinions on this one. THANKS! rotfl! *- TheMask.-* -- *-Stop crying, emo...-* ...

great site for anti-virus,anti-trojans,anti-spyware,etc.
i realize half of you will probably reply that you already knew about this site, but just in case some of you haven't heard of it. I just found a great site for anti-virus, anti-trojan, anti-spyware, firewalls, etc. they test the software and rate them for you. they offer downloads for freeware,shareware and ones you can buy. they also have a lot of info. www.wilders.org ...

Web resources about - How long must you wait for an anti-virus fix? - grc.security

Kaspersky Anti-Virus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kaspersky Anti-Virus ( Russian : Антивирус Касперского ; formerly known as AntiViral Toolkit Pro ; often referred to as KAV ) is an antivirus ...

The Facebook Anti-Virus Marketplace - Facebook
Facebook Security hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel The Facebook Anti-Virus Marketplace geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen Text hier lesen. ...

Facebook roundup: FWD.us, anti-virus, paid messaging and video
... costs about $1, but the company is testing higher price points for celebrities and public figures on the site. Facebook expands free anti-virus ...

Anti-Virus Detective for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Anti-Virus Detective on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

SophosLabs - What is Fake Anti-Virus? - YouTube
Fraser Howard, Principal Researcher for SophosLabs, explains what Fake Anti-Virus (FakeAV) is, why it's a popular method of attack, and why it ...

Kaspersky Lab launches Anti-Virus and Internet Security 2014
Kaspersky has brought its Anti-Virus 2014 and Internet Security 2014 products to the Australian market.

AVG anti-virus is selling your web browsing history
As the saying goes, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

China bars Symantec, Kaspersky anti-virus software from approved vendors list
Report is latest sign Chinese authorities are seeking to limit the use foreign IT products and services.

McAfee mocks McAfee anti-virus in video rant
Eccentric software pioneer John McAfee is back in the spotlight - lashing out at the anti-virus software that bears his name in a profanity-laced ...

Russian anti-virus tycoon in five-day kidnap ordeal
Russian anti-virus tycoon in five-day kidnap ordeal