Can my domain/web hosting provider read my emails if I use Google Apps?

I have a personal domain registered with Godaddy and another company
that host my domain website.  On Goddaddy, I have nameserver records to
point to my domain host.  On my domain host, I setup MX records so I can
use Google Apps for my email.

This leads me to my question.  If somene sends me an email, does it go
to Godaddy first, then my domain host, then Google (Google Apps)?  Does
this mean that Godaddy and my domain host can read/copy my emails?  I am
trying to understand how nameservers and MX records work.

Thanks.

-Zak-

0
zakm

zakm wrote:

> If somene sends me an email, does it go to Godaddy first, then my
> domain host, then Google (Google Apps)? Does this mean that
> Godaddy and my domain host can read/copy my emails?  I am trying
> to understand how nameservers and MX records work.

Their SMTP server gives the email to the SMTP server
indicated in the MX record.

0
Guy
12/14/2010 4:57:58 PM
On 14.12.2010 18:27, zakm wrote:
> I have a personal domain registered with Godaddy and another company
> that host my domain website.  On Goddaddy, I have nameserver records to
> point to my domain host.  On my domain host, I setup MX records so I can
> use Google Apps for my email.
>
> This leads me to my question.  If somene sends me an email, does it go
> to Godaddy first, then my domain host, then Google (Google Apps)?  Does
> this mean that Godaddy and my domain host can read/copy my emails?  I am
> trying to understand how nameservers and MX records work.

If the mx records point to google mail (*.googlemail.com) like I have,
your ISP does not see the mail. Not even when you use gmail, as that is
SSL-secured.

--

You are destined to become the commandant of the fighting men of the
department of transportation.
On 14.12.2010 18:27, zakm wrote:
> I am trying to understand how nameservers and MX records work.
>
> Thanks.

Nameservers contain server addresses. There are special MX records for
email servers. If the MX points to gmail server, GoDaddy or your web
server or anything does not see it. The mail goes straight from the
sender ISP smtp server to gmail. No middle men.

--

You should emulate your heros, but don't carry it too far.  Especially
if they are dead.

how can I use this smtp function to submit my forms through email with a username , password and host in my web.config file
I used this function succesfully internally without using a username and password but now that the website is being hosted outside the network i need to specify a username and password to connect to the mail server. can someone tell me how to incorporate this in my code. I know you need to set it in the web.config file but I am unable to tie that into the function below.   I am not familar with the events or methods that use the setting in teh web.config can someone help me with this? thanks. Function:Private Sub SendMail(ByVal from As String, ByVal body As String) '...

Send email by using email set at google app (URGENT)
Hi there,  Currently I facing a problem to send email out.right now my customer email has been pointed to use google apps, then i trying to send email use it. but i am getting this message for port 587 "The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first." and "The operation has be timed out" for port 467.I have enable the SSL, but I still getting the same result.  Just read this forum post for few possible chances. http://www.userscape.com/helpdesk/index.php...

How to use a web user control from one web app in another web app?
I have a production web app project (at work) that has custom web user controls in it.I have another web app project for experimenting and I want to use some web controls from the production web app. The big trick is that I need to load the controls dynamically.LoadControl() doesn't seem to work - it complains about loading controls from a different application. I also tried adding a project reference to the production web app and using "UC1 newUC = new UC1();" and then "this.Controls.Add(newUC);", but the controls (like TextBoxes) on the web user control don't seem to exist on the new UC1s....

Can I use session variables in web services the same way I use them in regular ASP.Net apps?
When I convert our existing ASP.Net software to a web services architecture, can I continue using session variables the same way I did them in my original non-webservices ASP.Net application? Or I have to do a lot of re-work with respect to session variables when converting existing ASP.Net apps to a web services architecture?sun21170 Web services were designed to be stateless, but if you really want to maintain session state, check out this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnservice/html/service08062002.asp Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton'...

Using Google Apps for email?
Time for a major overhaul of email and calendaring, looking at the options. Anybody have experience (good or bad) of Google Apps or Microsoft cloud solutions? Cost of in house servers for high uptime looks high at this point. TIA > Time for a major overhaul of email and calendaring, looking at the > options. Anybody have experience (good or bad) of Google Apps or > Microsoft cloud solutions? Cost of in house servers for high uptime > looks high at this point. Zimbra can be had for zero dollars. Been using it reliably for 5 years. http://www.zimbra.com/products/zi...

Would it be possible to make sending the email optional, eg using just the domain and a secure hash of the email
Would it be possible to make sending the email to the site requiring you to authenticate (eg http://myfavoritebeer.org/) optional. The only information required by myfaveoritebeer.org is the domain to determine who can authorize the user and some unique token. Why does this have to be the user's email address eg using just the domain and a secure hash of the email? I could sign in to a site using "tagrain@gmail.com" , but only send myfavoritebeer.org "md5:05917fed26d7519fae8318f78d14592a@gmail.com" which gmail or BrowserID.org could verify as being owned b...

How are Identities used in Web App security?
I'm experimenting with security for a web application and have questions... Following the manual for using "role" authorization, I set up a new jaguar role, added some user IDs to it, e.g., "Moe", "Curly", "Larry". Let's say I made Moe and Curly authorized and excluded Larry. I then went to the props for the web app, role mapping and mapped a j2ee role to that jaguar role. I then went to the security tab, created a constraint, created a collection for /*, and assigned it to that j2ee role. Now, when I try to access the web app...

what hosting provider do you use for your web application?
im trying to decide on what provider to use, with there being so many to choose from i dont want to rush into and just get any1.  a few i found or were mentioned to me already were: http://www.eukhost.com/windows-web-hosting.php www.Isqsolutions.com www.infosaic.com i need one that has a host with Microsoft IIS runing ASP.Net if possible and one with good administration/control panal as well as affordable any ideas?   any1?  It really depends on what your budgets and requirements are.  You can search the hosting forum for advise from other people, http://...

Using IP to extra secure a web app...
Hi, I am looking for an opinion on this for a hosted web app.  There are 3 different businnes offices looking to use the 1 web app In order to keep the app as secure as possible, i was thinking that as well as using a username/password...i could also check the IP of the user so that only the IP of each office is allowable...any other IP would not be alowed in, even if the username/password matched. Does anyone have any opinions on this...is this used to keep sites secure.  All broadband users have a set IP dont they so this should work i.e. as long as the offices have ...

securing an app -- using Location in the web.config
Hi, I am most of the way thru the setup of a new app and this is driving me nuts!!!   I am trying to keep users who are not in a role from accessing some pages and folders I see documentation for this in web.config: <location path="MyAccount" >   <system.web>      <authorization>         <allow roles="Web" />       < /authorization>   </system.web></location>   where "MyAccount" is a folder o...

Can we include AJAX controls in a regular web app? or do we need to create AJAX WEB APP?
I wanted to know that to use the ajax controls that comes with asp.net 2.0, do we need to build an ajax web site or we will need to develop a regular web application and can use the ajax. As when we open visual studio 2005, it asks us that do you want to create, 1) asp.net web application OR 2) AJAX ENABLED WEB APPLICATION?     Hi! If you use AJAX ENABLED WEB APPLICATION you will have automatically: 1 - reference to System.Web.Extensions assembly (base assembly for ajax) 2 - all necessary configurations on web config 3 - a page with a script manager inside (script ...

Can I use DotNetNuke to create a web database app
I want to develop a case management web application where I have data on SQL Server and I want a web application through which I can use stored procedure to Create, view, update and delete records against the sql server. Is dotnetnuke capable of allowing me to create web application with a bunch of grid and textboxes that allows me to view and edit data stored on sql server for my user? If so where do I start? Thank you Nick Patel Of course DNN can! I have a few financial application on DNN that do essentually just that. A great place to start is the dnnJungle. Great tools ...

how to secure my mdb file in a web-hosting service provider
my company is a small company so it cannot afford to build a web server, we applied some web space on the internet and place our company website there, we found out that people can easily download the mdb file if the right url is typed into the address bar, and we want to avoid this. can someone help? decent ISPs provide a private folder in which you're meant to place your MDB files. if yours doesn't, then may I suggest it's time to change ISPs?RTFM - straight talk for web developers. Unmoderated, uncensored, occasionally unreadableJason Brown - MVP, IIS...

Can I host invididual web applications in sub domains?
Hi,I have my main site at e.g. www.mysite.comI have created 2 sub-domains:www.portal.mysite.com and also www.test.mysite.comOne I want to use for a portal and the other for testing our other site.  For this reason I want to upload separate web application source code into each sub domain.These sub-domains point to folders \portal and \test respectively off the main root (this is achieved on the hosting company's control panel).However, it seems that navigating to www.portal.mysite.com or the other subdomain causes the application residing in the root domain to load-up and not the co...

Web resources about - Can my domain/web hosting provider read my emails if I use Google Apps? - grc.security

Provider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Providers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jeppe Federspiel and Rasmus Stabell started as musicians playing drums. Years later, they joined forces to form Providers, an urban production ...

Facebook App Provider North Social Is Already Thinking About The Holidays
Facebook application provider North Social used its iFrame Editor Facebook app to create a quiz for its Facebook page, with a surprise at the ...

Apple, Google among streaming providers NFL is expecting to bid on Thursday Night Football
... information about Apple , Google , and Apple TV continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple, Google among streaming providers ...

Town that has no cell phone service loses its primary Internet provider
... and aside from satellite, the town had just one option for anything resembling modern Internet access. Unfortunately, that broadband provider ...

Public option and provider reimbursement nudges
On Twitter, there is a long and productive discussion about provider pricing and the recent study on commercial payer rate variations. Part of ...

Cable providers still have no answer for Netflix as cord-cutting accelerates
While cable providers over the past few decades have grown fat off of exorbitant cable packages that overcharge and under-deliver, the rise of ...

Comcast CEO responds to the biggest complaint about internet service providers
Henry Blodget interviewed Comcast's CEO, Brian Roberts, at the IGNITION conference on Tuesday. Blodget asked Roberts about what Comcast calls ...

Jeff Bewkes Urges Pay TV Providers To Speed On Demand And Improve Design
Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes remains one of the industry’s biggest cheerleaders for the cable and satellite programming bundle. But he told the ...

Adlink acquires IoT solution provider PrismTech
Taiwan-based industrial PC (IPC) vendor Adlink Technology has announced it will spend US$16.6 million acquiring UK-based PrismTech to strengthen ...