FTP Ports open, but no FTP

Hi

I have a win 2000 server set up as a web server with several IP adresses (6
total). I am running FTP service on two of these, but when I port scan, all
of the IP's have port 21 open. Is this normal?
My other services like SMTP and WEB only shows up on the IP's they are
supposed to.

If I try to connect with my FTP client on one of the IP's that is not set up
to run FTP it just says: "Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message."
and then after a while I get a timeout.

Is it normal or are some nasty Trojan listening and waiting for the right
commands to respond ;o)
0
mm

FTP to FTP
Lately I've been seeing scans show up of a port 21 trying to connect to my port 21 (I am not, BTW, running an FTP server). Is this just someone trying to use my IP as the middleman in an FTP bounce attack, assuming my port 21 had been open and with a writeable FTP directory? http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1997-27.html ...

ftp port open
How to configure WAN to close the ftp port on my SpeedStream 5851 router? I am using Covad SDSL with one static IP address. "stchai" <stchai@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:d6jrr3$2n3h$1@news.grc.com... > How to configure WAN to close the ftp port on my SpeedStream 5851 router? I > am using Covad SDSL with one static IP address. Try asking your question in dslreports. http://www.dslreports.com/nsearch?boardlist=125&cat=remark&advanced=1&125=1&p=10&o=r&q=speedstream http://www.alltel.net/downloads/links/SpeedStream211.pdf -...

ftp port open #3
How to configure WAN to close the ftp port on my SpeedStream 5851 router? I am using Covad SDSL with one static IP address. ...

ftp port open #2
How to configure WAN to close the ftp port on my SpeedStream 5851 router? I am using Covad SDSL with one static IP address. ...

Open Source FTP client with SFTP and/or FTP over SSL?
Does anyone have any recommendations for an Open Source FTP client with SFTP and/or FTP over SSL? Windows is my main platform, but any Mac and Linux recommendations would also be appreciated. Thanks In message <fdcsgs$13m5$1@news.grc.com>, Virgil Midi <some_email_address@something.invalid> writes >Does anyone have any recommendations for an Open Source FTP client with SFTP >and/or FTP over SSL? Windows is my main platform, but any Mac and Linux >recommendations would also be appreciated. Thanks Goolge "Open Source" "FTP client" SF...

Port 21 FTP Open
Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open. Should I do something about this? If so, what .... how do I fix it? Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall). "Bruce Fullerton" <znotify@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:di5h39$2gir$1@news.grc.com... > Running "Common Ports" displays port 21 as FTP port and is open. > Should I do something about this? > If so, what .... how do I fix it? > > Running Win XP Home, PC-cillin Security Suite (with firewall). Does the All Services scan also sho...

Probe My Ports: FTP and SMTP are open
When I probe my ports, I only have FTP and SMTP ports open. Is it dangerous for my computer to have those ports open ? What can I do to close them ? Are there options on Windows 2000 or on Zone Alarm Pro that can increase security on those ports ? Thank you Eric "Eric Desrochers" wrote in message news:9jnv37$a2j$1@news.grc.com... > When I probe my ports, I only have FTP and SMTP ports open. > > Is it dangerous for my computer to have those ports open ? What can I do to > close them ? Are there options on Windows 2000 or on Zone Alarm Pro that can >...

Rebex Secure FTP (FTP over TLS/SSL) for .NET Compact Framework released
Rebex Secure FTP now supports .NET Compact Framework   Rebex Secure FTP component has been extended to support .NET Compact Framework 1.0 and 2.0. Now you can secure your PocketPC/Windows CE file transfers using TLS/SSL. No more plaintext passwords sent over the internet. The Secure FTP for .NET Compact Framework includes .NET Compact Framework version of Rebex Secure Sockect library (TLS/SSL network socket client library) and Rebex Security (implementation of many security related .NET classes that are missing from some or all versions of .NET and .NET Compact Framewor...

Secure FTP file held open issue
There have been numerous posts over the first half of this year regarding SSL FTP services having issues with many clients. The problems range from a file being held open after transmitting, the server disconnecting after transmitting, or files transmitting 100% but never storing on the server. I have tried the following clients: SmartFTP v1.0 Build 981 Filezilla v2.2.7b WS_FTP Pro v8.02 and v9 Secure FTP 2 v2.0.12 The only client that seems to work is Secure FTP 2. But, we have other people trying to connect to us with other clients and do not want to switch. We are fully p...

secure ftp
Hi folks, since NW6SP4 the ftp server supports secure ftp. Does anyone knows which configuration is necessary to get this running? (certificate, port ....) I can establish an unencrypted connection but if I configure SSL on the ftp client this doesn't works. Any ideas are welcome Thanks Wolfgang Becher -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ Wolfgang Becher wrote: > Hi folks, > > since NW6SP4 the ftp server supports secure ftp. > Does anyone knows which configuration is necessary to get this running? > (certif...

Secure FTP
NW6 SP5 EDir 8.7.3.6 I'm currently running the vanilla nwftp server and I want to upgrade to secure ftp services. I'm kinda' at a loss as to what to do. I've searched the knowledgebase, but found no answers. Can someone point me to a resource? wpeacock@uga.edu wrote: > NW6 SP5 EDir 8.7.3.6 > I'm currently running the vanilla nwftp server and I want to upgrade to > secure ftp services. I'm kinda' at a loss as to what to do. I've searched > the knowledgebase, but found no answers. Can someone point me to a resource? > > Depend...

Secure FTP
Is there any options for secure FTP on Netware 5.1 or do I need to be running Netware 6.5 for Secure FTP services. WH wrote: > Is there any options for secure FTP on Netware 5.1 > or do I need to be running Netware 6.5 for Secure FTP services. > http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2966658.htm -andy ...

FTP Port
Could someone please enlighten me on the security implications of having my FTP port 21 open and the FTP host offline. Mine is only online when I'm expecting traffic, it is normally offline. ...

Secure FTP
Hi, I am currently running NW5.1 with FTP running on it. I have downloaded and installed version 5.04h of NWFTPD.NLM which from TID 2966658 I belive has secure FTP support. My only question what configuration, if any, is required on the server end to enable secure FTP. Thanks Leigh , I believe all you need is a valid SSL cert (KMO) assocaited with the server object ... and, of course, a "tested" ftps client .. Peter Novell Product Support Forum 'NDS Rules!' ...

Web resources about - FTP Ports open, but no FTP - grc.security

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land. Port ...

Port Augusta - ‘hottest place on Earth’
PORT Augusta sweltered through its fourth day of extreme heat on Saturday, confirming its status as one of the hottest places on the planet. ...

Storm in a port over the homeless MV Portland
Alcoa's unwanted ship, the MV Portland, remains without course, its crew unwilling to sail it, and its home port making it clear it is not welcome ...

NT Chief Minister Adam Giles embraces the Chinese over the Port of Darwin deal
The rest of Australia and even the US might not feel the same way about selling out a strategically crucial port to the Chinese, but the Northern ...

Apple applies for patent for ‘self-healing ports’ as it continues to work on waterproofing
... been working hard in this area – with the new phones still working after a full hour underwater. But water will always get in through ports ...

Here’s what id Software’s PC port of Mario 3 could have looked like
... John Carmack, John Romero, and the rest of the team at id Software (then known as Ideas from the Deep ) pitched Nintendo on the idea of porting ...

LA area Port Traffic increased YoY in November
First, from the Port of Long Beach: Port Sees Fifth Straight Month of Cargo Gains Strong cargo volume continued at the Port of Long Beach in ...